PDA

View Full Version : Ferdinand with some rude comments about the MLS

Pachuco
03-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Some pretty rude comments from Ferdinand about the MLS. I know it's not the best source, but if it's true, then I'm a little annoyed. WTF does he know about soccer in north america? if Beckham said this, I could understand it since he's lived it and can actually form an opinion.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/man-utds-ferdinand-beckham-shouldnt-have-joined-la-galaxy-230117

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand says David Beckham was wrong to join LA Galaxy.
Ferdinand told the News of the World: “I wouldn’t have gone, that’s for sure. But everyone’s motivations are different. I would never have gone to America to play football if I was his age. Never. No way.
“Even if you win the league there, what does it mean? It doesn’t mean anything. I don’t think he’s going to change football at all there, they’re not interested.
“No disrespect, but that’s the truth. But everyone’s different and I respect that.”

Damien
03-01-2009, 07:47 PM
He's right about Americans being disinterested... but over time...

Ladies Love Julius James
03-01-2009, 07:48 PM
He's entirely correct. Beckham still has football left in him why come to league that wouldn't mean much if you win it. See no one cares that Clownbus won the league last year but those Hudson street wankers. No one would care if Beckham wins.

Shakes McQueen
03-01-2009, 07:50 PM
News of the World and Tribal Football are both terrible sources, guilty of making shit up all the time. I wouldn't necessarily place much stock in this story as being true.

I still remember last season, when Tribal Football claimed BMO Field was imminently getting the same brand of grass pitch installed, that Arsenal has at the Emirates.

- Scott

Brooker
03-01-2009, 07:56 PM
maybe i'd be mad if i actually cared what that manu scum had to say.

i like my league. i dont need him to tell me how good it is.

loconet
What's rude about it? What he says is reality. Judging by the title I thought he had said worse.

Americans (and most Canadians) in general don't really give a flying shit about the sport compared to the rest of the world. I think there is a trend towards changing that but we're not there yet. I always doubted that Becks would have been able to make a huge difference in that respect.

There are many leagues around the world where the quality of of play, fan base, world wide "respect" is superior than the MLS so he is right when he says that for someone like Becks, winning the league here really doesn't mean much. MLS is still a relatively young league. In some time, that will change.

But who cares what he thinks. I still enjoy the league and TFC :D

Shakes McQueen
He's entirely correct. Beckham still has football left in him why come to league that wouldn't mean much if you win it. See no one cares that Clownbus won the league last year but those Hudson street wankers. No one would care if Beckham wins.

But why even bother being a TFC supporter then, if you consider winning the league they play in to be a completely meaningless accomplishment?

Winning the MLS Cup isn't on the same scale globally as winning the Scudetto, obviously. But saying winning the league is meaningless as a general statement, is just European football snobbery bullshit (assuming Ferdinand even said it - see above).

Beckham came to MLS, because he was getting old, and thought his best days were behind him after his lackluster tenure at Madrid. He came to supposedly be an ambassador for the sport in North America, and try to grow the sport's roots here. He didn't come for the chance to put the crown jewel in his trophy cabinet, in the MLS Cup.

- Scott

Ladies Love Julius James
03-01-2009, 07:57 PM
He came here because he thought he had no gas left in the tank and for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. At AC he realized he still has it and wants to play at a more competitive level.

BC101
03-01-2009, 07:59 PM
good ol Rio.... Tell it like it is. No one gives a fuck outside of Toronto DC and like Chicago(sort of) and i guess Houston draws some people out?

Ladies Love Julius James
03-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Toronto only would care IF they won it, that's a fact. Same with all the other clubs that have a nice fan base which is like Chicago, DC and maybe Houston

BC101
03-01-2009, 08:03 PM
oh i meant in terms of regular turn out and somewhat media coverage.. City Tv to their credit spends sometime on it when its going on and sportsnet ofcourse is all over it. The cities i mentioned only got mentioned cos they had SG's of note... BB, S.E.,S8 and whatever houstons fellas are called... Oragina....

billyfly
03-01-2009, 08:06 PM
MLS - it is what it is.

I'm interested to see what FIFA and the 6/5 rule (if it passes) do to the highest leagues (EPL, La Liga, Serie A etc..)

Pachuco
03-01-2009, 08:07 PM
What's rude about it? What he says is reality. Judging by the title I thought he had said worse.

Americans (and most Canadians) in general don't really give a flying shit about the sport compared to the rest of the world. I think there is a trend towards changing that but we're not there yet. I always doubted that Becks would have been able to make a huge difference in that respect.

There are many leagues around the world where the quality of of play, fan base, world wide "respect" is superior than the MLS so he is right when he says that for someone like Becks, winning the league here really doesn't mean much. MLS is still a relatively young league. In some time, that will change.

But who cares what he thinks. I still enjoy the league and TFC :D

The MLS is 14 years old. So relative to that, I think the MLS is doing quite well. It's pretty ignorant to say that people here are not interested. It takes time to grow a league.

Shakes McQueen
03-01-2009, 08:18 PM
The MLS is 14 years old. So relative to that, I think the MLS is doing quite well. It's pretty ignorant to say that people here are not interested. It takes time to grow a league.

Exactly, and in the case of North America - we aren't just growing a new league, we are growing the sport itself as a viable professional product.

As for the MLS Cup - it's an important achievement to MLS fans, such as myself. If you don't care who wins it, then there is no point in following Toronto FC. Major League Soccer is our team's domestic league, and the MLS Cup is the trophy you get for winning it. And I care about who wins it - especially when it isn't us.

I don't get jackasses who say the MLS and MLS Cup don't matter, just because neither has the international prestige of the top-flight European leagues. We are young, and growing.

- Scott

Pigfynn
03-01-2009, 08:18 PM
It's funny how a lot on here are saying nobody in North America gives a shit. When what you really mean is no major media is covering it. Saying nobody cares about it is pure ignorance. Compare MLS attendance numbers to the world as a whole and we fair pretty well. Millions of people care about the sport here, it's simply about steering them towards the MLS.

OneLoveOneEric
03-01-2009, 08:19 PM
I don't think it was ignorant at all. I agree with you that there is vast potential for people to become interested in MLS. But right now, Rio's pretty close to the truth. Obviously there are people that care about MLS, but it's a pretty small slice of the pie right now. Rio never said anything to suggest that MLS would NEVER be important.....

Pigfynn
03-01-2009, 08:23 PM
I don't think it was ignorant at all. I agree with you that there is vast potential for people to become interested in MLS. But right now, Rio's pretty close to the truth. Obviously there are people that care about MLS, but it's a pretty small slice of the pie right now. Rio never said anything to suggest that MLS would NEVER be important.....

" I don't think he’s going to change football at all there, they’re not interested. "

t.o_moose
03-01-2009, 08:24 PM
who gives a shit what Rio Ferdinand thinks? What the fuck does he have to do with this league?

now if Garber or someone on this continent were to make comments like this, then we should be concerned

plus, any time MLS is mentioned outside of this continent, it just creates more interest in the league.. positive or not.

OneLoveOneEric
03-01-2009, 08:26 PM
" I don't think he’s going to change football at all there, they’re not interested. "

Right. Beckham won't change football here. Not nobody will.....
And I think we all agree that no one person can change this league.

Pigfynn
03-01-2009, 08:29 PM
I think it's clear he's saying that we (in north america) are NOT interested in soccer

Ladies Love Julius James
03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
It's funny how a lot on here are saying nobody in North America gives a shit. When what you really mean is no major media is covering it. Saying nobody cares about it is pure ignorance. Compare MLS attendance numbers to the world as a whole and we fair pretty well. Millions of people care about the sport here, it's simply about steering them towards the MLS.

