PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy Waive GK Cronin

Chevy
02-25-2009, 06:47 PM
CARSON, Calif. (AP) -The Los Angeles Galaxy waived five players Wednesday, including last season's top goaltender Steve Cronin, and trimmed their preseason roster to 27. Defenders Brandon McDonald, Mike Randolph and Troy Roberts and midfielder Ely Allen also were waived.

Pure spec on my part, but could Edwards or Sutton be sent off to LA?:noidea:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/wires/02/25/2050.ap.soc.mls.galaxy.moves.0216/index.html?eref=si_soccer

Nuvinho
02-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Hey have Josh Wicks and another goalie as backup to Ricketts.

EDIT: Other goalie is Saunders.

mighty_torontofc_2008
02-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Could see Edwards going....but TFC need to get a deal from LA

Pachuco
02-25-2009, 06:53 PM
What kind of defender would we get from LA? there's nothing in LA we want. Unless we need allocation but only if we've secured a defender first.

Nuvinho
02-25-2009, 06:55 PM
I could see Edwards going to Chivas as backup for Thornton - the backup there I think is Logan Parke.

romburgundy
02-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Edwards is going to be a solid mls keeper all he needs is a full season as # 1 but that will never happen in TO or LA

werewolf
02-25-2009, 06:57 PM
I could see Edwards going to Chivas as backup for Thornton - the backup there I think is Logan Parke.

for Jazic?

Wishful thinking since they just acquired him.

Broadview
02-25-2009, 07:03 PM
I doubt TFC would get much more than a draft pick for Edwards. He hasn't done enough in the league to be considered more than a warm body, and the whole league would see any offer by TFC for what it is, a salary dump.

As far as trade value goes, Frei would a much more attractive proposition to other teams due to his Generation Adidas status. I doubt it would be enough to pry a quality defender from anyone.

If we end up getting that elusive CB, I'll bet dollars to dunuts it's from outside MLS.

Nuvinho
02-25-2009, 07:07 PM
for Jazic?

Wishful thinking since they just acquired him.

nope for a 2nd round pick. That is probably what Edwards is worth on the market.

Marco2K
02-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Well he is a late draft pick. I would assume a draft pick should be a great return.
Maybe a 1st

Stouffville_RPB
02-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Let's trade Edwards for Dunivat!

Nuvinho
02-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Why would LA trade for another goalie when they already have 3??

poppamidnight
02-25-2009, 07:37 PM
why the hell don't people talk about Sutton being the one dealt!?!?!?!

I've been stressing it for the past 2/3 days now...

Sutton's cap hit is big - we've got a younger guy apparently good enough to push him for minutes (likely split) that came highly rated and was the steal of the draft...(Frei)

...So why would we trade a backup - a GREAT BACKUP - who's cheap cap-hit that we likely wouldnt get anything for??? (Edwards)

Why?

It just seems silly to me,

Sutton could fetch more, and clear us more cap room.

loconet
02-25-2009, 07:49 PM
^^ You don't get rid of your veteran keeper on the potential of a new kid.

Pachuco
02-25-2009, 07:52 PM

Sutton's cap hit is big - we've got a younger guy apparently good enough to push him for minutes (likely split) that came highly rated and was the steal of the draft...(Frei)

...So why would we trade a backup - a GREAT BACKUP - who's cheap cap-hit that we likely wouldnt get anything for??? (Edwards)

Why?

Well I sure am glad you're not Mo. You want to put your entire season on two rookies, what a joke.

andyc
02-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Well I sure am glad you're not Mo. You want to put your entire season on two rookies, what a joke.

If one of the youngsters has a good run, I could see this happening either next off season or just before the deadline this year...

hodgkiss
02-25-2009, 08:04 PM
i think edwards is back up to frei who may be the go to keeper when sutton could get the call to the gold cup. i'm not a fan of three keepers with the limited roster spots but i think it just makes sense just in case someone gets an international call or is injured. and seeing that most people believe we will only get a draft pick for edwards, it doesn't seem like much then to keep him for insurance. also consider the fact that if frei is really as good as some people suggest he is, switzerland may just call him up to their squad if he gets some playing time in toronto.

Shakes McQueen
02-25-2009, 08:26 PM

Why?

1) Sutton doesn't cost us an international slot. Edwards does.
2) Sutton is a wiley veteran, who can impart some of his experience on Frei. We don't want a season with a rookie and a backup GK.
3) Trading Edwards for allocation would soften Sutton's cap hit.

Edwards will be the one to go. Guaranteed. There is no way that TFC wastes cap room on paying for three keepers, and there's no way they trade away their Canadian, or their Generation Adidas youngster with buckets of potential.

I generally like Edwards, but it just doesn't logically make sense to trade the other two. Especially if Frei is impressing as much as it's been reported.

- Scott

devioustrevor
02-25-2009, 10:14 PM
It's also possible TFC hangs onto all three keepers until after the Gold Cup in case that useless twat calls Sutton up to the National Team.

ben_vw
02-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Let's trade Edwards for Dunivat!

Hahaha. I laughed out loud at this one.

Razcle
02-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Randolph any good????

Shakes McQueen
02-25-2009, 10:28 PM
It's also possible TFC hangs onto all three keepers until after the Gold Cup in case that useless twat calls Sutton up to the National Team.

I sincerely hope they don't waste cap space on a third GK. If Sutts gets called up to play, we can put Frei in.

Considering we don't have a reserve league anymore, it just doesn't make sense to retain a third keeper.

