PDA

View Full Version : Cathal Kelly spews ignorance on the Fan

arbogast
03-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Cathal
Calles the league "Minor League Soccer", says the league is essentially "contracting" and the american consumer will never clue in to the sport for another generation if Beckham leaves. I've had it with his misinformed drivel. What a boob. Why is this guy employed as a writer?

He's on at the end of the podcast:

http://www.fan590.com/onair/primetimesports/

Stouffville_RPB
03-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Don't worry about the haters of the game. Just enjoy it. If idiots can't see what their missing out on that's their problem. I don't pay attention to these people anymore.

greatwhitenorf
03-03-2009, 08:39 PM
We learn, not long ago, that Bobo McClown went to high school with the Star's bitter anti-soccer columnist Dave Parkins.

The Star tries every which way to oppose the building of BMO Field. They do the same when the MLS franchise for Toronto is awarded to MLSE.

They fail on both counts.

If you were the size of paper the Star is, or a columnist with the hubris of McClown, you'd not be taking that kind of re-buffing lightly. So they set about with this kind of on-going, long-term anti-soccer reporting.

All of this comes on the heels of Montreal drawing 55,000 for a midweek, Concacaf Champions League game. It comes at a time when Seattle, with ownership to die for, announces they'll be expecting crowds of over 25,000 every game.

It comes at a time when the CFL is shitting cinder blocks as it realizes that it's future is about to become seriously jeopardized as it faces mounting competition for a fan and a sponsor's sports dollar, here in Toronto, in Ottawa, in Montreal, in Vancouver and possibly even in Hamilton. And Alberta's time will come soon. It's a league that can ill afford even the slightest amount of competition as it operates on the tighest of profit margins. Check out Jeff Hunt's new diaper collection in Ottawa.

It's a league calling in every favour from every media friend they've cultivated with free drinks and schwingy party girls at every Grey Cup party the past few years.

The advent of MLS and its subsequent growth and development have come against all odds as mainstream media in North America have worked, without any real sense of conspiracy I might add, to make it look marginal and inconsequential. And they've failed.

The ability to deliver soccer product and fan contact on the internet or over specialized television signal delivery systems has utterly negated the mainstream media's efforts.

Cathal Kelly. Bobo Mcclown. wee davey perkins. The Star. The CFL and all its hyuk-hyuk, backslapping media buddies. TSN, the CFL's favorite network, who strive to minimize and even ridicule soccer even though they're a rights holder of a premium product in Champions League soccer.

These are all sad and desperate people who are spouting anti-soccer messages that just don't matter anymore.

Because if they did, TFC and MLS would already have been dead and buried.

Redcoe15
03-03-2009, 08:56 PM
I think Bobo McClown wanted Kelly on his program just to puff his chest up and tell Stephen Brunt nyah-nyah, told ya so. Anything to try and smear TFC.

CretanBull
03-03-2009, 08:57 PM
^ +1

Chevy
03-03-2009, 09:03 PM
I know its difficult, but what we must do is force our collective ignorance on Kelly just as he has done to Major League Soccer.

MUFC_Niagara
03-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Cathal
Calles the league "Minor League Soccer", says the league is essentially "contracting" and the american consumer will never clue in to the sport for another generation if Beckham leaves. I've had it with his misinformed drivel. What a boob. Why is this guy employed as a writer?

He's on at the end of the podcast:

http://www.fan590.com/onair/primetimesports/

While I agree with the Minor League Soccer bit, NO ONE should be shitting on TFC. They are the cream of the league.

Bobo
03-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I think Bobo wanted Kelly on his program just to puff his chest up and tell Stephen Brunt nyah-nyah, told ya so. Anything to try and smear TFC.

Not me! So no hate mail please. :p

BuSaPuNk
03-03-2009, 09:15 PM
We learn, not long ago, that Bobo McClown went to high school with the Star's bitter anti-soccer columnist Dave Parkins.

The Star tries every which way to oppose the building of BMO Field. They do the same when the MLS franchise for Toronto is awarded to MLSE.

If you were the size of paper the Star is, or a columnist with the hubris of McClown, you'd not be taking that kind of re-buffing lightly. So they set about with this kind of on-going, long-term anti-soccer reporting.

All of this comes on the heels of Montreal drawing 55,000 for a midweek, Concacaf Champions League game. It comes at a time when Seattle, with ownership to die for, announces they'll be expecting crowds of over 25,000 every game.

It comes at a time when the CFL is shitting cinder blocks as it realizes that it's future is about to become seriously jeopardized as it faces mounting competition for a fan and a sponsor's sports dollar, here in Toronto, in Ottawa, in Montreal, in Vancouver and possibly even in Hamilton. And Alberta's time will come soon. It's a league that can ill afford even the slightest amount of competition as it operates on the tighest of profit margins. Check out Jeff Hunt's new diaper collection in Ottawa.

