PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday’s News,Thursday,Feb.26-Warning-Content Impact news

denime
02-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Mornin'

Sorry,no TFC news for now.
Impact news are all over the net,here are some of them.

Big Montreal crowd takes in winter soccer

MONTREAL — The pitcher's mound is long gone, now part of a soccer field.
Five years after the Montreal Expos left town, Olympic Stadium filled up Wednesday night, a big change for the mostly idle and mostly problematic home of the 1976 Summer Olympics.
A near-capacity crowd of 55,571 took in a CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal game, a 2-0 win for the Montreal Impact of the United Soccer League over Mexican club Santos Laguna.

Another quarterfinal in Houston on Tuesday night drew just more than 10,000 fans for a 1-1 tie between the Houston Dynamo of Major League Soccer and Atlante FC of Mexico.Read More (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/soccer/6281527.html)

Impact have upper hand

MONTREAL — So does this mean professional soccer is now officially a winter sport in Canada? Legions of raucous fans turned out to cheer the Montreal Impact to a comprehensive 2-0 triumph against Mexican side Santos Laguna in the first leg of their CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final at a packed Olympic Stadium last night.
The atmosphere was charged with the din of 55,571 people filling the aging stadium — the teams played on a synthetic surface that's a leftover from the under-20 World Cup in 2007 — for the first midwinter pro soccer fixture to be held in Montreal.
"The support we had in the stands was unbelievable … everybody wants to make it seem like this is a hockey nation. This is not a hockey nation, this is a soccer nation," said midfielder Sandro Grande, who played a key role in the win.
http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20090225/wsptimpact25/impact500.jpg

Read More (http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090225.wsptimpact25/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Impact shut out Santos in CONCACAF Champions League

Eduardo Sebrango scored twice as the Montreal Impact shut out Santos Laguna of Mexico 2-0 in the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions League quarter-finals at Olympic Stadium on Wednesday night. "They have one foot in the semifinals of the CONCACAF Champions League," CBC Sports broadcaster Nigel Reed said as the final whistle sounded.

Read More (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/02/25/sp-concacaf-santos-impact.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

COED (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/miss-coed/)

Plenty of Trout
02-26-2009, 07:20 AM
This Impact run is amazing.

CMSL
02-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Keep Up The Good Work Montreal Impact, Make Us Proud

drewski
02-26-2009, 07:30 AM
I'm so torn. Being a Toronto fan I've grown up hating all Montreal teams, but on the other hand its good to see a Canadian team doing well :o

werewolf
02-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Local keeper gets dream shot in Scotland

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/593273

Daniel Girard
Sports Reporter

For as long as he can remember, Lucas Birnstingl has wanted to be a professional soccer player.
Now, less than two weeks after turning 19, he's getting his chance.
Birnstingl, a 6-foot-4, 190-pound goalkeeper from Oakville, arrived yesterday in Scotland, where he's signed a three-month contract with First Division Dundee FC.
"I've been working to do this my whole life," Birnstingl said before leaving. "It's finally happening.
"It's such a great feeling."
Birnstingl, who graduated from Oakville's Iroquois Ridge High School in June, spent two weeks in Scotland earlier in February trying out for Dundee, which sits in third place in the league standings.

Shaughno
02-26-2009, 08:13 AM
^^ Nice, good to see we're producing some decent quality keepers. Hopefully he does well at Dundee.

scooter
02-26-2009, 08:19 AM
mornin all

ensco
02-26-2009, 08:23 AM
We'll never see that here.

If that game had been TFC v Santos at Skydome in the Concacaf quarterfinals, do you think MLSE would have priced it at $10-35 a ticket (ie in such a way that they could get a sellout)?

NFW, in my opinion.

Bender
02-26-2009, 08:24 AM
hate montreal, but definitely nice to see them doing well in champions league... best of luck the rest of the way.

Shaughno
02-26-2009, 08:25 AM
^^ Probably not, but at the same time, Saputo wasn't expecting half that crowd and was pricing it to try and meet his goal of 30k.

Difference being, MLSE would price it knowing full well people WILL pay.

rocker
02-26-2009, 08:27 AM
fuck the impact

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-26-2009, 08:27 AM
wow!

Another quarterfinal in Houston on Tuesday night drew just more than 10,000 fans for a 1-1 tie between the Houston Dynamo of Major League Soccer and Atlante FC of Mexico.

thats just awful!

Oldtimer
02-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Montreal was just so impressive.

Despite the Toronto-Montreal rivalry one had to be impressed. They played better than most MLS teams and you could see that they really wanted to win. Even Braz played better than he ever did for TFC. It was almost like seeing a different player.

Limniatis' strategy was brilliant. He is clearly one of the best Canadian coaches around.

Mrs. Workie
02-26-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm so torn. Being a Toronto fan I've grown up hating all Montreal teams, but on the other hand its good to see a Canadian team doing well :o

I don't understand why people feel the need to support Montreal in this. I hate them. My team's no longer in this tournament, so I couldn't give a fuck. Fuck Montreal. I don't care how well they're doing, They're still the Impact. I'm not going to support a team that for the remaining 364 days a year I dispise.

werewolf
02-26-2009, 08:40 AM
I don't understand why people feel the need to support Montreal in this. I hate them. My team's no long in this tournament, so I couldn't give a fuck. Fuck Montreal. I don't care how well they're doing, They're still the Impact. I'm not going to support a team that for the remaining 364 days a year I dispise.

:cheers:

You are supposed to support them so they can get a small article in the paper and 20 seconds on sportsnet! :rolleyes:

Mrs. Workie
02-26-2009, 08:46 AM
:cheers:

You are supposed to support them so they can get a small article in the paper and 20 seconds on sportsnet! :rolleyes:

I'd rather save that energy for TFC.

drewski
02-26-2009, 08:49 AM
I don't understand why people feel the need to support Montreal in this.

simple really, I'm a patriotic Canadian and as such I like to Canadians show well on the international stage regardless of who they are.

that being said, the other part I mentioned wholeheartedly agree's with you :thumbsup:

Mrs. Workie
02-26-2009, 08:50 AM
simple really, I'm a patriotic Canadian and as such I like to Canadians show well on the international stage regardless of who they are.

We have Men's and Women's National teams for that. ;)

drewski
02-26-2009, 08:58 AM
We have Men's and Women's National teams for that. ;)

too bad they aren't the only Canadian team left in this year's CL

werewolf
02-26-2009, 08:59 AM
but its a good thing they aren't our rivals...

drewski
02-26-2009, 09:15 AM
enough the selective reading :rolleyes:

I said agree with you, the fan side of me doesn't wanna see them win anythign cause they are our rivals. geez.

werewolf
02-26-2009, 09:17 AM
I was speaking in general terms, not just to you, I was being unselective :)

Eastend
02-26-2009, 09:18 AM
I don't understand why people feel the need to support Montreal in this. I hate them. My team's no longer in this tournament, so I couldn't give a fuck. Fuck Montreal. I don't care how well they're doing, They're still the Impact. I'm not going to support a team that for the remaining 364 days a year I dispise.

I am glad Montreal won. The reason being is that we are trying to make a name for ourselves in this sport and ANY success a Canadian team has is a good thing. Would I have preferred it be TFC, of course, but our boys didn't bring it when needed so this is where we are. Montreal played well last night and deserved the win.

JonO
02-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Agreed - I don't understand the "Canadian" angle either. It's not the nat's, it's the Montreal Impact. It's not so much that I hate them, it's that I don't give a rats ass

Waggy
02-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Oh dear god. Is the SSG PRE-op?! I just almost lost my breakfast. Jesus do I have to stop hitting that link.

BFin
02-26-2009, 09:27 AM
I think people are missing the point here.
People are saying that 'you have to respect what Montreal has done'....'it's very impressive what Montreal has done in the champions league'.

That in no way implies support of them, it is merely being impressed in the same way a bicycle kick off a header in the box for the win in an MLS cup would impress us all. Give it up, we understand you love TFC and you hate the Impact, but denying that what they have done with that team is impressive, is ignorance.

Mrs. Workie
02-26-2009, 09:28 AM
I am glad Montreal won. The reason being is that we are trying to make a name for ourselves in this sport and ANY success a Canadian team has is a good thing. Would I have preferred it be TFC, of course, but our boys didn't bring it when needed so this is where we are. Montreal played well last night and deserved the win.

Let me ask you this...

Did the success of the Maple Leafs, Habs, Sens, or any other Canadian NHL team have ANY positive affect on the Winnipeg Jets?

Or should I say Phoenix...

I'm sorry, I don't buy that.

BFin
02-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Let me ask you this...

Did the success of the Maple Leafs, Habs, Sens, or any other Canadian NHL team have ANY positive affect on the Winnipeg Jets?

Only one of the three teams mentioned ever won a stanley cup during the winnipeg jets tenure in the NHL. This point is moot.
Also, it is being argued from the wrong perspective. Tough economic times are not a product of the play of other Canadian teams. The proper argument would have been, did the Montreal Canadiens winning the Stanley Cup in 1993 advance CANADIAN hockey? The answer would probably be yes. It probably inspired a lot of young Canadian goalies to be like Patrick Roy, or Kirk Muller.

Mrs. Workie
02-26-2009, 09:31 AM
That in no way implies support of them, it is merely being impressed in the same way a bicycle kick off a header in the box for the win in an MLS cup would impress us all. Give it up, we understand you love TFC and you hate the Impact, but denying that what they have done with that team is impressive, is ignorance.

<----- Ignorant.

Like I said before, I don't care how well they're doing. My team's no longer in the tournament, so I don't care.

werewolf
02-26-2009, 09:33 AM
I think people are missing the point here.
People are saying that 'you have to respect what Montreal has done'....'it's very impressive what Montreal has done in the champions league'.

How is it any more impressive then Puerto Rico?

What exactly are we supposed to "give up", not wishing our rivals well??

rocker
how about some actual TFC news in the TFC/MLS news section rather than this Limp Act crap? :)

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/02/rapids-deal-for-richardson.html

BFin
You obviously do care as you have posted more in this thread, largely related to the Impacts success in this tourney, than anyone else.

BFin
02-26-2009, 09:34 AM
How is it any more impressive then Puerto Rico?

What exactly are we supposed to "give up", not wishing our rivals well??
No, give up attacking others for being impressed by it.
Hate all you want. Just don't hate on fellow supporters for giving some measure of respect to an underdog.

