PDA

View Full Version : Rapids deal for Richardson

Nuvinho
02-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Jackie Chan traded:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/02/rapids-deal-for-richardson.html

The Colorado Rapids have spent a good portion of the off-season trying to find another forward to complement strikers Conor Casey and Omar Cummings and the Rapids may have finally found their man.
The Rapids struck a deal with Toronto FC, sending an undisclosed 2010 draft pick (believed to be in the first two rounds) to Toronto in exchange for the rights to Guyanese forward Gregory Richardson, sources with knowledge of the deal told SBI on Thursday. Richardson had been on trial with Toronto FC, which held the top Discovery Claim on the him, but TFC ultimately decided to deal the MLS rights to Richardson to the Rapids.
A striker who most recently played for Trinidad & Tobago club Joe Public, Richardson first rose to prominence in MLS circles when he scored an impressive hat-trick against New England in Joe Public's 4-0 CONCACAF Champions League win (http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4335) at Gillette Stadium last September. His combination of speed and skill had a long list of teams interested in his services, but Toronto ultimately landed his rights and dealt them to the Rapids after choosing not to keep him following an extended trial.
There is no word yet on whether Richardson has agreed to a contract with the Rapids, but the fact that a deal was completed suggests that a deal has either already been reached, or should be reached soon.
What do you think of Colorado landing Richardson? Can he help a Rapids team that many experts are pegging to miss the playoffs in 2009? Surprised that Toronto didn't keep him?
Share your thoughts below.

Ageroo
02-26-2009, 09:01 AM
well we have alot of scoring options up front, but I would have liked to see what he could have done for us....

Nodoubtguy
02-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Love it......we have lots of scoring upfront, so now we essentially get back a pick that we lost for Serioux (if this is a 1st rounder)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-26-2009, 09:02 AM
well we have alot of scoring options up front, but I would have liked to see what he could have done for us....

Would'nt of said that last season.....;)...but you are correct!

werewolf
02-26-2009, 09:05 AM
allocation might have been nicer.

Alarius
02-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Agreed on allocation. Hope he doesn't come back and nip us in the behind..

Chevy
02-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Maybe we can flip that pick to someone else and get another defender in return?

Nuvinho
02-26-2009, 09:10 AM
I bet its based on games played, 2nd round if he doesn't hit a certain number of games, 1st round if he does.

Remember, we don't have any picks in the 1st 2 rounds next year.

Nodoubtguy
02-26-2009, 09:10 AM
allocation might have been nicer.

Agreed on allocation. Hope he doesn't come back and nip us in the behind..

Allocation would have been good, but this is really something for nothing. No way we would have signed him when we need a CB, so I'll take a free pick. Mo is always great at the draft, so this may be worth more the 50k in allocation.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-26-2009, 09:12 AM
im cool with it, id like to have seem Imehelu or whatever his name is come to us instead but thats prob a bit unrealistic
im glad for Jackie Chan tho, dude seemed to really want it

Damien
02-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Might as well re-coup a draft pick for him since we're overloaded on offence... we need room for some D.

Yohan
02-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Mo does it again.

Turns turd into something worth having

BuSaPuNk
02-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Can't complain with this, we have so much depth up front. Traded away a non roster player for a pick. MoJo does it again!!

deltox
02-26-2009, 09:32 AM
FC dallas has our 1st and 2nd round draft picks in the 2010 draft.\

and you know that mo likes to have good picks.

this makes sense.....now we can have the picks back...and we if finish better than the rapids (which we should) then we will have better picks than when we started!

Luanda
02-26-2009, 09:35 AM
So there goes an apparent heir to one of the few spots left on the TFC roster. What is the implication (short-term) of this trade? Who will be added to the team before the season opens?

Pachuco
02-26-2009, 09:38 AM
It always puzzles me how we can trade someone in this league who we haven't even signed.

werewolf
02-26-2009, 09:40 AM
^ he was like a restricted free agent, or an unsigned draft pick.

deltox
02-26-2009, 09:40 AM
like huckerby and mcbride?

Pachuco
02-26-2009, 09:41 AM
^ he was like a restricted free agent, or an unsigned draft pick.

