PDA

View Full Version : Edu impresses in a rare start

Pachuco
03-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Walter Smith has backed Maurice Edu to be a major talent for Rangers after he impressed in a rare outing against Hamilton.
The United States international's appearances have been limited in his first season at Ibrox after arriving from Major League Soccer with high expectations and a price tag of £2.7million.
But he was given his chance at New Douglas Park when Pedro Mendes was sidelined with a thigh strain picked up in training and Edu made the most of the opportunity by striking up an impressive midfield partnership with skipper Barry Ferguson.

Read More here...

http://www.itv.com/Sport/Football/News/ScottishPremierLeague/Generalnews/Smith-backs-Edu-to-shine-667481762.html (http://www.itv.com/Sport/Football/News/ScottishPremierLeague/Generalnews/Smith-backs-Edu-to-shine-667481762.html)

pimpslapt
03-01-2009, 02:14 AM
go on maurice, make us proud

TFCREDNWHITE
03-01-2009, 12:14 PM
good on him!

Oblio2
03-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Meanwhile, in other news Andy Welsh dazzled in his 8-4 shift on the fry station at Mcdonalds in Grimsby

Keyman
03-01-2009, 12:23 PM
I hope he can succeed, but I just don't see it. He simply does not have the talent to play football at a high level in Europe.

Troll
03-01-2009, 12:29 PM
good thing he's with Rangers then, rite?

Red CB Toronto
03-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Meanwhile, in other news Andy Welsh dazzled in his 8-4 shift on the fry station at Mcdonalds in Grimsby

Please don't every say a bad word about Andy, when I was over Europe for five weeks earlier this month I had the opportunity to see Yeovil Town play at Leyton Orient and Andy played quite well, he he had a great crosser on the game winning goal in extra time.

After the game I had the chance to chat with him, we talked about the Reds and how much he liked it, he even said that leaving Toronto to play in the Championship was the worst mistake he mad, career wise. So lets always remember his great goal against Houston.

Keyman
03-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Even though Welsh may not have been the most talented player on the pitch, he was a scapegot. No doubt about it. The extent to which people bash him isn't fair in my opinion.

djking2
03-02-2009, 10:55 AM
In-form Hamilton were rarely a threat, much to the disappointment of a record 5,898 crowd for New Douglas Park.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/7913907.stm

Not so long ago I was playing in front of a couple of thousand people so it's a big difference but I'm getting used to it and enjoying it.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2009/03/02/i-m-lucky-to-have-barry-ferguson-and-pedro-mendes-as-mentors-says-rangers-star-maurice-edu-86908-21164850/

Wish him well but the ass-kisser has a pretty bad fuckin memory. If he meant college I wish he would have said so. It seems maybe now that he's in Europe he'll say whatever he thinks they want to hear.

billyfly
03-02-2009, 11:53 AM
^Holy Shit.

When he's sent back to MLS we'll have to remind him of this quote.

Blizzard
03-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Even though Welsh may not have been the most talented player on the pitch, he was a scapegot. No doubt about it. The extent to which people bash him isn't fair in my opinion.

Agreed! No he wasn't a superstar but he should be given credit for his work ethic at minimum.

It doesn't mean one has to like him as a player BUT he did his best and if you want to blame somebody for Welsh being here, don't blame Welsh.

tfcleeds
03-02-2009, 12:00 PM
^Holy Shit.

When he's sent back to MLS we'll have to remind him of this quote.

Yeah, it must be a real buzz playing in front of the massive crowds at Love Street and Fir Park...

ilikemusic
03-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Well, considering half his MLS games were played in front of 80% empty stadiums in the US he isnt exactly being dishonest.

rocker
03-02-2009, 03:32 PM
i assumed he was talking about his college days... like he skipped right over the TFC crowds memory for dramatic effect ;)

djking2
03-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Well, considering half his MLS games were played in front of 80% empty stadiums in the US he isnt exactly being dishonest.

Come on, given that he just played in front of less than 6000 people he's implying an average MLS crowd is smaller than that. Considering the support he had while he was here in Toronto you think he might have showed us little more respect than that. Besides a half empty MLS stadium has more than 6000 people in it anyway unless you're in Columbus. Where by the way, he played in front of more than a "couple thousand" away supporters. The more I think about it the more it pisses me off eh?

If he wanted to slag off on the MLS why didn't just tell 'em that the

Red Bulls are shite

TFCREDNWHITE
03-02-2009, 03:52 PM
In-form Hamilton were rarely a threat, much to the disappointment of a record 5,898 crowd for New Douglas Park.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/7913907.stm

Not so long ago I was playing in front of a couple of thousand people so it's a big difference but I'm getting used to it and enjoying it.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2009/03/02/i-m-lucky-to-have-barry-ferguson-and-pedro-mendes-as-mentors-says-rangers-star-maurice-edu-86908-21164850/

Wish him well but the ass-kisser has a pretty bad fuckin memory. If he meant college I wish he would have said so. It seems maybe now that he's in Europe he'll say whatever he thinks they want to hear.

WHAT THE!?

Maybe someone should let him know that isn't cool!!

http://www.mauriceedu.com/edu/index

Detroit_TFC
03-02-2009, 04:07 PM
There's no way that I read that as a reference to MLS. 3 years ago he was at school. Now if he had said "last year, blah blah" that would be a different story.

Dbl_D
03-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Agreed! No he wasn't a superstar but he should be given credit for his work ethic at minimum.

It doesn't mean one has to like him as a player BUT he did his best and if you want to blame somebody for Welsh being here, don't blame Welsh.

Andy couldn't make a cross even if the priest was holding his hand... ;)

Bender
03-02-2009, 05:41 PM

oh wow hah...

Cuz
03-03-2009, 09:01 AM
I miss both Andy and Mo. A couple of class acts there all the way! Too bad for andy that he is stuck in League 1. The boy can't score but at least he can pass! lol I can only hope that after Mo's performance against Hamilton that he will get to play more often!

Shaughno
03-03-2009, 09:02 AM

Hence why his only game headlines since he left have been crossing for goals, game winning from what I've read. :lol:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-03-2009, 09:04 AM
THe repeat of this game is on right now! SETANTA!! and the channel is free this month!

Cuz
03-03-2009, 09:08 AM
THe repeat of this game is on right now! SETANTA!! and the channel is free this month!

HAHAHA I WAS JUST ABOUT TO WRITE THAT!

CDNSoccerFan
03-03-2009, 09:08 AM
ya caught some of it this morning, saw Edu get a few touches in the couple minutes I watched

Dbl_D
03-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Hence why his only game headlines since he left have been crossing for goals, game winning from what I've read. :lol:

:noidea: must have been the bmo turf.. haha

Shaughno
03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
:lol: Seriously, apparently he's been 'racking up the assists'. :lol:

I_AM_CANADIAN
03-03-2009, 11:53 AM
djking: In some MLS cities, there are only a couple thousand. Take Columbus, for example. ;) And I'm sure he is talking about his college years, because 20,000 is a lot more than 6,000. I don't think he's that stupid.

billyfly
03-03-2009, 12:04 PM
No matter what we think he might have meant (College years etc), the people in Scotland reading it will think it meant TFC and MLS.

What I would have liked him to say was somethinglike "TFC fans always came out etc but the overall support in MLS doesnt equal the SPL..."