It's a league calling in every favour from every media friend they've cultivated with free drinks and schwingy party girls at every Grey Cup party the past few years.

The advent of MLS and its subsequent growth and development have come against all odds as mainstream media in North America have worked, without any real sense of conspiracy I might add, to make it look marginal and inconsequential. And they've failed.

The ability to deliver soccer product and fan contact on the internet or over specialized television signal delivery systems has utterly negated the mainstream media's efforts.

Cathal Kelly. Bobo Mcclown. wee davey perkins. The Star. The CFL and all its hyuk-hyuk, backslapping media buddies. TSN, the CFL's favorite network, who strive to minimize and even ridicule soccer even though they're a rights holder of a premium product in Champions League soccer.

These are all sad and desperate people who are spouting anti-soccer messages that just don't matter anymore.

Completely agree with you. As far as I'm concerned TSN, The Star, Cathal, and Bobo Mcclown can go fuck themselves and screw there colective CFL/MLB loving asses. Listen this is coming from someone in Bobo who doesn't even understand hockey for f'n sakes. These guys will be the same people who are going to jump on the bandwagon when this leauge gets bigger and better and when TFC wins the MLS Cup.

End Rant.

Suds
Well ... if the continued trend of dropping revenues and circulation continues nobody will have to worry about reading anything from him ... All under Torstar Corp. - The Star (revenues down, circulations down), Wokopolis.com 14% drop in revenue, Toronto.com drops in advertising revenue etc. etc. etc. ...

Maybe Kelly can switch to writing Harlequin novels ... that's about the only thing selling at Torstar these days.

TorCanSoc
Ha ha Mclown !!! What a catcher! Basically fumbling you can tell he doesn't research shit all. At 31:38 Brunt is dumb founded "Do you want me to correct you as you go along or do I sit here and listen?"

How does Brunt not punch this a-hole in the head.

Redcoe15
03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Not me! So no hate mail please. :p

I think Bobo McClown wanted Kelly on his program just to puff his chest up and tell Stephen Brunt nyah-nyah, told ya so. Anything to try and smear TFC.

Last edited by Redcoe15 (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/posthistory.php?p=399568); 1 Minute Ago at 09:14 PM. Reason: So as not to confuse Bobo McClown with our forum member Bobo

Happy?

Toronto_Bhoy
03-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Well ... if the continued trend of dropping revenues and circulation continues nobody will have to worry about reading anything from him ... All under Torstar Corp. - The Star (revenues down, circulations down), Wokopolis.com 14% drop in revenue, Toronto.com drops in advertising revenue etc. etc. etc. ...

Maybe Kelly can switch to writing Harlequin novels ... that's about the only thing selling at Torstar these days.

Hey! Hey! Careful Suds! That's where I work and we are doing very well thanks!

Chevy
03-03-2009, 09:22 PM

Friggin' beautiful. I will even give him a start...

Kelly: As I looked at him across the sparkling emerald (and plastic) pitch, I could barely manage to bring his name to my lips....Amado...

Amado: Qué pasa si he puesto mi pie hasta su lirio blanco ass!!

ExiledRed
03-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Friggin' beautiful. I will even give him a start...

Kelly: As I looked at him across the sparkling emerald (and plastic) pitch, I could barely manage to bring his name to my lips....Amado...

Amado: Qué pasa si he puesto mi pie hasta su lirio blanco ass!!

Samuel: Did someone say pie?

revised.....

TorCanSoc
03-03-2009, 09:26 PM
I used agree with Cathal Kelly on some of his less than glorious articles. But now this guy is just negative with anything MLS. What an ass.

boban
03-03-2009, 09:37 PM
While I agree with the Minor League Soccer bit, NO ONE should be shitting on TFC. They are the cream of the league.
???? :confused:

Kooper
03-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I find it really strange that Cathal Kelly who seems to hate the game and know nothing about the game, culture and the business of the game is still writing their soccer articles.

MUFC_Niagara
03-03-2009, 09:43 PM
???? :confused:

I don't understand....

Bender
03-03-2009, 09:44 PM
revised.....

hahahaha those pie jokes never get old to me.

NF-FC
03-03-2009, 09:45 PM

I wish we could spread rep on this board

J .
03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Cathal Kelly is a dumbass. So what if Beckham leaves the Galaxy. No different then Edu heading to Rangers.

DUH MLS is as smaller league but its a good one with growing talent. Entertaining matches and a growing fan capacity. Shit the future of MLS is in Canada with three franchises and a possible one in Ottawa and Alberta...

stretchthetruth
03-03-2009, 10:10 PM

[insert slow-clap here]

dead on.

tfcleeds
03-03-2009, 10:23 PM
I guess it really hurt McClown's pride to have 3 pro-soccer guests on his show a couple of weeks back (Forrest, Reed, and Frew) - so having Cathal on his program probably gave him some satisfaction.

