PDA

View Full Version : Vitti vs Montero

jloome
02-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Okay TFC fans, here's the tough question. Freddy Montero has been ripping it up for Seattle in preseason and looks like the real deal.

So who has the better shot at scoring 10 or 15 goals, our lad Pablo or the Pest from the West?

Nuvinho
02-28-2009, 12:43 AM
I would love to say Vitti, but he has only played 2 games so far in pre-season. I haven't seen much of him.

As for Montero, he is been tearing up the pre-season, and gaining rave reviews from everyone. Montero I think should get more goals, as a lot of people are saying he could be the next Angel???

loconet
02-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Pre season results are usually deceiving. Anything can happen when the real games start. The only time to know for sure is when the season is over.

Jack
02-28-2009, 12:45 AM
I hate to say it, but I think Montero's probably the better player.

I hope Vitti proves me wrong! Don't doubt that Vitti's the one I'll be singing for!

rocker
02-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Pre season results are usually deceiving. Anything can happen when the real games start. The only time to know for sure is when the season is over.

once the teams start playing the real games, and the scouting comes into play, Seattle better find a secondary option or Montero's gonna be shut down every week. TFC has other options if Vitti becomes a target of the opposition's game plans...

DVS
02-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Montero easily

Vitti will be enemy #1 for the whole RPB board

He'll be seeing pine for most the season

Keyman
02-28-2009, 01:15 AM
No idea, never seen either of them play.

jloome
02-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Montero easily

Vitti will be enemy #1 for the whole RPB board

He'll be seeing pine for most the season

Here's hoping you're wrong! I think MLS defenses are of a lower calibre than those he's generally faced in the past, plus we're not playing him in the hole, but as an out-and-out striker.

But Montero's looking awfully good already, apparently.

Dunkers
02-28-2009, 02:43 AM
Montero has won the gold boot in every other league he has played in, he will give landycakes and angel a challenge for most goals in the leauge, Vitti will unfortunatly be a tier behind

DOMIN8R
02-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Montero will be a big problem at our home opener. Unless he's injured early....of course.;)

Cue Rocky soundrack and overlap of of Balboa screaming" Adriaaaaan?".

Seriou(sly)x:p

T_Mizz
02-28-2009, 08:12 AM
I'd say Vitti not because of the talent he has but because of the talent he has around him. Barrett is an excellent strike partner to have as it seems he bags a ton of assists, also he's got three top class (MLS) attacking players behind him feeding him the ball.
Also isn't he 2 for 2?

jloome
02-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Maybe the more worrying question is how potent they're going to be uptop. Read on tribal football that he and Jacqua have 12 goals between them as a strike duo in 6 preseasons. I'm sure there's some weak defense to blame there as well, but they did trash Vancouver, 4-0, and both had a pair.

Nuvinho
02-28-2009, 08:37 AM
I am pretty suprised about the results so far. Vitti leading the way so far.

djking2
02-28-2009, 08:55 AM
I voted for Vitti because of the opportunities the squad around him will provide. Montero may be the better talent at this point but once the season starts Montero's gonna have defenses hanging off his shirt. I think he'll have great numbers for an expansion squad but I like Vitti's odds overall. I definitely don't think Seattle will break our goal drought record.

ensco
02-28-2009, 09:15 AM
They could both get off to slow starts.

They could both really be affected by the cold.

Vitti didn't do much in Ukraine. If I were Carver, no way I'd put Vitti out there against KC in the opener if the conditions are frigid.

Montero is the player you'd rather have, but without Ljungberg, where's the service coming from?

torontocelt
02-28-2009, 09:44 AM
I haven't a clue who is going to score more as I haven't seen either of them play. It is worth noting that Montero certainly looks to have the better record playing 57 competitive games and scoring 34 goals according to wiki. He is also a full Colombian international. Vitti on the other hand has played 100 competitive games and scored 14 goals although arguably he has played in the more difficult league.

Toronto FC have finished bottom of their conference the past two years now and records like that can get in the players minds. I would hate to see Toronto lose their first games of the season as it could have a massive effect mentally on the players. The Sounders on the other hand are the new boys and they will be buzzing. If you cannot get a home game for the start of your season then you would probably fancy playing a team that came bottom of their conference for the past two seasons as next best thing.

