PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign Gambian defenders

DRock
03-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Toronto FC announced Tuesday that they have signed defenders Emmanuel Gomez and Amadou Sanyang to MLS contracts. Gomez was acquired from Samger Football Club of the Gambian National 1st Division, while Sanyang arrives from Real de Banjul Football Club in Gambia. As per league and team policy, financial details were not announced.

"Both these players are great young talents and have a huge future ahead of them," said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. "Gomez is very good in the air, has very good speed and is an outstanding young centre back. Amadou has great ability as well; he's very talented and will be a great asset for many years to come. We are delighted to have them both on board."

Emmanuel Gomez
Position: Defender
Height: 6-3
Weight: 171
Birthdate: December 20, 1990
Hometown:
Nationality: Gambian
Roster Status: International

Amadou Sanyang
Height: 6-0
Weight: 165
Birthdate: August 1, 1991
Hometown:

READ MORE (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090303&content_id=221287&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

T_Mizz
03-03-2009, 01:55 PM
first
So that's it then huh?
Not too disappointed at the very least its soon depth, at the best its a couple rising superstars, Dichio seems to be impressed and they seem to be great athletes

Corpand
sweet! Young blood!

Shakes McQueen
Well, there are our rumoured defenders. Now to figure out if they will be any good. :D

It sounds promising.

- Scott

NF-FC
03-03-2009, 01:56 PM
So is Gomez our new CB? if so, why didn't they just put Nana in the CB slot, this new kid is 18!

DOMIN8R
Wow. Inexperienced. I hope that this is not the intended new defender(s) JC spoke of.

ThunderTundra
no too shabby. I like that they have signed them based on potential as well. I know we need established talent, but I'm this is the sort of scouting and signing that I have been wanting to see at the club.
As always though, time will tell and we may be using hindsight to blast these two ever setting foot on our turf, but for now I will be happy

Ageroo
03-03-2009, 01:57 PM
He's a pretty big kid....nice!

Shaughno
03-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Both too young to be starters IMO, most likely signed for the future more than anything.

T_Mizz
03-03-2009, 01:59 PM
One thing is that the 17 year old can't play for us until August 1st so does he count against the cap and roster until then?

justin
03-03-2009, 01:59 PM
great to see young talent signed on. wonder if these guys will be mls ready or if they're moreso projects

DRock
03-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Ya, 6,3 is a pretty good height for a CB! So does this mean we still have a senior roster spot open? Maybe we're getting an experienced CB? Doubt it, but we can hope.

Hitcho
03-03-2009, 02:01 PM
first

KNOB :noidea:

Not too disappointed at the very least its soon depth, at the best its a couple rising superstars, Dichio seems to be impressed and they seem to be great athletes

The rest of your post I agree with :hump:

Although I was hoping for an established CB to go straight into the starting XI alongside Serioux. 18/19 is very, very young for a CB, a position which typically requires a decent amount of experience to grow into.

T_Mizz
03-03-2009, 02:04 PM
KNOB :noidea:

Yeah seen others do it before and thought i'd try it;)

Shway
03-03-2009, 02:04 PM
So is Gomez our new CB? if so, why didn't they just put Nana in the CB slot, this new kid is 18!

yea right these guys are not 18 nor 19 lol
african papers always get "screwed up"

THA BUTCHA
03-03-2009, 02:05 PM
pfft...

I hope everybody here doesn't get ahead of themselves.

If this signing is the bolster depth at the Academy and senior squad levels then great.

If the team think that this is the solution to our obvious hole @ CB they have got to be kidding themselves.

We need a PROVEN CB not "potential with lots of upside"

I wish we had Teleby back..

DOMIN8R
03-03-2009, 02:07 PM
So what might this mean to our roster limit(s) and cap space? Experts - I await your posts!

kodiakTFC
03-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Emmanuel Gomez
Height: 6-3
Weight: 171
Birthdate: December 20, 1990
Hometown:

This guy is the same height as me and 30lbs lighter. I am not even a big guy, this guy must be friggen small.

Luanda
03-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Ya, 6,3 is a pretty good height for a CB! So does this mean we still have a senior roster spot open? Maybe we're getting an experienced CB? Doubt it, but we can hope.

One spot open but only if Hall is not signed.

Cuz
03-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Fucking eh! We are grabbing up all kinds of young guys this year. I like Mo's style! We just may be the fastest team out there this year. Let's just hope they can fucking score!

Derko
03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Yes Tebily is a good player, but did not want to play in the MLS or for TFC.
Perhaps there is someone on the way, I hope!!

Oldtimer
I think we can now safely see that Mo is looking beyond the British Isles for talent...

justin
This guy is the same height as me and 30lbs lighter. I am not even a big guy, this guy must be friggen small.

he's an inch taller than me but 70 pounds lighter than me, and i'm just chunky. kid needs to gain at least 30, 40 pounds

TorontoBlades

are you trying to get some man love....Andy Welsh is friggen small....you're fat, and this guy's about right

Shway
^ and then theres the shite bulls, fast team

we need depth on the wing !!!!!!!!!

sully
time will tell I guess.... in the meantime let the broken record play the we need an experienced centre back tune..

T0R0NT0 FC
03-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Why are people complaining about their ages? They are on their U-20 national team etc. Most good players start when their only 16-17 in the Premier League. Maybe we scored huge with these guys! :)

Yohan
03-03-2009, 02:15 PM
So, our back 4 looks like Wynne-Velez-Serioux-Brennan

I dunno. I was hoping for someone ready to step in. Prospects are cheap, but they dont exactly fill me with confidence right now

trane
03-03-2009, 02:17 PM
This sounds very promising. I ahve been saying for some time that Africa was a place to look, particulalry some of the smaller nations. Gambia is very small. But it sound good.

Azerban
03-03-2009, 02:17 PM
hey guys maybe mo is not bad

hmmmmmmm

Hitcho
03-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah seen others do it before and thought i'd try it;)

There was a thread on here recently (or two, actually) condemning "first" posters. I'd give it a swerve from now on if I were you! :hump:

Back on topic - i just cannot see gomez starting for us. If he was that good, someone else would have snapped him up. It's a shame, because what was looking to be the near perfect off-season only required one more good, established CB to complete the hard work and leave us fully stocked.

That said, I hope I have to eat my words and Gomez takes the league by storm keeping helping us keep plenty of clean sheets and scoring a few goals along the way to help the cause.

Afra
Mo will probably work with them both, pick his favorite, and use the other as trade bait through the season/next season.

denime
This looks to me more as money investment for future $$$$$ from European clubs.

Edu- Grass
Wynne- private boxes on the east side and bubble over lamport
Emmanuel-Stadium expansion
Amadou- HUGE training facility with grass

Time will tell :)

Azerban
03-03-2009, 02:19 PM
So, our back 4 looks like Wynne-Velez-Serioux-Brennan

I dunno. I was hoping for someone ready to step in. Prospects are cheap, but they dont exactly fill me with confidence right now

we were pumped for james and he was older and less accomplished

honestly i'd see the older one out there instead of velez right now if only because he's not fucking marco 'i am a bad player' velez

Shakes McQueen
03-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Gomez sounds like he has enough experience to start for an MLS side. He's also a pretty good physical specimen for a CB.

- Scott

denime
03-03-2009, 02:22 PM
he's an inch taller than me but 70 pounds lighter than me, and i'm just chunky. kid needs to gain at least 30, 40 pounds

240 pounds is Chunky for NFL,not soccer.:noidea:

Hitcho
03-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Why are people complaining about their ages? They are on their U-20 national team etc. Most good players start when their only 16-17 in the Premier League. Maybe we scored huge with these guys! :)

With all due respect, I think you're way off with this post. It is extremely rare for someone that young to start in the PL - Owen, Rooney and Walcott were rare exceptions and potentially world class players. And for defenders it is very VERY rare to see teenagers starting. name me one CB who started in the PL at 16. You can't, because there aren't any.

I like your optimism, and one thing MLS has going for it in terms of younger guys is that the level is much lower so they will find it easier to break in and do well. But seriously, 16 or 17 for good players in the PL? :noidea:

Detroit_TFC
03-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Amadou Sanyang was trialled last year by LAG.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2008/08/gambians_in_la_change_in_color.html

This article was from 8/08 - Goff said at the time Sanyana was a defending midfielder and captain of Gambian U-20 team.