Then compare tv ratings, merchandise sales, media exposure, and television revenue.

OneLoveOneEric
03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
And I would have to agree, that the majority of North America is NOT interested in domestic soccer.

Shakes McQueen
03-01-2009, 08:50 PM
And I would have to agree, that the majority of North America is NOT interested in domestic soccer.

But that doesn't mean anything, in regards to the viability of the sport here, or how meaningful the MLS Cup is.

The sport is growing. Revenues are growing. Demand for franchises is growing. The MLS Cup matters to fans of the teams in the MLS.

If the MLS Cup doesn't mean anything to you (not meaning you specifically), then I can safely say you aren't a Toronto FC supporter. It's as simple as that.

If 50 years from now, MLS is still small potatoes, and fans and TV ratings haven't grown, then I will consider Rio's alleged comments to be valid. His alleged comment that the MLS Cup is meaningless, is straight-up European football snobbery.

I wonder if fans of teams in the Swedish Premier League see their domestic league as "meaningless", simply because it isn't the EPL, or the Serie A.

- Scott

loconet
03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
... It's pretty ignorant to say that people here are not interested...

You don't agree that compared to the rest of the world, North Americans don't really care about the sport as much? Are you serious? .. I think that's what Ferdinand was referring to. I'm sure he didn't qualify that statement absolutely.

OneLoveOneEric
03-01-2009, 09:05 PM
But that doesn't mean anything, in regards to the viability of the sport here, or how meaningful the MLS Cup is.

The sport is growing. Revenues are growing. Demand for franchises is growing. The MLS Cup matters to fans of the teams in the MLS.

If the MLS Cup doesn't mean anything to you (not meaning you specifically), then I can safely say you aren't a Toronto FC supporter. It's as simple as that.

If 50 years from now, MLS is still small potatoes, and fans and TV ratings haven't grown, then I will consider Rio's alleged comments to be valid. His alleged comment that the MLS Cup is meaningless, is straight-up European football snobbery.

I wonder if fans of teams in the Swedish Premier League see their domestic league as "meaningless", simply because it isn't the EPL, or the Serie A.

- Scott

Can't disagree with anything you've said there! Well put.

jabbronies
03-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Winning the MLS cup doesn't mean anything in the Soccer world. It's like winning the 3rd division championship in England, or or First division in Australia. No one is interested. The news of it happening won't go past the country that league plays in.

He's totally right to say what he said. The only reason you come to America to play is to regain glory that you've lost in the big leagues like EPL, La Liga, Serie A.
And by regaining that glory in America, you can probably hang out with mega movie stars and such.

reggie
03-01-2009, 09:10 PM
maybe he should worry more about why the meca of soccer (england) has not won anything for 50 years...

towersofsalford
03-01-2009, 09:24 PM
maybe he should worry more about why the meca of soccer (england) has not won anything for 50 years...

as a opposed to north americas dominance in world football?

Shakes McQueen
03-01-2009, 09:29 PM
as a opposed to north americas dominance in world football?

We aren't the ones taking pot shots at the football league in their country.

- Scott

towersofsalford
03-01-2009, 09:34 PM
We aren't the ones taking pot shots at the football league in their country.

- Scott

it will be just like ice hockey of nfl style football here, people love it and play it, but it a small minority, MLS is not as popular as some in it would like to think.

Super
03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
The MLS is still a very young league, and let's get one thing clear: the MLS is played in by FAR the biggest financial market in the world. IF the MLS should grow, and who knows where it might be in 20 years or so, it'll be something worth watching by the entire world. Until then it's just as anonymous on the world stage as the Danish, Dutch or Polish league. But that doesn't mean it should be disrespected or cancelled. It's our football!

Shakes McQueen
03-01-2009, 09:48 PM
The MLS is still a very young league, and let's get one thing clear: the MLS is played in by FAR the biggest financial market in the world. IF the MLS should grow, and who knows where it might be in 20 years or so, it'll be something worth watching by the entire world. Until then it's just as anonymous on the world stage as the Danish, Dutch or Polish league. But that doesn't mean it should be disrespected or cancelled. It's our football!

EXACTLY.

- Scott

Pachuco
03-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm with Shakes and Super on this one. No need to go out and disrespect the league. In fact, footballers known around the world (such as Rio) should support the sport growing in parts of the world where never thought before. This guy has no idea how many people in northamerica watch the European leagues. We don't have Setanta, GoalTV and FoxSports for nothing. And that is in Canada, a country not known for watching soccer at all.

Edit: Forgot Telelatino :)

towersofsalford
03-01-2009, 10:06 PM
I think people are being a bit precious of what MIGHT have been said, anyway last i'll post on it cause people will disagree and hand wring

BC101
03-01-2009, 10:06 PM
yeah I do agree no need to insult the league per se... No argument there.

shaggingscot
03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
good ol Rio.... Tell it like it is. No one gives a fuck outside of Toronto DC and like Chicago(sort of) and i guess Houston draws some people out?

So in three years if he's offered the same money as Beckham to shoot off to the colonies to play football you think he'd turn it down? I'm willing to bet he think about it more than he says he would.

I just happen to think that today's modern footballer is motivated far more by money than love for the game and loyalty to a club than they used to be when I was but a wee lad getting lifted over turnstiles.

Roogsy
03-01-2009, 10:11 PM

Agreed...are people thinking a decade-old league is going to be filling arenas? The interest needs to grow and be developed. Attitudes like that only ensure soccer will never grow in North America. It takes visionaries to make it happen and those the ones that take the lead will be called the Fathers of the league and of soccer in North America. Examples like Lamar Hunt.

Everyone else who takes shots are simply quitters or are soccer snobs with their noses in the sky.

This is a process. Don't believe in it? Keep your opinions to yourself. We live in a region of the planet where there are multiple major sports competing for the attention of the public. Not one or two major sports and a whole bunch of little sports that fill the gaps.

Ladies Love Julius James
03-01-2009, 10:13 PM
What about NASL. Here from 68-84. Had greats like Best and Pele. Still didn't grow an inch.

BC101
03-01-2009, 10:15 PM
What about NASL. Here from 68-84. Had greats like Best and Pele. Still didn't grow an inch.
I was watching a history of the NASAL video the other day... Man that was less a league than a circus performance....all this weird stuff happening in the stadiums... New York Cosmos(?) running pele to the point of him saying "guys dont' pass me the ball anymore":eek:

SoccMan
03-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Winning is winning I don't care what league it is. My Sunday morning beer league indoor team just won our league, and nobody outside of my team members and some of the teams we played against care, but I must say it felt good winning the league. If TFC were to win an MLS Cup it would be amazing and I could care less how many people cared, the fact that I cared is good enough for me.

Ladies Love Julius James
03-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Elton John part owned the LA Aztecs LOL

Super
03-01-2009, 10:28 PM
The MLS is far more of a pure league han the NASL ever wanted to be. It's a good product. But it's a little too careful for my taste. However, in due time we'll see a much stronger league.

Also, hey, consider this fact: we're all part of the wild west of football. Every other league in the world has grown to its max and that's as good as they'll ever get. We, on the other hand, can look forward to bigger and better things. The league has grown with each year, and now with Seattle, and certainly us, the league is stronger in support as well.

BC101
03-01-2009, 10:30 PM
I've been following the Jleague since it started it did start off somewhat slow... But It grew fast... and after the WC it just exploded in popularity... The problem with MLS is they had the WC first and then made the league after the love affair died down.

Then put teams in the most ridiculous cities... Clownbus? Salt Lake? Colorado? FFS tell me another.

