PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Sunday, Mar.01.

denime
03-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Mornin'

No TFC News for now.

Legal experts back FIFA for 6+5 rule

BRUSSELS -- Efforts by FIFA to introduce national quotas for footballers playing for European club teams would not violate EU laws, according to a report drafted by legal experts released Thursday.

"There is no conflict with European law," said legal expert Juergen Gramke, after presenting his report to lawmakers at the European Parliament.

Read More (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/02/26/FIFA-Foreign-Play-0/)

FIFA boss Blatter: Football is at a crossroads

Sepp Blatter has launched a fresh diatribe against Premier League clubs' love of foreign players and warned that football is "at a crossroads".

The FIFA president claims his plans to introduce the '6+5' rule are gathering momentum and do not breach European law, and that action is needed to restore national identity to football.
Blatter, speaking after the International FA Board meeting in Belfast, said: "The four English teams in the Champions League this week had a total of nine English players - two in Liverpool, four in Chelsea, three in Manchester [United] and zero in Arsenal.

"Do you think that is the right thing? We are at a crossroads in FIFA.

Read More (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=623302&sec=global&cc=5901)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

COED (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/miss-coed/) :yum:

denime
03-01-2009, 08:10 AM
This 6+5 rule if implemented will push TFC to have more Canadians on the field,and that why I posted here and not in Int.forum.

sidvan
03-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Not sure if this will apply to Canadians and TFC. We play in an American domestic league. Would this mean we would have 6 American players? Any legal eagles out there to explain?

ensco
03-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Not sure if this will apply to Canadians and TFC. We play in an American domestic league. Would this mean we would have 6 American players? Any legal eagles out there to explain?

We would be a very rare special case for FIFA. The only other team in world football (that I know of) that is like us is Vaduz of Lichtenstein (playing in Switzerland, just this year promoted to their first division, the Super League). Vaduz also has only a couple of players from their national team.

redcard
03-01-2009, 08:29 AM
although TFC plays in a US league, i believe we are supposed to be fielding canadians as domestics, currently i think we have a deal that allows us to consider US players as domestic...i think this was when mo said there are not enough quality Canadian players.

on the the other hand if we have to field 6 Canadians do you think more of our players would return(from overseas) to play for either TFC or any other future Canadian MLS team?

sidvan
03-01-2009, 08:34 AM
on the the other hand if we have to field 6 Canadians do you think more of our players would return(from overseas) to play for either TFC or any other future Canadian MLS team?

I don't believe they would come back on their own. They might if they get pushed off a roster because of the 6 + 5 rule, but there are not enough out there to cause their team roster issues.

Waggy
03-01-2009, 08:40 AM
I for one would love to see this 6-5 rule implemented. It may be tough going for us for a few years, but it'd strengthen our Nat team greatly in the long run. Only so long as TFC is the only Canadian team though. I agree with Mo. There really aren't 12 Canadians who could play at all times in the MLS just yet. Give it 5 or 10 years though and I feel like we won't have that problem. The current rennesance of soccer HAS to be helping (I quit playing soccer when I was 13. Had TFC existed then, I can't imagine anyone from my team not continuing to the new leagues)

Also since I know you're all wondering, I did it! I didn't click the SSG link! And it feels GREAT. Well the Co-ed may have helped with that :rolleyes:

Bloor West FC
03-01-2009, 09:16 AM
I like the 6-5 rule!! Arsenal has zero foreign players!! wow. Now that is stupid!! I am sure England is not short of talent.

T_Mizz
03-01-2009, 09:22 AM
I don't like the 6+5 rule it's going to make the premiership weaker
^I think you mean zero domestic
PS Cardiff is another team that plays in a different country

Plenty of Trout
03-01-2009, 09:26 AM

What is wrong with the premiership being weakened?

Mark in Ottawa
03-01-2009, 09:54 AM
If all of the teams have to follow the same rules how can this make the league any weaker than it is now?

The big teams will continue to spend big, attract the best talent and win big. No real change.

rocker
03-01-2009, 10:16 AM
i wonder how this would affect MLS though, since MLS already has quotas in place, unlike just about every league in the world. Now, it's not starting lineup quotas, but the idea is similar in spirit.

jabbronies
03-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Setanta is free this month....ch 429.

flatpicker
03-01-2009, 10:24 AM
I wish my tv went above channel 99!

One of these days... I will own a modern system!

Sonny Cheeba
03-01-2009, 10:26 AM
me too.... but i get it free on veetle anyways.

Nazzer
03-01-2009, 10:41 AM
The 6+5 rule will weaken the national teams of poor countries, as well as developing spccer countries. Players from countries like Senegal, Congo etc will now only make it onto a top team if they are an absolute star, the depth players will be sent back to their home country to play as there will no longer be any room for them in the premiership and leagues like that.

The only way that Canada's MNT will benefit from this is if we get more soccer teams playing in the MLS and USL1. If this rules happens could we see just a handfull more than the 18 required Canadians on Van, TFC, Mtl playiing at a top level?

sidvan
03-01-2009, 10:53 AM
^I think you mean zero domestic
PS Cardiff is another team that plays in a different country

yes and if Cardiff had won the Cup last year they would not have been allowed into the Uefa cup with the automatic berth

Dub Narcotic
03-01-2009, 11:33 AM
I think the 6+5 rule is a disaster. I want to see the best football being played by the best players, and that's happening in the EPL right now. I don't see why so many people hate that so much, and there's going to be a lot of regrets as the quality of play take a nosedive in the big leagues as this rule comes into place.

jabbronies
03-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Fuad Ibrahim - He is born in Ethiopia. I thought he was an American International....??

rocker
03-01-2009, 11:45 AM
The 6+5 rule will weaken the national teams of poor countries, as well as developing spccer countries. Players from countries like Senegal, Congo etc will now only make it onto a top team if they are an absolute star, the depth players will be sent back to their home country to play as there will no longer be any room for them in the premiership and leagues like that.

what if those guys just spread out tho? rather than being all gobbled up by Premiership and other huge leagues, they don't return home, but come over to MLS or Mexico or something. A lot of those other leagues have space for them. Some of those south american and latin leagues are dominated by domestics already and could easily afford to take on some foreigners, if the foreigners want to come.