BTW, I stupidly agreed to a trial subscription for the Toronto Star a few weeks back - I'll be cancelling it tomorrow.

Azerban
03-03-2009, 10:23 PM
a soccer supporter reading kellys articles is like a mother of 3 reading the diary of Josef Fritzl

Super Cereal
03-03-2009, 10:56 PM

I think that's a bit unfair. The CFL and MLS can co-exist. MLS expansion in Ottawa is looking more and more unlikely, Jeff Hunt has no reason to be worried about his CFL bid.

I think you're over-dramatizing the CFL almost as much as The Star is with MLS.

Mrs. Workie
03-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Hey I've got a question.

If you hate what he has to say so much, why do I keep seeing threads about it?

IGNORE IT.

There. Over. Next.

GuelphStorm2007
03-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Some of these sportscasters like Mcown, Perkins, and the late Pat Marsden are like the Toronto Sun Columninsts, Big Oil,etc, they are ignorant and afraid of change, or something different, In there world only what they see as good is the norm, If something different comes accross they will critic it without looking at first.Pretty narrowminded

greatwhitenorf
03-04-2009, 12:34 AM
I think that's a bit unfair. The CFL and MLS can co-exist. MLS expansion in Ottawa is looking more and more unlikely, Jeff Hunt has no reason to be worried about his CFL bid.

I think you're over-dramatizing the CFL almost as much as The Star is with MLS.

The Alouettes lose money. The Argos don't make much on average. Hamilton barely scrapes by and regularly loses money. Vancouver has done OK lately but has had a patchy history, financially, the past two decades.

That's half the league feeling good about themselves if they duck red ink in any given year.

Jeff Hunt makes brave noises about sharing a possible new CFL stadium arrangement with Eugene Melnyk's potential MLS franchise in Ottawa. Not possible. The presence of a soccer team would simply consign the CFL team to the sort of marginal existence that's already seen two Ottawa teams fold. Eugene Melnyk has deep enough pockets to outlast the CFL.

That's not being unfair. That's not being dramatic. As Bill Murray once so exquisitely put it: "THAT'S THE FACT, JACK!"

Super Cereal
03-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Jeff Hunt makes brave noises about sharing a possible new CFL stadium arrangement with Eugene Melnyk's potential MLS franchise in Ottawa. Not possible. The presence of a soccer team would simply consign the CFL team to the sort of marginal existence that's already seen two Ottawa teams fold. Eugene Melnyk has deep enough pockets to outlast the CFL.

Hunt knows that full well. But it's a good way to make himself come off as the good guy, rather than selfish.

Melnyk's deep pockets may not get a chance to outlast the CFL. If city council agrees to Hunt's proposal over Melnyk's and the CFL team and Landsdowne go ahead as planned, do you really see Ottawa ever getting an MLS team? I can't see Ottawa supporting CFL and MLS, and I expect city council to see it the same way.

Hey, I pray Ottawa gets an MLS team, I may even buy season tickets if they do. But I just don't think it's very likely. Just my two cents.

the-lower-eastsider
03-04-2009, 01:21 AM

Because if they did, TFC and MLS would already have been dead and buried. fantastic post mr norf. and just to add to this, lets put it this way. how many young people are becoming CFL fans? not many IMO. most of its die hard supporters are older and getting older everyday. and how many young people are becoming soccer fans. tons. absolutely tons. its a slam dunk. yeah the MLS is a fledgling league (and it may get worse), but the CFL has absolutely nowwhere to go. theyre really just "hanging on". theyre really just prolonging the enivitable. and that is: its ultimate demise. soccer is on the rise in this country. and it will ultimately take over. mark my words. the CFL is a dying breed. just like drinkin and drivin and throwin garbage out the car window on the way to the cottage.
lumpy

Still Kicking
03-04-2009, 07:32 AM
With you on the shrinking CFL. My day job is teacher so I know teenagers. Ask a teen in my neck of the woods (Etobicoke) to start naming favourite athletes and you will get a long list of NBA stars with some International soccer players sprinkled in. You might get a NFL player or two. The sports that do not exist in these teen's minds are CFL, NHL and MLB. Tom Anselmi has been quoted on this - saying both NHL and baseball are having to do outreach activities in Toronto to reach the teens who breathe hoops and soccer.
I grew up with the Argos, can remember the Leo Cahill era when they were bigger than the Leafs - but every month those with memories of those glory days (and the huge Star sections filled with photos of the latest Argo-RoughRiders playoff game) are shuffling off and they are not being replaced. You don't have to hate the CFL to understand how it continues to fade.