Mrs. Workie
02-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Only one of the three teams mentioned ever won a stanley cup during the winnipeg jets tenure in the NHL. This point is moot.
Also, it is being argued from the wrong perspective. Tough economic times are not a product of the play of other Canadian teams. The proper argument would have been, did the Montreal Canadiens winning the Stanley Cup in 1993 advance CANADIAN hockey? The answer would probably be yes. It probably inspired a lot of young Canadian goalies to be like Patrick Roy, or Kirk Muller.

Like I said, I don't buy it. Winning has nothing to do with advancing the sport really. How many kids wanted to be like Mats Sundin (when he was with the Leafs), dispite how bad the Leafs were doing?

Regardless, this is about football. We can agruge back and forth until we're both blue in the face, but Montreal doing well in CL, has little to no effect on Football in Canada. IMO.

werewolf
02-26-2009, 09:39 AM
No. I am not going to stop attacking them, I am going to track down their ip addresses and bring my baseball bat!

Questioning why one would wish our rivals well and prosperity is not exactly an attack. Though it would be warranted given this is a Toronto FC supporters forum.

redcard
lawyers say blatters 6+5 rule will not violate EU labour laws.

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=268735&lid=sublink01&lpos=headlines_main

Mrs. Workie
You obviously do care as you have posted more in this thread, largely related to the Impacts success in this tourney, than anyone else.

No, I was stating my opinion on it. But I really like how you know me better than myself ;)

No, give up attacking others for being impressed by it.
Hate all you want. Just don't hate on fellow supporters for giving some measure of respect to an underdog.

Attack? Where was the attack? again, see above.

BFin
02-26-2009, 09:42 AM
No. I am not going to stop attacking them, I am going to track down their ip addresses and bring my baseball bat!

Questioning why one would wish our rivals well and prosperity is not exactly an attack. Though it would be warranted given this is a Toronto FC supporters forum.
To the first part: hahah hunting down all on comers in the interwebz. I like it.

To the Second part: That's my point. Outside of maybe one or two people on here no one is saying they love the Impact. The majority (not all) are merely saying how impressive it is what they are doing. Showing a sign of respect for a previous accomplishment in no way implies a desire to see them do well in the future. I just think something saying "fuck the impact" instead of "you're such an idiot, how could you cheer for the fucking impact. They are our rivals, why would you cheer for them??" is a much more effective way to let us know you hate them, without the name calling and bickering like we always do.

werewolf
02-26-2009, 09:44 AM
The better they do, the more rewards they (and they only) will reap. From a Toronto FC supporters point of view, that is not desirable.

TorCanSoc
02-26-2009, 09:45 AM
I was a Lynx, Whitecaps and Impact fan long before I was a TFC fan. I never really felt any prestige in winning an A-League title. I just wanted to watch a Canadian'ish game of football. After a while I grew to love those teams too. Some of us old timers can't hate something we've enjoyed for over a decade.

From a beaten down crack addict to the rest of the world.... and an old CDN soccer fan to the TFC faithful..... "Can't we all just get along?"

:)

Detroit_TFC
02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
From a business standpoint, Saputo was smart to price low for quantity attendance rather than the quick buck from an expensive ticket price. I'm sure they see it as part of marketing the upcoming season. I doubt we or anyone else would have as much to say about that match if 15,000 people attended.

BFin
02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Last Post as it's time to work so I can get out of here early...(I will probably be back on as the allure of the RPB board is much greater than that of the Marketing world)...BUT...the attacks are not necessarily telling someone they are an idiot, it's the fact that 5 people bombard you with criticism everytime you even state some degree of acknowledgement to the job Montreal has done.

I respect your right to say fuck the impact, AS I will myself when we play them. That being said, no one has started a 2 page thread about you saying fuck the impact, so just leave it alone if someone wants to say, good job impact.

Like I said before, a simple "fuck the impact" tells everyone you hate them, without the long diatribes that will no doubt result from this conversation.

Have a great day all!!

jabbronies
02-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Regardless, this is about football. We can agruge back and forth until we're both blue in the face, but Montreal doing well in CL, has little to no effect on Football in Canada. IMO.

I agree with you on this point. However, once TFC makes it into this position, we'll see if we have the same atittude.

deltox
02-26-2009, 09:51 AM
while i appreciate what yesterdays game did for the sport in Canada (bringing attention), i do not support the impact. they are the enemy.

i support TFC.

if TFC fails, i support no one.
i dismiss the "my team fails so ill support the next CDN team" idea.

"i support the leafs...if they dont make the playoffs.....ill support the flames" ridiculous

Technorgasm
02-26-2009, 09:52 AM
fuck the impact

YA.
Canadian, ca-shmadiene. . . .fuck the Impact.

Sue, I guess I can be glad they are a Canadian franchise.. but the sooner their run is over the better. . .

No love for them here.

TIK TAK. . .

TorCanSoc
Oh no! Everyone's blog fighting! It must be serious! :boxing:

:D:D:D

Mrs. Workie
I agree with you on this point. However, once TFC makes it into this position, we'll see if we have the same atittude.

How would it be any different?

jabbronies
02-26-2009, 09:53 AM
...the attacks are not necessarily telling someone they are an idiot, it's the fact that 5 people bombard you with criticism everytime you even state some degree of acknowledgement to the job Montreal has done.

You should expect to be bombarded with criticism when praising a team that our supporters got into a fight with.

Mrs. Workie
02-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Oh no! Everyone's blog fighting! It must be serious! :boxing:

:D:D:D

Dude, didn't you know? The internets are serious business!!

And I love how people debating something turns into "internet fighting". I miss the days when you could have a good debate with someone.

jabbronies
02-26-2009, 09:55 AM
How would it be any different?

I'm sure if TFC were in the Impacts position right now, we'd all (majority of the the peple on this board) be saying how great this is for Canadian Soccer.

I've seen that phrase (TFC is great for CDN Soccer, TFC is the saviour of CDn soccer..etc etc) sooo many times on this board without a single person questioning it.

Eastend
02-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Let me ask you this...

<----- Ignorant.

Like I said before, I don't care how well they're doing. My team's no longer in the tournament, so I don't care.

Hockey had been established in this country for a long time and can't really be used as a comparison....football as a sport has struggled here and I think any success is good....it sucks it's not our team but it is what it....that's all.

JonO
02-26-2009, 09:58 AM
lawyers say blatters 6+5 rule will not violate EU labour laws.

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=268735&lid=sublink01&lpos=headlines_main
Interesting - but it will be an uphill struggle. Can you imagine if we had to field 6 Canadians?? :eek:

JonO
02-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Hockey had been established in this country for a long time and can't really be used as a comparison....football as a sport has struggled here and I think any success is good....it sucks it's not our team but it is what it....that's all.
Their success will mean little for the game in Canada because outside of those who already care, it will go unnoticed.

werewolf
02-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Interesting - but it will be an uphill struggle. Can you imagine if we had to field 6 Canadians?? :eek:

Sutton
Brennan
Harmse
Serioux
DeRo

Don't think we would suffer that much be adding Gala or Nana, and that is today, without warning of a rule change.

Long way to go though, I imagine it would be tested in Europe for a few seasons before FIFA would think of expanding the rule.

Mrs. Workie
02-26-2009, 10:01 AM

Football has struggled on a professional basis in Canada. It is still a popular sport (I beleive more kids play football than minor hockey), and in large culturally diverse cities, Football is still huge, and always has been.

James Oliphant
02-26-2009, 10:02 AM
^^ Nice, good to see we're producing some decent quality keepers.

That's because we don't produce quality defenders, and it all falls on the keepers' shoulders. ;)

Eastend
02-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Football has struggled on a professional basis in Canada. It is still a popular sport (I beleive more kids play football than minor hockey), and in large culturally diverse cities, Football is still huge, and always has been.

I believe you are correct and I agree. :)

denime
02-26-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm sure if TFC were in the Impacts position right now, we'd all (majority of the the peple on this board) be saying how great this is for Canadian Soccer.

I've seen that phrase (TFC is great for CDN Soccer, TFC is the saviour of CDn soccer..etc etc) sooo many times on this board without a single person questioning it.

True,and in the same time we should hope Impact will win champions league and open the door for second Canadian team.
Just because we signed few players doesn't mean we will win this year,having said that having two Canadian teams would give us a shot for champions league in case we screw up again.
Whoever thinks we will walk trough and win V's cup,wake up. it's not going to be easy at all,Montreal is not naive team they know how to play as a team.

Montreal success help Canadian soccer point.

JonO
02-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Sutton
Brennan
Harmse
Serioux
DeRo

Don't think we would suffer that much be adding Gala or Nana, and that is today, without warning of a rule change.

If we had to field 6, we'd need more than that in case one took a knock. Then imagine adding Montreal/Vancouver to the league.

The problem is, there aren't that many players to add at this level.

denime
02-26-2009, 10:10 AM

You are absolutely right,now how Montreal success doesn't help professional soccer in Canada?

JonO
02-26-2009, 10:12 AM

I'm under no illusion that TFC is great for Canadian soccer in general. I do believe that it is a positive force for Canadian soccer in the Southern Ontario region...

Steve
02-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Like I said, I don't buy it. Winning has nothing to do with advancing the sport really. How many kids wanted to be like Mats Sundin (when he was with the Leafs), dispite how bad the Leafs were doing?

I'm not sure I agree. For one thing, people were complaining that Canada got a spot in the CCL. By MTL going as far as they have, those complaints should be quited somewhat.

For another, they got 55k out for a game! The fact is, most of those people have probably never been to an impact game before. If they enjoyed it (and it was an enjoyable game) they might come back this season. If the Impact start pulling in high attendence numbers, they will be making more money which, as a non-profit, must go back into the club itself. This means Montreal could have a great academy. A top notch academy would train young Canadian players, and increase the quality of our national team. Our national team doing better will help it get into the world cup, which will increase interest in Canadian soccer across canada. All of this is good for Canadian soccer in general.

Pigfynn
02-26-2009, 10:13 AM
I think a lot of you would feel a lot better and that you were doing the "right thing" if you just went over to the Montreal message boards and congratulated all those donkeys eh? Go on! do it...you may like it over there.

PS: Half the people in those stands last night don't give a shit what this does for Canadian soccer...maybe Quebec soccer but not Canadian soccer.

