PDA

View Full Version : 2009 - the Year TFC vaults to the top in Toronto

Wagner
03-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Jays aren't even peddling hope this summer.
Garbage signings. Injuries and excuses already.

Argos stink. Rebuilding. Jacked up their prices to a level that doesn't match the quality of play.

Toronto Rock - are irrelevant. No TV deal. Not even webstreams this year.

Leafs - Rebuilding - not in the playoffs.

Raps - Not making the playoffs.

that leaves TFC.

The team is already beloved by the core followers. But my prediction is this summer the team starts to get better coverage. Front of Sport Section coverage.
The team has a great deal of hope...
Bringing in DeRo, Serioux, Vitti, etc...Dichio is healthy.
CCC is now established, people know what to expect...playoffs are on the horizon.

This is the summer that TFC really takes hold as Toronto's Summer Team.

Which is only a good thing for the Team, more attention, more revenue, pushes the agenda for expansion and real grass.

my $0.02

maninb
03-03-2009, 01:23 PM
You've still got a lot of HATERs out there, including TSN, the Toronto Star, the Fan590(Bob McCowan), etc etc....So I'd be careful making such a statement...

T_Mizz
03-03-2009, 01:26 PM
^^True never thought of it like that, starting with the NHL and NBA playoffs there will be only 3 sports teams for Torontonians to follow and TFC is the only team that will be able to deliver

Wagner
03-03-2009, 01:37 PM
You've still got a lot of HATERs out there, including TSN, the Toronto Star, the Fan590(Bob McCowan), etc etc....So I'd be careful making such a statement...

But there will be minimum leafs news, no raps news, no one wants to read about losers.

What I'm sort of saying is, if TFC kicks a lot of ass, it will almost force the haters to at least acknowledge TFC. And if they've captured the imagination of the general public, it would be hard for them to not follow them.

think of the possible headlines.

1) Raps unsure who to take at #9.
2) Brian Burke still looking for right Kaberle deal.
3) Jays lose 4th straight.
4) Argos get bounced by bluebombers.
5) TFC wins 5th straight thanks to DeRo's 2 goals at a soldout BMO.

TFCREDNWHITE
03-03-2009, 01:43 PM
But there will be minimum leafs news, no raps news, no one wants to read about losers.

What I'm sort of saying is, if TFC kicks a lot of ass, it will almost force the haters to at least acknowledge TFC. And if they've captured the imagination of the general public, it would be hard for them to not follow them.

Props to your mind! I like your way of thinking!

We have to start having that champion mentality! I hope we get some wicked media coverage this year!!

canadian_bhoy
03-03-2009, 01:44 PM

get real Wagner. The Leafs will always be the top story in this city - no matter what the season is. IF the leafs finish low enough, you will get tons of coverage about the draft lottery and who they will pick. Even if that doesn't happen, the build up to free agency is enough to keep the leafs leading the news until July 1.

Success will certainly give TFC more exposure, but the club is still a long way off from becoming consistently the top headline grabber in the summer.

Wooster_TFC
03-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Take a look at the Sundin situation last year. I'm pretty sure the entire summer at least once a week there was a headline "Sundin to decide on when to decide, maybe" and people gobbled it up.

With all due respect, I doubt the lack of competitiveness elsewhere will vault TFC into the number 1 spot in the media. There will be more talk about the Tavares sweepstakes, what Burke's going to do, and heck, probably even more about how badly the Jays are doing, as well as some stories on what they could get in a trade for Halladay.

While I hope that TFC garners more interest, there's no way it's going to be an overnight thing. It will take years of effort to bring TFC into the mainstream media limelight, and from some comments about the pressers so far this year (can't remember whom they were from), there appears to be an increased interest already, which is definitely a good sign.

drewski
03-03-2009, 01:46 PM

Rock (and all NLL games for that matter) are broadcast for free online.

and dont' forget some TFC fans new most hated team, the Toronto Nationals, essentially the defending champs of the MLL

T_Mizz
03-03-2009, 01:49 PM
get real Wagner. The Leafs will always be the top story in this city - no matter what the season is. IF the leafs finish low enough, you will get tons of coverage about the draft lottery and who they will pick. Even if that doesn't happen, the build up to free agency is enough to keep the leafs leading the news until July 1.