Fort York Redcoat
03-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Melnyk's deep pockets may not get a chance to outlast the CFL. If city council agrees to Hunt's proposal over Melnyk's and the CFL team and Landsdowne go ahead as planned, do you really see Ottawa ever getting an MLS team? I can't see Ottawa supporting CFL and MLS, and I expect city council to see it the same way.

I can't see Ottawa supporting a CFL team period. 3rd times the charm? pish. Blame management all you want in the capital but the # of people getting out to games were unimpressive when I attended during it's last guise.

Roogsy
03-04-2009, 09:15 AM
With you on the shrinking CFL. My day job is teacher so I know teenagers. Ask a teen in my neck of the woods (Etobicoke) to start naming favourite athletes and you will get a long list of NBA stars with some International soccer players sprinkled in. You might get a NFL player or two. The sports that do not exist in these teen's minds are CFL, NHL and MLB. Tom Anselmi has been quoted on this - saying both NHL and baseball are having to do outreach activities in Toronto to reach the teens who breathe hoops and soccer.
I grew up with the Argos, can remember the Leo Cahill era when they were bigger than the Leafs - but every month those with memories of those glory days (and the huge Star sections filled with photos of the latest Argo-RoughRiders playoff game) are shuffling off and they are not being replaced. You don't have to hate the CFL to understand how it continues to fade.

This is a great post. And I have to agree...you don't have to hate the CFL to understand how it's struggling. By the same token, I wish those that didn't love the MLS would at least recognize that it's a growing league, nobody is claiming it is a premier top league in the world. But it doesn't mean you should write it off. Only time can make that judgement.

ensco
03-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Intelligent criticism of TFC or MLS comes mostly from here or from Usector.

The media are generally boosters in the pockets of the team owners/managers, or ridiculous know-nothing clowns like Cathal Kelly.

Shakes McQueen
03-04-2009, 10:14 AM
I don't get why every thread about criticisms of MLS, inevitably turns to bashing the CFL.

The CFL is a fine, healthy league. The MLS is getting stronger. Both are fine, regardless of your opinions of McCown, or Cathal Kelly (who I hate with a passion).

In the case of Kelly, I just don't understand why that jackass is the TorStar's soccer reporter, when he hates the country's domestic league, and domestic team. He doesn't even hide it - he pretty openly mocks both.

However, I don't think McCown had him on just to hear his own opinions echoed. He has Stephen Brunt on frequently, and he recently had Nigel Reed, and Craig Forrest to talk about the sport for a full hour.

Does anyone know if Cathal actually attends TFC games? I'd be interested in finding him myself, and asking him what his problem is.

- Scott

Chewy Unikronik
03-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Hey I've got a question.

If you hate what he has to say so much, why do I keep seeing threads about it?

IGNORE IT.

There. Over. Next.
Amen sister!!! Ever think that:

1) It's ok for people to have differing opinions
2) This is all part of McCowan's "act"...

I mean, the dude DID actually do soccer broadcasts in the past. He simply does not like the game. So be it!

Arnie Knows
03-04-2009, 10:58 AM
What I worry about is that this economic crisis could really hurt the MLS in the US .. There has been some talk that many teams are really stuggling with money .. Fans are just not there for many teams .. I worry for the league

rocker
03-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Fans are just not there for many teams .. I worry for the league

here's what i say to MLS if that were true:

don't worry MLS, TFC (well, and Seattle too!) is here to save you (with those nice revenue sharing dollars from BMO Field heading south) :)

TorontoBlades
03-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Cathal is a pretty smart dude - he knows someone has to be the damian cox of soccer here, and he's positioning himself to be that guy when TFC makes it big.

Except he doesn't articulate himself all that well, especially in light of the fact he works in media. Keep in mind if the MLS did hit a wall like he's proclaiming - he'd be pretty much out of a job and fade to darkness.

If people just ignored him, then he'd wouldn't be the guy that's sturring up controversy and debate in the media - he'd just be a bumbling fool that no one listens too....that's the approach I'm taking.

nfitz
03-04-2009, 11:46 AM
So what Cathal Kelly spews ignorance on the Fan? Is everyone else just jealous that they can only spew ignorance here on a supporters group forum?

Roogsy
03-04-2009, 11:49 AM
What I worry about is that this economic crisis could really hurt the MLS in the US .. There has been some talk that many teams are really stuggling with money .. Fans are just not there for many teams .. I worry for the league

I would say this pretty much ensures at least one Canadian team gets named in the expansion. The MLS knows that Canada is in a much healthier financial position than the US and in picking a Canuck team, they mitigate some of the risk of the current economic climate. At least, if they were smart, they would.

In my mind, Vancouver is a shoe-in.

CelicaCrazed
03-04-2009, 01:29 PM
The Kick About: Hold the Funeral (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/fans/blogs/kick_about/)

Looks like the club took offense with Kelly's garbage. It actually has some pretty good lines in there. I'm sure if you go back and read Kelly's articles, he'll state somewhere that Beckham wouldn't do anything for this league in the first place. So I don't know which of us pissed in his coffee the other morning.