TFCREDNWHITE
03-03-2009, 02:26 PM
With all due respect, I think you're way off with this post. It is extremely rare for someone that young to start in the PL - Owen, Rooney and Walcott were rare exceptions and potentially world class players. And for defenders it is very VERY rare to see teenagers starting. name me one CB who started in the PL at 16. You can't, because there aren't any.

I like your optimism, and one thing MLS has going for it in terms of younger guys is that the level is much lower so they will find it easier to break in and do well. But seriously, 16 or 17 for good players in the PL? :noidea:

Fully agree with you!

Azerban
03-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Amadou Sanyang was trialled last year by LAG.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2008/08/gambians_in_la_change_in_color.html

this is a false article, galaxy doesn't 'do' defence

Detroit_TFC
03-03-2009, 02:30 PM
this is a false article, galaxy doesn't 'do' defence

LOL - LAG's defenders "did" the Galaxy, that's for sure :sheep:

TFCREDNWHITE
03-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Our back line is gonna get pumped this year! Velez might as well be a pylon! and Wynne might cost us some more mistakes just like last year...

I think defensively we are screwed if your expecting an 18yr old to be a strong CB leader of the back line!??

I love that we are investing in the future, but we still are short in the back!!

Jeffro
03-03-2009, 02:33 PM
pfft...

If this signing is the bolster depth at the Academy and senior squad levels then great.

If the team think that this is the solution to our obvious hole @ CB they have got to be kidding themselves.

I wish we had Teleby back..

Tebily couldn't even get into a game for us. He played very poorly for our reserves.

MartinUtd
03-03-2009, 02:36 PM
^^ I remember him single handedly stopping Limpact in Montreal

trane
03-03-2009, 02:37 PM
^Tebily did not play for much, mostly because he was injured. When playing he was our best defender.

TFCREDNWHITE
03-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Tebily is shit!! screw him...

TFCREDNWHITE
03-03-2009, 02:39 PM
His nickname was BOMBSCARE!! LOL HAHAH

THA BUTCHA
03-03-2009, 02:39 PM
best defender that ever played for us..

SanStarko
03-03-2009, 02:40 PM

Nearest I can think of is Micah Richards, who was starting in the English Premiership at 17 in defence, but yeah these players are the exceptions.

olegunnar
03-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Weird signings.

They better play since they're taking up International spots but it seems like they're a gamble and added for depth.

T0R0NT0 FC
03-03-2009, 02:42 PM

:o
Well maybe I was a slight bit off on age. But Man Utd has Rafael and Fabio who have been starters this season at age 18. And Im' not sure how old Gareth Bale was when he first started, but it was either 17 or 18. All Im' saying is that people have to stop looking at the fact that we signed 17 and 18 year players as a bad thing. They could be very good players for MLS standards.
:yum:

Keyman
03-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Very promising. Hopefully both players can step in immediately.

Mo has, in my opinion, taken a very logical and calculated approach to everything this off-season. This is just another example, he's setting up our team to be a contender this season, and for seasons to come...and that is tough to do.

These are not signings of desperation, at least they don't seem to be, so I'd say he has quite a bit of confidence in these kids.

Keyman
03-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Tebily is shit!! screw him...

No, no Tebily is not shit. I'd give an arm and a leg to have him back playing with us.

rocker
03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I remember a time when people were screaming GO TO AFRICA, MO, SIGN AFRICANS, THEY ARE AWESOME, LOOK AT NEW ENGLAND AND NYASSI AND DUBE, MO HATES AFRICA.

hahah.. hopefully the Africa lovers are having orgasms now, cuz they were pissed as hell before. I don't really know enough about these guys to tell, but at least they were trialed... a bunch of other trialists disappeared and these guys remained.

Good also that two were signed... so they have buddies on the team already :)
They are probably willing to play for cheap too. The African guys on NE were paid almost very little.

p.s. I agree Tebily was good in the little time he played. He stopped the Limp Act like a brick wall. I wish we had had him all season.

trane
03-03-2009, 02:51 PM
While as I said the signings are promising, I have to say this, while Gambia's national team is composed of players playing all around the world in particular Europe, the population is only 1.7 million,not exactly the largets tallent pool in the world. Just to say playing for the under 20 shuld be put into perspective. Not quite the same thing as being selected for the udner 20 for Argentina, but again a positive in my eyes, at least for the future.

Lucky Strike
Well I like the fact that Mo is looking to the future with these signings for sure. A lot of my opinion has already been reflected by other but here goes.

I feel Africa can be a good source of undiscovered talent. But it does seem very rare for such a young player to start at CB. Obviously Mo and JC will have done their homework and if he's signed, it's because they see that they can offer something, but can they offer something NOW? I don't know, we'll have to see. I was/am still hoping for a more experienced CB to replaced Velez in the centre, if we have the cap space/roster slots.

In summary, it seems like a good move but I think we'd all feel more comfortable with something additional for the here and now.

P.S. Why can't the 17 year old play with TFC now? Ibbe isn't 18 yet, though is that because he's GA?

Suds

thinking the same thing as well ... we don't need linebackers ... they will fill out naturally in the next couple years .. throw in a solid strength and conditioning program from Winsper and you have the potential for a good sized CB

Hitcho
03-03-2009, 02:52 PM
:o
Well maybe I was a slight bit off on age. But Man Utd has Rafael and Fabio who have been starters this season at age 18. And Im' not sure how old Gareth Bale was when he first started, but it was either 17 or 18. All Im' saying is that people have to stop looking at the fact that we signed 17 and 18 year players as a bad thing. They could be very good players for MLS standards.
:yum:

Yup, agreed on that point. ;)

Nuvinho
so is the 17 year old going to be on the developmental roster? or will take up a senior spot?

Lucky Strike
P.P.S. Seconded on the praise for Tébily. He was awesome, particularly in the Montreal game. Shame we don't have him still.

Shaughno
03-03-2009, 02:54 PM
P.P.S. Seconded on the praise for Tébily. He was awesome, particularly in the Montreal game. Shame we don't have him still.

Everyone seems to miss this part.

Tebily couldn't even get into a game for us. He played very poorly for our reserves.

trane
03-03-2009, 02:55 PM
I remember a time when people were screaming GO TO AFRICA, MO, SIGN AFRICANS, THEY ARE AWESOME, LOOK AT NEW ENGLAND AND NYASSI AND DUBE, MO HATES AFRICA.

hahah.. hopefully the Africa lovers are having orgasms now, cuz they were pissed as hell before. I don't really know enough about these guys to tell, but at least they were trialed... a bunch of other trialists disappeared and these guys remained.

Good also that two were signed... so they have buddies on the team already :)
They are probably willing to play for cheap too. The African guys on NE were paid almost very little.

p.s. I agree Tebily was good in the little time he played. He stopped the Limp Act like a brick wall. I wish we had had him all season.

Africa lovers, what the fuck does that mean?

All people were saying, is that Africa has a great tallent poop, forget the few MLS players, maybe you have heard of Drogaba?

Hitcho
03-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Our back line is gonna get pumped this year! Velez might as well be a pylon! and Wynne might cost us some more mistakes just like last year...

I think defensively we are screwed if your expecting an 18yr old to be a strong CB leader of the back line!??

I love that we are investing in the future, but we still are short in the back!!

Bit harsh. Our defence last season wasn't that bad relative to MLS standards. Velez is a RB and now has a season of playing CB in MLS to learn from, he might improve and he showed patches of decent play at times last year for all his gaffs (some of which were just plain bad luck let's not forget).

Alos this new kid Gomez won't be leading the line, that's definitely going to fall onto Serioux I would think. Gomez is likely to start as 3rd choice for the second CB slot behind Velez and Harmse given his age and the late stage of pre-season he is joining the squad, although Mo and JC will presumably be looking for him to be challenging for a starting spot as soon as he's settled.

trane
03-03-2009, 02:56 PM

But was that not mostly for injury? When he did play he played well.

rocker
03-03-2009, 02:56 PM

All people were saying, is that Africa has a great tallent poop, forget the few MLS players, maybe you have heard of Drogaba?

Isn't it obvious? Africa lovers are the idiots who were arguing vehemently that Africa is this untapped gold mine of players and Mo Johnston was a "fool" (I remember this phrase being used) for not looking there for players...