Success will certainly give TFC more exposure, but the club is still a long way off from becoming consistently the top headline grabber in the summer.
True as much as TFC may be the only legitamate news, fake leafs news/leafs speculation will always be better news stories in this city.
You said "burke still looking for right Kaberle deal" as a lesser news story but the sad thing is that it can actually be a front page (of sports section)headline.

Hitcho
03-03-2009, 01:52 PM

That's true, but the media are fickle. They can hate on TFC now because we're seen as small and representing a foreign sport. But if TFC starts to become a big(ger) thing in the city, then the haters will dry up, or at least become far more scarce. Think about it - if everyone wants to follow the team's success and get a piece of the summer action at BMO Field then journos are not going to be throwing shit in those people's faces.

Hitcho
03-03-2009, 01:56 PM
You know what, as much as I'd like to see the srpot grow here and for TFC to become a really big deal, part of me wants things to stay how they are. Right now we as fans have a pretty intimate relationship with the club - there's plenty of access, to the point we were all pissed off at not being invited to De Ro's presser. but if TFC becomes huge, that will dry up a bit, the players will become more non-plussed about the fans, etc.

Who's the equivalent of Paul Beirne at the Leafs and how many fans from supporter groups does he know by name and recognise on sight? And how often does he go on the forums and post the kind of juicy info Paul does on here? When was the last time the leafs players did an end of season pub crawl around the GTA?

I will really miss all that stuff if it ever goes, and becoming bigger will likely lead to that.

Wagner
03-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Leafs will always be #1 in Toronto.
But as far as the summer teams, if TFC steps it up, they could jump to the top of the mountain.

Trying to see the opportunity this summer...

rocker
03-03-2009, 02:37 PM
i think things will slowly change in coverage as more fans come on board TFC and more TFC friendly journalists get in positions of power.

I used to be a big leafs fan... I was a HUGE Jays fan when they were winning World Series. Now I honestly don't give a crap about either team. I don't even watch their highlights if that's all that's on the TV highlight shows.

I hope there are others like me out there, and somebody there will be a critical mass of us for the media outlets.

giambac
03-03-2009, 02:54 PM

Argos stink. Rebuilding. Jacked up their prices to a level that doesn't match the quality of play.

that leaves TFC.

The team is already beloved by the core followers. But my prediction is this summer the team starts to get better coverage. Front of Sport Section coverage.
CCC is now established, people know what to expect...playoffs are on the horizon.

Which is only a good thing for the Team, more attention, more revenue, pushes the agenda for expansion and real grass.

my $0.02

Dreamer, nothing but a Dreamer..............

I love soccer and TFC but let's get real.

TFC has a long way to go. When are we getting our DP Mo has promised us from Day 1???????

TFC will always be at best the 4th team in Toronto after the Leafs, Blue Jays and the Raptors. They will and already are ahead of the argos who play in a mickey mouse league.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-03-2009, 03:00 PM

TFC has a long way to go. When are we getting our DP Mo has promised us from Day 1???????

TFC will always be at best the 4th team in Toronto after the Leafs, Blue Jays and the Raptors. They will and already are ahead of the argos who play in a mickey mouse league.

and BMO will still be a high school stadium!

Suds
03-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Leafs will always be #1 in Toronto.
But as far as the summer teams, if TFC steps it up, they could jump to the top of the mountain.

Trying to see the opportunity this summer...

as far as a summer team that can be in the headlines, the potential is there as you stated in your first post ... the key, however, will depend on how TFC delivers

NF-FC
03-03-2009, 03:10 PM
FOR FUCKS SAKE PEOPLE, STOP QUOTING GIAMBAC!

I don't want to know he exists, stop ruining it for me.

ginkster88
03-03-2009, 03:15 PM
When are we getting our DP Mo has promised us from Day 1???????

Who cares?!?! At this point a DP would cripple us as far as the cap goes, unless Mo can work allocation magic next season and we see a significant cap raise.

Talent is up all over the field: the team has upgraded at GK, defense, midfield AND up front.

This team doesn't need a DP to make and win in the playoffs, and is a vast improvement on last year's squad.

What more do you want?

As far as the thread goes... the NHL playoffs will dominate until June, and the NBA and NHL off-seasons are going to be beaten to death as Colangelo and Burke both get set to make major moves. We can expect a lot of noise about the Jays as well, as Riccardi tries to plug the holes all over that roster, or gets fired while trying.