Mrs. Workie
02-26-2009, 10:16 AM
You are absolutely right,now how Montreal success doesn't help professional soccer in Canada?

It's my opinion. I just don't believe the success of local teams will help the overall sport that much nationally. Success of our NATIONAL teams will help. Again, My opinion. I may be wrong, but I'm not changing my mind.

I think a lot of you would feel a lot better and that you were doing the "right thing" if you just went over to the Montreal message boards and congratulated all those donkeys eh? Go on! do it...you may like it over there.

BLASPHEMY!!!! :p

Mrs. Workie
02-26-2009, 10:17 AM
PS: Half the people in those stands last night don't give a shit what this does for Canadian soccer...maybe Quebec soccer but not Candadian soccer.

Bingo.

How may were there supporting the other team?

gtaguy
02-26-2009, 10:19 AM
As long as were not competing directly with montreal i see no reason for rivalry. They are in we are out.
They won thier chance to represent canada last year and are making the most of it. My congratulations to the impact for all the positives in yesterdays match..

But don't forget that this years is another animal and coming into our house is not going to be the same like last year..

S_D
02-26-2009, 10:23 AM

Agreed. I think though that the Impact winning will have more of an impact on the sport in Quebec rather than nation wide. Still great for Canada though.

Quebec puts a lot of resources towards their sports as it raises their recognition nationally and internationally. If we look at what many consider fringe sports winning titles in sports such as MMA (GSP), Judo (Gill), and to an extent CFL, success has seen massive increased enrollment and funds in Quebec. Even F1 with Villeneuve (RIP) raised the profile of the F1 circut and led to an increase in Canadian drivers in the different levels of racing that we see today.

Don Julio
02-26-2009, 10:24 AM
As a Leaf fan would I cheer for the Habs in the playoffs? Fuck no.
As a Man City fan would I cheer for United in the Champions League? Fuck no.
You guys are fucked. Montreal is the enemy. We do compete with them directly. To wish them anything but harm and misfortune is unthinkable.

Pigfynn
02-26-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm getting the feeling that some of you stayed behind at BMO to applaud the Impact when they won the Voyageurs Cup!

Honestly, Is it a byproduct of the participation ribbon generation where it has to be an "everybody wins" situation all the time?

Pathetic.

denime
02-26-2009, 10:37 AM
You guys are fucked. Montreal is the enemy. We do compete with them directly. To wish them anything but harm and misfortune is unthinkable.

Do we have history of 50 years plus with Impact?
NO

To compare those rivalry with TFC v Impact is just stupid,sorry but it is.

Maybe I'm fucked,but you are M.Leafs and M.City fan I prefer being fucked. ;)

reggie
02-26-2009, 10:38 AM
did tfc get another CD yet...do we still have a team here.
really people montreal well coached team,but how many players on montreal can play for tfc.

S_D
02-26-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm getting the feeling that some of you stayed behind at BMO to applaud the Impact when they won the Voyageurs Cup!

Honestly, Is it a byproduct of the participation ribbon generation where it has to be an "everybody wins" situation all the time?

Pathetic.

Some of us were Canadian soccer fans long before the MLS existed ;). I guess some of us like seeing a Canadian club do well. If it brings up the participation in the sport and eventually leads to a deeper CMNT pool I am all for it.

Razcle
02-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I'd rather save that energy for TFC.

Then why are you on here whining and wasting your energy bashing the Impact, this tournment has nothing to do with TFC. It would be easier if you just allowed the people that want to be happy about this, have their little space to be happy.

I could care less if you feel the need to hate them because they are the enemy or if you are proud of them because they are a Canadian based team. However spending your energy being a hater does not translate into support for TFC ATM.

Fuck L'Impact!

Don Julio
02-26-2009, 10:49 AM
NO

Toronto, as a city, has a hell of a lot more than 50 years of rivalry history with Montreal. If their 3rd graders were playing our 3rd graders at marbles there's a built in rivalry. It's a natural rivalry which will always exist in any sport, activity or even craft the two cities participate in.

I have to think that anti-Toronto sentiment helped sell those 55,000 tickets last night. I'm sure they've heard enough about BMO field and our waiting list for tickets.

They don't have "Canada" written across the bottom of their shirts.

And yeah, I could have probably chosen easier teams to love.

Mojo
02-26-2009, 10:51 AM

Part of me wants them to lose so we can do better than them next year, and part of me wants them to win so that when we beat them in CCL it looks better for us :)

flatpicker
02-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the read folks.
I almost chimed in with my opinion on this whole "do I wish Montreal well" scenario.

But I've been here before, and I am tired of it.

I think all of you should simply say "we have different opinions on the matter, and that's that"

Mojo
02-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Also, anyone have pictures of what the stands looked like? I missed the game (didn't care enough about New France to remember), but I'd like to see how the stadium looked with all those people in it.

Steve
02-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the read folks.
I almost chimed in with my opinion on this whole "do I wish Montreal well" scenario.

But I've been here before, and I am tired of it.

I think all of you should simply say "we have different opinions on the matter, and that's that"

Haha, the next time I click on my link to the RPB forums, I expect to see, across my screen, the message "We have different opinions on the matter, and that's that". Congrats, you've solved the internet!

Razcle
MLS Pre-season: Red Bulls down River Plate reserves, 2-1 (http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/02/mls-preseason-red-bulls-down-river-plate-reserves-21.html)

(http://www.soccerbyives.net/.a/6a00e54ef2975b88330112790ed28a28a4-pi)
A first-half goal from Dane Richards off a Khano Smith cross, and a second-half strike by Andrew Boyens helped the New York Red Bulls down the River Plate reserves, 2-1, in a pre-season friendly in Argentina on Thursday morning.
http://www.soccerbyives.typepad.com/

Oldtimer

As a Man Utd fan, I've cheered for Hull as the underdog at the start of the EPL season (except when they were playing us). Mind you, I'm not threatened by Hull. Maybe one reason for the venom against MTL is that we are threatened by the Impact, because we're afraid we're good enough to win the V-Cup this year. Or maybe it's just because of their stupid, moronic, idiotic, wannabe hooligan supporters ( didn't overstate that, did I? :D) .

Mrs. Workie
02-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Then why are you on here whining and wasting your energy bashing the Impact, this tournment has nothing to do with TFC. It would be easier if you just allowed the people that want to be happy about this, have their little space to be happy.

I could care less if you feel the need to hate them because they are the enemy or if you are proud of them because they are a Canadian based team. However spending your energy being a hater does not translate into support for TFC ATM.

Fuck L'Impact!

Wow.

Ok, fine, you win. God forbid I decide to voice my opinion around here.

I never attacked anyone, or "didn't allow" people to be happy about it. Good for them. It's not for me.

That said, I'll take my "Impact bashing" elsewhere.

Signed,

The Hater.

werewolf
02-26-2009, 10:57 AM

Fuck L'Impact!

Its the reaction of being dumbfounded how so many people on a Toronto FC forum are so easily happy for a rival.

It would do just as much for Canadian soccer if there were rivalries recognized by the fans. The days of 3 USL teams with mediocre support are gone.

flatpicker
02-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Haha, the next time I click on my link to the RPB forums, I expect to see, across my screen, the message "We have different opinions on the matter, and that's that". Congrats, you've solved the internet!

:rolleyes:
yes yes... I see what your saying...

My point was simply that this is barely a topic with discussing any more.
It's silly and insignificant...
Spend your time discussing something in another thread!

nascarguy
02-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Also, anyone have pictures of what the stands looked like? I missed the game (didn't care enough about New France to remember), but I'd like to see how the stadium looked with all those people in it.
lol ... New France you got that right

nascarguy
02-26-2009, 11:07 AM
i think this needs to be moved to the canada soccer forum this has nothing to do the the mls or tfc

Roogsy
02-26-2009, 11:10 AM
^^ Probably not, but at the same time, Saputo wasn't expecting half that crowd and was pricing it to try and meet his goal of 30k.

Difference being, MLSE would price it knowing full well people WILL pay.

I'd hate to think that was true...but given history, I'd have to think this is very likely. So sad...

Roogsy
02-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Simple question...would Limpact fans wish US well if the positions were reversed?

I find it hard to believe they would.

While I begrudgingly accept that this has a secondary benefit in helping soccer (mostly in Quebec remember...as you get further away, people will care less, think anyone in Alberta cares the Limpact won?) the PRIMARY benefit is to our rivals. And if you are ok with that...at least accept that I am not as happy about that fact.

Roogsy
02-26-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm not sure I agree. For one thing, people were complaining that Canada got a spot in the CCL. By MTL going as far as they have, those complaints should be quited somewhat.

For another, they got 55k out for a game! The fact is, most of those people have probably never been to an impact game before. If they enjoyed it (and it was an enjoyable game) they might come back this season. If the Impact start pulling in high attendence numbers, they will be making more money which, as a non-profit, must go back into the club itself. This means Montreal could have a great academy. A top notch academy would train young Canadian players, and increase the quality of our national team. Our national team doing better will help it get into the world cup, which will increase interest in Canadian soccer across canada. All of this is good for Canadian soccer in general.

But FIRSTLY benefits the Limpact.

The Limpact producing good academy players may help out the CMNT, but it has an even bigger impact on Montreal's team first, helping them produce a stronger team which is detrimental to TFC.

Everyone is looking at this from a general "Canadian" point of view....which I agree can mitigate the bitterness of Montrael winning. But that's it. It should mitigate it, not convert bitterness and anger into happy happy joy joy feelings!

jabbronies
02-26-2009, 11:20 AM
perhaps from here on in, we should be putting the Impact news in the international forum where it belongs. It's not TFC or MLS related news...

That will hopefully curb TFC fans looking for tfc news to be bombarded with Impact news and or pages of arguments.

dannyd
02-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Who's the impact, and why are they playing in OUR tournament?! We need to correct things this summer.

That spot was for TFC and montreal cheated us out of it. Fuck them.

Mrs. Workie
02-26-2009, 11:21 AM
perhaps from here on in, we should be putting the Impact news in the international forum where it belongs. It's not TFC or MLS related news...

That will hopefully curb TFC fans looking for tfc news to be bombarded with Impact news and or pages of arguments.