Hitcho
03-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Shit - can you imagine the atmosphere at BMO Field for our first inter-Canada MLS game?

Rockin'!!!

Oldtimer
03-04-2009, 02:08 PM
What interests me is that the National Post, which published one hatchet job on TFC gets banned from the board, while the Star, which has hated TFC (or "the FC" as they like to say) from Day 1 gets a free ride.

IMO, only the Globe is worthy of our respect. Solid reporting, both of EPL and TFC.

ensco
03-04-2009, 02:16 PM
What interests me is that the National Post, which published one hatchet job on TFC gets banned from the board, while the Star, which has hated TFC (or "the FC" as they like to say) from Day 1 gets a free ride.

IMO, only the Globe is worthy of our respect. Solid reporting, both of EPL and TFC.

I think the reason is that the majority of Star TFC reporting is by Morgan Campbell, who has been pretty good overall. Haven't seen him lately though.

jloome
03-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Intelligent criticism of TFC or MLS comes mostly from here or from Usector.

The media are generally boosters in the pockets of the team owners/managers, or ridiculous know-nothing clowns like Cathal Kelly.

Heheh, yah, Ok.

Maybe 1% the former, 99% the latter.

arbogast
03-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I think the reason is that the majority of Star TFC reporting is by Morgan Campbell, who has been pretty good overall. Haven't seen him lately though.

apparently the paper took him off the beat, so we're stuck with cathal, a guy who hates the league.

Roogsy
03-04-2009, 03:09 PM
apparently the paper took him off the beat, so we're stuck with cathal, a guy who hates the league.

:cuss:

Ever notice in these restructurings that it's always the assholes that keept their jobs? Whose dick is Cathal sucking that they feel the need to inflict his stupidity on the masses?

Heathen
03-04-2009, 03:26 PM

The NP hatchet job was directed against the fans after Columbus so it was personal. The Star may unfairly criticize the team and league but it hasn't tried to label us as hooligans like the Post did

Arnie Knows
03-04-2009, 03:33 PM
How has the Star hated the club .. You ever hear of Morgan Campbell..

arbogast
03-04-2009, 04:01 PM
How has the Star hated the club .. You ever hear of Morgan Campbell..

that's what i'm saying. Morgan was fine, he didn't know th esport, admitted it and tried hard to really get to know it. Cathal has dumped on mLS in the Star since we got the team and now he's covering the team b/c they took Mogan off the soccer beat.

arbogast
03-04-2009, 04:03 PM
:cuss:

Ever notice in these restructurings that it's always the assholes that keept their jobs? Whose dick is Cathal sucking that they feel the need to inflict his stupidity on the masses?

that's always the way, eh? if i ever become publisher of the Star i'd bury Cathal's career.

ensco
03-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Heheh, yah, Ok.

Maybe 1% the former, 99% the latter.

All these guys are afraid to ask tough questions for fear of annoying their sources (ie Mo or the owners). If they understood the sport better, they would know how far they can push. So instead they're meek poodles.

I seriously wish you had Gerry Dobson's platform (not picking on Dobson).

Arnie Knows
03-04-2009, 04:31 PM
I am not a Cathal Fan but he does raise good points. and is insightful..

IMO no one asks the tough questions to TFC staff or players..
its a suck cock bizz I think

Hitcho
03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm not too worried about the MLS/soccer detractors. It has no impact on the minds of the public generally, other than to enforce any already pre-existing mind sets among hardcore hockey (or other sports) fans, for example.

The bottom line is that right now soccer is growing like a juggernaut among kids right throughout north america - it's cheap, accessible, easy to pick up and above all fun to play. That will translate in time to increased viewing figures, increased attendance and increased players coming through into the professional game. The media cannot stop it by writing trash about the sport.

The only real threat MLS is facing right now is the global credit crunch, and as someone has already said, there are strong owners in the league and strong contenders lining up to buy in. Ticket prices are significantly lower than other sports (eg hockey and basketball) so are less likely to be hit with lower sales due to reduced consumer spending. So really, the league is in about as strong a position as it could hope to be right now given the circumstances.

Football (the real kind) is growing in North America, and growing fast. it might scare some media types, or make them think it's a flash in the pan, but I for one am glad that I'm in for the ride from an early stage. It's gonna be fun watching it grow and being able to say you were a part of it from the early days. The detractors can then fuck off and eat humble pie.

RealG-TFC
03-04-2009, 05:10 PM

Actually they probably had the best coverage of TFC on day 1.

James Oliphant
03-04-2009, 05:17 PM

IMO no one asks the tough questions to TFC staff or players..
its a suck cock bizz I think

I know two reporters who caught shit last year for asking the "tough questions". Neither were Cathal Kelly.