Maybe you weren't reading those threads, but I got in some pretty big arguments with the Africa lovers, just like I did with the South American lovers. :)

There's certain people on this board who love certain areas of the world for soccer talent.
And apparently we're supposed to stock up on those areas.

I believe you sign the best players possible, regardless of nation.

Keyman
03-03-2009, 02:57 PM

I'd be miserable too, I don't think you can base your criticism of Tebily off of his reserve play. In the little time he saw with the first team, he was our best defender.

giambac
03-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Wow. Inexperienced. I hope that this is not the intended new defender(s) JC spoke of.

what a joke thism is.

Hope this isn't what Mo and Carver had in mind when they were promising us solid backs.

Good to sign young players but these guys if they make the cut are a few years away.

Cmon Mo when will you give us that DP you have been promising us since day 1. It's now going into the 3rd year.

Do something.

trane
Isn't it obvious? Africa lovers are the idiots who were arguing vehemently that Africa is this untapped gold mine of players and Mo Johnston was a "fool" (I remember this phrase being used) for not looking there for players...

Maybe you weren't reading those threads, but I got in some pretty big arguments with the Africa lovers, just like I did with the South American lovers. :)

There's certain people on this board who love certain areas of the world for soccer talent.
And apparently we're supposed to stock up on those areas.

I believe you sign the best players possible, regardless of nation.

By the way by poop I meant pool, and by drogaba, I meant Drogba.

Keyman

Maybe you weren't reading those threads, but I got in some pretty big arguments with the Africa lovers, just like the South American lovers. :)

Ah yes, I remember that well. I also remember being torn apart when I posted a thread/article called In Mo We Trust.

Actually, I think it was you and I continually defending him lol

Oldtimer
03-03-2009, 03:00 PM
P.S. Why can't the 17 year old play with TFC now? Ibbe isn't 18 yet, though is that because he's GA?

FIFA rules forbid international transfers between leagues of U-18 players. It's to protect youth from exploitation by European clubs, but applies to us, as well. He can sign, because it's within 6 months of his 18th birthday, but can't play until then.

Hitcho
03-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Tebily also had versatility in that he could cover well at full back. Before these signigns were announced, I was hoping for an established CB who could cover well at full back in case Brennan or Wynne get injured, banned etc. Gala and Nana are good prospects, but I'd be worried if they became long term starting prospects at FB for this season, they need to be blooded in more first, with less pressure on them.

Hitcho
03-03-2009, 03:01 PM
By the way by poop I meant Drogba.

FIXED!!! :D:D:D

giambac
03-03-2009, 03:02 PM
I think we can now safely see that Mo is looking beyond the British Isles for talent...

Mo has no idea what he is doing.

Is this his idea of a quality Back he has been promising us??

Young talent?? Hey I saw a 3 year old palying indoor soccer this past weekend.. Maybe Mo will sign him to.

Get a DP CB. What the hell is he waiting for???

Shaughno
03-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I'd be miserable too, I don't think you can base your criticism of Tebily off of his reserve play. In the little time he saw with the first team, he was our best defender.

Basing judgement off the fact that he played considerably more games for the reserves than first team, I'd say that's the ONLY way you can judge his play.

Jeffro
03-03-2009, 03:03 PM
But was that not mostly for injury? When he did play he played well.

Not true, he was back from injury for quite a while. Maybe needed to get back to fitness or whatever, but nonetheless played for the reserves in quite a few games and did not impress......

Lets give these new kids a chance, they clearly showed something in their trials, since others have come and gone.

ThunderTundra
03-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Mo has no idea what he is doing.

Is this his idea of a quality Back he has been promising us??

Young talent?? Hey I saw a 3 year old palying indoor soccer this past weekend.. Maybe Mo will sign him to.

Get a DP CB. What the hell is he waiting for???

I think Mo has done a great job so far. These players, while they won't be star calibre right away. They might be in a few years. Mo is trying to build a great club not a good year. We have to start from somewhere, I would much rather have half the team be 20 year olds with potential then older players who are more prone to injury and who will leave after two seasons.

This is a move to establish consistency and long term quality
I don't want to be like the leafs who win a few in their hayday then spend the rest of the clubs history searching for a championship season

Keyman
03-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Basing judgement off the fact that he played considerably more games for the reserves than first team, I'd say that's the ONLY way you can judge his play.
Entirely disagree. I've talked to players about playing for the reserves, it's hard to find motivation, even for youngsters trying to crack the first team.

I'd bet that Tebily put absolutely no effort into his time with the reserves. Is that the right mindset? Probably not. But I understand it.

trane
03-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Not true, he was back from injury for quite a while. Maybe needed to get back to fitness or whatever, but nonetheless played for the reserves in quite a few games and did not impress......

Lets give these new kids a chance, they clearly showed something in their trials, since others have come and gone.

I am OK with the signings, in fact I like them, I jsut want to keep it in perspective.

Shaughno
03-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Entirely disagree. I've talked to players about playing for the reserves, it's hard to find motivation, even for youngsters trying to crack the first team.

I'd bet that Tebily put absolutely no effort into his time with the reserves. Is that the right mindset? Probably not. But I understand it.

Mindset will most likely cost you your job. He came back from injury, the natural path is to go through the reserves as players do all around the world. If he couldn't get motivated to play and try and crack the starting XI, I don't want him here in the first place. Robert was more than enough in French laziness for me.

DOMIN8R
03-03-2009, 03:12 PM
So we have 1 international spot left right?

T_Mizz

Anyone else literally laugh their ass off at Africa's GREAT TALLENT POOP?:D:D:D

Lucky Strike

That he played terrible for the reserves is not my focus though. It's simply that once he got into the first team (I forgot for which reason), he played excellently until his injury and his subsequent wish to be released to be with his family.

And I still think scouting in Africa can unearth a gem. They don't necessarily have to be world-class (ugh, damn you Craig Forrest for using that term so much) like Ronaldo or Kaka, but solid players for our purposes. And while saying that big clubs have already found all that's worth finding, I don't really agree. I mean, when was the last time you heard a team scouting in the Central African Republic, Botswana or Namibia? There are some places that still have extremely poor infrastructure and largely go unnoticed.

I also feel the same about Latin America except for one thing. Generally speaking, even the poorest countries are a bit more developed than the poorest ones in Africa therefore there is less chance of a gem, but still can produce quality players at an affordable rate, which is something that every team should be looking for.

Luanda
03-03-2009, 03:13 PM
"...acquired from Samger Football Club of the Gambian National 1st Division, while Sanyang arrives from Real de Banjul Football Club in Gambia. As per league and team policy, financial details..."

If they were "acquired from," what would have been the compensation?

jloome
I'll be highly surprised if Gomez isn't the centre back they were talking about.

Sure, he's only 18. But he's already been called up to the Gambian men's team, not just the u20s, and that speaks to a talent level higher than most MLS defenders. He's a bit slight of frame but not so much by soccer standards.

Keyman
Mindset will most likely cost you your job. He came back from injury, the natural path is to go through the reserves as players do all around the world. If he couldn't get motivated to play and try and crack the starting XI, I don't want him here in the first place. Robert was more than enough in French laziness for me.

The difference was that when Tebily played for the first team, he played extremely well. Robert always looked disinterested. When Tebily stepped on the pitch he looked just as motivated as any other player.
We'll probably just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Lucky Strike
03-03-2009, 03:15 PM
FIFA rules forbid international transfers between leagues of U-18 players. It's to protect youth from exploitation by European clubs, but applies to us, as well. He can sign, because it's within 6 months of his 18th birthday, but can't play until then.

That makes perfect sense, thanks. Forgot about the whole pre-contract thing.

jloome
Nearest I can think of is Micah Richards, who was starting in the English Premiership at 17 in defence, but yeah these players are the exceptions.

Didn't Joleon Lescott start at 17 as well? There are a few, actually, although usually at league teams, not the prem.

trane
^ I did not see, that , I though that he played for the u20 only, the Gambian men's team has quite a bit of tallent particullarly for such a small nation.

Lucky Strike
03-03-2009, 03:17 PM
"...acquired from Samger Football Club of the Gambian National 1st Division, while Sanyang arrives from Real de Banjul Football Club in Gambia. As per league and team policy, financial details..."

If they were "acquired from," what would have been the compensation?

It probably just means "transferred from" but in the more usual North American terms.