Not really, we didn't draft the guy and he's never signed with us. We just put our hand up and said "I discover this guy, so he's mine".

werewolf
02-26-2009, 09:42 AM
just another MLS phenomenon...

Shaughno
02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Should have tried working on a deal for Ugo Ihemelu IMO anyway.

James Oliphant
02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Love it......we have lots of scoring upfront, so now we essentially get back a pick that we lost for Serioux (if this is a 1st rounder)

No way it's a first round pick. This isn't Brian McBride. Honestly, I'd be impressed if it was a second round pick.

Nodoubtguy
02-26-2009, 09:49 AM
No way it's a first round pick. This isn't Brian McBride. Honestly, I'd be impressed if it was a second round pick.

Well even a free 2nd round pick is great, but like someone mentioned before I'd assume its probably based on the number of games Richardson plays.

James Oliphant
02-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Yeah...either way, it's something for nothing. We were never going to sign Richardson once the Vitti loan deal came through.

Steve
02-26-2009, 10:03 AM
It always puzzles me how we can trade someone in this league who we haven't even signed.

The discovery system is in place because of the single entity structure of MLS. Since the player essentially has a contract with MLS (and not with the teams) they are actually negotiating with MLS itself, which means teams can't outbid one another. This means that, even before someone is signed, teams need to be able to call dibs in some way on who is going to be able to talk to this player and offer them a contract. Hence, the system we have in place.

I do agree the name can be confusing though (especially if you're calling discovery on a player that's a household name, you didn't really "discover" them, did you?). Perhaps we should just call it "dibs". "Today, Toronto called dibs on Richardson".

rocker
02-26-2009, 10:24 AM
I bet its based on games played, 2nd round if he doesn't hit a certain number of games, 1st round if he does.

Remember, we don't have any picks in the 1st 2 rounds next year.

ya, I'm sure it's this if Ives is expressing that it could be either 1st or 2nd.
conditionals have happened in MLS before.
If Richardson goes on to play 25 games and be a competant player, he's certainly worth a first round pick in 2010.

Oldtimer
02-26-2009, 10:44 AM
"Jackie Chan" Richardson is a good enough player, but at best he would have only been a backup for us, Vitti and Barrett and Dichio are all better all-round players. Plus his playing style is too much like RR. We only need one player of that style on the pitch at any one time.

Mikey
02-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Richardson plays like it's his last day on earth, every game. This will come back to bite us on the ass......:hump:

TorontoBlades
02-26-2009, 11:29 AM
and more importantly, this keeps open another roster spot..

based on this transaction, we may have ended up simply having to cut Jackie because of roster spots available....not we have a future asset at least - a great move IMO

jloome
02-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Should have tried working on a deal for Ugo Ihemelu IMO anyway.

Probably did.

This was probably Mo's intention from Vitti signing on. It was clear at that point, with five strikers, that if we signed Richardson he would be a bench/reserve winger at best. But there would have been multiple teams interested after the CL last year, so Mo hangs onto him until he can get something back.

Given that it's Colorado and just a pick, I imagine it wasn't them approaching us; so it stands to reason that we were looking for something else from them.

jloome
02-26-2009, 11:56 AM
The question is whether Mo settled for draft pick, instead of a player in return, because he already has someone lined up.

The other possibility is that he couldn't see Richardson eventually fitting under the cap and had to move him.

Shway
02-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Richardson plays like it's his last day on earth, every game. This will come back to bite us on the ass......:hump:

I TOTATTLY AGREE
i personally from the get go said we shouldve signed him, because yes we do have Vitti, and Barret. But now heres my dilemma

Say Vitti does outstanding this season,we have to remember he's on loan, so if his opportunity to leave is there he's gone hes ON LOAN!

Danny Dichio LEGEND! but are we not forgetting its his last season?

Obrian White, is injured, who knows if hes going to get back to the way he was or played, he is quiet a gamble, although he is great on paper.

Fuad Ibrahim, is a great PROSPECT but I personally dont think hes ready to be a solid striking option until hes atleast 20.

We couldve had 3 TOP striking options, all with the same type of style of play.

