PDA

View Full Version : DC signs Dejan Jakovic from Red Star Belgrade

EdTheRed
02-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Per Steve Goff (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/02/dcu_signs_defender.html):

*D.C. United has paid a transfer fee to Red Star Belgrade for Canadian central defender Dejan Jakovic. He is 6 feet 2, 23 years old, born in Yugoslavia, left for Canada with his family at a young age, played at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, and was a regular with Canada's under-23 squad. He has one cap with the national team. He is scheduled to arrive next week, pending visa approval.
More info at the link.

TFCREDNWHITE
02-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Nice!! great info.

Is this kid gonna play for our National Team??

Pachuco
02-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Oh Oh, bring out the "Another Canadian lost thread" :)

NF-FC
02-27-2009, 03:04 PM

a Canadian CB to boot!

deschamp86
02-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Nice!! great info.

Is this kid gonna play for our National Team??

He already has a few times. Also a regular call up under Mitchell.

As a sidenote, what's with all these MLS teams so interested in Canadians now a days? lol

ccopela
02-27-2009, 03:40 PM
He already has a few times. Also a regular call up under Mitchell.

As a sidenote, what's with all these MLS teams so interested in Canadians now a days? lol

Last year there was an increase in the amount of foreign players each team could have. That and there is one team that they could potentially get more out of if they traded a Canadian player to that team. (TFC).

I've always been a fan of Jakovic but I'm surprised to hear their manager say he is going to be a starter. He really is just a college player with one year at Red Star where he didn't play that often. I hope he succeeds and plays well (except when playing TFC).

By my count that's now 3 teams that have at least brought a young Canadian in on trial, 4 if you count us with Kyle Hall. Rumours are that Dynamo are going to sign Hainault and that KOA may be looked at again in the summer when his contract runs out at Hertha Berlin.

deschamp86
02-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Last year there was an increase in the amount of foreign players each team could have. That and there is one team that they could potentially get more out of if they traded a Canadian player to that team. (TFC).

I've always been a fan of Jakovic but I'm surprised to hear their manager say he is going to be a starter. He really is just a college player with one year at Red Star where he didn't play that often. I hope he succeeds and plays well (except when playing TFC).

By my count that's now 3 teams that have at least brought a young Canadian in on trial, 4 if you count us with Kyle Hall. Rumours are that Dynamo are going to sign Hainault and that KOA may be looked at again in the summer when his contract runs out at Hertha Berlin.

Not to mention Will Beauge on trial at San Jose.

IIRC Jakovic started the first 5 or so games for Red Star and was relegated after that. They weren't playing great at the time, but you'd think there must be something more to it if a young guy like him wasn't getting any time at all.

Damien
02-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Another Canadian in the MLS aint a bad thing.

ccopela
02-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Not to mention Will Beauge on trial at San Jose.

Right. I think it's a long shot for him to make the team but good luck to him nonetheless.

sully
02-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Per Steve Goff (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/02/dcu_signs_defender.html):

*D.C. United has paid a transfer fee to Red Star Belgrade for Canadian central defender Dejan Jakovic. .
More info at the link.

a transfer fee.. that's a new one for an MLS club isn't it?

Keegan
02-27-2009, 03:52 PM
A Canadian CB signs for DC United when we need a CB more than anything.

THEY PAID A TRANSFER FEE FOR HIM TOO!!

He is good obviously going to be a great MLS defender if he was a starter for Red Star and anyone who watched the U23s knows how good he is.

Hainault to Houston, Jakovic to DC United, whats next? Edgar to New England? Ledgerwood to Galaxy?

ccopela
02-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Hainault to Houston, Jakovic to DC United, whats next? Edgar to New England? Ledgerwood to Galaxy?

or Jaime Peters? Andrew Ornoch? Players who have seen their European careers somewhat stalled at the moment.

Sidenote: Has anyone heard anything more about Tosaint Ricketts in Europe?

TFCREDNWHITE
02-27-2009, 04:06 PM

He is good obviously going to be a great MLS defender if he was a starter for Red Star and anyone who watched the U23s knows how good he is.