BOOOO

Party Pooper!!!!! :p

Chewy Unikronik
02-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Say word!
http://www.geocities.com/jwmetal@sbcglobal.net/arguing_over_internet.jpg

nascarguy
02-26-2009, 11:27 AM
i do not care about anything from Quebec. i want Quebec to burn

Pigfynn
02-26-2009, 11:29 AM
...tic

nascarguy
02-26-2009, 11:30 AM
i think this needs to be moved to the canada soccer forum this has nothing to do the the mls or tfc

thank you now pls move it

jabbronies
02-26-2009, 11:31 AM
BOOOO

Party Pooper!!!!! :p

Just a suggestion. Whoever actually impliments it (Denime) would be the party pooper (Denime).

jabbronies
02-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Say word!
http://www.geocities.com/jwmetal@sbcglobal.net/arguing_over_internet.jpg

I can't believe I have to sit beside you for 18 games = P

nascarguy
02-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Just a suggestion. Whoever actually impliments it (Denime) would be the party pooper (Denime).
but you are a Administrator don't you have more power then the mods

Razcle
02-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Wow.

Ok, fine, you win. God forbid I decide to voice my opinion around here.

I never attacked anyone, or "didn't allow" people to be happy about it. Good for them. It's not for me.

That said, I'll take my "Impact bashing" elsewhere.

Signed,

The Hater.

After re-reading your post your words are clearly just stating an opinion, that obvioulsy everyone is entitled to. My comments were directed at everyone that has the same opinion as you, however I quoted you because of the waste of energy comment, which I felt you were doing.

I agree that this commentary should be in the Canadian forum, as it's relevance is only how it impacts soccer in Canada, because I don't think anyone who calls themselves a RPB is happy about Montreal becomming a stronger team due to their success of this tourney. However some of us hate the Mexicans more then we could ever hate another Canadian team because of their tradition of being a powerhouse on this continent.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I will always get much more enjoyment in anyone beating the Mexicans, and that includes the Impact, especially if it has potential to improve the rivalry that could develop between TFC and L'Impact.

Sorry for Jacking this thread. I will try and find some TFC news to get the ball rolling again.

Mark in Ottawa
02-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Montreal winning is big news??
Hmm... lets see... No mention on front page of local newspaper... no mention on the first three pages of the sports section (that was all I saw this AM).

Local radio sports report is all about NHL hockey (even though the Senators did not play yesterday)... followed by Tiger Woods and local Junior "B" hockey playoffs.

CBC internet headline in sports "Impact upsets Mexico".
Mexico?? What a bunch of dumb asses.

I guess it is really big news in Montreal or buried deep in the sports sections if you want to look for it but it is hardly earth shattering news about to change the view of the canadian public regarding soccer in this country.

Razcle
02-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Serioux delighted with Toronto FC move

26.02.09 | tribalfootball.com
Canada international Adrian Serioux is delighted with his return to Toronto FC.
The former FC Dallas defender completed his move yesterday and told the Toronto Star: "It comes down to where do you see yourself settling down?
"For me, Toronto is my home."
While thrilled to be playing before family and friends and no longer being "the foreign uncle to my nieces," Serioux said he wouldn't have sought to come to Toronto if he didn't think the team "was moving in the right direction.
"It's a great atmosphere, a great group of guys and a great balance of talent," he said. "We should be a team to reckon with this year."
Serioux is a key acquisition for TFC, which is trying to shore up a defence which gave up 43 goals last year, tied for fifth-worst in the league.
"Adrian is a very strong defender plus we're adding another quality Canadian player to our roster," general manager Mo Johnston said.

>>>Comments from Serioux<<<<<

Mrs. Workie
02-26-2009, 11:38 AM
...tic

TAC TABARNAK!

WHO THE FUCK'S THE IMPACT!

:p

BFin
02-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Toronto, as a city, has a hell of a lot more than 50 years of rivalry history with Montreal. If their 3rd graders were playing our 3rd graders at marbles there's a built in rivalry. It's a natural rivalry which will always exist in any sport, activity or even craft the two cities participate in.

I have to think that anti-Toronto sentiment helped sell those 55,000 tickets last night. I'm sure they've heard enough about BMO field and our waiting list for tickets.

They don't have "Canada" written across the bottom of their shirts.

And yeah, I could have probably chosen easier teams to love.
Come on...really?
Why would 55,000 go and cheer loudly for their hometeam in a quarter final championship match to spite us? you are drastically over estimating our impact (lol) on North American soccer if you think there was a collective spiting amongst 55,000 people.

Chewy Unikronik
02-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I can't believe I have to sit beside you for 18 games = P
Yup... and I'm going to make the most of it too! :D

Hope you have a new supply of earbuds!

Roogsy
02-26-2009, 11:40 AM
I think he means more along the lines of "Hey...Toronto can do it, why can't we?"

That Toronto's success sits in the back of their minds I can believe. That it is a major motivating factor....probably not.

Don Julio
02-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Serioux is a key acquisition for TFC, which is trying to shore up a defence which gave up 43 goals last year, tied for fifth-worst in the league.
"Adrian is a very strong defender plus we're adding another quality Canadian player to our roster," general manager Mo Johnston said.

>>>Comments from Serioux<<<<<

I can't believe we were only fifth worst in conceding last year.

jabbronies
02-26-2009, 11:43 AM

Administrator is a nice way of saying techy designer guy....Mod's deal with content

BFin
02-26-2009, 11:43 AM
I can't believe we were only fifth worst in conceding last year.
Ya, really shows how much we needed to upgrade our offense I guess.
However, having both upgraded is always a nice benefit in the offseason!

Mark in Ottawa
02-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Come on...really?
Why would 55,000 go and cheer loudly for their hometeam in a quarter final championship match to spite us? you are drastically over estimating our impact (lol) on North American soccer if you think there was a collective spiting amongst 55,000 people.
55,000 because the Impact did a masterful job of marketing.
$10. tickets promoted to minor soccer and school groups helped to get the word out that the game was on and tickets would be available because of the size of the "big owe".

BFin
02-26-2009, 11:45 AM
^
Don't really know why you quoted me, I agreed with you.

ensco
02-26-2009, 11:47 AM
anyone else wondering if the TFC June 17 game at Montreal, which will be the last game of the NCC , should be moved to the Olympic Stadium?

mr k
02-26-2009, 11:57 AM
lol ... New France you got that right

some Voyageurs posted their Big O pics

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18776

forza_tfc
02-26-2009, 12:00 PM

I think it's good form to support our Canadian clubs.

Super
02-26-2009, 12:01 PM
The fact that the Impact is doing this well is just further embarrasment on us. If the Impact fans knew anything about football supporters culture they would've been singing "Are you watching, are you watching, are you watching TFC? ... are you watching TFC" at the end of the game.

But yeah, we're supposed to be so happy for them coz it's Canadian. Fuck that shit! And NO I wasn't watching. I hope they get killed 5-0 in the return leg. That I'l watch!

Shway
02-26-2009, 12:09 PM
LUCCASSSS FRIGGGEENN BIRGNSTYLL !!!!!!

yea right, im out of here

Brooker
02-26-2009, 12:11 PM
LOL they were making fun of us after the game?

man do they have a massive inferiority complex.

Super
02-26-2009, 12:14 PM
LOL they were making fun of us after the game?

man do they have a massive inferiority complex.

I wouldn't know. I wasn't watching. And I don't care. But I'll be making fun of them when we kick the living crap out of them this summer.

Stencils
02-26-2009, 12:19 PM
You should expect to be bombarded with criticism when praising a team that our supporters got into a fight with.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that our supporters got into a fight with the supporters of the Impact, not the Impact themselves.

I hope Montreal does well in the tournament because of the POTENTIAL for it being good for the sport in this country. If they did poorly, there's very little potential anything.

Would I prefer that TFC was the team in that spot? Hell yes.

And don't people end up cheering for the team that beats their team in playoffs all the time so that they can at least save face if that team wins the cup? ("Well, it's SORTA like we were in the cup final and lost, we just faced them earlier is all").

So I feel better about our loss of that spot in the league to Montreal if they do well. All it means is that my view of the high degree of competition here is validated. Doesn't mean I'm an Impact fan or close to it.

Honestly, sometimes I get a little creeped out by some of the seriously hardline aggressiveness towards other teams/supporters posted here. I suppose it's just the internetz talking. I support Toronto FC and I'm Toronto 'til I Die like the rest of you, but I don't wish ill on anyone else for it. Making our supporters group activities out as a war against other teams, comparing any of this stuff so closely to a war, sometimes feels like doing a disservice to actual soldiers. I'm pretty sure plenty of soldiers would prefer to be playing soccer than resting peacefully in Normandy.

The sports metaphor with warfare and such is there. Teams/armies. Coaches/commanders. Captains/Squad leaders. ETC. It's fine to acknowledge that and go with it. I guess I just feel there's a point at which we lose that sense of perspective and stuff like "FUCK MONTREAL. I hate those fucking cunts and their shit team" is past it. If you REALLY feel that way, seriously feel it and aren't just posturing for the benefit of those watching/reading, then, well, I dunno. That's kinda scary. No one is gonna call you an Impact fan if you don't say those things. There's no loyalty 'test' going on.

I certainly have no love for the members of their supporters who got into a fight with our guys. But I'm not gonna brand their entire organization like that just like we wouldn't want ours branded similarly.

Wow. I'm gonna catch flak from this, I can feel it. I kinda think I needed to say it though.

Cashcleaner
02-26-2009, 12:24 PM
I look at the Impact's success in the same manner I did with Rangers and Celtic when I was in Scotland. I didn't follow either team in domestic play, but I watched both and cheered for both when they were playing in the European tournaments. Why was that a big deal for me? Simple. The more these teams played in Europe, the better off Scottish football as a whole was. And that's the way I look at it with Montreal. I have a grudging respect for their team and organization for getting as far into CONCACAF as they have and believe that what they are doing is of a great service to soccer in Canada.

In any case, my real issue with Montreal isn't the people on the pitch or the guys up in the owners box. It's with their idiot supporters who think that bringing a garbage bag to BMO Field and painting LOL on it is some sort of concerted attempt at a display of their support for their team. Montreal is a club in need of better fans.

MisterMacphisto
02-26-2009, 12:29 PM

:):):):):):):)

Roogsy
02-26-2009, 12:30 PM
55,000 because the Impact did a masterful job of marketing.
$10. tickets promoted to minor soccer and school groups helped to get the word out that the game was on and tickets would be available because of the size of the "big owe".