Derko
03-01-2009, 10:30 PM
What a useless pile of crap, this thread is.
But I will comment:

I do care if TFC does or does not win the MLS Cup because I am a loyal supporter of TFC and our league, sure it may not be the EPL,SPL or La Liga but it is what we have.
And as far as what is reported in the Tabloids, I could give a rat's ass.

Heathen
03-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Well yes it is true that most of the North American sporting public doesn't really give a fuck about soccer but his comments still feel like an insult. From the MLS fans perspective you could interpret it as, "You're idiots for watching this crap, why don't you support a team in a real league instead", not all that surprising coming from a big 4 player I suppose

Detroit_TFC
03-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Becks is a big boy. Nobody put a fucking gun to his head to sign with MLS (with the possible exception of Simon Fuller). Nobody was banging on the door at Madrid to buy him. He moved to build his brand and so Vicki could get into the movies.

If China had a better functioning league, who knows, he might have signed there.

BC101
03-01-2009, 11:01 PM
I think we all know that Beck's location is strictly decided by where Posh is shopping the most at the minute...

MUFC_Niagara
03-01-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what he said wrong. Everything he said is true. Winning the league means fuck all because of the playoffs. Americans don't care about "soccer." No one in their prime wants to come play here. That's a summary of his quote......all true.

BBBulldog
03-02-2009, 12:51 AM
Ferdinand, piece of shit mercenary to the highest degree :)

Cashcleaner
03-02-2009, 01:24 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what he said wrong. Everything he said is true. Winning the league means fuck all because of the playoffs. Americans don't care about "soccer." No one in their prime wants to come play here. That's a summary of his quote......all true.

Well, just because the league pushes the MLS Cup, does that really mean the supporters don't care about the Supporter's Shield? I think there is a bit of a disconnect between how the league is presented and what we consume as fans.

I'm making a bold prediction, but as long as nobody seriously drops the ball, I see soccer being HUGE here in less than ten years time. And by that I mean the more successful clubs from MLS on relative par with others from EPL, La Liga, and Serie A.

Azerban
03-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Maybe he should a little less time worrying about what people think of MLS and a little more time attending his drug tests. Just a thought.

ensco
03-02-2009, 07:31 AM

MLS wouldn't be where it is without NASL. Don't kid yourself.

NASL had a whole group of franchises that were very successful.

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Becks is a big boy. Nobody put a fucking gun to his head to sign with MLS (with the possible exception of Simon Fuller). Nobody was banging on the door at Madrid to buy him. He moved to build his brand and so Vicki could get into the movies.

If China had a better functioning league, who knows, he might have signed there.

Exactly right, and Rio said he made the wrong decision. That's his opinion and he's entitled to it. That said, people are taking this as gospel and it's coming from two very unreliable sources. For fuck sakes, even the reliable ones chop inteviews to make them have more impact. This board makes me laugh at how often people over react over a single article.

Maybe he should a little less time worrying about what people think of MLS and a little more time attending his drug tests. Just a thought.

Maybe, or maybe he'll keep passing them like he did less than 24 hours after missing it. There are plenty of sports with drug abuse, football albeit having it's fair share, is far from the worst offender.

TFCREDNWHITE
03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm a United fan,

That being said, Ferdinand can go fuck himself if he said that...

Not everyone can have a club that was founded in 1878, has a stadium with the capacity of nearly 80,000! and carries a debt load of nearly HALF a BILLION!! with a yearly salary of of who knows how much!?

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm a United fan,

That being said, Ferdinand can go fuck himself if he said that...

Not everyone can have a club that was founded in 1878, has a stadium with the capacity of nearly 80,000! and carries a debt load of nearly HALF a BILLION!! with a yearly salary of of who knows how much!?

All of which have nothing to do with an out of context quote published in a SHIT online news rag, to gain publicity.

Guess what? SMUT SELLS. All the fucking journo's use and abuse it.

Still, what he said isn't that far fetched. Compare the MLS to the JLeague. They have their shit figured out. They're selling out massive stadiums. At this point in time, the MLS is still far from the 'big show'.

The only thing I disagree with, is that he says it's the worst mistake Beckham made. It's hard to tell, because he was kind of in a shitty situation at Madrid and the MLS came knocking. If it wasn't for that, he wouldn't have made his way to Italy, and with that, back into the National squad.

bhoybobby
03-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Some pretty rude comments from Ferdinand about the MLS. I know it's not the best source, but if it's true, then I'm a little annoyed. WTF does he know about soccer in north america? if Beckham said this, I could understand it since he's lived it and can actually form an opinion.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/man-utds-ferdinand-beckham-shouldnt-have-joined-la-galaxy-230117

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand says David Beckham was wrong to join LA Galaxy.
Ferdinand told the News of the World: “I wouldn’t have gone, that’s for sure. But everyone’s motivations are different. I would never have gone to America to play football if I was his age. Never. No way.
“Even if you win the league there, what does it mean? It doesn’t mean anything. I don’t think he’s going to change football at all there, they’re not interested.
“No disrespect, but that’s the truth. But everyone’s different and I respect that.”

Old fecking trout face has spent a lot of time in the U.S & Canada following the game has he? Decent if overrated player, but as sharp as a bowling ball. Certainly not one of the games great thinkers.

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Old fecking trout face has spent a lot of time in the U.S & Canada following the game has he? Decent if overrated player, but as sharp as a bowling ball. Certainly not one of the games great thinkers.

Taking your quite obvious hatred for all United, or at least this United player out of the equation. Was he really that far off base on his comments? Even if they were taken out of context?

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 08:51 AM
As an aside, if this was such big news, why hasn't a single other smut rag posted about it? Not on BBC, Sky, Sun, DailyMail, etc. Not a single fucking drop about it.

Pure garbage IMO.

In fact, after spending 5 mins on the site that TribalGarbage seems to 'quote' from. There doesn't appear to be a single article on Rio about the MLS.

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Actually, here's the Rio 'Exclusive'.

Find me the quote.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/196384/RIO-FERDINAND-EXCLUSIVE.html

bhoybobby
03-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Taking your quite obvious hatred for all United, or at least this United player out of the equation. Was he really that far off base on his comments? Even if they were taken out of context?

I don't hate United, I do dislike the supposed United fans that breed like Rabbits everytime they win something, not including you in that group.

Rio's speaking out his arse, he knows 4/5ths of feck all about the game in North America. Given the size of America pop wise & the resources they have, they will continue to be players on the world stage. They've been very successful on the international front in a relatively short time.

Let's face it the amount of clubs in the English game that are in a dire financial state is frightening. Old trout mouth is no football economist though,

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 09:01 AM
I don't hate United, I do dislike the supposed United fans that breed like Rabbits everytime they win something, not including you in that group.

Rio's speaking out his arse, he knows 4/5ths of feck all about the game in North America. Given the size of America pop wise & the resources they have, they will continue to be players on the world stage. They've been very successful on the international front in a relatively short time.

Let's face it the amount of clubs in the English game that are in a dire financial state is frightening. Old trout mouth is no football economist though,

He may be speaking out his ass, but he's quite right on most of what he's quoted as saying. Even though I've yet to find this interview they claim to have taken this from.

North America has the potential for sure, but look what the JLeague has done in a similar amount of time. The International team does not equal the MLS, far from it actually.

Azerban
03-02-2009, 09:04 AM
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/196452/CRISTIANO-RONALDO-GOT-IT-WRONG.html

Oldtimer
03-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Association football is a niche sport here, but an important one.

It is what it is. Not a top three league, but entertaining football (especially live). It is growing, and will continue to grow.

