PDA

View Full Version : New Face(s) of Toronto FC

Luanda
03-04-2009, 10:06 AM
OK, compared to the team that ended last season, we now have 8 new faces with TFC: Stefan Frei, Adrian Serioux, Emmanuel Gomez, Amadou Sanyang, Sam Cronin, Dwayne De Rosario (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t280&player=derosario_d&playerId=der474619&statType=current), Pablo Vitti, O’Brien White.

One goal keeper, three defenders, two mid-fielders, and two strikers: 3 are Canadians, 4 Internationals, and 1 US.

Two of the Canadians (SERIOUX and DE RO) are sure to start, as is one of the Internationals (VITTI).

All of these additions, but especially the starters, will definitively change the face of TFC. But how so? In terms of team chemistry, how will they gell (or not) with those remaining from last season; who will emerge as leaders both within and outside the pitch? And equally if not more important, what will be their impact upon the playing style of the team?

Food for thought. :yum:

Stouffville_RPB
03-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Robbo, Jimmy and Danny are the unquestioned leaders of the team. Mo and Carver are really careful about team chemistry and I think that they really look into character before they bring in players. I can't see them bringing in problems.

DeRo, Serioux and White are coming back to their hometown. Along with Brennan they really do make this Toronto FC.

The young players all seem to be willing to learn and realize that they aren't top on the depth chart but are ready to work on getting there.

Vitti was welcomed with open arms and after a less than successful stint in the Ukraine, where I hear they never even spoke to him, I can't see him being very unhappy hear.

Chemistry won't be an issue in my opinion.

As far as style, much more offensive. With our upgraded attack and somewhat questionable defense look for TFC to be putting pressure on opponents in their third of the pitch.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Pretty much agree with Stoufville
I see the majority of our starters starting last year a) for chemistry sake and b) because they are our better players, alot of our new experienced players (ie not draft picks) were brought in with the intention of most likely starting, i suspect it wont take long to gel quickly (same goes for the youngins)

cougars732
03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
so are we calling for velez in the starting line up in first match?
or give it up to Gomez?

ThunderTundra
03-04-2009, 10:36 AM
or give it up to Gomez?

I think we will start with Velez and likely try and work Gomez into the role through him being involved with reserves and coming up to play in the bigs as a sub a few times. I don't think we will see him in that position full time until a year, year and a half from now, but he definitely brings us depth and starter capability

TOfan
03-04-2009, 10:37 AM
I am very pleased - the big difference this year is these players have been signed in the pre-season, not part way through the season. The team has a chance to gel and get comfortable with each other's style of play.

Shway
03-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Geeze Lousie, i say we give Velez the start, give him the chance, its his second season, if he then proceeds to play shite, then he gets removed, and cant say he didnt get his chance, but i honestly think this guy needs to get a break!

drewski
03-04-2009, 10:41 AM
what happened to Kyle Hall? don't see him on the roster anymore and I haven't heard any news about a trade or release

Shaughno
03-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Geeze Lousie, i say we give Velez the start, give him the chance, its his second season, if he then proceeds to play shite, then he gets removed, and cant say he didnt get his chance, but i honestly think this guy needs to get a break!

He's slightly overcriticized on this board that's for sure. He's not great, but he wasn't as terrible as people make him out to be. He made mistakes, blunders even, but so did some of our best players, including our Captain.

DRock
03-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I think Velez will play much better with someone other than Marshall beside him. I'm not saying that Marshall was completely horrible, but sometimes stirring the pot really helps.

rocker
03-04-2009, 10:47 AM
what happened to Kyle Hall? don't see him on the roster anymore and I haven't heard any news about a trade or release

guess he was gone with the signings of the gambians, since I think the team has only 1 senior spot left.

I noticed a strange thing... the older Gambian, Gomez, is listed as "senior developmental" while the younger is listed as a member of the senior roster.
seems weird. I wonder if that'll change when the season begins, since the younger one can't play until August.

Shaughno
03-04-2009, 10:49 AM
I think Velez will play much better with someone other than Marshall beside him. I'm not saying that Marshall was completely horrible, but sometimes stirring the pot really helps.

They definitely left each other hanging on many occasions. Hopefully Serioux and Velez can form a solid partnership because I like the passion and intensity Velez brings to the games.

TheresOnlyOneDeGuzman
03-04-2009, 11:13 AM
or give it up to Gomez?

Nana. I dont know why but people seem to either be underrating him or think he's a right back.

duomaxwell
03-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Any improvement to the quality of the players will definitely override whatever loss in chemistry there might have been... Unless u get a bad cancer on ur team like Sean Avery (points if you get the reference)

loconet
03-04-2009, 11:22 AM
You know what one of the new faces also brings? Amazing long range free-kicks..