The one thing I do have to say...is that the Limpact should teach the CSA how to market a one-off game. The CSA couldn't have done as good a job as the Saputos did for this game. Not even close.

Troll
02-26-2009, 12:37 PM
I agree w/ Mrs. Workie. I could give 2 shits about Montreal. Once TFC was eliminated the tournament simply didn't exist anymore in my mind.

I'll start caring when there is some type of incentive where the success of a Canadian team meant more qualifying seeds.

Basically comes down to... 'no incentive for TFC, no care!'

tlear
02-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Watched it yesterdaya and was really dissapointed how shitty mexican defense was.. it was fucking terrible. First half they could not adjust to the turf at all.. In any case fuck limpact. Further they go, more $$ they get which will enable them to buy better players, which makes things harder for us.

My only hope is that Laguna trashes them in Mexico, hopefully it will be humid 38C with 3-4k elevation and a corrupt ref

There are 121234141 reason to hate limpact here are few:
1. It is marketed to French only pretty much.. Montreal used to be mostly English speaking city well not anymore..
2. They burned TFC scarves
3. That sad excuse for a banner with garbage bags
4. Canada MNT game.. tell you just how much they care about Canada.
5. Their support group being a more inbred retarded bunch then Columbus Crew suporters

Anyway fuck em, I remember watching Barca destroy Spartak Moscow by something ridiculous like 4-0 and laughing my ass off because I supported Dynamo Kyiv when iw as a kid. It is exactly same thing, they are our enemy, they are the ones who prevented us from playing in CL.. they took our $$$$, the $$ that could ahve been used for grass, roof.. academy. Bastards took our lunch and people here are proud of them? /boggle

bignickel
02-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I agree w/ Mrs. Workie. I could give 2 shits about Montreal. Once TFC was eliminated the tournament simply didn't exist anymore in my mind.

I'll start caring when there is some type of incentive where the success of a Canadian team meant more qualifying seeds.

Basically comes down to... 'no incentive for TFC, no care!'

there is incentive for tfc, the more success canadian teams have in this tourney, the sooner they will add a second canadian participant to the mix.
like em or not, montreal's game yesterday was a massive day in canadian soccer history and winning only amplified that.
i hope they pull it off, it will better the game in our country.

Yohan
02-26-2009, 01:49 PM
there is incentive for tfc, the more success canadian teams have in this tourney, the sooner they will add a second canadian participant to the mix.
like em or not, montreal's game yesterday was a massive day in canadian soccer history and winning only amplified that.
i hope they pull it off, it will better the game in our country.
2nd CCL spot? out of 4 teams that play for a spot to qualify for CCL?

yeah right

Roogsy
02-26-2009, 01:51 PM

yeah right

I have to agree...that is just not going to happen.

Even worse...it's 3 teams, not 4.

BFin
02-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Anyway fuck em, I remember watching Barca destroy Spartak Moscow by something ridiculous like 4-0 and laughing my ass off because I supported Dynamo Kyiv when iw as a kid. It is exactly same thing, they are our enemy, they are the ones who prevented us from playing in CL.. they took our $$$$, the $$ that could ahve been used for grass, roof.. academy. Bastards took our lunch and people here are proud of them? /boggle
Yes, they caused us not to advance. Not our lack of you know...wins. :nono:

bignickel
02-26-2009, 02:24 PM

yeah right

i am not saying next year, i meant that maybe in 3-5 years if we end up having other cities like ottawa, hamilton, edmonton with usl or mls teams, then maybe we get the extra spot. that is of course if the canadian representative goes deep annually.

Yohan
02-26-2009, 02:34 PM
i am not saying next year, i meant that maybe in 3-5 years if we end up having other cities like ottawa, hamilton, edmonton with usl or mls teams, then maybe we get the extra spot. that is of course if the canadian representative goes deep annually.
more like 10+ yrs.

Takes time, effort and money to build up a team.

denime
02-26-2009, 02:34 PM

NO I won't move anything. Sorry !!You were warned .

I stated clearly :Today’s News,Thursday,Feb.26-Warning-Content Impact news

jloome
02-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Tomorrow's is a cute blonde.

jloome
02-26-2009, 07:19 PM
NO

What the fuck are you talking about? A rivalry is a rivalry. What, we have to grade them based on age now?

I see a lot of apologist Canadian semi-TFC fans in this thread, so underwhelmed by their own country and so lacking in anything remotely resembling self-confidence in our national identity that they'd support one of their team's only arch rivals.

Fucking sad. You cannot be a hardcore TFC fan and root for a team we'll be competing with every year for the national title. That makes NO sense. They don't represent Canada, their roster is not all-Canadian, and it's not even a Canadian competition.

Best-case scenario? Their plane for Mexico crashes on takeoff into Stade Saputo. Everyone survives, but all are too injured to play, and the stadium is a write off.

jabbronies
02-26-2009, 07:21 PM
NO I won't move anything. Sorry !!You were warned .

I stated clearly :Today’s News,Thursday,Feb.26-Warning-Content Impact news

you non-party pooper you....

denime
02-26-2009, 08:52 PM
What the fuck are you talking about? A rivalry is a rivalry. What, we have to grade them based on age now?

I see a lot of apologist Canadian semi-TFC fans in this thread, so underwhelmed by their own country and so lacking in anything remotely resembling self-confidence in our national identity that they'd support one of their team's only arch rivals.

Fucking sad. You cannot be a hardcore TFC fan and root for a team we'll be competing with every year for the national title. That makes NO sense. They don't represent Canada, their roster is not all-Canadian, and it's not even a Canadian competition.

Best-case scenario? Their plane for Mexico crashes on takeoff into Stade Saputo. Everyone survives, but all are too injured to play, and the stadium is a write off.

And this makes sense , eh

Is that means next year if we make it to CL TFC will represent USA since most players are US Citizens,and our roster is everything but Canadian,and on top of that we shouldn't care about CL since that is not Canadian competition. OH BOY, you make sense tonight big time

:stogey::stogey:

Beach_Red
02-26-2009, 08:58 PM

There's a different tradition in Canada that we're just getting over now. There was a time in hockey that most Canadians would prefer a Canadian-based team win the Stanley Cup, so as the Canadian teams were eliminated from the playoffs, some fans would cheer for the remaining Canadian teams.

Of course, part of that was wrapped up in the fact that all the other NHL teams are USA-based and there's a little anti-Americanism in there.

But we're getting over it in hockey (I can't imagine an Oilers fan cheering on the Flames) and we'll get over it in this, too.

jabbronies
02-26-2009, 09:19 PM
There's a different tradition in Canada that we're just getting over now. There was a time in hockey that most Canadians would prefer a Canadian-based team win the Stanley Cup, so as the Canadian teams were eliminated from the playoffs, some fans would cheer for the remaining Canadian teams.

Of course, part of that was wrapped up in the fact that all the other NHL teams are USA-based and there's a little anti-Americanism in there.

But we're getting over it in hockey (I can't imagine an Oilers fan cheering on the Flames) and we'll get over it in this, too.

Speak for yourself...I'd rather have a Canadian team win the cup...except for MTL and OTT of course.

Pachuco
02-26-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm loving the Impact right now. They've earned my respect, for the rest of you that think I am not a TFC a supporter because of it, GO FUCK RIGHT OFF. I'll support whoever I want to support, bunch of idiots in here trying to tell some people who they can and can't support.

tfc
02-26-2009, 09:25 PM

Your acting like a 4 year old. I am very patriotic, but regardless of a rivalry with a team we've played like 4 times, I'm not going to not support a CANADIAN team going as far as they have.

Give your head a shake, this isn't England where there are team rivalries that have been around for 100 years.

And wishing death on a whole entire team is so pathetic that it blows my mind somebody would even say it.

Pachuco
02-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Your acting like a 4 year old. I am very patriotic, but regardless of a rivalry with a team we've played like 4 times, I'm not going to not support a CANADIAN team going as far as they have.

Give your head a shake, this isn't England where there are team rivalries that have been around for 100 years.

And wishing death on a whole entire team is so pathetic that it blows my mind somebody would even say it.

I wish you hadn't quoted the 4 year old since I now have to see his 4 year old quote ;)

bignickel
02-26-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm loving the Impact right now. They've earned my respect, for the rest of you that think I am not a TFC a supporter because of it, GO FUCK RIGHT OFF. I'll support whoever I want to support, bunch of idiots in here trying to tell some people who they can and can't support.

spent some time in peru. the top teams in the league hate eachother to no end. but when libertadores comes around they enjoy watching their national rivals knock off international foes, can only help the prestige of their league.

you are right pachuco, they have earned repsect, and again, they have only made the rest of concacaf realize that soccer in canada is the real deal.

Pachuco
02-26-2009, 09:36 PM
spent some time in peru. the top teams in the league hate eachother to no end. but when libertadores comes around they enjoy watching their national rivals knock off international foes, can only help the prestige of their league.

you are right pachuco, they have earned repsect, and again, they have only made the rest of concacaf realize that soccer in canada is the real deal.

Absolutely. Common enemies makes friends. Shit, that even happens in wars. Where people die. Mexico is the enemy, there is nothing in it for Canada if Mexico wins. Even though it's Montreal, I can still say a Canadian team beat the Mexicans, that makes me happy ;)

cougars732
02-26-2009, 09:44 PM
COED must pay more than SSG
quality is better

rocker
02-26-2009, 09:46 PM

ya, wait until the Impact game in May... you`ll be all nervous and worried cuz you respect the Impact.. and in your heart you`ll be too emotionally invested in the Impact to really get hyped up about TFC.

it`s like when you have a long term girlfriend... then one day you start seeing some chick on the side for sex only.... you can`t be as mentally focused and in love with your long term girlfriend unless you stop banging the other chick! :)

werewolf
02-26-2009, 09:46 PM

No one is telling you who to support. But if you come into the TFC section of a TFC supporters board with your love fest, you really can't expect open arms.

Pachuco
02-26-2009, 09:51 PM
No one is telling you who to support. But if you come into the TFC section of a TFC supporters board with your love fest, you really can't expect open arms.

Really? no one's telling me who I can support? I didn't feel inclined to get into this argument until I saw this. That my friend, is telling me who I can support.