I think the first game of the season is going to be massive for both of these teams, hopefully Toronto will pick up the win. I do think however that the expectation level and overall hysteria surrounding Vitti could ultimately end up having a negative effect on the boy. Only the biggest optimist would consider an unproven player that they have never seen play more than a couple of games as a potential top scorer in the MLS. It is even more difficult for him as he will be playing for a team who have struggled badly in the past two seasons. If Vitti can get even ten goals in the MLS this season then his signing should be considered a success.

SoccMan
02-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Seattle will not be your typical expansion team. They have a proven coach who has won a few MLS Cups, and looking at their roster have some key players that can make a difference in this league. I like this signing of Montero a proven goal scorer back in his native country and he is young just like Vitti. It's hard to say who will have the better season but both look promising with potential.

Corpand
02-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Montero, hands down. If you just watch him play, you will understand. Cant compare Vitti though coz havent seen him play but trust me, Montero will be ripping this league a new one.

Steve
02-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Seattle will not be your typical expansion team. They have a proven coach who has won a few MLS Cups, and looking at their roster have some key players that can make a difference in this league. I like this signing of Montero a proven goal scorer back in his native country and he is young just like Vitti. It's hard to say who will have the better season but both look promising with potential.

Though I agree that Seattle MIGHT do well for an expansion side, I don't think it's as given as some people here think. A few key injuries and they are out. Plus, the players haven't really played together before, so you never know how the season will play out (maybe they just need to gel, maybe they are too predictable, maybe they have some key things missing they won't figure out until the season is underway).

As for the coach, I agree that Schmid is a great coach, but that doesn't make him magic. Think about it this way, Schmid joined the crew before the 2006 season. How did crew do that year? Last place overall. The next year? Second last in the east (ahead of only us) and 4th last overall (also ahead of LAG and RSL). So it took Schmid 3 years to get results out of the crew (for comparison, Crew took the supporter's shield in 2004, then finished 3rd last in the 2005 season). I don't know if it will be easier for him to build from scratch, or to rebuild a crew team just a year out of the SS, but I think those expecting an MLS cup for the sounders this year might be a little optimistic (though I may be made to eat those words come November)

Jeffro
02-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Montero, hands down. If you just watch him play, you will understand. Cant compare Vitti though coz havent seen him play but trust me, Montero will be ripping this league a new one.

Soooo, Montero is hands down better than Vitti, based on the fact that you've seen Montero play, and you haven't seen Vitti?

Absurd

LucaGol
02-28-2009, 12:42 PM
This is a silly thread.

1% of the ppl voting probably have the knowledge of both players to be able to choose between them.

Everyone else is just guessing based on hearsay.

Jeffro
02-28-2009, 12:42 PM

Seattle will be a typical expansion team, sure they have a few key players, and a decent coach, but seriously they have no depth. Having said that, definitely a good start for an expansion franchise.

Jeffro
02-28-2009, 12:43 PM
This is a silly thread.

1% of the ppl voting probably have the knowledge of both players to be able to choose between them.

QFT! I'll make a slightly more educated guess on April 4

gtaguy
02-28-2009, 12:46 PM
montero by far. The only sad thing is if he score often he won't be in the league next year. He will end up in europe just like all the good young talent does

Stryker
02-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Montero is the better player of the two and capable of turning the league on its head. Will the supporting players allow him to showcase his talents?
Hard to say. On paper Seattle looks to have a good team. A GREAT team when you consider they're an expansion squad. As for how well they'll gel together.. only time will tell.

MartinUtd
02-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Montero has won the gold boot in every other league he has played in, he will give landycakes and angel a challenge for most goals in the leauge, Vitti will unfortunatly be a tier behind

He's still only 21 though and never played outside Columbia. Not that age is an advantage to Vitti, but he has had experience adapting to another, more physical league in the past. Who's Montero partnered with anyway? Zakuani?

jloome
02-28-2009, 01:36 PM
No, Nate Jacqua, the former target forward for Houston who did a season in Europe. He's a good scorer too, very much in the Kenny Cooper mode, big and strong but with good touch.