Although the NASL went under due to excessive spending and overexpansion, what we have now is due to the NASL. Before the NASL, you couldn't find a youth soccer pitch in most communities. That changed with the hightened awareness that came from that league (if you check, most GTA youth clubs were founded in the 1970's or later). The kids who played in the 70's and 80's became the fans of today. Immigrants before the 1970's felt they had to "adapt" and have their kids learn baseball. Now they feel comfortable having their kids play the world's game.

Add to all of this broadcasts of foreign leagues (which weren't available until the 1980's), and football knowledge has grown, with people being able to appreciate the nuances of the game.

Oldtimer
03-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Don't forget that in many parts of Europe, football was originally seen as a foreign, "British" game. In Germany, for example, gymnastics was the traditional national sport. Now the Bundesliga is an important football power. MLS is actually quite comparable to the Bundesliga in the 1950's, and will likely grow to be a major sport, just like it has in Germany. That's why it makes a lot of sense that MLS has made a strategic alliance with the Bundesliga.

bhoybobby
03-02-2009, 09:14 AM
He may be speaking out his ass, but he's quite right on most of what he's quoted as saying. Even though I've yet to find this interview they claim to have taken this from.

North America has the potential for sure, but look what the JLeague has done in a similar amount of time. The International team does not equal the MLS, far from it actually.

Well, we agree to disagree, but i think the North American scene has more upside growth wise that the game in Britain. A lot of clubs in the U.K, including the top flight are virtually bankrupt on the balance sheet. You need only look at the great clubs that have slid outta the picture.

The market is fecked over there, Sepp Blatter's is a bit of a wanker, but he's right when he says the games wealth has to be distributed & the financial playing field leveled. As or the J league, I attended 4 games there last summer, they get good crowds & some of the footie's good, but they don't sell out every game. Their national team is a bit lightweight.

Keep in mind, Tokyo has a pop of 39 million folk, so the support is there by virtue of the amount of people, Baseball's a much bigger sport.

One of the top team over there couldn't afford to bring Nakamura back from Celtic & they're owned by Nissan. The financial winds of change a re gusting through footie, this would be lost of Ferdinand though, he's as deep as a puddle.

Pachuco
03-02-2009, 09:25 AM

If you trully think he's right when he says this:

“Even if you win the league there, what does it mean? It doesn’t mean anything. I don’t think he’s going to change football at all there, they’re not interested."

Then let me give you some advice. Stop supporting the MLS. Keep supporting United and watch them fall when 6+5 gets implemented :). You can't possibly support a league which you think will never get better.

brad
03-02-2009, 09:42 AM

Actually Milan wanted to sign him at the time. Ancelotti himself said so.

Detroit_TFC
03-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Actually Milan wanted to sign him at the time. Ancelotti himself said so.

I hadn't heard that, interesting.

Detroit_TFC
03-02-2009, 09:51 AM
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/196452/CRISTIANO-RONALDO-GOT-IT-WRONG.html

Wow, Ferdinand had lots to say. I'm surprised he didn't give a prescription for solving the global financial crisis. Maybe NOTW left that part out. :rolleyes:

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 09:51 AM

Fair enough, I was looking in the wrong place :lol: It's still a smut mag NOTW, I mean. Again, why hasn't a 'credible' source picked it up?

Well, we agree to disagree, but i think the North American scene has more upside growth wise that the game in Britain. A lot of clubs in the U.K, including the top flight are virtually bankrupt on the balance sheet. You need only look at the great clubs that have slid outta the picture.

The market is fecked over there, Sepp Blatter's is a bit of a wanker, but he's right when he says the games wealth has to be distributed & the financial playing field leveled. As or the J league, I attended 4 games there last summer, they get good crowds & some of the footie's good, but they don't sell out every game. Their national team is a bit lightweight.

Keep in mind, Tokyo has a pop of 39 million folk, so the support is there by virtue of the amount of people, Baseball's a much bigger sport.

One of the top team over there couldn't afford to bring Nakamura back from Celtic & they're owned by Nissan. The financial winds of change a re gusting through footie, this would be lost of Ferdinand though, he's as deep as a puddle.

I never disagreed with the fact that NA has more growth potential. The game in most of the world, is established and doesn't have any room for growth. North America is different because the game is very much still in it's infancy.

I simply said, that most of what he said wasn't far fetched, in fact most of it was fairly accurate IMO.

If you trully think he's right when he says this:

“Even if you win the league there, what does it mean? It doesn’t mean anything. I don’t think he’s going to change football at all there, they’re not interested."

Then let me give you some advice. Stop supporting the MLS. Keep supporting United and watch them fall when 6+5 gets implemented :). You can't possibly support a league which you think will never get better.

What does it mean? Columbus won the double, what does anyone care about though? They care about the MLS Cup, not the league. Winning the league means almost dick all here. It has no real 'status' to winning the MLS Supporters Shield as the focus is solely on the MLS Cup.

Again, he's not wrong with his statement there. He (Beckham) isn't going to change that. He was brought in for a reason, (marketing) and he did his job for the league quite well. Players like GBS, Angel, Ljungberg, etc. probably wouldn't have come here if Beckham hadn't have made the big splash that he did.

Don't tell me who to support. You're 'calling me out' on a comment that is posted in a smut rag intentionally written to draw people into their garbage online magazine. It's people like you who read too much into their poorly written and severely edited interviews and articles, that give them something to write about. You get all pissy over an article, published by a second rate drama journo, who probably couldn't get a job with a proper news company because he has to 'slag' other people just to make a fucking living.

I've never said the MLS won't get better. In fact, I've said quite the opposite in the past. That doesn't mean I support the league, nor that I HAVE to support the league as you seem to suggest. I support Toronto FC, full stop. I don't give two shits if Clownbust or LA Galax-shit, wins the SuperCopa or whatever. If the league does better and it benefits TFC, fantastic. If not, big whoop. I'll still support TFC, even if somehow we got bumped down in a relegation some years down the road.

Get off your fucking high horse and quit reading so much into shit articles.

Super
03-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Rio was absolutely correct in the statement he made. NOBODY on the planet outside of the US and Canada give two shits about our league - full stop. It's not televised anywhere else in the world, nor do any country even show highlights - unless it's a small bit about the MLS Cup final, or maybe when Beckham played his first game. Other than that, we're a 3rd world football league, and that's the way it is. We've seen it before: players leave our league for second division Norwegian football. It's just that simple. However, that being said, it's our football, and we all know that it's better than nothing - and actually not as bad as people would make it out to be. But then, heck, nor is Norwegian football, so ...

Personally I SERIOUSLY doubt I would come to the MLS if I was at present a top 30+ player in Europe. Why put yourself through all that travel, playing football for less money than you're used to and in a league that nobody follows. These are facts.

But I'm still happy as fuck to have one. And TFC is no doubt the cream of the crop as far as game-day experiences go!

Pachuco
03-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Fair enough, I was looking in the wrong place :lol: It's still a smut mag NOTW, I mean. Again, why hasn't a 'credible' source picked it up?

I never disagreed with the fact that NA has more growth potential. The game in most of the world, is established and doesn't have any room for growth. North America is different because the game is very much still in it's infancy.

I simply said, that most of what he said wasn't far fetched, in fact most of it was fairly accurate IMO.

What does it mean? Columbus won the double, what does anyone care about though? They care about the MLS Cup, not the league. Winning the league means almost dick all here. It has no real 'status' to winning the MLS Supporters Shield as the focus is solely on the MLS Cup.

Again, he's not wrong with his statement there. He (Beckham) isn't going to change that. He was brought in for a reason, (marketing) and he did his job for the league quite well. Players like GBS, Angel, Ljungberg, etc. probably wouldn't have come here if Beckham hadn't have made the big splash that he did.