Super
02-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Impact AND TFC supporter. That's funny.

Love who you want to, mate, but most people on here hate the L'Impact with a passion. Especially after the away game where a bunch of our supporters were attacked by Impact fans.

werewolf
02-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Speaking in general terms, not the single post in the over dozen pages today.

denime
02-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Impact AND TFC supporter. That's funny.

Love who you want to, mate, but most people on here hate the L'Impact with a passion. Especially after the away game where a bunch of our supporters were attacked by Impact fans.

I think he is Canadian soccer and TFC supporter.Unfortunately many ppl have selective reading lately.

Pachuco
02-26-2009, 09:59 PM

My post was in direct response to that post and another I won't single out. I definately wasn't talking about most people in this thread as some people can have a reasonable discussion.

Pachuco
02-26-2009, 10:01 PM
I think he is Canadian soccer and TFC supporter.Unfortunately many ppl have selective reading lately.

Yeap, and the day Montreal steps on our turf, they are our enemy. As of now, Mexico is the enemy, which makes Montreal a friend, for now ;)

Super
02-26-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm a Canada supporter also, and I lived in Quebec, and trust me: Quebec is not Canada. I was one of the thousand+ that ventured to Montreal to support Canada against Honduras, and practically no Quebecers showed up in support of our national team. That really didn't sit well with me. Nor did it please me that we were told to fuck off back home to Toronto by security guards.

Up yours, Montreal. I hope you fail in Mexico. Not because I root for Mexico, but because I root for your failure!

Super
02-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Also, I don't want Montreal to do well because they'll be able to boast about it and hold it over our heads until we outdo them. That's a classic rival argument.

bignickel
02-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Also, I don't want Montreal to do well because they'll be able to boast about it and hold it over our heads until we outdo them. That's a classic rival argument.

hold it over our heads for 2-3 months, we will then be the canadian representative in the ccl. no big deal.

Super
02-26-2009, 10:18 PM
hold it over our heads for 2-3 months, we will then be the canadian representative in the ccl. no big deal.

Indeed. However, they would still be able to boast success in the Champions League. But I guess a year from now we'll hopefully find ourselves in the same position as Montreal is in right now as well. THEN we'll tell them to fuck off :D

Azerban
02-26-2009, 10:34 PM
FUCK MONTREAL. I hate those fucking cunts and their shit team

Roogsy
02-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Really? no one's telling me who I can support? I didn't feel inclined to get into this argument until I saw this. That my friend, is telling me who I can support.

He's not telling you who you can or cannot support. He's telling you he thinks you are a semi-TFC supporter. Those are different statements.

DRock
02-26-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't understand why people can't have a bit more class on here, i mean, going for the Impact in a tournament in which TFC is NO LONGER competing is not wrong. They are Canadian and it's good for the sport here, and our image internationally, as a few have pointed out. People are saying oh, they beat us, they were the reason we didn't qualify and all that, which just sounds to me to be a HUGE SORE LOSER ATTITUDE. We shouldn;t be pissed at the because they won, we should look at our team for losing, and don't jump on my back saying i'm a hater, i just mean that we have to look at why we lost and improve for next year. Rooting for them now is not going to have any impact (sorry about the pun) on my support for TFC next year. Right now it has nothing to do with TFC.

They burned our scarf and that's not cool, some of their supporters are fucks, but that doesn't change the fact that their team was good. Face it, they've put together a good side that has won the 1st half of the semi-final 2-0, that deserves respect, and you've gotta be closed minded if you can't see that.

I know, from reading earlier posts, that some are gonna jump all over this post saying that i shouldn't support them, blah, blah, but there are no advantages for us to hate them right now, just the opposite, if they do well, the Canadian name does well. I'll bet that the vast majority of Mexicans had no idea who the Impact were, but now at least Atalante and Santos fans do, they know them as a CANADIAN TEAM. They'll know us next year, don't worry people, but don't be bitter because we got beat, move on!

Roogsy
02-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Yeap, and the day Montreal steps on our turf, they are our enemy. As of now, Mexico is the enemy, which makes Montreal a friend, for now ;)

Santos isn't Mexico. And they definitely aren't TFC's enemy, we've never played them. And their supporters have never attacked me. So I will stick to keeping Limpact as my enemy.

Roogsy
02-26-2009, 10:44 PM
I don't understand why people can't have a bit more class on here, i mean, going for the Impact in a tournament in which TFC is NO LONGER competing is not wrong. They are Canadian and it's good for the sport here, and our image internationally, as a few have pointed out. People are saying oh, they beat us, they were the reason we didn't qualify and all that, which just sounds to me to be a HUGE SORE LOSER ATTITUDE. We shouldn;t be pissed at the because they won, we should look at our team for losing, and don't jump on my back saying i'm a hater, i just mean that we have to look at why we lost and improve for next year. Rooting for them now is not going to have any impact (sorry about the pun) on my support for TFC next year. Right now it has nothing to do with TFC.

They burned our scarf and that's not cool, some of their supporters are fucks, but that doesn't change the fact that their team was good. Face it, they've put together a good side that has won the 1st half of the semi-final 2-0, that deserves respect, and you've gotta be closed minded if you can't see that.

I know, from reading earlier posts, that some are gonna jump all over this post saying that i shouldn't support them, blah, blah, but there are no advantages for us to hate them right now, just the opposite, if they do well, the Canadian name does well. I'll bet that the vast majority of Mexicans had no idea who the Impact were, but now at least Atalante and Santos fans do, they know them as a CANADIAN TEAM. They'll know us next year, don't worry people, but don't be bitter because we got beat, move on!

So to respect them I have to be giddy over their success?

How about I just acknowledge they are a good side and that's it? I think the rest of you have take the complete opposite spectrum of this and decided that because you want soccer in Canada to do so well, you're willing to lie with the enemy because somehow the end justifies the means.

It doesn't matter that ever bit of success that team has will be thrown in our face continuously until TFC surpasses it. Starting with this year. Oh and let's not forget that every extra dime Limpact makes directly goes to improving the team that will be facing us in the NCC this year. Why does nobody see this?

DRock
02-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Anyway, that's what I wanted to say, and i don't think you should give people so much shit for supporting them right now! C'mon people, let other support who they want, with being crucified for it. I don't hate on any AC Milan fans even though i'm a Juve fan, even though Juve is ahead in Serie A, just buggin

DRock
02-26-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm not saying to go out and buy a Impact jersey and go to the games, i'm just trying to say not to have such a negative approach and not hope they get into a plane crash (i know it wasn't literal).

Roogsy
02-26-2009, 10:50 PM
People can do what they want. And can have an opinion either way. So if you are a Juve fan and like seeing AC Milan win the CL...go for it. But if you are going to vocalize such a thing...wouldn't you expect to get worked over by other Juve fans?

Seriously...if you don't want the grief...I know I wouldn't go on a Juve supporters forum, claim I am a Juve fan and then wish AC Milan well in any tournament.

Wanting the freedom to express opinions goes both ways. If you want to dish it you gotta be able to take it.

DRock
02-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Tiss true, i suppose anybody can say what they want and it's fine, i just wish it was a bit more classy personally.

DRock
02-26-2009, 10:53 PM
But i see both sides of the argument, and am glad they won (even if it was because of the crazy ball bounce on the turf). ALthough i do see why you wouldn't want to support them, but for the people that are cheering them on, they have valid reasons, you have to admit that.

S_D
02-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Hate Montreal all you want but if you are a Canadian soccer supporter, there is some great news coming out of this. ;)

I think some of you should listen to the soccer show this evening. The CSA is already working on the process for petitioning the CONCACAF powers about an additional spot in the CL due to the turnout in Montreal. CONCACAF officials were off doing FIFA business and couldn't be there but watched the game over the net and were thrilled with the turnout.

Apparently Canada gets 1 spot for 2 years and it is then reviewed to see if any additional spots should be awarded.

And as for adding say a 4th team in the Voyageurs Cup, apparently they have to meet some minimum requirements to ensure they can meet financial obligations that they would face such as travel etc. Doesn't look likely in the near future, even though nobody seems to know exactly what the minimum requirements are.

Azerban
02-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Oh and let's not forget that every extra dime Limpact makes directly goes to improving the team that will be facing us in the NCC this year. Why does nobody see this?

it's our fault we're bad so we have to wish continual good on our rivals

and if you don't support them after they beat us again in the canada cup with their newfound money and support you're a fucking uncanadian piece of shit

when they burn our crest and fight with our supporters, you have to support them, or else

hurf de durf man everything kicks ass in this fantasy world i think i'm going to take the gumdrop bridge over to unicorn mountain byyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeee

jloome
02-26-2009, 11:10 PM

Again, what the fuck are you talking about. How is arguing with you acting like a four-year-old. And moron, read the post: it quite clearly says EVERYONE SURVIVES BUT.... so, no, it wasn't really the sociopathic rant you thought it was.

Pachuco, as for your comment, the day you have anything sensible to say on here is the day Montreal wins the World Club Championship. THe fact that neither of you like the word "fuck" doesn't substitute for having a tenable position.

Denime, that comeback was so weak it was beneath you. I'm obviously making the argument that supporting teams for their Canadianism is ridiculous, and the national content of pro teams is one reason why soccer fans quote support for a particular teams -- notably TFC, many times, on this board.

Nope, what we have here is a handful of Impact future fans who, when faced with a little aggression in a debate, can do nothing but mewl and certainly haven't presented anything resembling a cogent respose to the actual points made.

1) They're our rivals.
2) They do not, in any way, represent Canada. Calling someone the "Canadian Champion" gives them absolutely zippo actual national status with anyone except Concacaf, and most Canadians I know aren't their biggest fans to start off with.
3) You want someone to cheer for who's Canadian, that's it, that's all, that's everything. I'd suggest finding a Canadian player on a team we don't hate.

gtaguy
02-26-2009, 11:10 PM
to have montreal be a rival city to toronto would be a dream. but i think that hamilton would be even better. i think that the saputo family killed a big opportunity in montreal. and that opportunity is open to hamilton in the near future expansion... its only my guess. but i see steel town being tough warriors ..

jloome
02-26-2009, 11:12 PM

Which he misinterpreted as a broad encompassing statement, instead of simply being my opinion. So it's moot anyway.

s2cazz
I think the fact that 55 000 fans turned out to a match that didn't involve the spice boy or some big name European club is nothing but good news for the sport in general... call me crazy...

fuck the Impact tho

ExiledRed
Hate Montreal all you want but if you are a Canadian soccer supporter, there is some great news coming out of this. ;)

I think some of you should listen to the soccer show this evening. The CSA is already working on the process for petitioning the CONCACAF powers about an additional spot in the CL due to the turnout in Montreal. CONCACAF officials were off doing FIFA business and couldn't be there but watched the game over the net and were thrilled with the turnout.