Or wait, hold on. Isn't there some rule that compensation must be given to players under 24 transferred for free? Maybe some of the Edu money went to that.

trane
03-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Didn't Joleon Lescott start at 17 as well? There are a few, actually, although usually at league teams, not the prem.

I think that Lescott did not come up with Everton, I can not remember were Moyes signed him from but I think it was from a Championship team, perhaps Birmingham.

Keyman
03-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Looks like this will be our line-up:

--------------Sutton---------------
Wynne---Serioux---Gomez---Brennan
--------------Robinson-------------
--Ricketts---------------De Rosario--
--------------Guevara---------------
---------Dichio----------Vitti---------

Or something similar...maybe DeRo in a more attacking role.

Luanda
It probably just means "transferred from" but in the more usual North American terms.

Or wait, hold on. Isn't there some rule that compensation must be given to players under 24 transferred for free? Maybe some of the Edu money went to that.

Worth exploring. Would those Gambian teams have let them go for free?

Lucky Strike
I'll be highly surprised if Gomez isn't the centre back they were talking about.

Sure, he's only 18. But he's already been called up to the Gambian men's team, not just the u20s, and that speaks to a talent level higher than most MLS defenders. He's a bit slight of frame but not so much by soccer standards.

True about the callup to the men's team, but Gambia is not exactly high up in the FIFA rankings. They're 73rd, better than Canada so I guess that's something in our favour. :D

Lucky Strike
03-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Worth exploring. Would those Gambian teams have let them go for free?

Perhaps. Maybe the Gambian footballing assocation (or whatever the exact name is) encouraged the transfer to increase the quality of the national team. The dynamics between league and country could be different than elsewhere. Because with all due respect, the Gambian league is never going to be top class, so perhaps it makes sense for them to focus on the national team. Who knows?

jloome
True about the callup to the men's team, but Gambia is not exactly high up in the FIFA rankings. They're 73rd, better than Canada so I guess that's something in our favour. :D

And it was a training callup, not a playing one, so who knows. But Gambia's been seriously on the rise in the last few years. If their nats think this kid is potential senior material at 18, he has to have some skills.

The obvious comparison, in terms of him not being previously discovered, is Bakare Soumare from the Fire. He was even older before he was picked up on, and he looks to have an international-calibre future ahead of him.

The compensation could be based on future fees, as well.

Luanda
Looks like this will be our line-up:

--------------Sutton---------------
Wynne---Serioux---Gomez---Brennan
--------------Robinson-------------
--Ricketts---------------De Rosario--
--------------Guevara---------------
---------Dichio----------Vitti---------

Most likely, though I would see Barrett instead of Dichio, who would come on as a sub just like Ibby or White (when he gets the green light).

Still, because Hall remains unsigned, there may well be yet another signing.

Lucky Strike
03-03-2009, 03:24 PM
And it was a training callup, not a playing one, so who knows. But Gambia's been seriously on the rise in the last few years. If their nats think this kid is potential senior material at 18, he has to have some skills.

The obvious comparison, in terms of him not being previously discovered, is Bakare Soumare from the Fire. He was even older before he was picked up on, and he looks to have an international-calibre future ahead of him.

The compensation could be based on future fees, as well.

True, such as a sell-on fee potentially.

Blizzard
03-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Yes Tebily is a good player, but did not want to play in the MLS or for TFC.
Perhaps there is someone on the way, I hope!!

That wasn't the issue. He had family concerns that took him away from us. He was having a great time in Toronto (I've heard from friends). If only he hadn't been injured. I really liked what he did for us when he was fit.

justin
03-03-2009, 03:27 PM

6'2 240 lbs is light for nfl, heavy as shit for soccer. for a tall centre back in the MLS, i'd like to see him at at least 190, 200ish.

Yohan
03-03-2009, 03:27 PM

I dunno. I dont recall Gambia doing well in Africa Cup of Nations or WC qualifiers, but I also dont pay too much attention to Africa.

Gambia looks like a giant worm on geography anyways :p

I think that Lescott did not come up with Everton, I can not remember were Moyes signed him from but I think it was from a Championship team, perhaps Birmingham.
Wolverhampton Wolves. Lescott missed out on Wolves premier league stint due to injury and I think that was one of the main reason why Wolves got relegated

T_Mizz
03-03-2009, 03:29 PM
They won the african U-17s in 2005 and came 3rd in the african U-20s in 2007 granted neither of our guys were on those teams as they were essentially the same. (The Nyasssi's were on both teams though)

Rudi
03-03-2009, 03:29 PM
what a joke thism is.

Hope this isn't what Mo and Carver had in mind when they were promising us solid backs.

Good to sign young players but these guys if they make the cut are a few years away.

Cmon Mo when will you give us that DP you have been promising us since day 1. It's now going into the 3rd year.

Do something.
Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

All you do is whine.

Do something? Have you not been paying attention, or is your head too far up your own ass to notice what has been going on.

Forget the DP. We are very likely at or near the cap as it is. Would you rather us be an LA Galaxy, with two huge stars surrounded by shit, or Houston, a well balanced team that is always in the title hunt?

Shaughno
03-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Zing! :lol: 1pt for Rudi.

Whoop
03-03-2009, 03:34 PM
My life has been so much calmer with giambac on ignore. LOL

jloome
03-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah, except scoring points on Giambac is about as likely as hitting water when you fall out of a boat.

Shaughno
03-03-2009, 03:35 PM
My life has been so much calmer with giambac on ignore. LOL

See, they bring a smile to my face. :stogey:

Lucky Strike
03-03-2009, 03:35 PM
FYI. Here's the wiki on the Gambian 1st divison where Gomez comes from. No wiki for his former team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambian_Championnat_National_D1

All it can really tell us is that Samger sadly didn't win any titles that we know of. Signing someone from a title-winning team would have been a plus. Though if they finished second, we wouldn't know it.

ThunderTundra
03-03-2009, 03:36 PM
oooh I forgot about the ignore option

Here I go, peace out giambac

Lucky Strike
03-03-2009, 03:41 PM
FYI. Here's the wiki on the Gambian 1st divison where Gomez comes from. No wiki for his former team.

All it can really tell us is that Samger sadly didn't win any titles that we know of. Signing someone from a title-winning team would have been a plus. Though if they finished second, we wouldn't know it.

Sanyang's team though there's info. They've won a title recently (2007).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_de_Banjul_Football_Club

Super Cereal
03-03-2009, 03:42 PM
His nickname was BOMBSCARE!! LOL HAHAH

Good for you, you know how to work wikipedia!

jloome
03-03-2009, 03:42 PM

Well, Gomez was named to the league's best XI, according to one now-defunct Google link. Gomez was also one of a number of Gambian players offered up to MLS teams in a scouting video doing the rounds last season.

oxygenatedbrain
03-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Go, read...

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090303&content_id=221339&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Shaughno
03-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Sanyang's a stoner! I like this guy already. :D :stogey:
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/images/2009/03/03/CEC4jqbf.jpg

and 17 my ass, he looks 30!

Sab0tage
03-03-2009, 03:47 PM
This does nothing but improve our depth. Not bad signings if they pan out.

Oblio2
03-03-2009, 03:47 PM
6foot 3, 171 lbs :noidea:

Seriously, we need to get the kids on the "bulk up" diet

Hopefully they read this:

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

T_Mizz
03-03-2009, 03:50 PM
http://2.media.tumblr.com/i2dw5nf19jro41tdFdRfIdXZo1_500.jpg McGangBang
A McChicken sandwich inside a double cheeseburger.
ROFLMAOOL:smilielol5:

Hitcho
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
^ ?!

Luanda
03-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Wonder if cap issues had anything to do with the signing of these two, as opposed to more established (expensive) players.

djking2
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
You can add Joe Cole to the list of teenage starters.

TFCREDNWHITE
03-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Good for you, you know how to work wikipedia!

Actually I was the one that added it to the wikipedia entry!

BleedRed
03-03-2009, 04:08 PM
LMAO the first thing i thought when i saw Sanyang's pic was...shit this guy looks ripped on some serious BC bud...than i saw Shaugno's comment and also bust a nut...lol funny stuff

Plenty of Trout
03-03-2009, 04:15 PM
first
So that's it then huh?

I can't imagine this is for this year.

