PDA

View Full Version : Well-F-in-Done MoJo: DeRo & Serioux!

sidney
02-25-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm all for giving credit when it's due. And due it is, with my 2 new fav-signs DeRo & Serioux (2 Canucks to boot) + I hope Vitti will pan-out. Well done MoJo!...Let's F-in-Go Reds!!!...we have a new status of equalibrium....

Laurignano
02-25-2009, 01:42 AM
Yes... now its time for us to push for the MLS playoffs and make it into CONCACAF.

ExiledRed
02-25-2009, 01:48 AM
fuck the playoffs, and the 'all we need is ten more points than last year' mentality.

I heard it from Carver today in the fan590 interview, the way it's presented that we 'just' missed the playoffs last year, and all we needed was four more points.

Horseshit, I want the shield, the playoffs are a bonus. Coming in 8th shouldn't be our goal here.

Rhode Dawg
02-25-2009, 02:03 AM
Agreed! Although it is definetly a step, why should simply making the Playoffs be a GOAL! I, along with many others I am sure, thought making the playoffs last year would have been a good possibilty and therefore a reasonable goal.

This year, especially considering our recent acquisitions, making a big impact in the playoffs would be an acceptable goal. Along with winning the CCL, and hey why not, the Trillium Cup!

Lets Aim a little higher when setting goals!
Who knows we might even score a lot of them this year!

ensco
02-25-2009, 06:46 AM
What I want is wire-to-wire excellence, competence on the road, and an attacking style.

Whether we finish 1st, 3th, 4th, 5th depends quite a bit on luck, injuries and the refs.

But whether were a good team, playing well in every game, and fun to watch, is up to us.

Beach_Red
02-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Lets Aim a little higher when setting goals!
Who knows we might even score a lot of them this year!

If only we can score a few goals in July....

supernothingman
02-25-2009, 09:58 AM
fuck the playoffs, and the 'all we need is ten more points than last year' mentality.

I heard it from Carver today in the fan590 interview, the way it's presented that we 'just' missed the playoffs last year, and all we needed was four more points.

Horseshit, I want the shield, the playoffs are a bonus. Coming in 8th shouldn't be our goal here.

Couldn't agree more.

joel
02-25-2009, 10:02 AM
I love you, I hate you, I love you, I hate you.

rocker
02-25-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm all for giving credit when it's due. And due it is, with my 2 new fav-signs DeRo & Serioux (2 Canucks to boot) + I hope Vitti will pan-out. Well done MoJo!...Let's F-in-Go Reds!!!...we have a new status of equalibrium....

but if we still had Tyler Hemming and Tyler Rosenlund, we'd be winning the MLS Cup in November!!!! damnit MO!

Damien
02-25-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm happy for now, we look incredible on paper... let's see how the team performs outside of preseason.

Hitcho
02-25-2009, 10:24 AM
I think demanding the league title because we've signed three players, one of whom has no MLS experience and whose career has been stalled at best recently (despite his potential) is a bit blinkered, even with the three decent draft picks we scored.

Defintiely we should all be aiming for a big improvement this season, but I'm more with ensco in that it's more realistic to expect a solid season which sees us play with consistency and attacking verve as a unit. To go from (basically) last for our first two seasons to wining the league title in our third is possible but not a realistic thing to demand - and it also puts way too much pressure on De Ro as he starts his TFC career.

I think we'll do well this season, and I would imagine the whole squad and coaching staff think so too, but we need to just let the guys get on with it and not put too much pressure on them. SS or MLS Cup wins are definitely possible this season, and to be hoped for of course, but not demanded.

Also, as supporters we have a HUGE job to do in April and May - roar the boys on to a run of home wins and really set them up nicely for the second half of the season when they'll be on the road a lot. Getting down on them if we don't start taking maximum points with fantasy football being played from the get go would be a massive fuck up on our part.

nobodybeatsthewiz
02-25-2009, 10:26 AM
If only we can score a few goals in July....

no away to chicago in july this yr.

look back at the last 2 yrs worth of results. our season has taken the turn for 'done' RIGHT after the early-to-mid away to chicago's.

denime
02-25-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm going to quote B.Knight from his last blog,since I think he is right on spot with this comment:

Those nine early home games are going to be so crucial. This is pretty much THE roster, and they have to click early. Spending that much time in front of the home support – who will ecstatically cheer all progress, and won’t settle for half effort – should give the lads the launch they are going to need.
http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/02/24/on-schedule/

We have 24 days to the start of 09 season,that should be enough time with roster already in place.One player here or there will not change the chemistry of the team as it is right now.

