PDA

View Full Version : Would Owen Hargreaves count as a Canadian

cougars732
03-02-2009, 06:02 PM
im aware its totally improbable.
just wanted to know if his citizenship status would count as an international or as a canadian in MLS.
great game by Man U btw
loving free march on setanta

H Bomb
03-02-2009, 06:04 PM
yes....

cougars732
03-02-2009, 06:07 PM
thought if you renounce the ability to play for your national team you renounce your nationality status in terms of a soccer player?

Oldtimer
03-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Post this sort of thing in the "Toronto FC" discussion section. It's not news.

sulfur
03-02-2009, 06:11 PM
You don't renounce your citizenship. And that's what the MLS rules go by. Not which national team you play with, but which country you are a citizen of or hold a green card in.

trane
03-02-2009, 06:17 PM
I understand that this is an interesting question, but if we could sign Haregraves I would not give a [ I am going to stop swearing] poop about wether he counts as a Canadian or not. However, as there is no chance is hell that we will be able to sign him any time soon, who cares. Does anyone think that he could be a DP in this league?

brad
03-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Does anyone think that he could be a DP in this league?

He's a first choice player for the back to back Champions of England and the reigning Champions of Europe. Of course he could be a DP.

I'm not just saying that as a United Supporter. Any player that in the starting XI of Chelsea, Milan, Barca, Madrid ect would be DP material IMHO.

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 07:29 PM
And even at DP, the majority of the starters for those teams are improbable for most if not all MLS teams, IMO.

canadian_bhoy
03-02-2009, 07:30 PM
He counts as a douchebag!

Bender
03-02-2009, 07:38 PM

QFTW.

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 07:39 PM

He counts as one of the best Canadians to ever play the game!

Derko
03-02-2009, 07:45 PM

Exactly right, and Canada does Fuck All for Football Players!!

BakaGaijin
03-02-2009, 07:47 PM

...but not quite as good as Landon Donovan.

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Last time I checked, Ontario, California was apart of the United States of America. ;) Calgary however, is quite Canadian.

werewolf
03-02-2009, 08:03 PM

Yes he does.

deschamp86
03-02-2009, 08:12 PM
I personally wouldn't want him. I would however like to see him in the MLS so we could boo the hell out of him everytime he played TFC.

Keegan
03-02-2009, 08:18 PM

No respect for traitors

Less respect for the people who defend them.

Hargreaves is as Canadian as Brett Hull.

H Bomb
03-02-2009, 08:25 PM
^^^:lol::smilielol5::lol:

thanks i needed a good laugh.

anyways, we've done the hargreaves = judas or some guy arguement a hundred times....and it has nothing to do with this thread...what's it's asking and how it's asking it...

so again, yes he would classify as Canadian (as he is one)

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
^^^:lol::smilielol5::lol:

thanks i needed a good laugh.

anyways, we've done the hargreaves = judas or some guy arguement a hundred times....and it has nothing to do with this thread...what's it's asking and how it's asking it...

so again, yes he would classify as Canadian (as he is one)

Exactly. Question was answered. No need to get back into the Hargreaves hating. There has been enough threads already.

Kooper
03-02-2009, 09:54 PM
He's a first choice player for the back to back Champions of England and the reigning Champions of Europe. Of course he could be a DP.

I'm not just saying that as a United Supporter. Any player that in the starting XI of Chelsea, Milan, Barca, Madrid ect would be DP material IMHO.

Anybody but Darren Fletcher.

zeelaw
03-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Word lol...

no but seriously Canada turned its back on him first... research it.

Keegan
03-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Word lol...

Canada turned its back on him? He was cut from the U17s! How is that turning your back? De Guzman was cut from U17s, Klukowski was cut from U17s all these players being 1981 born players.

So if Wayne Rooney was cut from England U17s it would be right for him to play for Canada? Because he would have such a bruised ego and would never play for England again?

Heathen
03-02-2009, 10:33 PM

Yes i know its been done to death but come on! that's like saying Ryan Giggs is one of the best Englishmen to ever play the game

ExiledRed
03-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Canada turned its back on him? He was cut from the U17s! How is that turning your back? De Guzman was cut from U17s, Klukowski was cut from U17s all these players being 1981 born players.

So if Wayne Rooney was cut from England U17s it would be right for him to play for Canada? Because he would have such a bruised ego and would never play for England again?

It happens to us all the time, Giggsy playing for Wales is an example.

It pisses us off, because that robs England of a great player, but we don't go calling for the guy to be burned at the stake.

H Bomb
03-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Hargreaves looks like a Welshman anyways. I'd take him on TFC any day of the week.

TFC07
03-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Owen Hargreaves is a DM, right? To be honest here, I would rather have Jonathan De Guzman than Owen Hargreaves since he is a Toronto kid unlike Owen who is from west coast. (He can play for whitecaps if he wants to).