Don't tell me who to support. You're 'calling me out' on a comment that is posted in a smut rag intentionally written to draw people into their garbage online magazine. It's people like you who read too much into their poorly written and severely edited interviews and articles, that give them something to write about. You get all pissy over an article, published by a second rate drama journo, who probably couldn't get a job with a proper news company because he has to 'slag' other people just to make a fucking living.

I've never said the MLS won't get better. In fact, I've said quite the opposite in the past. That doesn't mean I support the league, nor that I HAVE to support the league as you seem to suggest. I support Toronto FC, full stop. I don't give two shits if Clownbust or LA Galax-shit, wins the SuperCopa or whatever. If the league does better and it benefits TFC, fantastic. If not, big whoop. I'll still support TFC, even if somehow we got bumped down in a relegation some years down the road.

Get off your fucking high horse and quit reading so much into shit articles.

No but Rio may have. And if he did, you defend it. It's quite obvious why you are biased.

BTW - if anybody is overreacting here it's you. I don't see anyone freeking out over this except YOU!!! I just started the thread and figured we could have a conversation about it until you started defending Rio like he's your...

Super
03-02-2009, 10:01 AM

So true. I think you'll be hard-pressed to find 10 or 20 people out of the thousand+ on this board who actually followed the MLS pre-TFC. I personally don't care about the other teams, and I've yet to watch a full 90-minute game between other MLS teams. Why? Coz it's shit.

tfcleeds
03-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Regardless of where the article came from, whether its some internet rag, or the Daily Telegraph, if its true that ol' Duckface thinks that winning MLS means nothing, fine, he's entitled to his opinion. However, I'll also expect him never to come over here for a final payday in the twilight of his career if he thinks the league is so much shite.

rocker
03-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Rio was absolutely correct in the statement he made. NOBODY on the planet outside of the US and Canada give two shits about our league - full stop. It's not televised anywhere else in the world,

I know it's televised elsewhere in the world... Argentina for one. I'm sure it shows up in other countries, considering some company won the international TV rights last year.

Pachuco
03-02-2009, 10:12 AM
So true. I think you'll be hard-pressed to find 10 or 20 people out of the thousand+ on this board who actually followed the MLS pre-TFC. I personally don't care about the other teams, and I've yet to watch a full 90-minute game between other MLS teams. Why? Coz it's shit.

Following the MLS pre-TFC is irrelevant. I didn't even know who LA Galaxy was before TFC joined MLS. Who cares. I support TFC now which means I want the league to do better. I find it annoying that a sports figure from Europe takes a cheap shot at a league that has existed for 14 years.

To be clear - Saying that this league will never change and people in northamerica are not interested is ignorant. Sports figures like these should be embassadors for the game and should support the growth of the game. For all he fucking knows his children will be begging to play for Toronto FC, the richest football club in the world.

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Exactly right, and Rio said he made the wrong decision. That's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

Was he really that far off base on his comments? Even if they were taken out of context?

No but Rio may have. And if he did, you defend it. It's quite obvious why you are biased.

BTW - if anybody is overreacting here it's you. I don't see anyone freeking out over this except YOU!!! I just started the thread and figured we could have a conversation about it until you started defending Rio like he's your...

I did defend Rio, by saying it was HIS OPINION. That, and I said he's right in MOST of what he's saying. I even explained where I agreed with him, which apparently you neglected to read, or just neglected to comment on anyway.

Pachuco
03-02-2009, 10:15 AM
I did defend Rio, by saying it was HIS OPINION. That, and I said he's right in MOST of what he's saying. I even explained where I agreed with him, which apparently you neglected to read, or just neglected to comment on anyway.

So why don't you enlighten us and tell us where he's wrong in what he said. I mean, after all, you are defending him. based on this message, we could very well agree and the argument is useless.

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Following the MLS pre-TFC is irrelevant. I didn't even know who LA Galaxy was before TFC joined MLS. Who cares. I support TFC now which means I want the league to do better. I find it annoying that a sports figure from Europe takes a cheap shot at a league that has existed for 14 years.

To be clear - Saying that this league will never change and people in northamerica are not interested is ignorant. Sports figures like these should be embassadors for the game and should support the growth of the game. For all he fucking knows his children will be begging to play for Toronto FC, the richest football club in the world.

Not even Rio is saying that in that article. He said that winning the league (supporters sheild) is meaningless. Which, to be quite honest, it is. He said that Beckham wasn't going to change football here.

“Even if you win the league there, what does it mean? It doesn’t mean anything. I don’t think he’s going to change football at all there, they’re not interested. "

What I disagree with is his statement that we're not interested. A large portion of the US is not interested, I can agree to that, but even still more and more people ARE starting to gain an interest in the MLS throughout North America. THAT is why Beckham was brought in and it worked very well.

Pachuco
03-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Not even Rio is saying that in that article. He said that winning the league (supporters sheild) is meaningless. Which, to be quite honest, it is. He said that Beckham wasn't going to change football here.

“Even if you win the league there, what does it mean? It doesn’t mean anything. I don’t think he’s going to change football at all there, they’re not interested. "

What I disagree with is his statement that we're not interested. A large portion of the US is not interested, I can agree to that, but even still more and more people ARE starting to gain an interest in the MLS throughout North America. THAT is why Beckham was brought in and it worked very well.

Man, I know you won't believe this. But we agree. I think it's a simple mis-understanding of what you thought I disagreed with and what I thought you agreed with.

I have no problem with him saying winning the MLS cup means nothing (if by that he meant on the world stage).

Edit: Oh, and I do believe he's saying football will never change here, but that's left up to interpretation:

I don’t think he’s going to change football at all there, they’re not interested

maninb
03-02-2009, 10:25 AM
"It's not televised anywhere else in the world, nor do any country even show highlights"

WRONG!!!!! It's shown throughout Latin America and some games/highlites are shown on SETANTA in Europe....Get your facts straight before saying such nonsense!

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Man, I know you won't believe this. But we agree. I think it's a simple mis-understanding of what you thought I disagreed with and what I thought you agreed with.

I have no problem with him saying winning the MLS cup means nothing (if by that he meant on the world stage).

Edit: Oh, and I do believe he's saying football will never change here, but that's left up to interpretation:

I don’t think he’s going to change football at all there, they’re not interested

He's talking about Beckham in that statement. So what he's saying is, "I don't think Beckham is going to change football at all there". Can't say I disagree with that at all.

Pachuco
03-02-2009, 10:32 AM
He's talking about Beckham in that statement. So what he's saying is, "I don't think Beckham is going to change football at all there". Can't say I disagree with that at all.

No single player can change football here. So if that's what he meant, then he's stating the obvious. However, to me, he's suggesting football will never change here because no one is interested. Like I said, it's all left up to interpretation.

I do agree though, this is all based on a very unreliable source, I said that in my first post.

MUFC_Niagara
03-02-2009, 10:33 AM
All I see here is people ragging on Ferdinand....not one person has said he is wrong for what he said, just that he shouldn't have said it. If that's the issue, then what is thread for? I'd like to see someone try and argue that what he said was wrong, because he isn't!

Roogsy
03-02-2009, 10:34 AM
He's wrong.

Happy now? :D

MUFC_Niagara
03-02-2009, 10:37 AM
He's wrong.

Happy now? :D

Explain why...

Pachuco
03-02-2009, 10:40 AM
All I see here is people ragging on Ferdinand....not one person has said he is wrong for what he said, just that he shouldn't have said it. If that's the issue, then what is thread for? I'd like to see someone try and argue that what he said was wrong, because he isn't!

He's wrong in suggesting the sport will never grow here because people aren't interested. Whether he said that I guess can be argued.