As far as TFC, I think at most we could expect a few more special interest pieces than usual during the void of mid-July to August; and that is only if we are tearing up the league!

AL-MO
03-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Wagner, as much as I'd like to see that happen I don't think it will.

Media outlets will still focus on Jays, Raps and above all the Leafs. And the rest of the NHL. And it will be reporting and talking about non-stories and non-issues. "Calgary signs their 4th round pick ____ _____ out of North Dakota State." TFC should get more attention then crap like that, but its going to take time.

drewski
03-03-2009, 03:30 PM
As far as the thread goes... the NHL playoffs will dominate until June, and the NBA and NHL off-seasons are going to be beaten to death as Colangelo and Burke both get set to make major moves. We can expect a lot of noise about the Jays as well, as Riccardi tries to plug the holes all over that roster, or gets fired while trying.

and while we don't have a team, there will still be a ton of media coverage leading into NFL training camp in August

ginkster88
03-03-2009, 03:36 PM
and while we don't have a team, there will still be a ton of media coverage leading into NFL training camp in August

Very true... and extensive coverage of the Bills to Toronto saga.

Roogsy
03-03-2009, 03:39 PM

that leaves TFC.

my $0.02

I agree Rob.

But this is a year that TFC can't afford to join the other loser organizations. This year they need to have some measure of success to capture the imagination of the public otherwise it will be wasted opportunity.

But if they do compete...if they do put a good product on the field, this could be a definitive year in the progress of TFC in this town.

Let alone if we win the whole damn thing...people will start jumping on board like crazy...even the biggest of doubters. Everyone loves a winner...and lord knows this town needs one badly.

drewski
03-03-2009, 03:46 PM
be careful what you wish for. given the limited seating (for now at least) the last thing most of us want is a summer version of Leaf games, where (quiet) business people who don't really care have take over and real fans find it even harder to get tickets

Sab0tage
03-03-2009, 03:52 PM

TFC will always be at best the 4th team in Toronto after the Leafs, Blue Jays and the Raptors. They will and already are ahead of the argos who play in a mickey mouse league. Whine whine whine. I'm surprised you haven't been banned yet.

Roogsy
03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Whine whine whine. I'm surprised you haven't been banned yet.

Actually he was banned for a while...and then was allowed back.

MUFC_Niagara
03-03-2009, 04:42 PM

Wagner, as much as i'd like to see it happen...The Laughs dominate EEEVERYTHING.....I mean Leafs Lunch 365 days a year???? "This just in, Kaberle took a shit and its green with a bit of corn in it." The coverage for the Leafs in the off season is stupid.

GuelphStorm2007
03-03-2009, 11:23 PM
I know it is still preseason and anything can happen. But this could be a good chance for TFC to expand there Brand this year.
Both the Leafs and Raptors are both having lousy seasons, The Jays are already dismissing this season and looking forward to 2010, and the Argos are rebuilding. If TFC has the season that we are hoping for they might get some extra media attention that has failed in the past. They will never pass the Leafs in popularity, but neither could the Jays during the world series years. Should be very interesting . :canada::drinking:

Waggy
03-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Also, I doubt theres much support for them on this board, but the Argos have actually made a bunch of VERY very good moves this offseason. VERY good. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were in the grey cup this summer. That said: in Toronto, if you win, you'll get press. And I do think TFC will win a lot more this year. Its just about how far we can go.

Bars92
03-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Also, I doubt theres much support for them on this board, but the Argos have actually made a bunch of VERY very good moves this offseason. VERY good. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were in the grey cup this summer. That said: in Toronto, if you win, you'll get press. And I do think TFC will win a lot more this year. Its just about how far we can go.

HA! Don't kid yourself, they still have that tube - Kerry Joseph at QB and their defence is still a shambles. Argos 'aint shit.:D

twistedchinaman
03-04-2009, 02:50 AM

The pecking order is:

- More wins than 2008
- Enough wins for playoffs
- Playoff win
- Canadian Championship
- Conference title
- Supporters' Shield
- MLS Cup
- Champions League Group Stage
- CL Knockout Rounds
- CL Championship
- Club World Cup

Anything less than the first five would be unacceptable. Set the bar high I say.

RedWookie
03-04-2009, 02:55 AM
be careful what you wish for. given the limited seating (for now at least) the last thing most of us want is a summer version of Leaf games, where (quiet) business people who don't really care have take over and real fans find it even harder to get tickets

Amen bro.