There's video of Montero and Jacqua playing the Independiente reserves on their site. Montero looks very dangerous but it's deceptive; teams don't tend to play anywhere near the pressure on an individual dangerous opponent in friendlies like this than they would when it counts for something.

ensco
02-28-2009, 01:54 PM
No, Nate Jacqua, the former target forward for Houston who did a season in Europe. He's a good scorer too, very much in the Kenny Cooper mode, big and strong but with good touch.

There's video of Montero and Jacqua playing the Independiente reserves on their site. Montero looks very dangerous but it's deceptive; teams don't tend to play anywhere near the pressure on an individual dangerous opponent in friendlies like this than they would when it counts for something.

Jaqua is someone who has bounced around a lot for a young player. 4 teams in 2 years, not including us (we flipped him in our expansion draft).

Not a stiff, but he's not remotely in Kenny Cooper's class, whatever his mode is.

SanStarko
02-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Haven't really seen much of either player but I do have a feeling Vitti will end up with more goals at the end of the season. Not necessarily because he's the better player, but because I feel the guys tasked with setting up the chances for him are better than the guys doing the same job for Montero. Having the likes of DeRo, Guevara, Ricketts, etc setting up chances for you every game is a massive help.

rocker
02-28-2009, 03:10 PM
and he'll have Barrett hustling around with him... and occasionally he's have the Big Dich causing great trouble for him.

Remember in 2007 when Dichio kept causing defenses trouble and then flicking balls off to Cuntingham... I have a feeling Vitti would have been more successful at those one-on-ones with the keeper than Cunny. ;)

T_Mizz
02-28-2009, 03:40 PM
This is a silly thread.

Welcome to the RPB Forum;)
Welcome to the internet for that matter:D

billyfly
02-28-2009, 05:26 PM
As an eternal pessimistic I voted Montero. (but I really want Vitti)

BuSaPuNk
02-28-2009, 05:40 PM
I think Vitti will bag more goals. I haven't really seen much either player but just looking at what Vitti has beside and behind him I think he has a better chance.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-01-2009, 12:26 AM
He's still only 21 though and never played outside Colombia*. Not that age is an advantage to Vitti, but he has had experience adapting to another, more physical league in the past. Who's Montero partnered with anyway? Zakuani?

so what he has never played outside colombia? you honestly think the mls is close to the Colombian league?? its like when we say were close to div 3 .... you cannot compare 100 year old league with 10 year americanized soccer.... :hump:

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-01-2009, 01:50 AM
To echo MartinUtd’s point, I was wondering if the physicality of the MLS might suit Vitti more than Montero. Of course, maybe the Columbian league where Montero was playing is highly physical and it will be minimal adjustment for him.

Since no one else has purposed it, I say Vitti and Montero will score the same number of goals - 13 each.

rocker
03-01-2009, 10:02 AM
wow 13 eh?

i don't see either guy scoring 13. but who knows.
i think if we get 8-10 from Vitti that'll be great. I think the offense is gonna be spread around a lot on TFC this year... so more goals scored overall but greater distribution between players.

Montero? in any season, scoring 13 would put a guy near the top of the league in goal scoring. i'm not sure Seattle is gonna give him the help he needs to score goals... so he'll have to do it alone. I also think he'll face adjustment periods during the season.. where the travel wears him down (seattle has a particularly bad travel schedule, since they don't really have any teams close by), or the opposition focuses on stopping him, and he'll have to figure stuff out.

MartinUtd
03-01-2009, 12:24 PM
so what he has never played outside colombia? you honestly think the mls is close to the Colombian league?? its like when we say were close to div 3 .... you cannot compare 100 year old league with 10 year americanized soccer.... :hump:

Thats beside the point. Montero has never had to adapt to a different league before, plus he's on an expansion side filled out by unprotected MLS flunkies, college drafts and USL jobbers.

And where exactly do you rate MLS anyways? It's a given that we're behind the big three Latin American associations but beyond there I think credit is due.