Roogsy
03-04-2009, 05:18 PM

You've got it a little twisted there Oldtimer.

The issue with NP was not that they did a hatchet job on TFC...it was that they completely ignored TFC and then at some point after TFC was well under way, the first serious piece they put out was a hatchet job of TFC and if I remember correctly, the supporters.

National Post wrote their own obit with us.

The Star has at least had regular coverage of the team, which is why we have endured Kelly to this point. That being said...something needs to be done with Cathal Kelly.

Apples to oranges OT.

Roogsy
03-04-2009, 05:19 PM

Insightful? What's insightful in his article?

noochie
03-04-2009, 05:43 PM
He isn't even a reporter... just some dude with an opinion, he is insignificant - anyone can start a blog these days.

CretanBull
03-04-2009, 05:43 PM
You've got it a little twisted there Oldtimer.

The issue with NP was not that they did a hatchet job on TFC...it was that they completely ignored TFC and then at some point after TFC was well under way, the first serious piece they put out was a hatchet job of TFC and if I remember correctly, the supporters..

Yeah, it was an article about how we behaved like "animals" in Columbus that totally focused on a few negative things (the church 'incident', a few arrests etc.) and blew them out of proportion and was completely devoid of any postive comments - like the mere fact that footy, the MLS even, was popular enough to have 2500 fans travel 7 hours to watch a game.

ExiledRed
03-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah, it was an article about how we behaved like "animals" in Columbus that totally focused on a few negative things (the church 'incident', a few arrests etc.) and blew them out of proportion and was completely devoid of any postive comments - like the mere fact that footy, the MLS even, was popular enough to have 2500 fans travel 7 hours to watch a game.

Strange, some of the same people who were part of that group so maligned by the NP, are people who take proven bullshit from the british tabloids, about certain supporters, as gospel.

CretanBull
03-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Strange, some of the same people who were part of that group so maligned by the NP, are people who take proven bullshit from the british tabloids, about certain supporters, as gospel.

So you're saying that scousers aren't theives?

(just kidding! :D)

gmacpheetfc
03-05-2009, 12:28 AM
http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/03/05/come-off-it-cathal/

AMEN

ExiledRed
03-05-2009, 12:41 AM
http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/03/05/come-off-it-cathal/

AMEN

Ben Knight just went up 3000 POINTS!! on the ExiledRed approval rating system.

reggie
03-05-2009, 12:46 AM
when did the star get a female soccer reporter and a bitch at that???

Toronto Ruffrider
03-05-2009, 01:09 AM
That article was brilliant, Ben; it's just a shame that it wasn't any longer. A piece like that deserves a round of applause!:D

Cashcleaner
03-05-2009, 01:20 AM
Ben Knight 5 - Cathal Kelly 0

DOMIN8R
03-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Perhaps the most interesting thing about this article is how selective Cathal has been in allowing comments to be posted. I know of 3 people who wrote a comment and it was disallowed from the comments section. Myself included. I commented on how the Star has let down soccer fans in this city, among other things.

I now understand that there must be some real fear to not allow these comments to be published online.

Chevy
03-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Cathal is miserable, anti-MLS, and it's not gonna change.

In a peverse way, he needs MLS to remain relevant so he can remain miserable and continue to bitch about it (and remain employed). Kind of a pathetic existence when you think about it, but one we can all enjoy watching.

Ben Knight
03-05-2009, 10:04 AM
The article is longer now. Just added a few graphs after listening to Cathal on the Fan.

arbogast
03-05-2009, 10:37 AM
ben, thanks for ripping him a new one! maybe you could get him on 'it's called football' to explain his views and set him straight?

gmacpheetfc
03-05-2009, 10:43 AM
28 comments all of them negative on C K's column what a bag of dust

http://www.thestar.com/comment/columnists/article/595463#Comments

CretanBull
03-05-2009, 11:45 AM
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/fans/blogs/kick_about/

Roogsy
03-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Perhaps the most interesting thing about this article is how selective Cathal has been in allowing comments to be posted. I know of 3 people who wrote a comment and it was disallowed from the comments section. Myself included. I commented on how the Star has let down soccer fans in this city, among other things.

I now understand that there must be some real fear to not allow these comments to be published online.

Yup....I posted something and it hasn't gone through in days. And all I mentioned was that I hoped Bitchy would dump on his head. For a soccer "journalist" he has really thin skin.

Roogsy
03-05-2009, 11:51 AM
28 comments all of them negative on C K's column what a bag of dust

Stop quoting his link. His shit is not welcome on this board.

Roogsy
03-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Cathal is miserable, anti-MLS, and it's not gonna change.

