PDA

View Full Version : Soccercentral interview with John Carver last night

ccopela
03-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Did anyone else see this interview last night on soccercentral on Setanta?

John Carver 'confirmed' in an interview with Gerry Dobson that unless there are more roster changes Serioux and Harmse will be the starting centre backs for TFC for the first game of the season. Then there was an interview with Harmse discussing the transition from midfielder to defender.

At least we don't have to worry about Marco.

T_Mizz
03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
I thought people were cutting Marco slack? I'm more comfortable with him than Harmse

Pachuco
03-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Harmse + Serioux = better then Velez + Serioux

However, it's still not good enough in my opinion.

djking2
03-06-2009, 02:06 PM
it's still not good enough in my opinion.

agreed

I would have thought Velez myself but if that's what makes sense when you're watching them in camp what are ya gonna do.

ccopela
03-06-2009, 02:14 PM
obviously it's a long season and things are likely to change.

Tried to find video of it on the internet but it doesn't look like it exists.

nimamalek
03-06-2009, 03:03 PM
I like Harmse, i think he's going to do well at CB

Hugh Jazz
03-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Right now Carver is the best person to judge, I'm sure Harmse is looking good right now. We'll just have to wait.

Yohan
03-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Right now Carver is the best person to judge, I'm sure Harmse is looking good right now. We'll just have to wait.
Or, it's a severe case of everyone on CB looks like shite and Harmse is the best out of shite bunch

H Bomb
03-06-2009, 04:02 PM
i'm interested to see how Harmse works out. If it were up to me we'd have someone else in there but I hope that he proves many of us wrong and excels at CB.

poppamidnight
03-06-2009, 04:14 PM

I dunno....

his judgement coming into last season Columbus game sure wasn't that spot on....

I'm skecthed as hell with Harmse back there...
...After his f-ups last year, I have a tendency to cringe everytime a players goes up against harmse,
in my mind two things could happen while cringing:
1 - Harmse full on uncalled for tackle + straight red
or
2 - He just gets burned

People seem to always go on the way a player finished the season, regardless of THE ENTIRETY of the season,
Most people are argueing Harmse finished the year well,

...but what about the majority of the yr? he was right shite!
And I remember when Tyronne + Velez were out with international duty,

Harmse + James CB -
Harmse running around like a chicken w/ head cut off, and just couldnt keep up with attacking players,
...James was covering his arse....

...Julius F'n James!!! A Rookie covering Harmse's f-ups?

I'm not sure 1 offseason is enough for that full transition to be made for Harmse, I mean i fully expected him to be a bench CB from the start...

What about the two kids we signed last week?
I've heard good things + praise, but is that praise mean their starterworthy?

profit89
03-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Amadou Sanyang

BleedRed
03-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Wow...I'm starting to wonder if we were watching the same TFC games. JJ in my opinion sucked arse...Harmse did too until the end of the season where he played at CB and owned that position almost flawless. I'm happy with Harmse...good speed, strong tackler and knows to just boot it the fuck out when he needs to.

Also, I heard theres a guy on trail was on man. u, but couldnt settle work visas. Anyone heard anything about this?..i saw a wikipedia page saying he was on trial too.

Yohan
03-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Harmse did too until the end of the season where he played at CB and owned that position almost flawless.
I remember that game when Dane Richards absolutely pwned Harmse to score in NY.

Still remains to be seen whether Harmse will make it as a CB

djking2
03-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Amadou Sanyang

Played mid and set up the second goal in the NYRB preseason game. I'm still not sure what his natural position would be but if the plan is to convert him to CB we may be waiting a while for him to be ready to step in.

We have to wait til August anyway

rocker
03-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Julius James never covered for anybody.

Blizzard
03-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Julius James never covered for anybody.

This is true. JJ was a huge hole for us back there. That's not saying Harmse was great either as his execution showed but I think he understands the game better.

JJ was often getting himself out of position, not reacting properly and totally leaving his teammates out to dry.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Harmse + Serioux = red cards. Won't be dull however.

noochie
03-06-2009, 11:48 PM
I think given the chance at a full-time CB role Harmse will be able to hold his own. He did look OK there last season keeping in mind that he didn't really play in any one position on a consistent basis.

I agree though with the other sentiments that there could be (should be?) better options out there.

I_AM_CANADIAN
03-06-2009, 11:49 PM
The only thing I'm concerned about with those two back there is giving up quite a few more penalties than before... ;)

noochie
03-06-2009, 11:51 PM
^ doesn't that have more to do with the piss-poor MLS officiating :D ?

Dirk Diggler
03-06-2009, 11:58 PM
To be honest I think I'd rather prefer Velez over Harmse at CB.

NF-FC
03-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Harmse + Serioux = better then Velez + Serioux

However, it's still not good enough in my opinion.

i think the formula you are looking for is:

((Harmse+Serioux)>(Velez+Serioux))<good

colman1860
03-07-2009, 01:19 AM
People overstate Harmse's affinity to red cards due to him getting one in our first exposure to him (@ DC).

Not saying it's optimal having him at CB, but I believe we have a very strong team apart from that, and we'll be able to accommodate for that weakness with our other strengths.

Just my $0.02

jloome
03-07-2009, 01:20 AM
May also be that they don't anticipate having work clearance for Gomez in a month. It can be a real pain in the ass for African players. (Or they see them as promising backups. Who knows.)