This is not going to bite us, but this is going to gobble the shit out of ass's!!!:noidea:

and for a DRAFT PICK! :eek:

Lucky Strike
02-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Would have been interested in seeing what he had to offer, but realistically, we didn't really have the space for him. A 2nd rounder (at minimum) is good business for someone who we called dibs on. It's too bad he couldn't stay, he had one hell of a good attitude. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt us.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-26-2009, 12:13 PM
I TOTATTLY AGREE
i personally from the get go said we shouldve signed him, because yes we do have Vitti, and Barret. But now heres my dilemma

Say Vitti does outstanding this season,we have to remember he's on loan, so if his opportunity to leave is there he's gone hes ON LOAN!

MLS only allows for loans if they have the option to buy, as a result IF he does well, hes as good as ours (more or less)

Ossington Mental Youth
02-26-2009, 12:14 PM
I think youre overreacting a bit for a player that has a soso record from what we know.
Im sure we made out just fine.
I dont think he would have hurt our team but i dont think losing him was the end of days

Shway
02-26-2009, 12:16 PM
my friend, if someone has a soso record, that would mean the TFC Backup strikers are that to (excluding DD)

im just saying we would have Vitti, Barret, Richardson - it wouldnt hurt
unless there is a DP comming in then okay, but in now saying that Mo always has a plan so who knows

Im just saying he wouldve been a great addition

Shway
02-26-2009, 12:18 PM
MLS only allows for loans if they have the option to buy, as a result IF he does well, hes as good as ours (more or less)

How could we be so sure that Vitti will stay?:noidea:

Ossington Mental Youth
02-26-2009, 12:18 PM
yep, like i said, i dont think he would have hurt and i do for the record agree with you on Ibbe and Dichio. I think however for this season we are fine (watch me jinx it, fuck i hope not) and we really really need to focus on our defense which i suspect is the situation. Like someone else pointed out we also have Hall who was a striker (granted in the NCAA)

Ossington Mental Youth
02-26-2009, 12:19 PM

we cant but chances are if he scores alot and becomes a fan favorite (which he will if he scores alot HA) he will enjoy the atmosphere and want to stay with the team

I mean europe comes calling but itll prob take two seasons before that happens or one hell of one season, even then theres nothing you can do about that and thats a whole other story.

rocker
02-26-2009, 12:20 PM
I TOTATTLY AGREE

Danny Dichio LEGEND! but are we not forgetting its his last season?

Obrian White, is injured, who knows if hes going to get back to the way he was or played, he is quiet a gamble, although he is great on paper.

Fuad Ibrahim, is a great PROSPECT but I personally dont think hes ready to be a solid striking option until hes atleast 20.

We couldve had 3 TOP striking options, all with the same type of style of play.

This is not going to bite us, but this is going to gobble the shit out of ass's!!!:noidea:

and for a DRAFT PICK! :eek:

that`s MLS my friend. You could probably go down the list of every MLS team and make similar evaluations of guys.

Nobody has 3-4 solid, proven, guaranteed, non-injured, prime-of-the-career strikers just ready to roll. :)

Regarding the Vitti loan thing -- I`d like to know what the buying amount is. I`d also like to know the history of loans in MLS. Have teams actually called back loaned players that often when they do well in MLS... I`ve seen guys on loan who were shitty and just sent back... but not too many good players who get called home (anyone help me on this).

Richardson is 26 years old now and hasn`t been playing at the highest levels. He had 3 goals last season in the TnT league (two guys on his team had totals in the teens). He`s probably a project.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-26-2009, 12:21 PM
We cant be sure of anything, its all a gamble, i just dont think this is a gamble we will lose out on, Dude scored a hattrick in a game against NE then scored nothing for the rest of the season (i think he had 3 goals all season) in a league thats lower than ours...

Stryker
02-26-2009, 12:48 PM
As I understand it we have 2 senior spots left.
We have Hall, Garcia, some guy with a weird name from africa who I can never remember and a new CB coming soon.
Roster numbers and salary cap have to be in order by monday according league rules.
Richardson obviously wasen't better than some of the above named players so he had to go.