Hitcho
02-25-2009, 10:38 AM
^ maybe, but there's an awful lot of understanding required between two new CBs to form an effective and solid partnership. you can;t just dump two players in there who you think are good and expect them to be a cohesive unit. they need time to work out who holds the line, who covers the runners and who hold sposition, who gets forward and who stays back and who marshalls the full backs and communicates with the keeper. all good CB partnerships are formed over time as they forge an understanding. in that respect, 24 days isn't much. so if we are going to sign another CB, i hope it's sooner rather than later.

rocker
02-25-2009, 10:44 AM
it's hard to say what will happen because we can't look at our team in isolation. Yes, the lineup looks better on paper. But what have other MLS teams done, either to fall back or make gains? We could improve, but so could 8 other teams ahead of us. I also believe this league is so close that all you need is 2 extra wins turning your season from a disappointment to a perceived success.

Stryker
02-25-2009, 11:10 AM

Agreed. The first order of business will obviously be taking care of business and dominating the other two Canadian clubs as we should in the Nutralite Cup.
Second will be giving Columbus the bitch slapping they deserve and taking back the Trillium Cup.
It may be a meaningless piece of trash but its something Columbus took by being the better of our two teams in a 3 game series. THAT along with our hatred of Columbus,
thier fans, Schelotto and Archer make it worth something. Happily the series will be concluded early in the season with our final game being played in Columbus on July 25th.
All the while of course we'll be pushing for a chance to take the supporters shield and eventually win the playoffs.
:hump:

TFC Via Buffalo
02-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Agreed. The first order of business will obviously be taking care of business and dominating the other two Canadian clubs as we should in the Nutralite Cup.
Second will be giving Columbus the bitch slapping they deserve and taking back the Trillium Cup.
It may be a meaningless piece of trash but its something Columbus took by being the better of our two teams in a 3 game series. THAT along with our hatred of Columbus,
thier fans, Schelotto and Archer make it worth something. Happily the series will be concluded early in the season with our final game being played in Columbus on July 25th.
All the while of course we'll be pushing for a chance to take the supporters shield and eventually win the playoffs.

This. Every week, there has been something getting me more and more excited for this season to get under way. Kansas City stands no chance.

Oldtimer
02-25-2009, 12:11 PM
It's clear recently that a lot of the venom spouted against Mo over the last two years has been untrue, not just on this board, but the U-Sector and Voyageurs boards, as well:

"Mo hates Canadians" - this idea came up when Mo released Reda and Braz, and complained about the quality of some of the Canadians. Getting DeRo and Serioux should put this one to rest.

"Mo only signs players represented by Barry MacLean" - A lot of the early players were represented by Mr. MacLean. Given that MacLean is the largest agent in Canada, it's not surprising. However, that is no longer true. DeRo, Serioux, Vitti, and all of the draft picks this year save Kyle Hall are represented by other agents.

"Mo only signs players from the British Isles" "Mo doesn't appreciate Latin-style playing " - Vitti and Guevara prove this wrong.

"Mo won't do anything until after the season starts" - In 2008 that was true, and it was probably due to him wanting to let Carver form his own squad, as well as the time it took to get Carver to sign. In 2009 he's done nearly everything the team has needed before the season started.

"Mo will micro-manage Carver, look at him standing at the touchline!" - after the first few matches in 2008, he let JC do his own thing, without interference.

"Mo promised he'd sign for Celtic, then turned around and signed with Rangers!" - that much is true, will forever be true, and is probably a large part to do with why he is still disliked in some quarters.

ensco
02-25-2009, 01:44 PM
^Oldtimer, do you think that Mo is reacting to the supporters? Has he done all this in response to criticism on the RPB and U-Sector boards? Or would he have done it anyway? I wonder.

sidney
02-25-2009, 01:52 PM
^Oldtimer, do you think that Mo is reacting to the supporters? Has he done all this in response to criticism on the RPB and U-Sector boards? Or would he have done it anyway? I wonder.

Of course!!!....we RPB'ers are all powerful!!! and wise!!! and lovable!!! and....

