PDA

View Full Version : MLS:Getting Things Right Where It Counts

Oldtimer
02-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Getting Things Right Where It Counts

Despite the economic concerns, Major League Soccer appears in a good position to weather the storm and Soccer 365’s Richard Snowden points out how MLS’ decision to grow slowly is now paying off.

By Richard Snowden

As with virtually anything else under the sun, there are a lot of different things one could say about Major League Soccer, some of them complimentary, some not so much.
As America's latest grand experiment with the world's game gears up for its 14th season, there is still much that needs improvement. TV ratings remain stubbornly poor; many domestic fans of the sport (natives and immigrants alike) continue to ignore the league; the caliber of play is still too often less than compelling. And so it goes for our fledgling first-division circuit.
Much of the time, analysis of MLS focuses on things the league could do better, or that the brass seem to be getting wrong. But at the end of the day, it should also be noted that, whatever its shortcomings, the league is getting the most important things right.

http://soccer365.com/features/story_23209222412.php

This article argues that the inherent cheapness of MLS is it's greatest asset.

flatpicker
02-26-2009, 12:39 PM
decent read.

Can't say I learned anything new in that article.

Certainly, many of the things that fans complain about (low salary cap, revenue sharing etc.) are what keeps this league afloat during these hard times.

JonO
02-26-2009, 12:39 PM
http://soccer365.com/features/story_23209222412.php

This article argues that the inherent cheapness of MLS is it's greatest asset.
To be fair, he argues that it's one of their assets...

gtaguy
02-26-2009, 07:03 PM
I think this year the mls has done an outstanding job in aquiring better players . I think the proof is in the pudding when you see how the mls clubs are knocking the pants off some mexican teams, european teams ,asian teams and latin american teams during their spring training..

jloome
02-26-2009, 07:10 PM
This article is ridiculous. We know so little about MLS's bottom line that speculating on whether ticket face is going to have a major economic impact on league viability during a recession is a waste of time. Again, this is a league where the LA Galaxy reported a miniscule profit of under $1 million in a season when they self-admittedly sold 250,000 David Beckham jerseys. A league where Toronto's gate, alone, would account for a third of its alleged $2.1M profit.

Not much point debating how effective its financial plans are if we've never seen them, and I guarantee you the clown that wrote this hasn't. He might as well have written one graf: "During a recession, things that cost less are more popular!"

gtaguy
02-26-2009, 07:26 PM
This article is ridiculous. We know so little about MLS's bottom line that speculating on whether ticket face is going to have a major economic impact on league viability during a recession is a waste of time. Again, this is a league where the LA Galaxy reported a miniscule profit of under $1 million in a season when they self-admittedly sold 250,000 David Beckham jerseys. A league where Toronto's gate, alone, would account for a third of its alleged $2.1M profit.

Not much point debating how effective its financial plans are if we've never seen them, and I guarantee you the clown that wrote this hasn't. He might as well have written one graf: "During a recession, things that cost less are more popular!"

I agree with you.. If the financial downturn had not happened would the mls business practise still be considered effective..

flatpicker
02-26-2009, 07:40 PM
I agree with you.. If the financial downturn had not happened would the mls business practise still be considered effective..

you could say "what if" about anything!

the fact is... it's working out.

BleedRed
02-26-2009, 08:33 PM
"During a recession, things that cost less are more popular!"

LMAO!!!!

gtaguy
02-26-2009, 10:05 PM
If i was to ask why the mls asks for 40 mil would somebody in this board know why...???