PDA

View Full Version : Gala cut from U20s

Keegan
03-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Apparently he showed up really unfit to camp and he has been replaced by Teal Bunbury, son of former Canadian national team star Alex Bunbury.

My guess is he thought he was a lock for the team being an MLS pro and being on the last U20 squad. Really sucks for him. On the bright side Nana Attakora is the captain of this team, Nana seems really dedicated, I always pictured Gala in the same mould as far as fitness, training etc. but I guess not.

Hopefully Gala can bounce back and make the team if/when they go to the U20 World Cup. Gala was the best player on the pitch btw when Canada U20s drew Argentina 1-1 last year. I believe he also scored when Canada beat Haiti 3-0 in January and has been a part of all camps so far (4, Toronto, Switzerland and 2 Florida camps)

Edit here is the story:
http://www.24thminute.com/2009/03/mysterious-case-of-gabe-gala.html

trane
03-06-2009, 01:41 PM
I realy think that Attakora is going to develop into a great defender. The only down side, is that he may be good enough for a European league one day.

T_Mizz
03-06-2009, 01:46 PM
My hope is that Nana doesn't outgrow the MLS, meaning as he continues to grow and develop the MLS will keep up and become the type of league he's not ashamed of playing in for his entire career

trane
03-06-2009, 01:48 PM
^ That is my hope as well.

Heathen
03-06-2009, 02:15 PM
I realy think that Attakora is going to develop into a great defender. The only down side, is that he may be good enough for a European league one day.

very true, looks a natural stay-at-home defender

Pachuco
03-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Apparently he showed up really unfit to camp and he has been replaced by Teal Bunbury, son of former Canadian national team star Alex Bunbury.

My guess is he thought he was a lock for the team being an MLS pro and being on the last U20 squad. Really sucks for him. On the bright side Nana Attakora is the captain of this team, Nana seems really dedicated, I always pictured Gala in the same mould as far as fitness, training etc. but I guess not.

Hopefully Gala can bounce back and make the team if/when they go to the U20 World Cup. Gala was the best player on the pitch btw when Canada U20s drew Argentina 1-1 last year. I believe he also scored when Canada beat Haiti 3-0 in January and has been a part of all camps so far (4, Toronto, Switzerland and 2 Florida camps)

Edit here is the story:
http://www.24thminute.com/2009/03/mysterious-case-of-gabe-gala.html

So now can you get off the "fuck TFC if they cut Gala thing"?

CretanBull
03-06-2009, 02:21 PM
The few times that we've seen Gala play, I've thought that he's looked good. It's a concern though if a young player shows up out of shape....glad to see another Bunbury play for Canada - the last one was pretty good!!

Keegan
03-06-2009, 07:17 PM
So now can you get off the "fuck TFC if they cut Gala thing"?

No? Well I still think it would be stupid to cut a 19 year old who has shown nothing but promise while he has waited patiently for his shot.

rocker
03-06-2009, 07:21 PM
No? Well I still think it would be stupid to cut a 19 year old who has shown nothing but promise while he has waited patiently for his shot.

it's not stupid to dump him from TFC if he's unfit (evidenced by getting cut from the national team.)
you can't baby the young guys. if they think they've got a guaranteed spot on the team, that's disaster.
Anyhow, until he's removed from the TFC roster it's a moot point.

I'm not as big a fan of Nana as a defender, since I find him a bit slight and short for the back... (5'7 134 pounds is not enough for a defender going on 20 years old). midfield is probably where he could make a living. I think Nana has more strength, height, and ability than Gala.

TFC111
03-06-2009, 07:33 PM
it's not stupid to dump him from TFC if he's unfit (evidenced by getting cut from the national team.)

The national youth team once also cut Owen Hargreaves. Canada doesn't know shit.

rocker
03-06-2009, 07:50 PM
The national youth team once also cut Owen Hargreaves. Canada doesn't know shit.

i think the national team knows about Gala's current physical and mental state more than anybody on this board does. or more than you do.

I repeat: if he's unfit, lazy, "got issues to work out," or whatever, and TFC believes he isn't giving it his all, then his ass should be tossed. (note the "if"... he's still on the roster).