Super Cereal
03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
I like the signings, hope they do well.

ensco
03-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Interesting, 8 of the Gambian national team players play in Scandinavia

Anyone else cracked up at the thought of "Real de Banjul"?

trane
03-03-2009, 04:29 PM
^ Thier development system is better that Canada's for fuck sakes, and the country has the same populaiton as Ottawa, I think Ottawa is about 1.7 with all the burbs.

ccopela
03-03-2009, 04:36 PM
^ Thier development system is better that Canada's for fuck sakes, and the country has the same populaiton as Ottawa, I think Ottawa is about 1.7 with all the burbs.

I'm just nit-picking but its about 1.1 including Gatineau. But I agree there is a high number of quality players from such a small country.

Azerban
03-03-2009, 04:36 PM

This is actually amazingly good.

ccopela
03-03-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't think I saw this answered in the thread. Can someone explain why Sanyang has to wait until he's 18 to officially sign with the club when Ibbe played before he was 18?

Shaughno
03-03-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't think I saw this answered in the thread. Can someone explain why Sanyang has to wait until he's 18 to officially sign with the club when Ibbe played before he was 18?

I believe Ibbe was signed as a Dev roster player.

Sanyang was signed as a senior player.

From my understanding anyway.

JonO
03-03-2009, 04:49 PM
I don't think I saw this answered in the thread. Can someone explain why Sanyang has to wait until he's 18 to officially sign with the club when Ibbe played before he was 18?It was answered earlier (by Oldtimer I believe) - something about transferring a youth player from another country - to prevent most premier teams from stealing youth talent...

T_Mizz
03-03-2009, 04:51 PM
It's because Ibbe is American and isn't subject to the international transfer rules

Lucky Strike
03-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Well, Gomez was named to the league's best XI, according to one now-defunct Google link. Gomez was also one of a number of Gambian players offered up to MLS teams in a scouting video doing the rounds last season.

Ah. Didn't know that. That bodes well.

devioustrevor
03-03-2009, 04:55 PM
When I read Gambians and seen the name Manny Gomez my first thought was "wow, the guy that was at Man U" then I seen his birthday. Not that we need more forwards anyways.

ensco
03-03-2009, 05:20 PM
When I read Gambians and seen the name Manny Gomez my first thought was "wow, the guy that was at Man U" then I seen his birthday. Not that we need more forwards anyways.

or this one

http://canucks-abroad.com/content/emmanuel-manny-gomez-profile

Mojo
03-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Guys, I'm having a lot of fun saying "Amadou Sanyang" out loud.

Give it a try.

Pachuco
03-03-2009, 06:05 PM

And the only reserve game I saw him play he was outstanding. Are you saying you saw him play in all the reserve games?

Pachuco
03-03-2009, 06:12 PM
BTW - My thoughts on this is I have no comment. I also don't get how so many people can comment on players they've never seen play in their lives. Who knows, maybe they'll start, maybe they won't. Maybe they are signed as water boys, no one will know until we see them play.

We don't even have a clue as to what the intentions of these signings are.

Detroit_TFC
03-03-2009, 07:05 PM
I imagine these guys names have been floating around scouting circles for a year now and Mo decided to reel them in.

Like others said, a lot of European scouts are in Africa now looking for the next generation. I have know idea if these specific players will work for us, but if Mo is looking in the same places as PL scouts, seems right to me. Or, if people prefer, I'm sure Mo and JC know some 35 yr old reserve League 1 players we could sign.

trane
03-03-2009, 07:12 PM
^ That is just it, I am glad that he is looking at players like this, are they going to work out? Who knows but is certainly seem worth trying.

Yohan
03-03-2009, 07:15 PM
exactly what are you basing this statement from? are you an expert in african football?

trane
03-03-2009, 07:20 PM
^No. It was an expression of frustration at our system or lack of. But simple numbers seem to bear it out for very small nation, they have a great deal of professional players playing in relatively decent leagues. Why do you think we have a great development system, or that the CSA is doing a great job?

Yohan
03-03-2009, 07:24 PM
^No. It was an expression of frustration at our system or lack of. But simple numbers seem to bear it out for very small nation, they have a great deal of professional players playing in relatively decent leagues. Why do you think we have a great development system, or that the CSA is doing a great job?
actually no. I personally want to throat punch every exec in CSA, starting with Mitchell

but it does seem a bit quizzable that Canada is behind Gambia? Seems to be more of a speculation without much of solid data

Ossington Mental Youth
03-03-2009, 07:27 PM
lil concerned as it addresses depth and future talent but not our current CB prob, i suspect there are a few more moves to be made (one of which include Edwards being shifted)

trane
03-03-2009, 07:29 PM
^ What speculation? I am not doing research to compile a report on the relative merits of the CSA in comparison to Gambian Football, I made an off the cuff comment on a supporters board based on the number of players that the small nation of Gambia has in professional leagues. I am not about to gather data for that.

Pachuco
03-03-2009, 07:54 PM
actually no. I personally want to throat punch every exec in CSA, starting with Mitchell

but it does seem a bit quizzable that Canada is behind Gambia? Seems to be more of a speculation without much of solid data

Well, all I have to do is look at the FIFA U20 played in Canada. Enough said :)

The Oz
03-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Damn, that second kid (Sanyang) is 7 days older than I am and plays for TFC now. I feel like I've wasted my life lol.

Pachuco
03-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Damn, that second kid (Sanyang) is 7 days older than I am and plays for TFC now. I feel like I've wasted my life lol.

Yeah thanks, I'm almost double his age :eek:.

Oh well, I still got mens league on wednesdays.

Shaughno
03-03-2009, 08:02 PM
^^ I'm a few months off Tevez's age... :lol:

TFC_Toon
03-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Having never heard of either of todays signings I cannot say much until I see them on the pitch. From a club perspective it's nice to see that were adding youth and I like the idea of Sanyang going into the Academy for a few months, shows the club is committed on building young talent IMO.

Whether Gomez can step in and do a job remains to be seen. Still believe we will see more movement soon in the form of an established CB, it would only make sense, it is a big ask of an 18 year old.

And Tebily for me was the best defender ever to suit up for us at the time, pure class everytime he had a touch on the ball, you could see it.

jloome
03-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Having never heard of either of todays signings I cannot say much until I see them on the pitch. From a club perspective it's nice to see that were adding youth and I like the idea of Sanyang going into the Academy for a few months, shows the club is committed on building young talent IMO.

Whether Gomez can step in and do a job remains to be seen. Still believe we will see more movement soon in the form of an established CB, it would only make sense, it is a big ask of an 18 year old.

And Tebily for me was the best defender every to suit up for us at the time, pure class everytime he had a touch on the ball, you could see it.

Coming and going. Easily, easily the best defender we had last year. How he didn't start game in and out is beyond me, reserve performances notwithstanding.

ccopela
03-03-2009, 08:28 PM
A bonus for me to these signings is that Gambia didn't qualify for the U-20 World Cup this summer so we won't lose them for a large chunk of the summer/fall and if Canada makes it to the U-20 World Cup we'll be without Nana and Gala.

T_Mizz
03-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Also, they're gone from the 2010 World Cup and African Cup of Nations so next year we're in the clear too

devioustrevor
03-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Also, they're gone from the 2010 World Cup and African Cup of Nations so next year we're in the clear too

I have my doubts either of them would be involved anyways. Besides, the Cup of Nations is played in before the MLS season starts (January and February I believe).

T_Mizz
03-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Well you never know, if they come in and dominate the MLS, then why shouldn't they be on the team, after all I think the Nyassi's have had callups

T_Mizz
03-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Anyone watch Amadou Samayang's Interview on TFC TV?
His goal this year is winning the league, wow love the attitude!

Nuvinho
03-03-2009, 11:29 PM
I think the website screwed up again?? The say Gomez is Senior Developmental player and Sanyang is a Senior roster player.

Since Gomez is being able to play right now, shouldn't he be the Senior player and Sanyang the Developmental player??

If that is the case, that that mean Hall will only be able to sign a senior contract??

T_Mizz
03-03-2009, 11:30 PM
yes and that's the way it should be the 17 year old should be a dev and then we can still use a senior on someone experienced

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-03-2009, 11:34 PM
I’m looking at the roster and I don’t even see Hall listed there:

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t280 (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t280)

Nuvinho
03-03-2009, 11:37 PM
I’m looking at the roster and I don’t even see Hall listed there:

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t280 (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t280)

wow, you are right.....he was there this morning. I guess he is gone??

