PDA

View Full Version : Kick about

mlsintoronto
03-05-2009, 06:49 PM
I don't know who writes this thing...but this one is good. :canada:

JonO
03-05-2009, 06:57 PM
I here I thought you were looking for a pickup game...

I haven't read it - where can one find it? (or are you referring to the articles on the TFC site?)

canadian_bhoy
03-05-2009, 07:01 PM
I can't believe that Cathal Kelly is getting so much press over his...press. He was on McClown's show, Blog'd about in the US and now here on the TFC site.

Many good points made in the blog, especially in the way that they look a little deeper into the issues to show how far off base Cathal really was.

The league isn't coming to an end, but the league has failed in their attempt to bring MLS to the "big time" in the US. The idea behind beckham was that the league would jump to the "next level", attain more credible media exposure in the US, a broader audience on ESPN and the overall boom in popularity for the sport. It's been an utter failure. The league wasn't ready for that leap - and are a good 5-10 years away from it. Beckham knows that now (I think he pretty much said something to that effect).

Slow and steady will win the race here. In the end, I don't really care about the league - I just care about that silver cup and it being brought to its rightful home...

rocker
03-05-2009, 07:02 PM
http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/fans/blogs/kick_about/

ThunderTundra
03-05-2009, 07:02 PM
It was an awesome article! It destroyed CK as a useless and desperate writer. I love the Mark Twain references and the comparison of CK to the obit. writer who told of Twains death

LOL

rocker
03-05-2009, 07:09 PM
this pretty much expresses my feelings about Cathy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihsJQHt48

if you watch it at work, turn the volume down. ;)

Cashcleaner
03-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Slow and steady will win the race here. In the end, I don't really care about the league - I just care about that silver cup and it being brought to its rightful home...

No fair! Whenever I say that, I always get morons responding "if it weren't for the league we wouldn't have a team" and all that associated stupidity.

Wagner
03-05-2009, 07:30 PM
I was really hoping someone was posting about a pick-up game this weekend.
:(

gtaguy
03-05-2009, 07:33 PM
for two guys to stir the pot so much ( beckham and CK ) all i gotta say is .. F.U . the sport will continue to grow and much like the rihanna and brown crap .. One goes on and the other dies of a slow and painful death . Beckham has served his usefulness in the league and we have gotten the exposure the league was looking for .. As for ck your blogging days are numbered now that you have pissed off just about every mls fan there is out there..

jloome
03-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Yo Paul, wouldn't it make sense, in order to get people to follow the blog, for it to be identifiable as someone's work? Maybe a logo or byline or something, so people know whom they are reading?

Pachuco
03-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Hey Paul, do you guys allow Cathy into BMO field? hope you can find a way to ban him :)

TorCanSoc
03-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Paul, I thought "The Kick About" was a TFC entity. By your question, I take it its an MLS based posting.

JDG
03-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Paul, I thought "The Kick About" was a TFC entity. By your question, I take it its an MLS based posting.

Nope. It's written out of the TFC FO, but they like the anonymity.

greatwhitenorf
03-06-2009, 03:03 AM
That's a nice, droll rebuttal and thanks, Paul, for pointing it out. I think it was Forbes magazine not long ago had a feature on the world's ten richest soccer owners. Two of them - Phil Anscheutz and Paul Allen - are MLS owners. And there'll be no hat passing for MLSE.

I don't think any of us sit here and think everything's perfect with TFC or MLS. Far from it. We know what it represents, what it offers us and we're prepared to support it to help it improve. If someone is going to be critical, there has to be some balance for it to have any weight.

And where's the balance been with Kelly's endlessly negative work? Mind you, he's part of a largely joyless sports section. They're not writing for the Mensa club over at the Sun, but you get the sense that they enjoy what is essentially the fun and games dept. of the media. Larry Millson at the Globe did a great job putting everything into a fair and objective context and it wasn't all lollipops and roses.

It's sad to think Star sports editors are so uninformed about soccer that they can't perceive what looks like a personal agenda and allow a writer use such a valuable platform to constantly rage at just one player, his wife, and now escalate it into an unjustified cheap shot at him, plus MLS and those who support it. Honest editors don't allow that to happen.

So let''s let this weightless wonder wither away, to journey toward the answer to David Bowie's question, 'Who can bear to be forgotten.'

trane
03-06-2009, 07:07 AM
No fair! Whenever I say that, I always get morons responding "if it weren't for the league we wouldn't have a team" and all that associated stupidity.

I feel the same, and I always get the same response as well.

Arnie Knows
03-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Hey Paul, do you guys allow Cathy into BMO field? hope you can find a way to ban him :)

Wow , why would TFC ban him ..Because people don't like what he's saying .. Yes only fluffy suck ass pieces can be written about the almighty TFC..

Arnie Knows
03-06-2009, 10:38 AM

My guess is you don't write it but surely look it over and give a stamp.

IMO the article should have a name associated with it .. Hiding behind the mask of anonymity is sort of lame..

JDG
03-06-2009, 10:47 AM
My guess is you don't write it but surely look it over and give a stamp.

IMO the article should have a name associated with it .. Hiding behind the mask of anonymity is sort of lame..

I think this is done because it's not written by the same person each time.

Arnie Knows
03-06-2009, 10:55 AM

ok , but if u wrote something I am sure you would want to put your name to it..
not a big deal really ..:):)

Jack
03-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Honestly, do we need to give Catheter any more of our time?

Steve
03-06-2009, 10:58 AM

I think Paul wrote this one (though he should have linked to the actual entry in his post, maybe he felt bad pimping his own writing).

TFC111
03-06-2009, 07:34 PM

It's probably the same person their consistent.

Derko
03-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Wow , why would TFC ban him ..Because people don't like what he's saying .. Yes only fluffy suck ass pieces can be written about the almighty TFC..

TFC would not ban CK, but he is like Howard Stern, a shock jock that gets exposure by bad mouthing Football (Soccer), There is nothing wrong with objective reporting and critisism, not just stupid reporting.

H Bomb
03-06-2009, 10:02 PM
gotta change the name of this thread....i keep getting excited at the idea of a kickabout.:D

Suds
03-06-2009, 10:13 PM
this pretty much expresses my feelings about Cathy...

Honestly, do we need to give Catheter any more of our time?

I like all the witty names people keep coming up with for Kelly ... any others?:D

ExiledRed
03-07-2009, 12:11 AM
I like all the witty names people keep coming up with for Kelly ... any others?:D

yeah.....there's "shit nosed wanker" and "fuckwitted slaphead" for a start.

Flipityflu
03-07-2009, 12:56 AM
i call him cunty kelly myself.