Agree or disagree?

No free spots, please.

jloome
03-06-2009, 10:08 PM
i think the national team knows about Gala's current physical and mental state more than anybody on this board does. or more than you do.

I repeat: if he's unfit, lazy, "got issues to work out," or whatever, and TFC believes he isn't giving it his all, then his ass should be tossed. (note the "if"... he's still on the roster).

Agree or disagree?

No free spots, please.

Under the Charter it's illegal to fire someone who "has issues", if they're identifiable as addiction or mental health issues. So, no, I don't think that's it -- unless it's the former, job performance. Even then, I'd say that based on his handful of appearances and how impressive he was as a winger (not at fullback, where he was anonymous), it would seem premature not to try and work something out.

But it's a cuththroat biz, after all. Or, maybe it was mutual.

Keegan
03-07-2009, 07:31 AM
you can't baby the young guys. if they think they've got a guaranteed spot on the team, that's disaster.
Anyhow, until he's removed from the TFC roster it's a moot point.

I'm not as big a fan of Nana as a defender, since I find him a bit slight and short for the back... (5'7 134 pounds is not enough for a defender going on 20 years old). midfield is probably where he could make a living. I think Nana has more strength, height, and ability than Gala.

I guess its a good thing that Nana is 6"1 185 lbs then? hahah
You are thinking of Gala who is 5'7

Luanda
03-07-2009, 08:11 AM
If Gala showed up unfit....??? Was he not training with TFC?

rocker
03-07-2009, 10:13 AM
I guess its a good thing that Nana is 6"1 185 lbs then? hahah
You are thinking of Gala who is 5'7

ya typo. replace Nana with Gabe in the part above about height and weight. :)

Gabe is too small right now to be a defender in MLS.
and 134 pounds is very weak. 5'7 is probably the shortest you'd ever consider a defender. I mean, if you're 5'7 you better have some meat on the bones or you're gonna get physically abused as a defender in MLS. He needs a growth spurt or he needs to focus on being a midfielder.

Guys like Brennan and Dunivant don't seem that big but they were at least 6 feet tall and not so scrawny. I'm 5'9 155 and I feel skinny!
As Vitti said, MLS is a physical league, so size matters.

Keegan
03-07-2009, 12:33 PM
ya typo. replace Nana with Gabe in the part above about height and weight. :)

Gabe is too small right now to be a defender in MLS.
and 134 pounds is very weak. 5'7 is probably the shortest you'd ever consider a defender. I mean, if you're 5'7 you better have some meat on the bones or you're gonna get physically abused as a defender in MLS. He needs a growth spurt or he needs to focus on being a midfielder.

Guys like Brennan and Dunivant don't seem that big but they were at least 6 feet tall and not so scrawny. I'm 5'9 155 and I feel skinny!
As Vitti said, MLS is a physical league, so size matters.

Gala isn't a defender. Sure he can play as one... but for the U20s he played as a striker lately, the farthest he goes back is left wing. Usually attacking mid left or striker. The U20s have great depth at the full back positions with Nakajima-Farran, Suprenant, Gage, Lassonde, Saiko and Sidra all capable.

J .
03-09-2009, 12:42 AM
I hope Nana gets good enough to go overseas and becomes a top class defender and not toil away as a top class MLS defender

T_Mizz
03-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Why would you say those hurtful things J?

BuSaPuNk
03-09-2009, 05:44 AM
Under the Charter it's illegal to fire someone who "has issues", if they're identifiable as addiction or mental health issues. So, no, I don't think that's it -- unless it's the former, job performance. Even then, I'd say that based on his handful of appearances and how impressive he was as a winger (not at fullback, where he was anonymous), it would seem premature not to try and work something out.

But it's a cuththroat biz, after all. Or, maybe it was mutual.

Sports even the MLS doesn't really follow this....I know they should but really it doesn't. Look at the Avery shit that happened. Was basically suspended and told not to come back becuase he had mental problems. So really shit in sports just works differently.

Hope Gala can work through these issues that he might be having and get back to fitness to get back on the U-20 team and even if we need to call on him at sometime this season.