Toronto Ruffrider
03-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Do we really need a thread for this? We know Hargreaves would count as a domestic player for TFC, just as O'Brian White counts as a domestic even though he's cap-tied to Jamaica. We don't need to re-open old debates in which national allegiances are discussed ad nauseam.

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-02-2009, 11:04 PM

well said!!

AL-MO
03-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Owen Hargreaves is a DM, right? To be honest here, I would rather have Jonathan De Guzman than Owen Hargreaves since he is a Toronto kid unlike Owen who is from west coast. (He can play for whitecaps if he wants to).

This is a pointless thread, made worse by this post....

Toronto Ruffrider
03-02-2009, 11:09 PM
This is a pointless thread, made worse by this post....

Agreed, this thread should be closed.

SweetOwnGoal
03-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Word lol...

Not really. A Canadian u-17 team cut him when he was 14 because he was too small and was afraid to play physically with the older players. That's hardly a case of Canada turning its back on him.

OH had every right to make the choice he did. And I have every right not to respect him for it.

But, yes, he'd be a Canadian by MLS rules.

AL-MO
03-02-2009, 11:14 PM
So the answer is YES.

http://www.lifeisabuse.com/images/closed.png

Stryker
03-03-2009, 01:35 AM
Why would he have come back to play for a team who cut him after he had gone on to play for a better team?
The CSA is a joke and will continue to be a joke for another decade short of someone going in and cleaning house by way of shotgun.
Brennen, DeRo, Guzman.. they've all called out the CSA.
I guess Hargreaves is the asshole though because he answered the door when opprotunity knocked.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-03-2009, 01:38 AM
did we just sign Hargrieves?

james
03-03-2009, 02:05 AM

ya but he probably would never admit to being Canadian. Hes a douchbag.....he would never come play for a Canadian club like TFC!

james
03-03-2009, 02:17 AM
Why would he have come back to play for a team who cut him after he had gone on to play for a better team?
The CSA is a joke and will continue to be a joke for another decade short of someone going in and cleaning house by way of shotgun.
Brennen, DeRo, Guzman.. they've all called out the CSA.
I guess Hargreaves is the asshole though because he answered the door when opprotunity knocked.

its not that he went to play for England that makes many people hate him. Its the fact that he wants nothing to do with Canada. He doesn't come across as being proud to be Canadian at all, he seems almost ashamed to be Canadian.

I remember him in an interview and he said how he is more English then he is Canadian because he grew up with English parents, (or somethin on those lines anyways) even tho he lived in Calagary from birth to 16 years old and then went to play in Germany for like 10 years....how is he more English is what i asK? my parents grew up in England to, but i grew up in Canada and would always say im more Canadian then English.

Stryker
03-03-2009, 02:24 AM
Im guessing he just feels he relates more to the english. The football, the food, the lifestyle. I don't fault him for that.
Besides whats the alternative really? How do you feel canadian?
We have no culture. Its all a blend of everybody elses.
There is absolutely nothing unique about us and we have no real identity.
Sorry but I feel its very true.

james
03-03-2009, 02:53 AM
Im guessing he just feels he relates more to the english. The football, the food, the lifestyle. I don't fault him for that.
Besides whats the alternative really? How do you feel canadian?
We have no culture. Its all a blend of everybody elses.
There is absolutely nothing unique about us and we have no real identity.
Sorry but I feel its very true.

Culture all blended in as one, you can say the same about many parts in England now. My parents grew up in Birmingham, have you seen what Birmingham is like now? Its like going to Brampton, huge South Asian population there. The city with the most Curry shops in the World isss....its Birmingham, even more then anywhere in India, shows how English culture is changing. London, England you see loads of people from other countries as well. You can find any group of people in certain parts of London. Believe it or not London has a Canadian area with a Canadian pub. They also celebrate Canada Day and thousands of canadians come out for it each year, they borded off Trafalgar square to celebrate it last year with a concert and all. Funny how in the bussiest part of London they celebrate a Canadian holiday, shows how English culture is changing.

And nothing unique? we got are Tim Hortans, are own National Sport with Hockey night in Canada. We got freezing cold winters with good old drunk holidays like May 24 or Canada Day. Culture in Canada even changes between each province. From BC to Alberta to Ontario to Quebec and the East coast with different culture and different accents and even different languages.

If you go to other countries and see how different they are thats only because Canada is also so different.

I_AM_CANADIAN
03-03-2009, 02:56 AM
im aware its totally improbable.
just wanted to know if his citizenship status would count as an international or as a canadian in MLS.
great game by Man U btw
loving free march on setanta
Born in Canada, probably still a citizen, so yes.