Thats nonsense. The CSA has their head stuck up their arses. 3 teams and two berths? Canada doesn't deserve two slots on the basis of one crowd.

As it is, our berth forces us to play a qualifier round, and that's fair if you ask me.

Maybe if we had 6 teams, we could nicely ask for an automatic first round berth, but until we have a league of our own, and healthy competition for the berths, one is all were going to get.

gtaguy
02-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Thats nonsense. The CSA has their head stuck up their arses. 3 teams and two berths? Canada doesn't deserve two slots on the basis of one crowd.

As it is, our berth forces us to play a qualifier round, and that's fair if you ask me.

Maybe if we had 6 teams, we could nicely ask for an automatic first round berth, but until we have a league of our own, and healthy competition for the berths, one is all were going to get.

thats easy.. absolve the csa.. and then form a new entity to run sport operations . grow the sport

tfc
02-26-2009, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=jloome;392193]Again, what the fuck are you talking about. How is arguing with you acting like a four-year-old. And moron, read the post: it quite clearly says EVERYONE SURVIVES BUT.... so, no, it wasn't really the sociopathic rant you thought it was.

haha hey big guy, first, i have only said one thing to you on this thread; secondly, you wishing ill upon anyone, regardless of whether it is death or injury is embarrassing to not only you, but RPB in general; thirdly, its not you arguing with me that makes you acting like a four year old, its the way you are presenting your argument. its emotional, defensive, illogical, and ultimately, wrong. Just because I support a Canadian based team rather than a Mexican team that I have never seen play before doesn't make me an " apologist Canadian semi-TFC fans in this thread, so underwhelmed by their own country and so lacking in anything remotely resembling self-confidence in our national identity that they'd support one of their team's only arch rivals." Sit this one out and think about it.

jloome
02-26-2009, 11:29 PM
One other point: there's a big difference between quietly sitting in front of your set and hoping the lone Canadian rep in a tournament goes further....and then publicly going out and admitting it, even though that team is your team's rival. It's something of a sellout.

SoccMan
02-26-2009, 11:29 PM
I would like to know how many people out here followed Canadian soccer or even soccer in general before TFC came about? I'm starting to think that there are a lot of people on these boards who did not know much about Canadian soccer before TFC was created. I'm starting to think that a lot of you people never followed Canadian soccer before TFC just by the postings I have been reading regarding the Impact's success. I think the poeple that can appreciate the Impact's success and the effect it can have on soccer in general in Canada are people who followed Canadian soccer even before the birth of TFC. The ones that can't appreciate the Impact's success seem to be the how do you say it, Johnny come latelys, to the Canadian soccer scene.

jloome
02-26-2009, 11:35 PM
I would like to know how many people out here followed Canadian soccer or even soccer in general before TFC came about? I'm starting to think that there are a lot of people on these boards who did not know much about Canadian soccer before TFC was created. I'm starting to think that a lot of you people never followed Canadian soccer before TFC just by the postings I have been reading regarding the Impact's success. I think the poeple that can appreciate the Impact's success and the effect it can have on soccer in general in Canada are people who followed Canadian soccer even before the birth of TFC. The ones that can't appreciate the Impact's success seem to be the how do you say it, Johnny come latelys, to the Canadian soccer scene.

And you base that on what?

s2cazz
02-26-2009, 11:37 PM
was there canadian soccer before TFC?

bhoybobby
02-26-2009, 11:37 PM
FUCK MONTREAL. I hate those fucking cunts and their shit team

Their so called shit team is living the dream that the took from us. Kudo's to them, shoulda, coulda been us.:canada:

s2cazz
02-26-2009, 11:41 PM
anyone notice the pic?... Impact fans are "flaring" up their support... I think we should too...and show them how its done

Azerban
02-26-2009, 11:55 PM
Their so called shit team is living the dream that the took from us. Kudo's to them, shoulda, coulda been us.:canada:

noooooo how do i read thread

BleedRed
02-27-2009, 12:04 AM
fuck the impact...i hope it rains and lightning strikes the grass while they play.. :D:D:D:D

MUFC_Niagara
02-27-2009, 01:46 AM
If TFC is not involved then I do not care. Screw the Impact.....I hope they crash and burn in Mexico and get brought back down to planet earth.

Super
02-27-2009, 03:39 AM
Please stop saying that Montreal is a Canadian team. I mean, seriously. These "people" hate Canada more than Mexicans. I'll root for anyone over Montreal. Those cunts deserve nothing short of death in the next round. Here's to a heavy MTL defeat!!! CHEERS!!!

And to those of you who cheer for MTL: Fuck you! Yes, seriously, FUCK YOU! Traitor, traitor, traitor. We're not one big happy family, and no, TFC is not Canada's team. We're Toronto's team, and Montreal is our sworn enemy. These are the fuckers that jumped our supporters, burned our scarves/flags and told us to fuck home to Toronto. You want to support or cheer on them? Fine, but don't expect all of us to be happy about it. And please don't feel offended - this is just the average opinion of most TFC supporters. As I'm sure it is the average L'Impact opinion as well.

CretanBull
02-27-2009, 04:25 AM
Please stop saying that Montreal is a Canadian team. I mean, seriously. These "people" hate Canada more than Mexicans. I'll root for anyone over Montreal. Those cunts deserve nothing short of death in the next round. Here's to a heavy MTL defeat!!! CHEERS!!!

And to those of you who cheer for MTL: Fuck you! Yes, seriously, FUCK YOU! Traitor, traitor, traitor. We're not one big happy family, and no, TFC is not Canada's team. We're Toronto's team, and Montreal is our sworn enemy. These are the fuckers that jumped our supporters, burned our scarves/flags and told us to fuck home to Toronto. You want to support or cheer on them? Fine, but don't expect all of us to be happy about it. And please don't feel offended - this is just the average opinion of most TFC supporters. As I'm sure it is the average L'Impact opinion as well.

Montreal is a Canandian team. A handfull of idiots don't get to speak for the vast majority - unless you let them. My cousin and her friends are Impact supporters, they are very much Canadian and don't hate Canada.

Luanda
02-27-2009, 06:20 AM

Well said!

ensco
02-27-2009, 07:39 AM
I am not happy at the number of comments on here about Montreal that sound like people in Dublin talking about Northern Ireland circa 1975.

There is absolutely no question that the majority of Montrealers identify with Quebec more strongly than they do with Canada. But those same people don't hate us.

I repeat, they don't hate us. And we don't hate them.

What happened with the supporters in Montreal (I wasn't there) is inexcusable. Sounds like a comment on the police to me, though. And as for what happened at the Honduras match, that's the CSA's fault as much or more than anything. Even here, where the CSA did a better job getting tickets to Canadian fans, there had to be 8,000-10,000 Jamaicans at our game.

So let's give this "I hate them" thing a rest. Cheer for the Impact, or don't, but we owe it to ourselves not to invent some hateful thing that isn't there.

trane
02-27-2009, 07:47 AM
I feel like a traitor when I say I like the way Montreal play. But it is the fucking truth. But being a Torontonian I just cannot see myself ever supporting them in an active way. Can I hate them no. If the two teams were in the same city, I would not lie I would support them, they are just more attractive to an Italian traditionalist like me in style of play. But my loyalty is to my city, and hence to TFC. ALthought it is tested at times for various reasons. Again just being open. I have liked what I have seen from the first time we played them. As for the Juve v AC Milan, fan I would venture to guess that most Juve or Ac MIlan fan would rather see each other win the CL then an English club. Part of this goes back to the country v club thing, it is just not the same in Italy. In my experience anyway. Part of the anti-Montreal sentiment is an Enlgish(Ontario) v. French (Quebec), I just do not have the any hate for Quebec.

bignickel
02-27-2009, 08:20 AM

o.k. we won't but let's not forget.....montreal is a canadian team!

Oldtimer
02-27-2009, 08:32 AM
I have a good friend who's a Montrealer, and he's 100% Canadian.
You can't generalize -- unlike other parts of Quebec, Montreal has a strong federalist contingent.

Oldtimer
02-27-2009, 08:43 AM
I think I can sum up this Impact debate:

It looks like our group divides neatly into two camps.

One camp is more like Voyageurs types - support Canadian soccer in all it's forms, and while are TFC supporters ahead of all other clubs are pleased by anything that supports the game. These ones would typically be older, and have supported the CMNT for years.

The other camp are "TFC only," they support the club. They may support the CMNT, but it's the home club over everything else. The thought of saying anything remotely nice about a competing club makes them ill to their stomaches.

All of the debate merely shows which camp the commentator is in.

Does anyone fall outside or between these two groupings?

werewolf
02-27-2009, 08:53 AM
^
<--------

Pigfynn
02-27-2009, 08:54 AM
I like how you say in your previous post not to generalize and then proceed to put everyone on this board into two "neat" groups. :rolleyes:

DRock
02-27-2009, 09:48 AM

One camp is more like Voyageurs types - support Canadian soccer in all it's forms, and while are TFC supporters ahead of all other clubs are pleased by anything that supports the game. These ones would typically be older, and have supported the CMNT for years.

The other camp are "TFC only," they support the club. They may support the CMNT, but it's the home club over everything else. The thought of saying anything remotely nice about a competing club makes them ill to their stomaches.

That's pretty much how i see it! Debate closed? I think so!

Pachuco
02-27-2009, 01:46 PM

#1 (One camp is more like Voyageurs types - support Canadian soccer in all it's forms, and while are TFC supporters ahead of all other clubs are pleased by anything that supports the game. These ones would typically be older, and have supported the CMNT for years. )

#2 (The other camp are "TFC only," they support the club. They may support the CMNT, but it's the home club over everything else. The thought of saying anything remotely nice about a competing club makes them ill to their stomaches.)