Oldtimer
02-25-2009, 01:54 PM

One might well wonder, however, MoJo has never shown himself sensitive to supporters' feelings, otherwise he never would have signed for Rangers. ;)

Damien
02-25-2009, 02:07 PM

He would have done it anyway, he's in his last year of a contract (i believe), so no results means mo goes through the carousel of progress... and by progress, i mean unemployment.

BoltonTFC
02-25-2009, 04:26 PM

To me it didn't sound like he meant that at all. To me it sounded like, we only missed the playoffs by 4 points and with what we have done in the off-season we'll be ok but we're not done yet. I like what I heard.

jloome
02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Good realistic goals:

-- We finish ahead of Columbus (because Chicago may well win the east this year)
-- We make the playoffs.
-- We win the cup and get champion's league next year

GhostPK
02-26-2009, 10:32 PM

Woah, doesn't that include screwing Cowlumbus out of all their currently held trophies (minus the Nutralite cup)? I'm all for it!!!:D:canada:

King Tut
02-26-2009, 10:41 PM

Don't forget NEE....99.999% (maybe even 100%, just don't wanna say 100%) of NEE hated his guts last year and were very vocal about it. ;)

King Tut
02-26-2009, 10:42 PM
But yes I have to admit Mo has picked up some great players this off-season. I am impressed and give Mo two thumbs up for his great work this off-season. Trully, if the signings flop for whatever reason, we can't blame Mo. All the signings have great potential and were worth the gamble.

Well Done Mojo!

GeorgeB
02-26-2009, 10:48 PM
But yes I have to admit Mo has picked up some great players this off-season. I am impressed and give Mo two thumbs up for his great work this off-season. Trully, if the signings flop for whatever reason, we can't blame Mo. All the signings have great potential and were worth the gamble.

Well Done Mojo! wow, i need to print this quote out.i didnt know you were capable.

bhoybobby
02-26-2009, 11:31 PM

Spot on, but, Kudo's to Mo so far, Now get working on depth. Feck me, I've got Montral envy after last night. We missed an opportunity last season, let that be the 1st & last time we miss that boat.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Good realistic goals:

-- We finish ahead of Columbus (because Chicago may well win the east this year)
-- We make the playoffs.
-- We win the cup and get champion's league next year

yeah, i tend to stay on the realistic side of things.
Id love to see us win the league and take the CL but we arent there yet, doesnt mean we cant set our goals high

Cashcleaner
02-27-2009, 12:29 AM

Ha! That would be something, wouldn't it? The cynical half of me would say its completely possible, but I doubt Mo spends any time here on the forums. Would be kinda cool if we could pick up some credit for the new turnaround, though. ;)

ExiledRed
02-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Ha! That would be something, wouldn't it? The cynical half of me would say its completely possible, but I doubt Mo spends any time here on the forums. Would be kinda cool if we could pick up some credit for the new turnaround, though. ;)

Nothing terrifies me more than the thought that this board might influence decisions at that level.

It's great if we can influence shit like fieldturf, beer prices, security etc... but the idea we might lose a decent player because he gets vilified on here is scary.

king dave
02-27-2009, 01:32 AM
Just clicked in here and wow.
I = ANTI-MOE.

But Ian has convinced me to give this 'Douchebag' another chance.
I think I am going soft in my old age.
Love ya Ian!
KD.

King Tut
02-27-2009, 02:44 AM
wow, i need to print this quote out.i didnt know you were capable.

Fuck off. I'll give credit when and where it's due. :D

When nothing was done, I also didn't have a problem voicing my opinion in the stands and to Mo Johnston himself.

That's how I roll, Georgie. :p

Cambridge_Red
02-27-2009, 03:14 AM
It is what it is

Super
02-27-2009, 03:51 AM
I think Mo is awesome. We now have a team that is going to be seriously ready to take on the season by storm. Good on ya, Mo. You're the man. And yes, we'll rag on ya if it doesn't work - but that's the nature of the game. :)

Steve
02-27-2009, 08:25 AM

This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on these forums (and there have been some doosies).

Are you seriously suggesting Mo is only doing his job because people on some internet message board complained? Do you think that if this board didn't exist, he would have just sat on his ass playing FIFA09? That just seems like an excuse to me to try to take some credit, and not give it to Mo.

Mo did well, you had nothing to do with it.

Luanda
02-27-2009, 11:04 AM

HUMMMMMMMMMM. When did TFC win the Trillium Cup? Have RPBs missed something?

ensco
02-27-2009, 12:13 PM
This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on these forums (and there have been some doosies).