So True...So True

Razcle
02-27-2009, 04:10 PM

You also have to believe that more Canadian teams will be entering the MLS and if there are currently Canadians playing at an MLS level when the teams do enter, these players will be very valuable assets to their american teams as trade bait.

Remember when we brought in Braz, Reda and Poz thinking they could compete and be starters and were relegated to the bench. Canadians already playing in the MLS takes away the unknown factor of importing someone from another league.

AL-MO
02-27-2009, 04:12 PM
I remember seeing Dejan practicing with TFC (well I think it was a scrimmage against the reserves) last year.

Just talked to one of his buddies who thinks he is going to be playing in the Belgrade Derby tomorrow. (possibly as a sub)

Razcle
02-27-2009, 04:31 PM
I remember seeing Dejan practicing with TFC (well I think it was a scrimmage against the reserves) last year.

Just talked to one of his buddies who thinks he is going to be playing in the Belgrade Derby tomorrow. (possibly as a sub)

So he is not signed by DC yet?

Inklink
02-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Dammit Mo! :D

deschamp86
02-27-2009, 04:42 PM

His Facebook status says in Toronto tomorrow.

So.. I don't think he's going to be playing.

Either he's getting a connecting flight or something, or maybe Mo is going to swing a deal for him.:D

RedRum
02-27-2009, 04:55 PM
All these Canadian signings by MLS teams leaves me wondering if perhaps there are whispers around the league that both US and Canadians will count as domestics next year.

Nuvinho
02-27-2009, 04:56 PM

Either he's getting a connecting flight or something, or maybe Mo is going to swing a deal for him.:D

Edwards for Jakovic ???

Razcle
02-27-2009, 05:10 PM
How exactly did Stajen sign with DC if he is a product of an American university.....doesn't he go into a lottery or something?

deschamp86
02-27-2009, 05:17 PM
How exactly did Stajen sign with DC if he is a product of an American university.....doesn't he go into a lottery or something?

He left university before graduating I believe. I think that lottery may only be for American players. Kind of the same situation in how we picked up Rosenlund even though he was an NCAA product as well.

ccopela
02-27-2009, 05:41 PM

I'm pretty sure that rule only applies for Americans that are somehow involved in their National team set up. Johann Smith came to us in a lottery because he played for their U-20 team. Nobody drafted Dejan so no MLS team had his rights so they probably put in a discovery claim on him.

colman1860
02-27-2009, 05:49 PM

HEY! LEDGE IS STAYING AT 1860, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

S_D
02-27-2009, 06:31 PM
a transfer fee.. that's a new one for an MLS club isn't it?

nope. It has happened in the past. It just doesn't happen often.

AL-MO
02-27-2009, 06:37 PM
So he is not signed by DC yet?

This is just what I heard from a buddy. He may not have been told about the DC thing.

AL-MO
02-27-2009, 06:38 PM
He left university before graduating I believe. I think that lottery may only be for American players. Kind of the same situation in how we picked up Rosenlund even though he was an NCAA product as well.

He left UAB early for Red Star.

ensco
02-27-2009, 06:58 PM
All these Canadian signings by MLS teams leaves me wondering if perhaps there are whispers around the league that both US and Canadians will count as domestics next year.

I bet you're right.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-27-2009, 07:03 PM

Dont be surprised....if a deal down the road happens with DCU and TFC....that just might include JAKOVIC:drinking:

Ron Manager
02-27-2009, 07:42 PM
I find it a bit strange that, in an offseason where it is very public knowledge that we need CB's, not one, but two other clubs bring in Canadian CB's from Europe (assuming the Hainault to Houston thing pans out) Did both of these clubs file discoveries on these lads in the hopes of prying something from us and Mo didn't bite? Or are they going to be offered in trade in the future? I guess only time will tell.
One does wonder though, we keep hearing about a new back comeing, the discovery on Hainault was signed 2 months ago, yet no word of a signing yet. Could Mo be working on a deal?

rocker
02-27-2009, 07:48 PM
that's possible. I think TFC has perhaps raised awareness of Canadians as useful internationals. Or maybe TFC has legitimated MLS to the agents of Canadian internationals, who come calling on MLS teams. i'd like to hear how these deals came about and what the cost was.