In a peverse way, he needs MLS to remain relevant so he can remain miserable and continue to bitch about it (and remain employed). Kind of a pathetic existence when you think about it, but one we can all enjoy watching.

True...without the MLS what is he going to write about? He knows jack shit about Europe...

noochie
03-05-2009, 11:55 AM
It is unfortunate that all this attention to whatever-his-name-is actually probably looks better for him in the long run. Anytime someone clicks on his wasted internet space Torstar is making money off of web advertising.

He bashes many other organizations also, wouldn't it be nice if this needy child was left alone in the woods?

billyfly
03-05-2009, 11:58 AM
I know where he lives, I know where he lives.....

Toronto Ruffrider
03-05-2009, 11:59 AM
The article is longer now. Just added a few graphs after listening to Cathal on the Fan.

Excellent stuff, Ben. You deserve many kudos for calling out that so-called "journalist." Cathal has been wearing the emperor's new clothes for a while now, and you bluntly pointed out that he's naked!:eek:

ExiledRed
03-05-2009, 12:06 PM
I think that Cathy's article is a good omen for MLS.

Given that practically everything he's written since the claim that most fans would be calling the team " the FC's " by the end of year one has turned out to be misinformed bullshit.

DOMIN8R
03-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Too much about the Catheter.

Please. Let. This. Thread. Die.

mastermixer
03-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Unfortunately :( I have to disagree with one aspect of the Onward blog...
I think the Beckham signing had an impact on the Toronto FC franchise. If I remember correctly they had only 8000 season tickets sold before Beckham came across the pond and once the beckham hype began they sold out the remaining seats in a matter of weeks. Don't get me wrong I think once word spread of what a great team this is to be a fan of, the waiting list would of been just as big with or without him, but Beckham definately gave TFC a kick in the right direction.

ExiledRed
03-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Unfortunately :( I have to disagree with one aspect of the Onward blog...
I think the Beckham signing had an impact on the Toronto FC franchise. If I remember correctly they had only 8000 season tickets sold before Beckham came across the pond and once the beckham hype began they sold out the remaining seats in a matter of weeks. Don't get me wrong I think once word spread of what a great team this is to be a fan of, the waiting list would of been just as big with or without him, but Beckham definately gave TFC a kick in the right direction.

The Beckham hype only served to make people aware of the fact that Toronto had a new MLS team on the horizon. You have no idea how many people didn't have season tickets because they simply hadn't heard of TFC at the time. I truly believe that once they heard about TFC through the Beckham articles, checked out the website and even maybe came onto the RPB/U -Sector boards, and saw that there was a serious fanbase growing, they were hooked on the idea, beckham or not.

Cashcleaner
03-05-2009, 01:38 PM

Graphs?! This shit I gotta see.

ExiledRed
03-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Graphs?! This shit I gotta see.

of the 'para' type.

I dont think we need to see a bar graph comparing cathy's IQ to a stepped on turd.

Cashcleaner
03-05-2009, 02:12 PM
^ Bitterly disappointing. :(

Arnie Knows
03-05-2009, 02:26 PM
I know two reporters who caught shit last year for asking the "tough questions". Neither were Cathal Kelly.

Please who who?????

jloome
03-05-2009, 02:28 PM
The Beckham hype only served to make people aware of the fact that Toronto had a new MLS team on the horizon. You have no idea how many people didn't have season tickets because they simply hadn't heard of TFC at the time. I truly believe that once they heard about TFC through the Beckham articles, checked out the website and even maybe came onto the RPB/U -Sector boards, and saw that there was a serious fanbase growing, they were hooked on the idea, beckham or not.

While I'll agree this may be the case and that 99% of what Cathal spews is horseshit -- he's a writer, a stylist, not a reporter -- there's no doubt that Beckham had an impact. It wasn't 8,000, it was 4,000 and by the end of the day it was confirmed it had more than doubled to 10,000.

I've suggested it before and will again: Beckham signing wasn't important because of the player he is, just that it signified a league in NA was taking football seriously. That convinced a lot of people to buy in, because they figured they're finally getting a product worth rooting for.

I'm not saying it actually had that impact on the product; but it certainly did on the perception of it. Having said that, his decision to leave has absolutely no fucking consquence to the league at all, except perhaps for allowing LA to free up enough cap space to be competitive again. Once the initial celebrity was over, he was pretty mediocre, after all.

David Beckham last season: 5 goals, 5 assists, millions in marketing dollars.

Rohan Ricketts last season: four goals, four assists, real heart.

ExiledRed
03-05-2009, 02:42 PM
I've suggested it before and will again: Beckham signing wasn't important because of the player he is, just that it signified a league in NA was taking football seriously. That convinced a lot of people to buy in, because they figured they're finally getting a product worth rooting for.