Are you seriously suggesting Mo is only doing his job because people on some internet message board complained? Do you think that if this board didn't exist, he would have just sat on his ass playing FIFA09? That just seems like an excuse to me to try to take some credit, and not give it to Mo.

Mo did well, you had nothing to do with it.

1) I am generally not a Mo basher, I've had issues with Carver, so "I" had nothing to do with it to begin with
2) I am seriously suggesting that the fans/supporters have a major influence on decisions taken by managements of many teams. I don't think it's ridiculous at all. You believe what you want.

Stryker
02-27-2009, 12:24 PM
HUMMMMMMMMMM. When did TFC win the Trillium Cup? Have RPBs missed something?
I think "taking back" clearly indicates that they (Columbus) have the cup.
Reading comprehension FAIL.

Nomad
02-27-2009, 12:29 PM
I think "taking back" clearly indicates that they (Columbus) have the cup.
Reading comprehension FAIL.

"taking back" indicates prior possession.

EPIC FAIL for Stryker.

Hitcho
02-27-2009, 12:33 PM
^ Nomad is right. You cannot reclaim something you never had.

olegunnar
02-27-2009, 12:43 PM
We should sign Mo to a series of 1 yr contracts.

Seems to me when he has leeway to loaf (3 yr contract/low expectations because it's an expansion team) he spends too much time at the pub and ends up with a runny nose.

This is a contract year, or at least a make or break year, so there's no leeway...and so far so good

Stryker
02-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Prior possession in that it was was previously unclaimed and thus just as much ours as theirs. Supporters sense of entitlement and all. Questionable? Sure.
No less questionable then those who identify themselves with a team as "we".
Are they a part of the organization? Have they taken the field in TFC uniform?
Obviously not. Are we all guilty of it? Absolutely.

Luanda
02-27-2009, 12:44 PM
"taking back" indicates prior possession.

EPIC FAIL for Stryker.

Some one who understands the nuances of the English language.

Nomad
02-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Prior possession in that it was was previously unclaimed and thus just as much ours as theirs. Supporters sense of entitlement and all. Questionable? Sure.
No less questionable then those who identify themselves with a team as "we".
Are they a part of the organization? Have they taken the field in TFC uniform?
Obviously not. Are we all guilty of it? Absolutely.

Huh? :noidea:

Quit while you're behind, you don't want to go any further.

Troll
02-27-2009, 01:36 PM

Seems to me when he has leeway to loaf (3 yr contract/low expectations because it's an expansion team) he spends too much time at the pub and ends up with a runny nose.

This is a contract year, or at least a make or break year, so there's no leeway...and so far so good

Everybodies a critic. i'd like to see how quick you guys could turn an expansion team into a serious contender with the rediculous domestic player requirements.

jloome
02-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Huh? :noidea:

Quit while you're behind, you don't want to go any further.

Humility dude. It was wrong, that's all. Everybody's wrong lots of the time. It's not a mark of shame.

Beach_Red
02-27-2009, 08:11 PM

We look at what happened this off season and don't really consider that maybe it took longer to get done. Are these signings and deals the result of a couple months work this off season, or work that's continued for the last three years? We don't really know.

When the DeRo trade happened we heard how TFC had been after him since the start of the team. Maybe it could have happened sooner, or maybe if we'd kept changing managers every year it would have taken longer.

It's starting to look like TFC has spent a few years manipulating the weird MLS roster rules to build a solid core and sign them to long-term contracts.

Maybe it could have all happened in one off season, maybe not.

Nomad
02-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Humility dude. It was wrong, that's all. Everybody's wrong lots of the time. It's not a mark of shame.

It is a mark of shame when not only will you not admit you are wrong, but you bust out the (ironic) "FAIL" on someone.

This is neither here nor there though as this was 7 hours ago. Old news, all but forgotten until you dredged it back up. :p

jloome
02-27-2009, 08:35 PM
It is a mark of shame when not only will you not admit you are wrong, but you bust out the (ironic) "FAIL" on someone.

This is neither here nor there though as this was 7 hours ago. Old news, all but forgotten until you dredged it back up. :p

I was referring to his argument dude, not your comment.

TFC RealDeal RPB
02-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Im so glad with all the signings Mo has made. This year feels right, a Toronto team that looks like they will do something for the city sports, cause we all know how the rest of the Toronto teams R doing.