they could definitely have done what TFC did with Richardson tho.. grab the player's rights and dangle for a deal.

hodgkiss
02-27-2009, 08:42 PM
after watching teh u-23's last year, i came away thinking about 3-4 players that could be part of the cmnt and perhaps future signings for tfc. they were ramalho, ricketts, hall and jakovic.

i was never a big fan of hainault but these guys looked quite good.

ricketts is still on trial in norway, ramalho is still in holland, hall is now with tfc and now jakovic is in DC! man this sucks!

jakovic is fantastic on the ball. he looked miles above the rest of the team and his patience and ability to stop/start and move the ball up the pitch with ease was fascinating. i thought he would have a good shot in europe and was excited to hear he was going to red star. he seemed quite excited as well when i spoke to him. but he would look much better in a tfc kit then dc. maybe we can pick him up if we deal off ibrahim or smith. he would be very worth it.

maybe we should be looking into trying to get ramalho out of holland? he could step in right away. such as the case with jakovic. i'm sure dasovic must have been pleading his case to mo to get him in here. maybe he wanted too much money?

deschamp86
02-27-2009, 08:45 PM
after watching teh u-23's last year, i came away thinking about 3-4 players that could be part of the cmnt and perhaps future signings for tfc. they were ramalho, ricketts, hall and jakovic.

i was never a big fan of hainault but these guys looked quite good.

ricketts is still on trial in norway, ramalho is still in holland, hall is now with tfc and now jakovic is in DC! man this sucks!

jakovic is fantastic on the ball. he looked miles above the rest of the team and his patience and ability to stop/start and move the ball up the pitch with ease was fascinating. i thought he would have a good shot in europe and was excited to hear he was going to red star. he seemed quite excited as well when i spoke to him. but he would look much better in a tfc kit then dc. maybe we can pick him up if we deal off ibrahim or smith. he would be very worth it.

maybe we should be looking into trying to get ramalho out of holland? he could step in right away. such as the case with jakovic. i'm sure dasovic must have been pleading his case to mo to get him in here. maybe he wanted too much money?

You're forgetting Will Johnson at RSL. He was great that tournament.

ensco
02-27-2009, 09:46 PM
that's possible. I think TFC has perhaps raised awareness of Canadians as useful internationals. Or maybe TFC has legitimated MLS to the agents of Canadian internationals, who come calling on MLS teams. i'd like to hear how these deals came about and what the cost was.

they could definitely have done what TFC did with Richardson tho.. grab the player's rights and dangle for a deal.

Given the quotes about Dejan being a starter, I doubt it. They wouldn't have said anything if they thought there was a chance they'd deal him.

Keegan
02-27-2009, 11:41 PM

Hainault? Johnson? Ornoch? Ledgerwood?

Ramalho, Ricketts and Hall will likely never be national team players. Ramalho is 22 and yet to make his pro debut.

Ledgerwood starts for 1860 Munich, Hainault has played for Sparta Prague, was on trial with Birmingham and now in Houston. Johnson started in the Dutch league last year and scored a couple, plus he was the MVP of the tournament and he didn't jump out to you? haha. Ornoch was excellent in this tournament I thought, his touch on the ball was a class above the rest of the players on both teams during matches.

Hall didn't even really play that much he was a sub mostly. Ramalho didn't start all games either as Kambere sometimes played over him.

Rosenlund, Ayre, Wagenaar and Hemming all had good tournaments I thought. Hainault underachieved but was still solid.

cougars732
02-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Mo will find a loop hole in the rule book
send a package of 2nd round pick 2010 + ibee

Jack
02-28-2009, 12:44 AM
While I understand the sentiment of wanting a CB and especially a Canadian one, we can't have EVERY Canadian in MLS on our team, guys.

There are plenty of potential reasons as to why this one went the way it did. I'm not going to bother to speculate on them here, but I think the payment of a transfer fee was probably something that Mo'd rather not do.

There will be other Canadians and Mo's working on deals for CBs. I'm still quite content with the way the offseason has gone so far.

werewolf
02-28-2009, 07:34 AM
Surely we can't have all the Canadians, but it seems we keep missing out on the young ones.