Roogsy
03-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Explain why...

There is 3 pages of people disagreeing with him. Among them are very good arguments as to why. I am not going to summarize everyone's point of view. Suffice to say I can understand why it would not be Ferdinand's preference, but his statements are not unequivocally true.

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 10:50 AM
There is 3 pages of people disagreeing with him. Among them are very good arguments as to why. I am not going to summarize everyone's point of view. Suffice to say I can understand why it would not be Ferdinand's preference, but his statements are not unequivocally true.

Nor are they unequivocally false either. He has a perspective that we don't. Someone who doesn't know the league very well, who only sees what the media feeds him, which to be fair, isn't much. It's an outsiders point of view, that none of us can claim to have.

olegunnar
03-02-2009, 10:51 AM
No single player can change football here. So if that's what he meant, then he's stating the obvious. However, to me, he's suggesting football will never change here because no one is interested. Like I said, it's all left up to interpretation.

I do agree though, this is all based on a very unreliable source, I said that in my first post.

How is it stating the obvious?
If it was obvious why would AEG spend all the money to bring him here? Why do we have a DP rule, that was called the "Beckham Rule"?

Rio speaks the truth.

One player no matter how popyular he is isn't going to change the perception of football in North America. You know what will? Changing the style of support. Like we have, like The Sons of Ben, Like the Emerald City supporters. That's our job, and the leagues job to facilitate that change.

Parachuting in big names isn't going to change anything...hopefully the league realizes that now.

olegunnar
03-02-2009, 10:53 AM

There are three pages of posts from insecure people with reading comprehension issues.

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 10:57 AM
How is it stating the obvious?
If it was obvious why would AEG spend all the money to bring him here? Why do we have a DP rule, that was called the "Beckham Rule"?

Rio speaks the truth.

One player no matter how popyular he is isn't going to change the perception of football in North America. You know what will? Changing the style of support. Like we have, like The Sons of Ben, Like the Emerald City supporters. That's our job, and the leagues job to facilitate that change.

Parachuting in big names isn't going to change anything...hopefully the league realizes that now.

Exactly. It's common knowledge to people who understand the game outside of North America. The league brought him in hoping to use his name and face as a marketing tool, and they seemed to think he COULD change the game here. Fact is, he hasn't and won't.

There are three pages of posts from insecure people with reading comprehension issues.

Complaining about a comment from a player in arguably the best league in the world who's only amibition is to accumulate the most amount of trophies possible throughout his playing career. I've never heard Beckham say anything like that. :p

tfcleeds
03-02-2009, 10:57 AM
What rankles me, more than anything, is the idea of another Premier League star popping off about a league in which he has never played. Was he wrong in MOST of what he said? Perhaps not, especially insofar as his comments re: Beckham are concerned. But to dump on the league in such a way as to say winning it means nothing, especially when you have played a grand total of zero minutes in that league, is a disservice to the players and the fans of MLS. I can guarantee you that if TFC wins the MLS Cup, it will mean something to me, and I know I'm not the only one.

And you can bet that if Rio was ever faced with the choice of winding down his playing days with the likes of Stoke or Sheffield United, or was offered millions from the likes of LA Galaxy or Red Bulls are Shite, he'd be on the first plane over here. I can guarantee you MLS would suit him if it helped fatten his wallet.

Roogsy
03-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Nor are they unequivocally false either. He has a perspective that we don't. Someone who doesn't know the league very well, who only sees what the media feeds him, which to be fair, isn't much. It's an outsiders point of view, that none of us can claim to have.

I can agree with this. But therefore as an outsider with a different perspective, those of us who are actually invested in this league can disagree. His attitude is one that will never see soccer in North America grow beyond a kid's game. As Toronto FC has shown, do it right and you can have a successful, professional system in place. So when he says things like "never"...it is defeatist. Had anyone at MLSE had that attitude, we would not have TFC today.

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 11:02 AM
What rankles me, more than anything, is the idea of another Premier League star popping off about a league in which he has never played. Was he wrong in MOST of what he said? Perhaps not, especially insofar as his comments re: Beckham are concerned. But to dump on the league in such a way as to say winning it means nothing, especially when you have played a grand total of zero minutes in that league, is a disservice to the players and the fans of MLS. I can guarantee you that if TFC wins the MLS Cup, it will mean something to me, and I know I'm not the only one.

And you can bet that if Rio was ever faced with the choice of winding down his playing days with the likes of Stoke or Sheffield United, or was offered millions from the likes of LA Galaxy or Red Bulls are Shite, he'd be on the first plane over here. I can guarantee you MLS would suit him if it helped fatten his wallet.

Find me an MLS fan who speaks highly of winning the League. Not the MLS Cup, the actual league aka the Supporters Shield. He's absolutely 100% correct on that statement. Winning the league in the MLS doesn't get you anything. It doesn't get your name out into the world of football. It doesn't do anything but slightly boost your ego, and that of your supporters.

Roogsy
03-02-2009, 11:03 AM

Nice broad paintbrush you are using there...

djking2
03-02-2009, 11:06 AM
What rankles me, more than anything, is the idea of another Premier League star popping off about a league in which he has never played.

In my opinion Mo Edu took a cheap shot in his post game interview Saturday. I posted it in the Edu thread. That kind statement does more harm and pisses me off a lot more.

olegunnar
03-02-2009, 11:09 AM

If one of your teamates or friends was trying to make a career move and was getting publically slammed for it. Would you not back him/her up and defend the decision if you had the chance?

Hey Rio...Beckhams a giant jerk trying to leave America isn't he!?!? No way NOTW, he's not a jerk, he wants to play top flight football. If he wins the league there no one who matters will care. Also him leaving won't be a bad thing for them, it's not like his presence will change anything in the grand scheme of things over there.

BUt that gets twisted here into a wah wah he made fun of us lets have a pity party and make fun of his appearence

olegunnar
03-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Nice broad paintbrush you are using there...

I borrowed yours

Roogsy
03-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah? Where have I used it?

I_AM_CANADIAN
03-02-2009, 11:14 AM
News of the World and Tribal Football are both terrible sources, guilty of making shit up all the time. I wouldn't necessarily place much stock in this story as being true.

I still remember last season, when Tribal Football claimed BMO Field was imminently getting the same brand of grass pitch installed, that Arsenal has at the Emirates.

- Scott
^yup. If Rio indeed did say this, it'd be all over the place. Likely a case of a shitty tabloid making things up, and a football rumours site which takes its information from those kind of mags and internet message boards falls for it.

tfcleeds
03-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Find me an MLS fan who speaks highly of winning the League. Not the MLS Cup, the actual league aka the Supporters Shield. He's absolutely 100% correct on that statement. Winning the league in the MLS doesn't get you anything. It doesn't get your name out into the world of football. It doesn't do anything but slightly boost your ego, and that of your supporters.

Yes, winning the Supporters Shield means absolutely jack squat. And if that is what Rio is referring to, fine. But if he's referring to the fact that being Champions of MLS means nothing, because there is no chance at playing Champions' League football, or because not many people outside N. America care about it, I disagree. I don't think the Columbus Crew players (and their 9 fans) were thinking after a long, hard fought season, "Geez, I know we won this thing, too bad it doesn't mean anything. This sucks - too bad I don't play in the Premier League or La Liga, where winning would actually mean something".

I don't care whether you're talking Swedish League, A-League, or the Uzbekistan league - no, those leagues in no way could ever compare to the top Euro leagues, but winning means something to the fans and players of those teams all the same.

And I also think he's wrong that soccer can't grow here. Other than that, I don't take issue with his comments.