If all out effort and heart made for good players than I could be a TFC legend.
Unfortunately my skills, like Richardsons, just don't make the grade.

flatpicker
02-26-2009, 01:01 PM
If all out effort and heart made for good players than I could be a TFC legend.
Unfortunately my skills, like Richardsons, just don't make the grade.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vEGOTWwd14M&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vEGOTWwd14M&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Stryker
02-26-2009, 01:10 PM
^^^ One of 14 children?

http://houseforkim.com/blog/images/motivate15-1.jpg

Damien
02-26-2009, 02:29 PM
You could always get a few players into camp, sign discovery claims on them, rave about how good they are, then trade them to other teams knowing full well your rosters pretty much set without them.

Could be a freebee pick for us, whereas if he trialed elsewhere we would have gotten jack shit.

jloome
02-26-2009, 05:02 PM

When MLS does an loan with an option to buy, the purchase details are agreed before the loan. So it's not up to Vitti, as long as he's still under contract at Independiente. He could only leave on a free if he was out of contract, and there's no suggestion that's the case.

If he refused MLS's contact offer, he'd go back to Independiente, at worst, and MLS would be out its transfer fee -- assuming FIFA didn't force him to take the move. But under this scenario, we can't technically lose him to Europe.

Captain Croatia
02-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Our current strikers would be ahead of him anyways i think.

Bring the allocation/draft picks and we can pick up another good defender.

Mo is on fire!

Shway
02-26-2009, 06:48 PM
yea Paoblo Vitti, and Barret....thats it

dantdot
02-26-2009, 07:30 PM
yea Paoblo Vitti, and Barret....thats it

You're awfully high on a guy who hasn't scored in the preseason and had one good game vs NE, besides DeRo can play up there too, that's 3 serviceable forwards without talking about Dichio, Ibrahim and eventually White.

Pachuco
02-26-2009, 08:04 PM
my friend, if someone has a soso record, that would mean the TFC Backup strikers are that to (excluding DD)

im just saying we would have Vitti, Barret, Richardson - it wouldnt hurt
unless there is a DP comming in then okay, but in now saying that Mo always has a plan so who knows

Im just saying he wouldve been a great addition

Unless you followed Joe Public and you are telling me his stats don't represent his skill, I have no idea how you can make such a statement.

jloome
02-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Unless you followed Joe Public and you are telling me his stats don't represent his skill, I have no idea how you can make such a statement.

I believe Richardson had eight in 32, or something like that, for Joe Public, along with four in Champ League. So 12 goals in about 36 games, mostly at a very low professional level.

That's about equivalent to scoring 10 or 12 in the USL.

rocker
02-26-2009, 09:36 PM
where`d you get those numbers Jloome.. I saw 3 goals for Richardson on the TnT pro league site. then he had 5 in champions league.. so 8 goals total.

Pachuco
02-26-2009, 09:46 PM
I believe Richardson had eight in 32, or something like that, for Joe Public, along with four in Champ League. So 12 goals in about 36 games, mostly at a very low professional level.

That's about equivalent to scoring 10 or 12 in the USL.

He had 3 goals in the TnT league with Joe Public last year. Those to me are terrible numbers for a striker. So as I said, unless someone has watched him at Joe Public and can tell me his stats don't do him justice, then I don't see how anyone can say this guy would've been a great addition.

http://www.ttproleague.com/cms/LeagueChampionship/Goalscorers/tabid/68/Default.aspx (http://www.ttproleague.com/cms/LeagueChampionship/Goalscorers/tabid/68/Default.aspx)

Shakes McQueen
02-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Richardson is pretty good, but he is surplus to our needs. So basically, we got something for nothing.

Ives is reporting that the draft pick was rumoured to be in the first two rounds - my guess, as with others apparently, is that the draft pick is conditional.

- Scott

jloome
02-26-2009, 11:37 PM
where`d you get those numbers Jloome.. I saw 3 goals for Richardson on the TnT pro league site. then he had 5 in champions league.. so 8 goals total.

Hah, my bad. Going by memory of the eight being domestic.

noochie
02-27-2009, 12:26 AM

MLS is broken ;)