Oblio2
03-03-2009, 11:47 PM
quote:THA BUTCHA

+1

Ossington Mental Youth
03-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Im certain we will see a couple more signings including our CB we are waiting for, these guys are great for the future but dont address our current prob, also i suspect Edwards will be sent away

Luanda
03-04-2009, 07:08 AM
wow, you are right.....he was there this morning. I guess he is gone??

Im certain we will see a couple more signings including our CB we are waiting for, these guys are great for the future but dont address our current prob, also i suspect Edwards will be sent away

You may be right. But with Hall not signing (cheap) and even Edwards traded, would we have enough cap space to bring in 2 quality players?

Hitcho
03-04-2009, 09:30 AM
^ imho, we only need one more quality player - another established CB who can also cover at full back for JB and MV if needed to, but is basically a specialist CB. That leaves us with a really strong starting XI and good cover throughout the side.

I think Edwards will stay for a while, at least until Frei has shown he is the business in an MLS match, and to keep the competition strong. Virtually no downside on the cap hit, so why not? Plus Frei might get bought for $$$ if he is that good, so we'll need Edwards on hand.

Also, what no-one really knows is how much allocation we have left, so cap space may not even be an issue.

ccopela
03-04-2009, 09:36 AM
So if Sanyang can't officially join the team until August, I'm assuming he's not officially under contract until then and therefore not getting payed. What's he going to do for money until August? work at McDonalds part-time?

Pachuco
03-04-2009, 09:41 AM
So if Sanyang can't officially join the team until August, I'm assuming he's not officially under contract until then and therefore not getting payed. What's he going to do for money until August? work at McDonalds part-time?

I thought the exact same thing. Then I thought, no one said he can't be on MLSE's payroll, he just can't get payed for playing footie. Maybe he'll help Paul find his stapler in the meantime and get payed for it :)

Then again, would he even have a visa to work in this country?

rocker
03-04-2009, 09:43 AM
well they said he'll get some academy games right? so he can't be being paid, I would think...
maybe he has relatives here he can live with. I guess we have to wait and see what the union pay documents say.

maybe he'll billet with Dichio!

TorontoBlades
03-04-2009, 09:58 AM
...and there's still the summer transfer window to bring in DP level help for half the price at CB.

I think we're good here....

T_Mizz
03-04-2009, 11:35 AM
...and there's still the summer transfer window to bring in DP level help for half the price at CB.

I think we're good here....
+1
I actually just said this in another thread, I see this being the team until a half priced DP in the summer as we're too full cap-wise to add someone of quality right now. But this is all good news because the current squad has been training together since Serioux got here and that was a while ago, never in our history has the team been this consistent, nearly an entire month together, going into the season.

Plenty of Trout
03-04-2009, 11:59 AM
+1
I actually just said this in another thread, I see this being the team until a half priced DP in the summer as we're too full cap-wise to add someone of quality right now. But this is all good news because the current squad has been training together since Serioux got here and that was a while ago, never in our history has the team been this consistent, nearly an entire month together, going into the season.

I think there have been posts here indicating that we are good under the cap still for a DP given the allocations.

Nonetheless, there doesn't appear to be any DP movement right now so you are probably right that it is this summer for a DP or not at all this year.

I_AM_CANADIAN
03-04-2009, 12:08 PM
The one thing that concerns me about this move is that it'll mean less playing time for Nana Attakora, a Canadian. He's not going to develop while sitting on the bench.

TorontoBlades
03-04-2009, 01:00 PM
or maybe he's not good enough yet...

Hitcho
03-04-2009, 01:05 PM
The DP talk has gone very, very cold recently. If you think back to Carver's "DP or I am gone" ultimatum, not much has been said ont he matter since. I think JC and Mo both realise that bringin in a DP, even if MLSE are prepared to fund a good one, just takes too much away from the overall quality of the rest of the squad. So instead, Mo has stockpiled allocation money and is building the strongest squad he can, rather than looking for the strongest player he can find. And it's a good call in my book.

Not saying a DP won't come in the Summer, but my money would be on an established non-DP CB to come in before the season starts, ideally who can cover well at full back if needed to.

trane
03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
The one thing that concerns me about this move is that it'll mean less playing time for Nana Attakora, a Canadian. He's not going to develop while sitting on the bench.

I expect Attakora to see alot of playing time this year, from what I saw he is pretty well ready to start in the MLS, now he will have to keep it up for a long strech of games, so he is still unproved. But my expectation is that he has a shot at a starting position.

Detroit_TFC
03-04-2009, 03:54 PM
The DP talk has gone very, very cold recently. If you think back to Carver's "DP or I am gone" ultimatum, not much has been said ont he matter since. I think JC and Mo both realise that bringin in a DP, even if MLSE are prepared to fund a good one, just takes too much away from the overall quality of the rest of the squad. So instead, Mo has stockpiled allocation money and is building the strongest squad he can, rather than looking for the strongest player he can find. And it's a good call in my book.

Not saying a DP won't come in the Summer, but my money would be on an established non-DP CB to come in before the season starts, ideally who can cover well at full back if needed to.

I'm thinking it wasn't a resource issue since MLSE signed off on the search, it was a lack of willing DP candidates. Maybe with an improved table standing and perhaps some success in the playoffs, the candidate pool will improve. If that's the situation, it was far better to wait.

Hitcho
03-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm thinking it wasn't a resource issue since MLSE signed off on the search, it was a lack of willing DP candidates. Maybe with an improved table standing and perhaps some success in the playoffs, the candidate pool will improve. If that's the situation, it was far better to wait.

Agree completely. The plastic pitch might also have been an issue, especially since we know the likes of Huckerby allegedly had issues with it.

I don't think a DP is a good idea until the cap space has been significantly increased anyway. Much better to have a stronger all round squad, which we now have.

Still hopign for one more kick ass CB to come in though, who can also cover at FB if needed... :D

giambac
03-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

All you do is whine.

Do something? Have you not been paying attention, or is your head too far up your own ass to notice what has been going on.

Forget the DP. We are very likely at or near the cap as it is. Would you rather us be an LA Galaxy, with two huge stars surrounded by shit, or Houston, a well balanced team that is always in the title hunt?

wake up dude. The DP doesn't impact our cap. Might as well use it and get a palyer that will help the team rather tahn save it to further deepen the pockets of MLSE.

giambac
03-04-2009, 06:07 PM
I imagine these guys names have been floating around scouting circles for a year now and Mo decided to reel them in.

Like others said, a lot of European scouts are in Africa now looking for the next generation. I have know idea if these specific players will work for us, but if Mo is looking in the same places as PL scouts, seems right to me. Or, if people prefer, I'm sure Mo and JC know some 35 yr old reserve League 1 players we could sign.

Pronblem is Mo doesn't have scouts so where did he hear about these players?? In the weekly Tabloids??

giambac
03-04-2009, 06:10 PM

For once Carver should stand behind his word and leave. I mean he was the one constantly making threats all year. How can you take him at his word next time he says something;)

Nuvinho
03-04-2009, 06:14 PM
wake up dude. The DP doesn't impact our cap. Might as well use it and get a palyer that will help the team rather tahn save it to further deepen the pockets of MLSE.

the DP doesn't impact the cap? hmmm.....that is interesting.

question, what happens to the $400K or the $200K half way to the season.

Boris
03-04-2009, 06:16 PM
For once Carver should stand behind his word and leave. I mean he was the one constantly making threats all year. How can you take him at his word next time he says something;)

listen, youre not adding any valuable insight.
All you are doing is pissing people off....keep you posts relevant and not spew crap...

DigzTFC!
03-04-2009, 06:23 PM
See kids....never go full retard.

Rudi
03-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Wow. WOW.

Perhaps you should pull your head out of your own ass and pay more attention. The DP doesn't impact our cap?

When you say something so absurd, do you actually expect the rest of us to take you seriously?

If the DP doesn't impact the cap, why is it that the LA Galaxy was handicapped with countless players making peanuts while Golden Balls, Landycakes and (for most of the year) El Pescadito were making DP-level wages?

Why didn't they just spend more money to bring up the level of the supporting cast?

The Answer, of course, is that the fucking DP does count against the cap! Quite significantly so.

I know, I know, you don't let silly little things such as 'facts' get in the way of the diarrhea that you pass off as posts around here, but perhaps the rest of this board should demand a minimum level of thought before people are allowed to click the "Submit Reply" button.