I wont disagree with this at all, it's kind of the point I was making. Maybe Beckham's involvement was enough to convince a lot of people that the product was going to be more than the standard 'Lynx' type model, but now this has been well established, I don't think anybody is giving up their seasons over Beckham's departure.

billyfly
03-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I think that Cathy's article is a good omen for MLS.

Given that practically everything he's written since the claim that most fans would be calling the team " the FC's " by the end of year one has turned out to be misinformed bullshit.

Excellent point.

TorontoBlades
03-05-2009, 03:13 PM
^ I forgot about that...wow he's a proper idiot

Jack
03-05-2009, 03:23 PM
The funny thing is, he's got himself back on all the footy related sites in Canada due to his comments.

He's an ass and the best thing to do with his drivel is just ignore him. Right now we're giving him and McClown the attention they are paid to generate with their ridiculous statements.

If we don't comment about him and don't give his silly blog hits, then he won't be justified in the eyes of his boss as a columnist.

Right now we are the ones who are keeping Catheter in his job.

Roogsy
03-05-2009, 03:27 PM
I disagree. What we are doing now is spreading the word about what a dick he is but more importantly that we will no longer support him. Of course right now he is getting all the attention, but he is digging his own grave. By spreading the word that soccer supporters should turn our backs to this douchebag, going forward we can influence the kind of exposure he gets continues to dwindle until such a point that he needs to go find himself a job at McDonalds.

So yeah...we gave him exposure now, but it's a reasonable price to pay to make sure we are taking it away from him in the future. Right now, shining the spotlight on what an ass he is helps prove our point so that people don't think we are doing this out of spite, but our of love for the game and our team.

Jack
03-05-2009, 03:29 PM
But we've been spreading the word about what a douche he is for two years...

Why we're giving him this kind of exposure when we already know he's a douche is what confuses me.

It should be more like "ha ha, Catheter is clueless again, I wonder how long until he loses his job" and that's it.

Now we've got his name all over the place again. Just what he wanted.

Dirk Diggler
03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
But we've been spreading the word about what a douche he is for two years...

Why we're giving him this kind of exposure when we already know he's a douche is what confuses me.

It should be more like "ha ha, Catheter is clueless again, I wonder how long until he loses his job" and that's it.

Now we've got his name all over the place again. Just what he wanted.

Exactly. If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't even have known that he was on the Fan 590 talking crap about soccer.

tfcleeds
03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Bob McClown, Steve Simmons, Cathal Kelly - just three people amongst others, who have never gotten it and never will. Oh well, its their loss. In any case, I no longer care about what these people think about TFC, or soccer in general. Let them stew in their own ignorance.

DOMIN8R
03-05-2009, 04:07 PM
No more Catheter. We try our best to no longer speak his name.http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_khLTeskR7K0/SQIx4JN8WbI/AAAAAAAAAI0/pxFGob62Ogc/s200/cathal.jpg

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-05-2009, 07:14 PM
who?

Pachuco
03-05-2009, 08:14 PM
So can The Star be officially banned from this site? pleease? I know some of you may think I'm kidding, I just cancelled my saturday star subscription. I didn't realize that Morgan wasn't on there no more, I thought he was coming back when the season started. From here on, it's all Globe for me.

TorCanSoc
03-05-2009, 08:16 PM
I think a Star ban is warranted.

Jack
03-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Wow...I didn't realize they had let Morgan go as well.

Well, for me The Star has just become even more useless. Damien Cox + Catheter Kelly=Fail

djking2
03-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Wow...I didn't realize they had let Morgan go as well.

Morgan's still there Jack. He's got an article in today's paper. I just checked. I like Morgan but at the end of last season his blog said he'd been pulled off football. It seemed like he never recovered after Carver went off on him at that press conference. Too bad really

Jack
03-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Morgan's still there Jack. He's got an article in today's paper. I just checked. I like Morgan but at the end of last season his blog said he'd been pulled off football. It seemed like he never recovered after Carver went off on him at that press conference. Too bad really

Good to know.

You can tell I don't read the paper very often :o

rocker
03-05-2009, 09:36 PM
the thing i don't get is, who is he appealing to? is he just purposely saying bullshit to get a rise out of people? does he think he's speaking to the hockey readers who don't care about soccer? I mean, telling your TFC audience that MLS is going to die isn't really "good for the newspaper business" if you know what i mean.

anyhow, the thing that bugs me about most soccer writers in the mainstream media is they only write about generalized contexts of the sport. They never get into the actual game itself, the strategy or rules, or the ins and outs of the league. It's just some vague generality, the way people write about hollywood stars or something. I guess that's easy.

Azerban
03-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Well, I like Cathal. He's a very good writer in my view, but sometimes he expresses views that are a bit out there. I don't agree with him some times, but overall, I like Cathal (and he's a hoot to sit next to in the press box when I cover Toronto FC games at BMO Field).

god damnit molinaro