Dunkers
03-01-2009, 02:12 PM
He's still only 21 though and never played outside Columbia. Not that age is an advantage to Vitti, but he has had experience adapting to another, more physical league in the past. Who's Montero partnered with anyway? Zakuani?

Montero is playng with Nate Jaqua, big possesion target man up front. Should be able to hold up the ball and dish is off to Montero

rocker
03-01-2009, 02:24 PM
and if Jacqua or Montero gets hurt? who's their third striker? the college kid?

so they have a journeyman left in the expansion draft twice, a foreign kid stud with no MLS experience and a college kid with no MLS experience.

MartinUtd
03-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Exactly! They also have Le Toux but I'm still not sold. The Sounders seem to be making the right moves, I just don't see them as a threat in their first year.

Montero will be a bright spot, but I'll be surprised if the team has the chemistry to afford any of their strikers a 10 goal season.

rocker
03-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Exactly! They also have Le Toux but I'm still not sold. The Sounders seem to be making the right moves, I just don't see them as a threat in their first year.

Montero will be a bright spot, but I'll be surprised if the team has the chemistry to afford any of their strikers a 10 goal season.

i think we've all learned from TFC about the importance of depth and chemistry. Seattle will have neither to start the season. no shame in that.. that's the nature of the expansion beast. i remember people praising San Jose last year and their 'amazing coach' after they went undefeated in the Charleston Cup. Then they finish last.....

Apparently Seattle picked up another leftover, Ely Allen, who the Galaxy dropped. No offense to Ely Allen, but when the Galaxy cut a player, he can't be that good.

cy43
03-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Sounders have Montero, Pretty Boy, Keller, & Le Toux, great. But that doesnt change the fact that their team is still made up of the other teams cast aways.

In relation to this thread... no idea, never really seen either one of them play so can't make a call.

Razcle
03-01-2009, 07:21 PM
^ I wouldn't say Nate Jaqua is a cast off from Houstan. He was left unprotected but maybe it was because of his salary and not because of his play. He was making $156,000 which may be more than Houstan wanted to hold onto considering he is not their first striker.

He was also born in Oregon and played youth soccer in Portland so maybe he asked to be put on the unprotected list for the opportunity to move back. Needless to say in the time I have seen him play he is a very servicable forward.

In relation to this thread. I can't wait to see both of them play but I will be banging for Vitti all the way.

TFCREDNWHITE
03-02-2009, 11:16 AM
This Montero kid is on an absolute Tear eh??

rocker
03-02-2009, 12:45 PM
^ I wouldn't say Nate Jaqua is a cast off from Houstan.

I'm still trying to figure out why Jacqua was released to two different expansion drafts (TFC's and Seattle's).

Is it always his salary? Is it that teams realize he's not worth the money?
To be released into expansion drafts twice in couple years is kinda fishy.

Shaughno
03-02-2009, 04:34 PM
"Too early to tell"

Gets my vote. ;)

jloome
03-02-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why Jacqua was released to two different expansion drafts (TFC's and Seattle's).

Is it always his salary? Is it that teams realize he's not worth the money?
To be released into expansion drafts twice in couple years is kinda fishy.

The first one was because they had to assign his rights, as he'd signed with a Euro club (austria, I believe, where he did well but was let go anyway.)

The second was at his request becuase he's from the pacific northwest; he asked, Houston obliged.

Bobo
06-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Just felt like bringing this out again. LOL

pepher
06-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Vitti!? Pablo Vitti!!!???

Marco2K
06-12-2009, 06:59 PM
this one is sad

eustacchio
06-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Just felt like bringing this out again. LOL

I was wondering what was going on. I wish I could have seen my face when I read the title of the thread.

rocker
06-12-2009, 08:00 PM
ha

altho Montero hasn't done as well as many people on this board said he would.. at least not yet (he could still get hot of course). I had him at 8-10 goals... he's on pace right now for 11.

K1nG
06-12-2009, 08:21 PM
there is a chance that Vitti may score a goal this year. statistically speaking that is.

Bobo
06-13-2009, 09:37 AM
there is a chance that Vitti may score a goal this year. statistically speaking that is.

He's on pace for.....

thinking......

calculating......

0!