PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie O to Portland Timbers?

Damien
02-27-2009, 04:31 PM
http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/02/outgoing-ronnie-obrien-to-portland.html

:lol::noidea:

During a talk with Portland radio last night (http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/02/audio-merritt-paulson-on-portland-radio.html), Portland Timbers owner Merritt Paulson mentioned that they would be announcing some player signings soon. One of which is certainly Steve Cronin formerly of the LA Galaxy and another is a left sided midfielder who played with the San Jose Earthquakes last season.

While we are still awaiting confirmation we've been told that it could very well be Ronnie O'Brien, as his Wikipedia page has him listed as a Portland Timber. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_O%27Brien) Ronnie played with San Jose last season before being released. Watch this space for more to come in the days ahead.

deschamp86
02-27-2009, 04:32 PM
What a dumb rumor.. Ronnie is a right sided midfielder

flatpicker
02-27-2009, 04:35 PM
They get their confirmation from Wikipedia?????

Damien
02-27-2009, 04:36 PM
If Ronnie ended up in the USL, he'd dominate... as much as we hate the guy, he is a decent midfielder.

Hitcho
02-27-2009, 04:38 PM
What a dumb rumor.. Ronnie is a right sided midfielder

and

They get their confirmation from Wikipedia?????

I think this says just about everything in relation to that story! :rolleyes:

ensco
02-27-2009, 07:03 PM
If Ronnie ended up in the USL, he'd dominate... as much as we hate the guy, he is a decent midfielder.

There are a vocal few, but I think most people on here don't hate the guy. He's still the best midfielder, in terms of performance for the team, in TFC history. Watch any highlight package from 2007 - he was involved in almost all of the goals

btw PGE Park in Portland is....wait for it......

turf!

I bet it's James Riley.

EDIT: I see Riley is still with the Sounders, for some reason I thought they had released him. Still think Riley makes more sense than ROB, because of the surface.

TorCanSoc
02-27-2009, 08:25 PM
That's crap. Ronnie's a quality midfielder. Unless Portland is paying him high MLS wages ($250,000 neighbourhood) then I would highly doubt he'd go to Portland. He'd make more money in some third div England tream than USL no?

jabbronies
02-27-2009, 08:31 PM
ya sucks for Ronnie. I had nothing against the guy.

But that just goes to show ya, either the calibre of MLS players is going up, or the USL is able to pay thier players better wages.

arbogast
02-27-2009, 09:10 PM
WTF. Portland installed Field Turf last season.

I can't believe he'd play on it again.

Marco2K
02-27-2009, 09:26 PM
That really sucks. to bad ronnie stiffed us.

I would easliy let ricketts walk to give Ronnie a spot.

I know alot of u Rickett lovers are going to hate that but come on. ROnnie is way better!

Billy the kid
02-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Ronnie is a great player. I can't believe the Quakes couldn't make it work with him even though he was willing to take a paycut. He and Huckerby really bolstered that midfield.

nascarguy
02-27-2009, 09:41 PM
i just i'll see him in hamilton sometime

Super
02-27-2009, 09:48 PM
As far as I heard Ronnie's wife didn't like Toronto and wanted to leave. And that's what happened. Also, I heard he wasn't happy here either. The whole turf was probably just an excuse.

Dirk Diggler
02-27-2009, 10:32 PM
That really sucks. to bad ronnie stiffed us.

I would easliy let ricketts walk to give Ronnie a spot.

I know alot of u Rickett lovers are going to hate that but come on. ROnnie is way better!

No question about it.

ua-kozak_TFC
02-27-2009, 10:35 PM
No question about it.
100% agree... IF he could play every game...

rocker
02-27-2009, 11:03 PM
But Ricketts is cheaper than Ronnie. Ronnie was very expensive.

ExiledRed
02-27-2009, 11:54 PM
I have his signature on the back of my first shirt. The one that says Toronto across the front. Alongside Dichio's and Brennan's. I met him ae the ex while he was injured and we weren't scoring, and I thought he was a straight up, witty guy, who was clearly frustrated that he wasnt able to be on the pitch and helping out the team.

He's an important part of our history and and alumni, and I think its a shame things didnt work out for him here.

ExiledRed
02-28-2009, 12:03 AM
But Ricketts is cheaper than Ronnie. Ronnie was very expensive.

But he's not worth what he was any more, he could definitely add to our squad depth. I'd take him back, not at the expense of Rickets though. Solid, adaptable players like Ronnie who can play in other positions, across midfield when needed are useful when you are forced to play with a lack of depth.

rocker
02-28-2009, 12:21 AM
ya, but i think the reason Ronnie left San Jose is he wanted what he was gettin before, or close to it. I have a feeling they wanted him at below 200K and he told them to fuck off.

Oblio2
02-28-2009, 12:29 AM
You would let RR go over Ronnie O?

Crazy talk....I'd keep Rohan every day of the week over O'Brien

ua-kozak_TFC
02-28-2009, 10:04 AM
I donno why... but i have a feeling that this is the last year of Rohan with us...Unless major improvement in his performance are made....

Marco2K
02-28-2009, 10:17 AM
You would let RR go over Ronnie O?

Crazy talk....I'd keep Rohan every day of the week over O'Brien

Crazy Talk. come on!!

ensco
02-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Ricketts at $212K (or maybe more) is an unaffordable luxury unless he makes a major impact. If he's not on a guaranteed deal, he will not make it to June unless he is producing.

I would take Ronnie O over RR at that salary, in a flash. No way that would happen, though.

TFC_Toon
02-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Magic

ensco
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
No ROB signing in Portland yet.

John Cumliffe released by the Quakes yesterday. Maybe he's the SJ midfielder going to Portland.