I agree, but that's not where the discussion ends. Some morons (actually very few morons on this thread) who fall under scenario #2 seem to think that if you fall under #1 you are a trator. Some have gone as far as saying FUCK YOU to all #2s.

My response to that is :dita::dita:

Way to go peeps, way to divide RPB. You could'nt just say, we are all part of the same group regardless of whether you are chearing for Montreal or not in the Champions League.

DRock
02-27-2009, 01:51 PM
I agree, but that's not where the discussion ends. Some morons (actually very few morons on this thread) who fall under scenario #2 seem to think that if you fall under #1 you are a trator. Some have gone as far as saying FUCK YOU to all #2s.

My response to that is :dita::dita:

Way to go peeps, way to divide RPB. You could'nt just say, we are all part of the same group regardless of whether you are chearing for Montreal or not in the Champions League.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was trying to say! That's it this converstaion is over (says the guy who has absolutely no say on this board :p). We must rejoin together and have a TFC lovefest!

Super
02-27-2009, 02:00 PM
It's when the Montreal Ultra's attacked out supporters that it became personal between our groups. Also, when security guards told us to fuck on back to Toronto after the Canada - Honduras game it became personal. OF COURSE there are great people in Montreal and Quebec who do not hate Canada. But I think you'll be hard pressed to find these people among the Ultra's. It makes for the perfect rivalry, and I just refuse to root for any rival of TFC. It's not in me.

CretanBull
02-27-2009, 02:08 PM
To be clear, I'm not an Impact "supporter" and the main reason why I want them to join the MLS is to get a chance to beat them on a regular basis, its just that I think that at this point of the game's developement in Canada anything positive (like 56,000 people attending a game in Montreal) will effect all of us in a good way. At the very least, it raises the profile of the sport in Canada (a place where the top all-sports channel chose to show curling instead of Champions League footy).

Comparisons that other people have made about one European rival never rooting for another European rival aren't fair at this point because they don't have to worry about where football ranks with them. If it was a sport struggling for exposure and mainstream acceptance in England, maybe we would see City fans hoping to see Man U succeed in an international tournament.

Oldtimer
02-27-2009, 02:21 PM
It's when the Montreal Ultra's attacked out supporters that it became personal between our groups. Also, when security guards told us to fuck on back to Toronto after the Canada - Honduras game it became personal. OF COURSE there are great people in Montreal and Quebec who do not hate Canada. But I think you'll be hard pressed to find these people among the Ultra's. It makes for the perfect rivalry, and I just refuse to root for any rival of TFC. It's not in me.

I think that 100% of RPB would agree that the "Ultras de Montreal" are moronic, wannabe-hooligan idiots, whether RPB involved are in group 1 or group 2. The "Ultras" deserve nothing but our scorn.

Super
02-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Well, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if we root for them or not on a personal level. But I for one would rather go on the record as NOT rooting for them.

djking2
02-27-2009, 02:31 PM
If it was a sport struggling for exposure and mainstream acceptance in England, maybe we would see City fans hoping to see Man U succeed in an international tournament.

or not..... here's a Man City fan. Wait for the ten things I hate. :)

rocktml
02-27-2009, 02:39 PM
flares guys! We need to bring back flares!!! Montreal will beatr us in our own game!!

CretanBull
02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
or not..... here's a Man City fan. Wait for the ten things I hate. :)

Trust me, I hate Man U too but both of us are coming from a footy culture that's already well established so we have the luxury of wanting to see a cross-town rival fail.

djking2
02-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Trust me, I hate Man U too but both of us are coming from a footy culture that's already well established so we have the luxury of wanting to see a cross-town rival fail.

I forgot to post the link. Here ya are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ETm33u_8bY&fmt=18

Red Baron
02-27-2009, 03:49 PM
To be clear, I'm not an Impact "supporter" and the main reason why I want them to join the MLS is to get a chance to beat them on a regular basis, its just that I think that at this point of the game's developement in Canada anything positive (like 56,000 people attending a game in Montreal) will effect all of us in a good way. At the very least, it raises the profile of the sport in Canada (a place where the top all-sports channel chose to show curling instead of Champions League footy).

Comparisons that other people have made about one European rival never rooting for another European rival aren't fair at this point because they don't have to worry about where football ranks with them. If it was a sport struggling for exposure and mainstream acceptance in England, maybe we would see City fans hoping to see Man U succeed in an international tournament.

Spot on

Roogsy
02-27-2009, 03:56 PM

+1...

Pachuco
02-27-2009, 07:28 PM

I can understand that, and I would probably feel the same. I wasn't there though, and I had no problem with them when they came to Toronto. My experience was quite the opposite here. I can't just make up a rivalry just because some internet characters on here (who I don't personally know) had a bad experience with a specific set of people who support the Montreal team. At the end of the day, I am hearing one side so therefore I don't form an opinion. Heck, if I was to form an opinion then I would form it against some wanna be hooligans in our own supporter's sections. I see nothing but crap from alot of people who support this team every home game.

S_D
02-27-2009, 07:30 PM

Not that old I hope. But then again all of my Quebec relatives call me the old guy so I guess I may be.:D

Just to add to your great post, some of us are not just CMNT supporters, we are Canadian soccer supporters. I guess as well what has to be said is that us "older guys" have had our hearts broken watching league after league fold over the years, losing teams....and my Dad an avid soccer supporter, used to watch Toronto City and was very saddened when they folded in the mid 60's.

While I respect others opinions, to call people like me traitors goes over the top in my opinion. Do I support TFC? Absolutely. I want TFC to kick other teams in the ass as often as possible lol.

Many of us have been through it all, and to see soccer finally starting to get a foothold in Canada again gives us a sense of pride that many in their 20's can't I guess understand, and honestly I hope you never have to if god forbid the MLS ever folded or TFC was forced to move.

Look at the older San Jose supporters who were there before MLS moved their team to Houston. To this day there is still a sense of regret and anger even though they got their team back.

If one looks at the MLS forums in Big Soccer, even though there is a lot of crap that goes on there, one thing that binds many of the supporters no matter what team, they want to see the MLS survive. It is an us against them mentality. Well I want to see soccer not only survive in Canada, I want it to flourish. I want more teams in the MLS.

Do I agree with what some of those Montreal supporters did? Absolutely not. I find it deplorable and I understand your anger. What that security guy said "go back to Toronto....", equally disgusting, but you will find ignorant security people everywhere, including BMO.

ensco
02-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Many of us have been through it all, and to see soccer finally starting to get a foothold in Canada again gives us a sense of pride that many in their 20's can't I guess understand, and honestly I hope you never have to if god forbid the MLS ever folded or TFC was forced to move.

How true this is. For those of us who were Blizzard fans, then left with nothing, TFC is a miracle.

Razcle
02-27-2009, 07:45 PM
What that security guy said "go back to Toronto....", equally disgusting, but you will find ignorant security people everywhere, including BMO.

Ignorant security people. How could that be. Do they not have years of ethics and courtasy training to get into the security field. I'm sure you understand that these people take flack for a living and its no wonder they go overboard when someone flips them off.

I just can't believe that people were hurt enough to take this comment to heart. I forgot about it after I was down the stairs and on my way to the pisser. :canada:

Pachuco
02-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Not that old I hope. But then again all of my Quebec relatives call me the old guy so I guess I may be.:D

Just to add to your great post, some of us are not just CMNT supporters, we are Canadian soccer supporters. I guess as well what has to be said is that us "older guys" have had our hearts broken watching league after league fold over the years, losing teams....and my Dad an avid soccer supporter, used to watch Toronto City and was very saddened when they folded in the mid 60's.

While I respect others opinions, to call people like me traitors goes over the top in my opinion. Do I support TFC? Absolutely. I want TFC to kick other teams in the ass as often as possible lol.

Look at the older San Jose supporters who were there before MLS moved their team to Houston. To this day there is still a sense of regret and anger even though they got their team back.

If one looks at the MLS forums in Big Soccer, even though there is a lot of crap that goes on there, one thing that binds many of the supporters no matter what team, they want to see the MLS survive. It is an us against them mentality. Well I want to see soccer not only survive in Canada, I want it to flourish. I want more teams in the MLS.

Do I agree with what some of those Montreal supporters did? Absolutely not. I find it deplorable and I understand your anger. What that security guy said "go back to Toronto....", equally disgusting, but you will find ignorant security people everywhere, including BMO.

This is one heck of a post!

werewolf
02-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Well, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if we root for them or not on a personal level. But I for one would rather go on the record as NOT rooting for them.

That's the funniest part...this is a TFC forum. What kind of response do some people expect?

Pachuco
02-27-2009, 08:49 PM
That's the funniest part...this is a TFC forum. What kind of response do some people expect?

What's even sader is that as a moderator of not only a TFC site but a sports site in general, you are condoning some of the shit being said on here.

werewolf
02-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Well, firstly I said "funny". So it can't be "sader" it can be "funnier", but not "sader".

What exactly am *I* condoning?

:rofl:

SoccMan
02-27-2009, 08:59 PM
S D that was a great post man. As someone who has been following Canadian soccer since the early 70's I could not have said it better myself. I like many other TFC supporters went through that ugly period from that last Blizzard NASL season in 1984 when not only did we suffer the loss of our beloved team that was the Blizzard but we lost a whole league when along with the Blizzard in 1984 the league itself folded aswell. We were left with no real major pro league until the MLS was created in 1996 and no team to support until TFC was born in 2007. We were left with no team to support for over 22 years. This is why people like us want the MLS to succeed, we can appreciate when a rival does well and creates some media buzz. I hope that all you people who were not around during the NASL and Blizzard days never have to experience having a team you love and a league your team participates in taken away from you, like we did.

Pachuco
02-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Well, firstly I said "funny". So it can't be "sader" it can be "funnier", but not "sader".

What exactly am *I* condoning?

:rofl:

By standing to the side and saying "what do you expect, this is a TFC site?" You are basically condoning the "fuck you for rooting for the Impact statements".

werewolf
02-27-2009, 09:07 PM
If you have a problem, feel free to use this button http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/redbar/buttons/report.gif

Super
02-27-2009, 09:42 PM
By standing to the side and saying "what do you expect, this is a TFC site?" You are basically condoning the "fuck you for rooting for the Impact statements".

You said you have the right to support the Impact. Others said the have the right to not support the Impact. End of story. So someone says "fuck you" to you on a message board. Who cares. People say that to me all the time.