/v/g8oFwhWLSyQ

0:56 :eek:

T_Mizz
03-04-2009, 11:27 AM
I like the fact that our whole team, except maybe Serioux, has had virtualy the entire preseason to be together, remmeber the Gambians were in for a trial early on. And I see the last spot staying open until the summer when Mo will bring in a half priced DP

rocker
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I like the fact that our whole team, except maybe Serioux, has had virtualy the entire preseason to be together, remmeber the Gambians were in for a trial early on. And I see the last spot staying open until the summer when Mo will bring in a half priced DP

ya, with the way rosters change so much in MLS every season, getting a whole preseason with 90% of your projected players is vital... and 65% of the roster played last season too.

T_Mizz
03-04-2009, 11:36 AM
This is truly the greatest consistency we've ever had going into a season and I'm excited about how well it bodes for us

Steve
03-04-2009, 11:37 AM
He's slightly overcriticized on this board that's for sure. He's not great, but he wasn't as terrible as people make him out to be. He made mistakes, blunders even, but so did some of our best players, including our Captain.

As has been said, this board has a tendency to pick a scapegoat and blame everything wrong that happens on them. I just hope the players don't read this board, because it can't be good for their confidence. The truth is, of all of our players, at the beginning of last season, I thought Velez fed off of the energy at BMO the most (we had a BUNCH of early season shutouts). I'm not saying he's a great player, but I don't have a problem with giving him another shot.

T_Mizz
03-04-2009, 11:40 AM
As has been said, this board has a tendency to pick a scapegoat and blame everything wrong that happens on them. I just hope the players don't read this board, because it can't be good for their confidence. The truth is, of all of our players, at the beginning of last season, I thought Velez fed off of the energy at BMO the most (we had a BUNCH of early season shutouts). I'm not saying he's a great player, but I don't have a problem with giving him another shot.
True say man, I think of all the players on the team he seems to play with the most passion for TFC. This is sometimes good and sometimes bad though. As was mentioned in another thread he was the first player to kisss the crest in celebration of a goal.

Shaughno
03-04-2009, 11:40 AM
^^ Exactly my sentiments.

olegunnar
03-04-2009, 11:42 AM

That'd be a good poll

Who's this years frontrunner for the Andy Welsh memorial scape goat trophy.

His name is engraved on it for 2007

For 2008 I think it was split between Samuel and Velez.

2009? My guess is Velez or Guevara.

Shaughno
03-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Velez or Vitti IMO.

T_Mizz
^Too early to say IMO but I think given that it's third year I'd say Mo or Carver, but in terms of players Sutton is due for a breakout scapegoat season

TorontoBlades
...my guess...and i hate to say it... is Ricketss, or Brennan - for scapegoat

olegunnar
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I dunno

I think it's already started here with Guevara. The he only cares about his national team stuff...plays harder for them...why isn't he at camp...all that angst that's been building up.

Add to that his game is that of a providor so if Dero and Dichio and Barrett (his star status came out of nowhere) , and Vitti aren't finishing Guevaras game will be under appreciated.
AND, while I'm on a roll here...I can't see any of the above losing their fan fav status...I'd also add to that Ricketts with his blog, merch and psuedo charity efforts, and his cousin posting here...that insolates him from blame (except from angry old racially insensitive Scots named Bobby) :D

I dunno....I think Guevara is the dark horse in this race.

bene89
03-04-2009, 11:56 AM
My guess is nobody because we won't have any blame to lay on anyone as we'll be playing so well.

Shaughno
03-04-2009, 11:56 AM
^^ All good points. My reason for Vitti is that if he doesn't perform to 'certain standards' he'll be tossed under the bus quite quickly me thinks. 3 games without a goal and he's the next Cunny. ;)

Hugh Jazz
03-04-2009, 01:54 PM
What I really like about our new faces is the balance in age. DeRo and Serioux are both MLS veterans, the draft picks and Gambians will all bring youthful enthusiasm and a guy like Vitti, who's been around quite a bit still has a lot to prove but isn't too old to do it. Looks like a great mix.

cougars732
03-04-2009, 02:42 PM
i say serioux and harmse pick up 3 red cards each this year in league play.
potential for serious holes in the D

rocker
03-04-2009, 02:56 PM
i say serioux ...... 3 red cards

that's unlikely.

you're saying Serioux will get 3 times more reds than he's earned in his whole career?

Serioux has 1 red card in 54 MLS games.

and it was his welcome card to Beckham. :)

Dozitwin
03-04-2009, 02:59 PM

I agree.

Last season Valez was dumped on at the begining of the season but as he played quite a few of us were praising him. Yes he made mistakes but so did every defensive player we had.

Keep in mind that he didn't loose his spot as a starter because he wasn't performing, he lost it because he was given the chance to captain the team, took a stupid, undiciplined red card for retaliation and foudn himself in JC's and our dog house (and rightly so). By the by it was the same dog house that Harmse was in after the DC red card and when JC let him back on the field in a CD role, he earned a little bit of respect with is performance. I think Valez deserves another shot to prove that he belongs in that CD spot beside Serioux.