It would make this place a whole hell of a lot more enjoyable.

tfc
03-04-2009, 06:36 PM
maybe Giambac is Bob McCown in disguise?

Nuvinho
03-04-2009, 06:36 PM
^^ love the response, Rudi!!!

T_Mizz
03-04-2009, 06:40 PM
And the winna by technical knockout, the brute from the U (sector) RUDIIIIIII!!!!

Boris
03-04-2009, 06:45 PM
maybe Giambac is Bob McCown in disguise?

^^ love the response, Rudi!!!

And the winna by technical knockout, the brute from the U (sector) RUDIIIIIII!!!!

:lol:
:rofl:

brad
03-04-2009, 06:50 PM

Or you could just put him on ignore. That improved my RPB forum experience dramatically.

Kooper
03-04-2009, 06:51 PM
He's a pretty big kid....nice!

171lbs for 6'3 is not that big. I hope they put him on the all bacon diet while he hits the gym to bulk up. Danny Dichio is 6'3" 209 lbs.

deschamp86
03-04-2009, 06:54 PM
171lbs for 6'3 is not that big. I hope they put him on the all bacon diet while he hits the gym to bulk up. Danny Dichio is 6'3" 209 lbs.

The kid is 18 haha. Give him a break. When I was 18 I was 6'4 and 180lbs. I'm 22 now and am around 215lbs. He will fill out in time, he probably just finished growing upwards not long ago.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Or you could just put him on ignore. That improved my RPB forum experience dramatically.

yep
dudes just here trolling, i dont believe hes ever been to a game or was ever a fan

deschamp86
03-04-2009, 07:16 PM

Sorry to go off topic, but when I saw this picture I knew I had to have it. I went to McDonalds today and it was delicious.

djking2
03-04-2009, 07:24 PM
yep
dudes just here trolling, i dont believe hes ever been to a game or was ever a fan

giambac = cathal kelly

oops sorry wrong thread, I thought this was that one word thing

giambac
03-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Wow. WOW.

Perhaps you should pull your head out of your own ass and pay more attention. The DP doesn't impact our cap?

When you say something so absurd, do you actually expect the rest of us to take you seriously?

If the DP doesn't impact the cap, why is it that the LA Galaxy was handicapped with countless players making peanuts while Golden Balls, Landycakes and (for most of the year) El Pescadito were making DP-level wages?

Why didn't they just spend more money to bring up the level of the supporting cast?

The Answer, of course, is that the fucking DP does count against the cap! Quite significantly so.

I know, I know, you don't let silly little things such as 'facts' get in the way of the diarrhea that you pass off as posts around here, but perhaps the rest of this board should demand a minimum level of thought before people are allowed to click the "Submit Reply" button.

Dude,

the DP allows you to go ove rthe cap. ech team has a DP why else would they call it a DP just for the hell of it????

Why do teams trade for other teams DP if it doesn't allocate maore money to your cap??? I guess just for the hell of it:drinking:

deschamp86
03-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Dude,

the DP allows you to go ove rthe cap. ech team has a DP why else would they call it a DP just for the hell of it????

Why do teams trade for other teams DP if it doesn't allocate maore money to your cap??? I guess just for the hell of it:drinking:

$400K counts towards the cap with a DP. Would be better off just getting two solid $200K players rather than relying on one player to change your team.

Troll
03-04-2009, 07:52 PM
"DUDE"

The first $400k counts towards the teams salary cap. That figure represents a HUGE percentage of the teams total salary cap. Get a grip.

And why the fuck did I take you off 'ignore'?

dantdot
03-04-2009, 08:03 PM
I haven't been keeping up, is he playing dumb or is he just a moron? Also, ignore is a great feature.

Pachuco
03-04-2009, 08:10 PM
This just turned into the funniest thread ever. Back to the Gambians, is it true they count 3x against the cap because they are internationals?

trane
03-04-2009, 08:12 PM
^ What ?

rocker
03-04-2009, 08:12 PM
This just turned into the funniest thread ever. Back to the Gambians, is it true they count 3x against the cap because they are internationals?

no, they count 1/10th x times the cap cuz they are paid in Gambian shillings! ;)

Pachuco
03-04-2009, 08:13 PM
^ What ?

Rocker gets it :D

S_D
03-04-2009, 08:18 PM
"DUDE"

The first $400k counts towards the teams salary cap. That figure represents a HUGE percentage of the teams total salary cap. Get a grip.

And why the fuck did I take you off 'ignore'?

lol

Giambac... just for you as you entertain me to no end:
http://web.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=overview

look at 2(b) all about the DP rules.

And I swear Giambac that you don't read posts that respond to you. I already posted this for you, and I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't see it. There is a VERY good possible reason why there is no DP here. It is all about Vitti. If he works out and TFC BUY him, his transfer fee counts against the cap.

“As you can imagine in a world governed by a hard salary cap if the buyout clause is half a million bucks, sure you might have the allocation money but all of that allocation cost counts against the cap and so you have to account for that. As you probably know the designated player counts for $415,000 against the cap, and you are only allowed one designated player per team. So now if you have a $500,000 acquisition cost, before you pay the player a dollar you are already into DP territory. So now you have to structure not only your cap, but the DP slot and any potential fee with the player.”

http://keepinitrealsl.blogspot.com/2008/09/garth-lagerway-on-player-acquisitions.html

So if Vitti TANKS, no buying will happen, but if he starts scoring like mad, there has to be money to buy him somehow.

If we go get a DP and he signs for a few years and Vitti works out, where is that money going to come from? It won't which means Vitti will either return to his club when the loan is over or another MLS team will pounce on him.

And if they fulfill your wish and get a DP now, you will be the first to complain if Vitti was great and has to leave.

I can hear it now. "TFC should have kept Vitti but MLSE is too cheap to pay."

Pachuco
03-04-2009, 08:20 PM
lol

Giambac... just for you as you entertain me to no end:
http://web.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=overview

look at 2(b) all about the DP rules.

And I swear Giambac that you don't read posts that respond to you. I already posted this for you, and I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't see it. There is a VERY good possible reason why there is no DP here. It is all about Vitti. If he works out and TFC BUY him, his transfer fee counts against the cap.

http://keepinitrealsl.blogspot.com/2008/09/garth-lagerway-on-player-acquisitions.html

So if Vitti TANKS, no buying will happen, but if he starts scoring like mad, there has to be money to buy him somehow.

If we go get a DP and he signs for a few years and Vitti works out, where is that money going to come from? It won't which means Vitti will either return to his club when the loan is over or another MLS team will pounce on him.

And if they fulfill your wish and get a DP now, you will be the first to complain if Vitti was great and has to leave.

I can hear it now. "TFC should have kept Vitti but MLSE is too cheap to pay."

Damn I never saw that perspective. Thanks for that!

S_D
03-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Damn I never saw that perspective. Thanks for that!

You're welcome.

I just hope Giambac reads it. :D

romburgundy
03-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I hear Agger's not happy at liverpool would that be more what people wanted.

Guys we got two young players let's reserve judgment until we see them play but I say its a step in the right direction. Young blood, off the radar (who would think of looking in Gambia really).

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see a Daniel Agger at TFC but let's give these guys a chance here. I know we all want results right now. This is a smart move if they are good that is.

NOW WHERE'S MY DP
WHAT HAPPENED TO NO DP NO JOHN CARVER.

I will reiterate what a wise man once said

"Never go full retard"

jloome
03-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Well, here's a bold prediction: despite never having seen him play, I say any player who is a second year pro centre back, is from Africa (which means a myriad of immigration issues), is 6'3 and was put on the senior roster is probably a major senior roster player for us this year.

If there isn't another CB signed (and I can see that being the case, with both Velez and Harmse still on the roster), then not only will Gomez start a lot, but he'll either be a horrible bust or a major, major player for us.

Mo hasn't made many mistakes lately. And he's seen how Bakare Soumare, a player of similar physique and cultural background, has performed in Chicago.

MLS teams, based on the need to broaden the talent base in years when the league is expanding, will be hitting African and South American talent more and more because a) it's still technically ahead of the U.S.'s own system and b) it's very cheap compared to the rest of the world soccer market.

Just watch: two years from now, Euro teams will be knocking the doors down to sign these guys (or at least we'll sell them to Rangers.)