JonO
02-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Given the quotes about Dejan being a starter, I doubt it. They wouldn't have said anything if they thought there was a chance they'd deal him.
If you want to up his trade value, you talk up his importance to the team... "I can't trade him only for allocation - we were planning on starting him!"

Not saying it's true or not, just saying nothing's unlikely. Especially in this league, where Canadian talent is more valuable to us...

T_Mizz
02-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Well if there's one team that would deal with us its DC they lost their keeper and we have too many

denime
02-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Dejan is a talented player,and after Red Star fired the coach 5-6 games into the season he lost his spot in the 1st team.
He is not on the 27 Players roster licensed for spring part of the season,so he must be on his way to Toronto.
He was suppose to play 1 season in Belgrade and than try out in Europe,but with new coach he couldn't make the cut,and without exposure there was no way he would get chance there.

I don't get it why would DC pay $$ for him when he is free agent in 4 months?

BTW if someone wants to watch Belgrade derby today at 9:15am here is the link:

http://www.uzivotv.com/static.php?page=rts1

Don't expect big tifos today it's raining right now and the game is at Partizanareshit stadium.

ensco
02-28-2009, 09:22 AM
If you want to up his trade value, you talk up his importance to the team... "I can't trade him only for allocation - we were planning on starting him!"

Not saying it's true or not, just saying nothing's unlikely. Especially in this league, where Canadian talent is more valuable to us...

No I disagree. DC are too well run.

Doing that messes up your locker room. Teams don't often announce that unknown guys will be starters when they sign them, usually. Doing so has major knock on effects in the locker room. You have to think about that carefully, and mean it.

Pachuco
02-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Guys, WTF? we signed Dero and Serioux this off season. Probably the top two Canadians of guys we could realistically get. So why complain? Maybe Mo is bringing in a CB better then Hainault or Jakovic. Who cares if that CB is Canadian or not? The last thing I want is TFC to be Canadian only. Did you forget how shitty Canadian soccer has been since 1986?

DigzTFC!
02-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Seriously, do we need Jakovic? We have Nana and getting Dejan would mean stunting his growth. Its actually better for the CMNT that some Canadian players are at other clubs and starting.

For example:

Will Johnson - would be on the bench behind DeRo
KOA (pending), Jakovic, Hainault & Nana would be fighting for the same spot

These guys will be getting serious playing time at their respective clubs and we know that playing time is the biggest factor in development. With regards to the CMNT, if we get to see all these players play on a regular basis and they improve, we will be better for it as CB was our worst position in qualifying.

Luanda
02-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Guys, WTF? we signed Dero and Serioux this off season. Probably the top two Canadians of guys we could realistically get. So why complain? Maybe Mo is bringing in a CB better then Hainault or Jakovic. Who cares if that CB is Canadian or not? The last thing I want is TFC to be Canadian only. Did you forget how shitty Canadian soccer has been since 1986?

Yup and one does need to have Cdn talent spread around (as opposed to being concentrated in a single team) to assure best developmental results.

Jack
02-28-2009, 05:26 PM
+1

We've got some very good Canadian content on our team.

Let's concentrate on getting the best men for the job, regardless of their passports. DeRo was one of them and happily he's also Canadian, so double score there. Same with Serioux, filled a need and Canadian to boot. Both are also local boys, so that's another added bonus.

ensco
02-28-2009, 06:02 PM
+1

We've got some very good Canadian content on our team.

Let's concentrate on getting the best men for the job, regardless of their passports. DeRo was one of them and happily he's also Canadian, so double score there. Same with Serioux, filled a need and Canadian to boot. Both are also local boys, so that's another added bonus.

Well that's all true, but you have to admit, someone that DCU anoints as a starter, at CB, when we have a glaring need there...the fact the Dejan's young and Canadian means we should have a close eye on guys like this. The Nana comparison above is ridiculous, Dejan is the opening day starter for one of the best franchises in MLS.