ExiledRed
03-01-2009, 12:00 PM
We would be a very rare special case for FIFA. The only other team in world football (that I know of) that is like us is Vaduz of Lichtenstein (playing in Switzerland, just this year promoted to their first division, the Super League). Vaduz also has only a couple of players from their national team.

Wellington Phoenix of New Zealand play in Australia's league.

There are also the welsh teams playing in the championship and other english divisions.

T_Mizz
03-01-2009, 12:22 PM
If all of the teams have to follow the same rules how can this make the league any weaker than it is now?

The big teams will continue to spend big, attract the best talent and win big. No real change.
The problem is that the best English players while being good, aren't necessarily as good as the best players from the rest of the world as a whole

Blizzard
03-01-2009, 12:34 PM
I wish my tv went above channel 99!

One of these days... I will own a modern system!

Stick a digital box on it and it will!

Pachuco
03-01-2009, 12:41 PM

Well, the USL is considered a professional league as well right? Meaning L'Impact and Whitecaps could fall under this rare case. That would be crazy if we have to compete with 2 other teams for a very small number of Canadian players who are worthy of playing professional.

Having said that, I'm all for the 6+5 rule. Watch out for the Argentina and Brazil league to climb to the top if this happens.

CretanBull
03-01-2009, 01:01 PM
The problem is that the best English players while being good, aren't necessarily as good as the best players from the rest of the world as a whole

The star foreign players will still be in England. The difference will be that they'll be spread around a little more...instead of 11 being on Arensal, 5 will be there and 5 will be in a place like Bolton. The major change will come in the form of depth players, they're all going to be English.

BuSaPuNk
03-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Just got to think about this 6+5 rule and the financials of it. There is no way the better international players will go to lowerend clubs for a dramatic paycut. There is no way a Bolton, West Brom, Stoke could afford a Tevez or Torres and such. Just doesn't work, and in the financial fuck fest were in now it might bankrupt some teams.

Super
03-01-2009, 02:06 PM
This will hurt the overall quality of the Premier League. I find that a shame. The Prem is bigger than just England now.

Imagine if we had to field 6 Canadians for TFC every game. Or more, depending on injuries of the 5 foreign players we'd be allowed. Thank God this doesn't apply to the MLS, or we'd have to beg Braz to come back so we can field a complete team.

devioustrevor
03-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Sepp Blatter can say what he wants, but this rule will never be implemented. The way it is currently written would contravene employment law in Canada. Also, the way it is written would make Man U players like Ryan Giggs and Darren Fletcher foreign players despite being British citizens. I very much doubt that the British Parliament is going to allow FIFA to start re-writing British Citizenship and Employment laws. If the rule can't be implemented in the English Premiership, it is dead in the water anyways.

denime
03-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Sepp Blatter can say what he wants, but this rule will never be implemented. The way it is currently written would contravene employment law in Canada. Also, the way it is written would make Man U players like Ryan Giggs and Darren Fletcher foreign players despite being British citizens. I very much doubt that the British Parliament is going to allow FIFA to start re-writing British Citizenship and Employment laws. If the rule can't be implemented in the English Premiership, it is dead in the water anyways.

I have to disagrre with you on this one,why?

Well last time I checked TFC must have at least 3 Canadians on the team,how is that different than having 5?

Another very important point from FIFA that is backed up by legal experts:

"There is no conflict with European law," said legal expert Juergen Gramke, after presenting his report to lawmakers at the European Parliament.

And this is where fIFA found the hole in the law:

Although teams would only be able to start with five foreign players under Blatter's proposed rule, there would be no limit on the number of foreign players under contract at a club.

You have to remember one thing FIFA is 3rd biggest financial institution in the world and $$$ rule.they get rid of big 14 clubs they willpull this one trough too.with the time of course.

bhoybobby
03-01-2009, 04:07 PM

There are also the welsh teams playing in the championship and other english divisions.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending upon your point of view, FIFA, uses precedent only when they see fit. so...............

JonO
03-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Another very important point from FIFA that is backed up by legal experts:

Legal experts tend to have differing opinions... ;) I'm certainly not familiar with European labour law, but an expert opinion is just that... an opinion...

ensco
03-01-2009, 04:22 PM

Right! Like I said. ;)

billyfly
03-01-2009, 08:54 PM
I just don't see this happening. There's too much money in this whole thing.

If this does happen then the TOP players will still find themselves in leagues like the EPL but the "evil empire" (depending what side you're on) will not dominate so much (?)

devioustrevor
03-01-2009, 11:29 PM
You have to remember one thing FIFA is 3rd biggest financial institution in the world and $$$ rule.they get rid of big 14 clubs they willpull this one trough too.with the time of course.

ExxonMobil is far bigger than FIFA. Do you honestly believe the EU, the USA, or even Canada are going to let them make their own laws in accordance to their own whims if they contravene sovereign laws?