I_AM_CANADIAN
03-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Like I said, I doubt these comments are coming from him. I don't think football players often do interviews with tabloids for one.

But whether they are or they're not, they're the typical Euro/Anglo-centric view of the football world that we've always had to deal with. tfc leeds, what you said is spot on. Winning any league is a big deal to the fans and the players of that team, whether it's the EPL, Serie A, the Finnish league or MLS.

trane
03-02-2009, 12:04 PM
How cares, what people think, the truth is seen on the pitch, I do not care about who we are percieved I care about how good the league, and more importantly TFC is on the pitch. Right now we need to proove ourselves, untill we do we shuold not complain, we should just endvour to get better. This goes for any league, MLS or Serie A. I can complain that Serie A is underestimated, but at the end of the day I have to hold my tounge when they have the result they just had in international play. Same goes for the MLS, what the fuck has it done to prove itself in the world of soccere, being beat by Joe Public does not speak well of the league. Have some of the MLS team dominate in this hempishere and that will change.

Roogsy
03-02-2009, 12:12 PM
How cares, what people think, the truth is seen on the pitch, I do not care about who we are percieved I care about how good the league, and more importantly TFC is on the pitch. Right now we need to proove ourselves, untill we do we shuold not complain, we should just endvour to get better. This goes for any league, MLS or Serie A. I can complain that Serie A is underestimated, but at the end of the day I have to hold my tounge when they have the result they just had in international play. Same goes for the MLS, what the fuck has it done to prove itself in the world of soccere, being beat by Joe Public does not speak well of the league. Have some of the MLS team dominate in this hempishere and that will change.

I think these statements may in fact be contradictory. If you don't care what others think that is fine, but this is a professional soccer player and one whose statements can influence other soccer players. And since you care how "good the league" is and the product on the pitch...anything that would influence a potential soccer player from coming over into this league would be something we should care about because it directly affects the quality of this league, not to mention potential sources of revenue such as sponsorship.

Shakes McQueen
03-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Not even Rio is saying that in that article. He said that winning the league (supporters sheild) is meaningless. Which, to be quite honest, it is.

I think this is probably a generous interpretation of what he meant by that statement.

Do you really think Rio is well versed as to how our league works - the fact that we actually have a playoff for the MLS Cup in addition to the Supporters Shield, based on league results - and was making a comment on that?

Or do you think it's more likely that he was making a broad statement that, because MLS is small potatoes on the global scene, winning the league here is meaningless?

He also said that the reason Beckham wouldn't make a difference over here, was because people are fundamentally uninterested in the sport.

There was plenty wrong with what Rio allegedly said (again, I'm still not convinced these quotes are legitimate).

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
03-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Yes, winning the Supporters Shield means absolutely jack squat. And if that is what Rio is referring to, fine. But if he's referring to the fact that being Champions of MLS means nothing, because there is no chance at playing Champions' League football, or because not many people outside N. America care about it, I disagree. I don't think the Columbus Crew players (and their 9 fans) were thinking after a long, hard fought season, "Geez, I know we won this thing, too bad it doesn't mean anything. This sucks - too bad I don't play in the Premier League or La Liga, where winning would actually mean something".

I don't care whether you're talking Swedish League, A-League, or the Uzbekistan league - no, those leagues in no way could ever compare to the top Euro leagues, but winning means something to the fans and players of those teams all the same.

And I also think he's wrong that soccer can't grow here. Other than that, I don't take issue with his comments.

Wish I had seen this before I bothered to post. You took the words right out of my mouth.

- Scott

trane
03-02-2009, 12:17 PM
I think these statements may in fact be contradictory. If you don't care what others think that is fine, but this is a professional soccer player and one whose statements can influence other soccer players. And since you care how "good the league" is and the product on the pitch...anything that would influence a potential soccer player from coming over into this league would be something we should care about because it directly affects the quality of this league, not to mention potential sources of revenue such as sponsorship.

I get this to a point, but no amoutn of spin is going to hide what is the truth we are a shit league. That is the point, we can pretend and try to send out the right message, but when our "top teams" loss to Joe Public the truth is shown. We want to be a top league do it step by step, develop your own players, and slowly build the reputation as you overall play gets better. Serie A, EPL , La Ligua and the other big leagues did not get there overnight, nor did they get there on international tallent from the outset, they built there own tallent and teams, to the point that they would be attractive to international players. You can call shit a rose, but it remains shit. Use the fertilizer to grow some roses.

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 12:18 PM
I think this is probably a generous interpretation of what he meant by that statement.

Do you really think Rio is well versed as to how our league works - the fact that we actually have a playoff for the MLS Cup in addition to the Supporters Shield, based on league results - and was making a comment on that?

Or do you think it's more likely that he was making a broad statement that, because MLS is small potatoes on the global scene, winning the league here is meaningless?

He also said that the reason Beckham wouldn't make a difference over here, was because people are fundamentally uninterested in the sport.

There was plenty wrong with what Rio allegedly said (again, I'm still not convinced these quotes are legitimate).

- Scott

Well given that Beckham attended all of United's training sessions whilst United was in Milan, I think it's safe to assume he and Rio talked a bit about the MLS. ;)

The majority of the American public are fairly uninterested in our sport. I'm sure Beck's hammered that point home to him as well.

I agree about the legitimacy of the article/quotes.

Shakes McQueen
03-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Well given that Beckham attended all of United's training sessions whilst United was in Milan, I think it's safe to assume he and Rio talked a bit about the MLS. ;)

But this would not be much of a (likely fabricated) "scoop" to NOTW, if he was just making a rather tame, nuanced statement about how the MLS league structure works. That's why I think it's a generous interpretation.

I don't necessarily disagree with Rio's point, that Beckham made a bad decision in coming to MLS - since it's pretty clear he can still play competitive football at a high level. I just disagree with some of the peripheral remarks he made about the league itself.

Our league is young and growing, just like the Bundesliga was 50 years ago, etc. Saying that winning our league is "meaningless", is just an unnecessary slight directed at MLS.

Again... assuming he actually said any of this.

- Scott

Boondaddy
03-02-2009, 01:48 PM
honestly, it doesn't matter what Rio does or does not mean....he's not in this league nor playing on this continent (and apparently never will). The leagues are really two different animals....

Winning it all means everything to Toronto FC and as such, means everything to me.

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 02:03 PM
honestly, it doesn't matter what Rio does or does not mean....he's not in this league nor playing on this continent (and apparently never will). The leagues are really two different animals....

Winning it all means everything to Toronto FC and as such, means everything to me.

Beautifully said Danny boy.

Suljazz
03-02-2009, 02:18 PM
well put dan... but i do think that rio is really stressing what playing in mls has done for beck's international game (or lack there of), rather than a slight on the mls, the players, or the game

Shakes McQueen
03-02-2009, 03:55 PM

Aww man, you're gonna get me all emotional. :D

- Scott

Kayed
03-02-2009, 03:57 PM
I could be wrong, but I doubt he knows the distinction between the Supporter's shield and the MLS cup, let alone imply it. It's obvious, to me at least, that he was referring the major trophy that teams in this league can win aka MLS cup. It's also obvious that he means that on a world scale, winning the MLS does not mean much. You can't really argue with that. The only way I might get insulted, might , is if he came out and said that out of the blue, which he didn.t

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I could be wrong, but I doubt he knows the distinction between the Supporter's shield and the MLS cup, let alone imply it. It's obvious, to me at least, that he was referring the major trophy that teams in this league can win aka MLS cup.

He and Beckham are good friends and just last week spent two days training together. Don't think it's too far fetched for him to know the difference between the two to be honest.