Assuming DCU aren't making a blunder (they're pretty good at identifying young players, but not perfect), it sounds like Dejan sort of fits more into the DeRo/Serioux category, more than the Braz/Reda category.

But until we find out what the transfer fee was, there's not much to say. He may have cost a lot.

rocker
02-28-2009, 06:31 PM
the problem is if we had Dejan and Hainault we might soon be losing them to the national team as they gain notoriety at TFC and become regulars on the top squad (see: Wynne).
It's already dangerous having Serioux and De Ro and Brennan (altho Brennan looks out until they get a new coach). The prob has been reduced, but not eliminated, by MLS this season.

I think it's a situation where you want Serioux OR Hainault/Dejan not both (or any other such combination of players), given the national team implications. We've lost some nats (Marshall, Smith, James, Edu, Ruiz) but gained some too.

If TFC went out and signed Dejan, Hainault, Will Johnson, Kennedy O, we'd lose almost half of our team anytime there's a national game cuz we already have De Ro, Serioux, Gala, Nana, Brennan and Sutton.

I think if someone is a national team fan, they shouldn't want TFC loading up on all the Canadians. It means that 1 coach is attempting to develop all these players. It's much more preferable to see canadians scattered all over MLS, so they develop under a variety of coaches and styles.. they get more chances to be starters and get playing time.

RedRum
02-28-2009, 07:00 PM
I bet you're right.

Well if I am, it's also a safe bet MLS is going to accept Montreal's bid - can't see them changing the status quo if there was still to be only one Canadian team in the league.

Keegan
03-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Seriously, do we need Jakovic? We have Nana and getting Dejan would mean stunting his growth. Its actually better for the CMNT that some Canadian players are at other clubs and starting.

For example:

Will Johnson - would be on the bench behind DeRo
KOA (pending), Jakovic, Hainault & Nana would be fighting for the same spot

These guys will be getting serious playing time at their respective clubs and we know that playing time is the biggest factor in development. With regards to the CMNT, if we get to see all these players play on a regular basis and they improve, we will be better for it as CB was our worst position in qualifying.

I doubt it. Will Johnson would probably just play another position he can play anywhere from midfield to striker.

But I agree it is great that Canucks are taking up roster spots around the league! For Canada and TFC also!

Keegan
03-01-2009, 02:06 PM

Canada soccer is the best it's ever been at the moment in terms of fans, player quality and teams.

That is like saying. Did you forget how shitty the English national team has been? Fuck signing Wayne Rooney! :rolleyes:

J .
03-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Serioux and Nana could very well be our starting pair for a few years to come. Nana is going to be a good cb in this league and Harmse showed potential last season as a capable backup.

greatwhitenorf
03-03-2009, 09:31 AM
If Canadians are to be counted as MLS domestic players, does that suggest something about the immediate prospects for MLS expansion in Canada? More than one team?

Shaughno
03-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Dejan is a talented player,and after Red Star fired the coach 5-6 games into the season he lost his spot in the 1st team.
He is not on the 27 Players roster licensed for spring part of the season,so he must be on his way to Toronto.
He was suppose to play 1 season in Belgrade and than try out in Europe,but with new coach he couldn't make the cut,and without exposure there was no way he would get chance there.

I don't get it why would DC pay $$ for him when he is free agent in 4 months?

BTW if someone wants to watch Belgrade derby today at 9:15am here is the link:

http://www.uzivotv.com/static.php?page=rts1

Don't expect big tifos today it's raining right now and the game is at Partizanareshit stadium.

Good info there Denis, love the ending. :lol:

Yohan
03-03-2009, 09:54 AM
If Canadians are to be counted as MLS domestic players, does that suggest something about the immediate prospects for MLS expansion in Canada? More than one team?
MLS is a Yank league. We're intruders in a Yank domestic league. Let's not forget that (and USSF pulling strings about some changes in MLS, with CSA having no saying at all)

denime
03-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Good info there Denis, love the ending. :lol:

Fuckers tied the game in 96 minute :(

Watch Tifo from that game it starts 40 second into the video for few minutes,ending with flares of course.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZMIJgClixOU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZMIJgClixOU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fa9itAZ8kRE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fa9itAZ8kRE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>