- Scott

Dunkers
02-25-2009, 10:54 PM
I sincerely hope they don't waste cap space on a third GK. If Sutts gets called up to play, we can put Frei in.

Considering we don't have a reserve league anymore, it just doesn't make sense to retain a third keeper.

- Scott

nobody is getting traded from these 3, gen addidas (frei) does not count towards the cap, so when you compare the cap hit for GKs from last year to this year, its the same.

mabey Mo will trade one of these guys later in the season, after a clear starter has emerged, but not in the first half on the season

Nuvinho
02-25-2009, 11:15 PM
I think we will have 3 goalies until the summer transfer window opens. Then Mo can tinker with the team. If he finds a player who is available, he can then move a goalie.

We currently have 1 roster spot open for a CB (assuming Hall and Richardson sign). Do we really need to trade a goalie away to get another player who won't get playing time??

Shakes McQueen
02-25-2009, 11:23 PM
I think we will have 3 goalies until the summer transfer window opens. Then Mo can tinker with the team. If he finds a player who is available, he can then move a goalie.

We currently have 1 roster spot open for a CB (assuming Hall and Richardson sign). Do we really need to trade a goalie away to get another player who won't get playing time??

If they decide to bring in more than one defender, absolutely. We need depth at the back.

Obviously I don't care about the cap space, if it isn't going to be used - but we have two considerations: one is the aforementioned lack of depth at the back, and the other is the prospect of signing a DP in the summer transfer window.

If Frei is as impressive as Carver, and various reporters have said he is, what is the point of keeping Edwards?

I would only keep him on board, if they aren't convinced of Frei's ability, or if they don't get a good offer for him.

- Scott

Nuvinho
02-25-2009, 11:39 PM
I know what you are saying for lack od depth at the back.

I am just looking at the numbers......let's say we have $300K left in allocation money. That is $300K to sign Richardson and the new CB. Let's say that $250K is used. If we trade Edwards now for a pick......that leaves about $95K to sign another player. We could probably get a decent player. But, it doesn't leave any wiggle room in July.

Say in July we see a DP we want, we can maybe trade Frei for allocation money, or even release Sutton.

Technorgasm
02-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Whatever is left in the kitty, I would assume goes to a defender. . .

the hottest girl at teh prom. . remember?

WALK ON TFC

Nuvinho
02-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Whatever is left in the kitty, I would assume goes to a defender. . .

the hottest girl at teh prom. . remember?

WALK ON TFC

I agree......I think that the CB they are bringing in will be in the $150K to $200K range....just seems like Mo has something even bigger than what he has done up his sleeve......a CB no one would of expected.

Shakes McQueen
02-25-2009, 11:54 PM
I know what you are saying for lack od depth at the back.

I am just looking at the numbers......let's say we have $300K left in allocation money. That is $300K to sign Richardson and the new CB. Let's say that $250K is used. If we trade Edwards now for a pick......that leaves about $95K to sign another player. We could probably get a decent player. But, it doesn't leave any wiggle room in July.

Say in July we see a DP we want, we can maybe trade Frei for allocation money, or even release Sutton.

If I were Mo, I would trade Edwards for allocation instead of a draft pick - the cap space cleared up, in addition to the allocation money, would let us sign better depth on defense.

But I get your point, nonetheless.

- Scott

ensco
02-26-2009, 08:28 AM
As far as trade value goes, Frei would a much more attractive proposition to other teams due to his Generation Adidas status. I doubt it would be enough to pry a quality defender from anyone.

Frei is really a special case. He's GA, he's an international, and he's got pretty clear potential value to be sold on to Europe.

The need to use an international slot on the guy is what caused him to slip to 13 in the draft. International slots are very valuable. It mattered more than his GA status.

You can't waste international slots on backups. That's part of why I think Frei won't sit for long, and why I think Sutton's days are numbered. He either plays, or he's out of MLS

olegunnar
02-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Frei is really a special case. He's GA, he's an international, and he's got pretty clear potential value to be sold on to Europe.

The need to use an international slot on the guy is what caused him to slip to 13 in the draft. International slots are very valuable. It mattered more than his GA status.

You can't waste international slots on backups. That's part of why I think Frei won't sit for long, and why I think Sutton's days are numbered. He either plays, or he's out of MLS

Sutton is a very interesting case.

If and when we release him....I wonder who if anyone would want him.
MLS won't touch him with a 10 ft pole. The Fire experiment was a flop, he hasn't been very good with us and he's an overpaid international.
USL? Well the Canadian teams won't touch him. Montreal has a much much better Keeper and THe whitecaps seem very happy with former DC united keeper Nolly.
Maybe the new Hamilton team would take him?

So for Sutton it seems he can stay with Toronto make good money and have a head in the sand cult following...or drop off the face of the earth.

poppamidnight
02-26-2009, 10:56 AM

Pachuco, your using false reasoning...

Your whole argument is based on the fact Sutton's an all-aroung solid player...

...he's not, and he proved that to us last year....

if you remember correctly he:

1 - Started the season on MVP pace
2 - Ended the season quite a dramatic fall-off from that (even costing us 2 games if i recall correctly)

So technically if you infer w/ that, we can classify sutton as a '1/2 season goalie" who drops off at the end....
....errrr, not the type you want around come playoffs

TorontoBlades
02-26-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm pretty sure, Sutts will be beginning a transition period where he starts to be come a backup with a reduced contract, and then into more of a coaching role eventually.