Daveisonfire
03-04-2009, 10:27 PM
LOL this is why I can't put giambac on ignore I love seeing him get owned

DP doesn't count against the cap hahaha woooooooooooow

romburgundy
03-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Oh the rangers are shite sorry couldn't resist

Blizzard
03-04-2009, 10:57 PM
You're welcome.

I just hope Giambac reads it. :D

More likely that someone will have to read it to him.

Nuvinho
03-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Mo hasn't made many mistakes lately. And he's seen how Bakare Soumare, a player of similar physique and cultural background, has performed in Chicago.

good comparison.

giambac
03-08-2009, 08:51 AM
LOL this is why I can't put giambac on ignore I love seeing him get owned

DP doesn't count against the cap hahaha woooooooooooow

DP counts against the cap but only 400k. TFC has more than 400k left and if theybring in a top Dp player anything > 400k DOES NOT COUNT. SO why not do it. IT's just money and tehy have plenty of it.

Wake up guys. It's just money. I eman when you waste like 300+ on guys like Robinson and waste money on old worn out guys like Dichio why not get in a DP and even if you pay hime 700k to 1 million it's only a 400k hit which they have the room.

Bottom line if MO promised since day 1

Bottom line is Carver specifically talked out of his ass that he would leave if they didn't get a DP.

So who was bullshitting????????????

CretanBull
03-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Giambac hates the new guys because he thinks that Gambia is a county in England.

Pigfynn
03-08-2009, 09:07 AM
^^LMAO!!!

tfc
03-08-2009, 09:31 AM
DP counts against the cap but only 400k. TFC has more than 400k left and if theybring in a top Dp player anything > 400k DOES NOT COUNT. SO why not do it. IT's just money and tehy have plenty of it.

Wake up guys. It's just money. I eman when you waste like 300+ on guys like Robinson and waste money on old worn out guys like Dichio why not get in a DP and even if you pay hime 700k to 1 million it's only a 400k hit which they have the room.

Bottom line if MO promised since day 1

Bottom line is Carver specifically talked out of his ass that he would leave if they didn't get a DP.

So who was bullshitting????????????

omg, i cant believe this has been 7 pages of people trying to get it through your thick skull that WE ARE IN A SALARY CAPPED LEAGUE. Regardless of how much money MLSE has, Mo has to keep players' salaries WITHIN the cap. That being said, I think the official figure is something like $270,000 left, or so I remember from another thread.

Therefore, they don't have $400,000K to spend on a DP within the cap. Therefore, we have Vitti who may become our DP if he performs well this year. Therefore, you clearly haven't been following the league for the last 2 years if you haven't realized that a DP doesn't mean you will automatically get in to the playoffs, win the league, etc. Therefore, your an absolute moron who needs to stop posting because even some of the 12 year olds who follow this board know more than you do.

ExiledRed
03-08-2009, 11:38 AM
One DP is going to cripple our depth, it's a fact.

The players on our squad, need to be well paid and feel like they are not taking the fall for any one player, and a DP would mean more paycuts.

Our players get no extra money for the longer season that a CL qualification would incur, so they should at least get a good base salary to justify the extra work and this just wouldnt be possible with a DP on the current squad.

It would be much more viable to wait until mid season, when a DP would only cost $200,000 against the cap, and then loan a solid player for half a season during his off season in a better league.

CretanBull
03-08-2009, 11:51 AM
^ I agree completely...bottom line is that the league needs to raise the salary cap - by a lot. The DP player should represent about 10% of a team's cap hit, so the salary cap should be at least $4 million.

Flipityflu
03-08-2009, 11:57 AM
this is the thing people, you are talking to Giambic in ENGLISH. just doesn't work i'm affraid. you may as well just hammer nails into hardwood with your dicks.

Ignore is your bestest friend.

jloome
03-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Too funny. You're feeding the troll eight pages later? I swear, I'm starting to think Giambac is actually, like, Shaugno just fucking with everybody or something.

giambac
03-10-2009, 09:56 AM
omg, i cant believe this has been 7 pages of people trying to get it through your thick skull that WE ARE IN A SALARY CAPPED LEAGUE. Regardless of how much money MLSE has, Mo has to keep players' salaries WITHIN the cap. That being said, I think the official figure is something like $270,000 left, or so I remember from another thread.

Therefore, they don't have $400,000K to spend on a DP within the cap. Therefore, we have Vitti who may become our DP if he performs well this year. Therefore, you clearly haven't been following the league for the last 2 years if you haven't realized that a DP doesn't mean you will automatically get in to the playoffs, win the league, etc. Therefore, your an absolute moron who needs to stop posting because even some of the 12 year olds who follow this board know more than you do.

Well if your figures are accurate then someone sure has fucked up - Right MO!

I mean he promised us a DP since day 1 and now your telling me he doesn't have the room to acquire the DP. maybe he should take a finace course on how to balanc ethe books and allocate salaries. But first I want both him and Carver to take a soccer 101 Course.

As a season ticket holder I'm happy with the acquistion of DeRo but overall he has done fuck all in filling our most pressing need at CB. It will come back to bite him.

CretanBull
03-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Adding Serioux is slightly more than "fuck all"....I hate Mo too, with guys like Vidic begging to play here I don't know why he hasn't signed him yet. Fire Mo! Fire Mo!

TorontoBlades
03-10-2009, 10:13 AM
They should do what the NBA does, impose a soft cap, where the team pays a tax for exceeding that amount...my reco

5 million cap, with a luxury tax on anything in excess

TorontoBlades
03-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Well if your figures are accurate then someone sure has fucked up - Right MO!

I mean he promised us a DP since day 1 and now your telling me he doesn't have the room to acquire the DP. maybe he should take a finace course on how to balanc ethe books and allocate salaries. But first I want both him and Carver to take a soccer 101 Course.

As a season ticket holder I'm happy with the acquistion of DeRo but overall he has done fuck all in filling our most pressing need at CB. It will come back to bite him.

Most teams with a DP have been epic failures for the reasons noted in this thread

the DP takes up too much of a percentage of a capped salary to make any sense,
football is a team sport, having one player "designated" is an obvious disruption to that balance and would cause some degree of instability in the locker room
no footballer at an acceptable price, age, and form, would reason giving up the depth necessary to make this signing happen - he would have to be at least two footballers in one body to have this make any sense. I would even go as far as to say all the sacrifices wouldn't merit a player of even Messi's form joining TFC...all it takes is an injury to this player, and your effectively left with a team full of comprimises

before one can even make this arguement - as Creatan Bull stated, the wage cap needs to be addressed

TFC_Chris
03-10-2009, 10:38 AM
One DP is going to cripple our depth, it's a fact.

Well, if one DP will cripple our depth, we need a second DP to add to that depth. :p

I'd like you to name 17 times in this league where having two DPs have been a hazard to the team itself....:D

If you can't, than I'm afraid giambac wins the argument....:hide:

:leaving:

TorontoBlades
03-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Well, if one DP will cripple our depth, we need a second DP to add to that depth. :p

I'd like you to name 17 times in this league where having two DPs have been a hazard to the team itself....:D

If you can't, than I'm afraid giambac wins the argument....:hide:

:leaving:

are you being sarcastic...if you're not, LA Galaxy last year....Bex, Donovan, and a bunch of pub players

now you give me one time, when it was successful?

TFC_Chris
03-10-2009, 10:57 AM
are you being sarcastic...if you're not, LA Galaxy last year....Bex, Donovan, and a bunch of pub players

now you give me one time, when it was successful?

Extremely....

Now, you've named one...can you name 16 other instances of it going horribly awry?

TorontoBlades
03-10-2009, 11:01 AM
The only other one I can think of was DCU, and they absolutely shot themselves in the foot from the moment they signed Gallardo, and have been trying to tunr back the clock since

Oh yeah, Red Bulls....they didn't turn around their year until Reyna retired and saved their asses

Whoop
03-10-2009, 11:05 AM
I think giambac is upset because he is dyslexic.

Thought the headline said "Reds sign Giambac as a defender"

Stryker
03-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Does anyone else envision Giambiac as a child throwing a temper tantrum on the floor when they read his posts?

Chevy
03-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Does anyone else envision Giambiac as a child throwing a temper tantrum on the floor when they read his posts?

Like this?

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A1726/172614/300_172614.jpg

giambac
03-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I think giambac is upset because he is dyslexic.

Thought the headline said "Reds sign Giambac as a defender"

It certainly would be an improvement of the currrrent situation;)