BFin
03-02-2009, 04:11 PM
I can skate better than Rio Ferdinand...another pointless story for us to argue about for 120 posts.
Do you like the MLS? yes?
Do you like TFC? yes?
Well then, who gives two shits what Rio thinks. Enjoy our soccer and just hope that our team is always trying to put the best squad on the field, and always playing to win.

Plus, could always be worse, you could be from Columbus.

MUFC_Niagara
03-02-2009, 04:22 PM
If one of your teamates or friends was trying to make a career move and was getting publically slammed for it. Would you not back him/her up and defend the decision if you had the chance?

Hey Rio...Beckhams a giant jerk trying to leave America isn't he!?!? No way NOTW, he's not a jerk, he wants to play top flight football. If he wins the league there no one who matters will care. Also him leaving won't be a bad thing for them, it's not like his presence will change anything in the grand scheme of things over there.

BUt that gets twisted here into a wah wah he made fun of us lets have a pity party and make fun of his appearence

Fuckin right....QFT

Pachuco
03-02-2009, 04:51 PM
He and Beckham are good friends and just last week spent two days training together. Don't think it's too far fetched for him to know the difference between the two to be honest.

I can't believe you are trying to argue that Rio was referring to winning the Supporter's Shield and not the MLS Cup. Come on dude. Your argument would suggest that he thinks winning the MLS Cup means something, or else, your argument is irrelevant. Sorry dude, I think this is one argument you should drop.

MUFC_Niagara
03-02-2009, 04:53 PM
I can't believe you are trying to argue that Rio was referring to winning the Supporter's Shield and not the MLS Cup. Come on dude. Your argument would suggest that he thinks winning the MLS Cup means something, or else, your argument is irrelevant. Sorry dude, I think this is one argument you should drop.

I think this whole thing should be dropped and everyone should stop their crying and realize that MLS is a shit league (the way its run, NOT talking about the quality).

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 04:53 PM

Winning either one, really isn't MUCH of a big deal in the footie world to be fair. That said, is it really far fetched for him to know the difference between the two being that he's a good friend of Beckham and recently they spent a decent amount of time together? Beckham could have quite easily dropped details on the league and it's workings if they were discussing his MLS career.

Pachuco
03-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Winning either one, really isn't MUCH of a big deal in the footie world to be fair. That said, is it really far fetched for him to know the difference between the two being that he's a good friend of Beckham and recently they spent a decent amount of time together? Beckham could have quite easily dropped details on the league and it's workings if they were discussing his MLS career.

No, it's not far fetched that he knows the difference. It's far fetched to believe he was referring to the Supporer's Shield in his statement. What would be the point of the statement then? for your argument to make any sense at all he would basically be saying, it means nothing to win the Supporter's Shield, but it means something to win the MLS Cup. Yet, I'm going to say Beckham should not have gone to the MLS because the Supporter's Shield means nothing. come on dude, think about what you are saying!

BC101
03-02-2009, 04:57 PM
LMFAO this thread still active... KC cant get here fast enough.

MUFC_Niagara
03-02-2009, 05:13 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=1355

Look at that and tell me that you seriously expect respected football people to take this league seriously. The 40 yard line has NOOOOOO business in the sport of 'soccer.' It only exists in the MLS! Oh, and when he said no one cares, generally....no one does...as evidenced by the empty stands.

noochie
03-02-2009, 06:12 PM
LMFAO this thread still active... KC cant get here fast enough.

This could apply to many active threads on here lately :)

The new season is so close yet so far, who cares what one man says regardless of whether or not it has any truth in it. This and other supporters groups in North America prove there is no totality to his statement by any stretch.

Torcida
03-02-2009, 06:21 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=1355

Look at that and tell me that you seriously expect respected football people to take this league seriously. The 40 yard line has NOOOOOO business in the sport of 'soccer.' It only exists in the MLS! Oh, and when he said no one cares, generally....no one does...as evidenced by the empty stands.
If TFC played at a (american) Football stadium would you go to the games? If no, then you are trying to champion two conflicting opinions which is really stupid..

BC101
03-02-2009, 06:54 PM
This could apply to many active threads on here lately :)

The new season is so close yet so far, who cares what one man says regardless of whether or not it has any truth in it. This and other supporters groups in North America prove there is no totality to his statement by any stretch.
What i dont understand is why things get all crazy? I mean isn't there other footy people could be watching that tides them over till TFC? I mean theres tons of other leagues pick one LOL. Instead they rather complain about what Rio's sayin about their league LMAO. Do yourselves a favor anyone who got mad over this... don't EVER read youtube comments like

thats why what? ur a fuking loser who supports a wank of a team shit support shit stadium shit team shit everythin. fuking glad im english from youtube about MLS and TFC LOL.

koryo
03-02-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm sorry, but I missed the part where what Rio Ferdinand says means anything in the first place.

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm sorry, but I missed the part where what Rio Ferdinand says means anything in the first place.

:rofl:

DRock
03-02-2009, 08:07 PM
"thats why what? ur a fuking loser who supports a wank of a team shit support shit stadium shit team shit everythin. fuking glad im english"

Spelt fuck wrong, haha, not very good at being English

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 08:08 PM
To get past filters most likely, there's plenty else to critique though. :lol:

Detroit_TFC
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Let's say in a parallel universe in 1996 MLS became huge, and now it's bigger than NFL, NBA, etc. In that parallel universe would Rio F be complaining that Becks went to the US only for the money?

king dave
03-02-2009, 09:57 PM
I would agree with RFs statement but it is based on the American sports template, which is how the MLS is marketing soccer and the only way to attract these people who want fast food, cheerleaders, half-time shows, contests, celebrities, scandals, bling and more bling.
I love having a 'football' team representing my town in a professional league.
That's what the game is about.
No bigger rush for me than going to another city south of the border in support of MY team.
Makes you understand how the rest of the world takes it so seriously.
As it should be.
KD.

Heathen
03-02-2009, 10:20 PM

I wouldn't expect becks to know anything at all about the play-offs, look who he plays for

AL-MO
03-02-2009, 10:23 PM
I would agree with RFs statement but it is based on the American sports template, which is how the MLS is marketing soccer and the only way to attract these people who want fast food, cheerleaders, half-time shows, contests, celebrities, scandals, bling and more bling.
I love having a 'football' team representing my town in a professional league.
That's what the game is about.
No bigger rush for me than going to another city south of the border in support of MY team.
Makes you understand how the rest of the world takes it so seriously.
As it should be.
KD.

Agree 100% KD. Going to DC was my baptism of sorts.

MUFC_Niagara
03-02-2009, 10:36 PM
If TFC played at a (american) Football stadium would you go to the games? If no, then you are trying to champion two conflicting opinions which is really stupid..

I would go, that point is that most of the other markets don't give a shit about MLS. It's not coflicting....build a soccer specific stadium with less seats and no throwball lines.

poppamidnight
03-03-2009, 12:03 AM
*Wipes the booger-Sugar from his nose*

"Oh Shite! drug Test Today... you dont say?"

Stugatzo
03-03-2009, 07:34 AM
Here's what Ferdinand has to say to MLS (and what he had to say to Liverpool supporters who were jeering his brother and West Ham at the 2006 FC Cup final where I shot this).

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/stugatzo/Picture056.jpg

Cuz
03-03-2009, 07:39 AM
This was probably posted by some Chelsea or Liverpool fan anyway. lol I agree with anything Rio has to say, even if he called me mum a twat! lmao

MUFC_Niagara
03-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Here's what Ferdinand has to say to MLS (and what he had to say to Liverpool supporters who were jeering his brother and West Ham at the 2006 FC Cup final where I shot this).

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/stugatzo/Picture056.jpg

LOL...well done, Rio!