Luanda
03-04-2009, 03:57 PM
What I really like about our new faces is the balance in age. DeRo and Serioux are both MLS veterans, the draft picks and Gambians will all bring youthful enthusiasm and a guy like Vitti, who's been around quite a bit still has a lot to prove but isn't too old to do it. Looks like a great mix.

Without Hall, 24.5 is now the average age. Young Turks on the waiting list!

Broadview
03-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Nana. I dont know why but people seem to either be underrating him or think he's a right back.

Nana's only had a few actual training sessions with the team due to injury and being called up with the U20's. If the season started tomorrow he'd likely be pretty far down on the depth chart at CB. We'll see what happens in a few weeks. It'd be great if he surprises the world and turns out to be the defender we've all been waiting for and he was here the whole time ;)

Oldtimer
03-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Velez is not a starter IMO, but good enough to be bench strength.

Plus, he translates for our Hispanic players.

Luanda
03-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Folks, your views are appreciated. But there is one big, broader question that no one has or seems willing to ask. That is...

Yes Toronto has become better throughout the pitch, from the back to the front. However, meanwhile, other MLS teams have not been sitting on their rear ends. Not a few have also gotten better. Has TFC become that much better than the opposition that the playoffs (at a minimum) are a legitimate aspiration?

Shaughno
03-06-2009, 08:00 AM
I honestly believe we have the most talented midfield in the league. Whether that translates into results on the pitch, is a whole other story.

koryo
03-06-2009, 08:06 AM
I honestly believe we have the most talented midfield in the league. Whether that translates into results on the pitch, is a whole other story.

Weren't you saying the same thing roughly 11 months ago? This time though I think you're right. I don't have that "false dawn" sense that I did when we were doing well last May and June.

Well, not yet.

Without getting carried away though, I think this team is good for 13 or 14 wins this year if we stay healthy.

daner90
03-06-2009, 08:15 AM
The best part is not only do we possibly have the best midfield in the league but we actually have strikers up front who should be able to finish off the plays and score some goals!

Shaughno
03-06-2009, 08:16 AM
We did have a talented midfield at that point and we've only strengthened it since. It was debatable before, now I'm pretty damn sure it's clear.

Agreed though, we should have a good run this year all things going well.

koryo
03-06-2009, 08:19 AM
We did have a talented midfield at that point and we've only strengthened it since. It was debatable before, now I'm pretty damn sure it's clear.

It's a midfield good enough to provide quality service to who ever's up front. Watch Barret bag a few this year. Dichio might have one last hurrah as a super sub. Vitti... don't know him, but if he can do the business then I'll not complain.

Anyone taking bets on when the first "Dero doesn't score enough" thread happens? :)

Shaughno
03-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Agreed as well. Between DeRo and Vitti, someone's bound to complain that they aren't scoring enough.

Oldtimer
03-06-2009, 08:51 AM
The Dynamo have clearly become worse. Losing DeRo sunk their CL hopes.

Shaughno
03-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Despite his 'decline in performance', it's quite obvious that he brought a lifeline to the team. Hopefully he does the same for us.

brad
03-06-2009, 09:04 AM
They definitely left each other hanging on many occasions. Hopefully Serioux and Velez can form a solid partnership because I like the passion and intensity Velez brings to the games.

And the threat on attacking set plays.

Shaughno
03-06-2009, 09:07 AM
^^ Very true, both very prominent figures in the air.

brad
03-06-2009, 09:09 AM
^^ Very true, both very prominent figures in the air.

And in Serioux, a prominent figure from the touchline with that monster throw.

Shaughno
03-06-2009, 09:11 AM
On long throws we can always sing...

Who needs Rory Delap, when we've got Serioux!

Heathen
03-06-2009, 09:18 AM
The big question is will nascar be able to find a Gambian flag in time for the start of the season :noidea:

Steve
03-06-2009, 09:19 AM
The Dynamo have clearly become worse. Losing DeRo sunk their CL hopes.

DeRo is definitely a big game player. He steps up when the stakes are high. I just hope that for him, making the playoffs makes every game this season a "high stakes" match.

T_Mizz
03-06-2009, 12:24 PM

Just for clarity's sake who was our midfield comprised of 11 months ago?

Luanda
03-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Just for clarity's sake who was our midfield comprised of 11 months ago?

It would be nice if the TFC web site listed the annual rosters. The team is but a few years old. But TFC needs to start developing tools of memory.

drewski
03-06-2009, 12:38 PM
wiki has the 2008 roster and player appearances for 07

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC_2007#Appearances

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC_2008#Squad

T_Mizz
03-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Oh yeah Robert, Guevara, Robbo, Ricketts solid midfield (in theory)