PDA

View Full Version : Where does Dichio fit?

mastermixer
02-24-2009, 08:49 PM
A lot has changed in the past few months on this squad. Last year Dichio was one of the few go-to guys, and did say that he wouldnt have re-signed with TFC if he didnt expect to start next season. Now that Vitti and Barrett seem to be the guys up front, where does that leave DD. I still think he's got some kick left, but can he compete for that starting job? Can he accept the role as a bench player?

Pachuco
02-24-2009, 08:51 PM
A lot has changed in the past few months on this squad. Last year Dichio was one of the few go-to guys, and did say that he wouldnt have re-signed with TFC if he didnt expect to start next season. Now that Vitti and Barrett seem to be the guys up front, where does that leave DD. I still think he's got some kick left, but can he compete for that starting job? Can he accept the role as a bench player?

Realistically Dichio may start here and there. Can't expect both Vitti and Barrett to be healthy and to play every game.

Having said that, I say, whoever is scoring goals plays. Let Carver make the decision as to who's starting game 1 based on preseason. At that point, it's the 2 starters job's to not lose their starting role. You never know, you could see barrett or Vitti on the bench to start the season.

TorontoBlades
02-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Dichio is coming in when we have a 2-0 lead in the 60th minute when Carver wants to keep the opposition's defence honest.

Broadview
02-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Super sub :)

He'll get his minutes. The team always played better when he was in the lineup.

bee dubya
02-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Dichio will also likely be used to change tactics if things are stagnant up front. He's a big target and causes a lot of defences trouble when he comes on.

It's also worth noting that Dichio didn't start in the opening game last season but he worked his way into a starting role very quickly. The same might be true this year. Like Pachuco said, we need to see who scores before any long term decisions are made.

ExiledRed
02-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Dichio is better than Barrett. He should be able to win his spot.

nascarguy
02-24-2009, 08:58 PM
dichio is a super sub or he will be if we get kenny cooper

loconet
02-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Barret and Vitti up front most of the time. Dichio as a sub. If either of the kids is injured, Dichio will start.

ginkster88
02-24-2009, 09:03 PM

Seriously? I think it's safe to say we don't need to pursue Kenny Cooper at this point, unless he also happens to be as good a defender as he is a forward...

Nuvinho
02-24-2009, 09:16 PM
The 2 subs that will be used alot this year: Dichio and Cronin

If we are up, Cronin comes in for one of our attacking midfielders at the 60 minute mark or for a forward. Dichio comes in for a forward at the 70 minute mark.

If we need a goal, Dichio comes on earlier.

Smith comes on if the other defense looks like they are tired or look slow.

joesoccerfan
02-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Definitely our first man off the bench and a spot starter when injuries/suspensions/scoring slump hit Barrett or Vitti.

Jeff s
02-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Dichio Will start once Barrett reminds us how shit his shots are.

ben_vw
02-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Last year Dichio was one of the few go-to guys, and did say that he wouldnt have re-signed with TFC if he didnt expect to start next season.

He definitely didn't say this.

He said he wasn't going to sit back with a bench role, but work his ass off and push for a starting position.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Dichio is a bench player, a power bench player at that, he doesnt mind as hes had its share of starting and he is an impact player but hes also prone to injury and getting older. Obviously we still love him and he knows it

Kooper
02-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Dichio is a bench player, a power bench player at that, he doesnt mind as hes had its share of starting and he is an impact player but hes also prone to injury and getting older. Obviously we still love him and he knows it

The 3rd striker gets good playing time. They can count on playing the last 30 minutes of most games and starting the occasional game when injuries or fixtures pile up. With one pulled hamstring or a torn ACL he will have a very busy season and we will be asking one question. "With Danny Dichio as our Second striker, who is covering him?"

He still has an important place in the team.
Bruce

djking2
02-24-2009, 10:21 PM
In due respect to Danny. where-ever the fuck he wants.

and I also think he knows what makes sense at this point

Ossington Mental Youth
02-24-2009, 10:26 PM
The 3rd striker gets good playing time. They can count on playing the last 30 minutes of most games and starting the occasional game when injuries or fixtures pile up. With one pulled hamstring or a torn ACL he will have a very busy season and we will be asking one question. "With Danny Dichio as our Second striker, who is covering him?"

He still has an important place in the team.
Bruce

yep, well said

maninb
02-24-2009, 10:44 PM

LOL! Yeah we really want a guy who will bolt for Europe the first chance he gets and already makes big bucks! Surely you can't be serious! :)

tlear
02-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Dichio has proven himself time an time again for us, Barret did decent before.. Vitti is still an unknown I think. A lot will depend on how good Vitti really is and who will he work better with Barret or Dichio. I can see Dichio being a better partner for Vitti. Or Vitti might bomb and Barret Dichio will become our normal starting striker duo

Wynn - Serioux - Velez - Brennan
------- Robbo
- Rickets -- Guevara -- De Ro
-------- Dichio -- Vitti

Blizzard
02-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Don't forget Ibby! He'll be getting some time as well!

BuSaPuNk
02-24-2009, 11:39 PM
We have to use Dichio alot this year....off the bench or not. Who else is going to take advantage of the Serioux long throw?

TorontoBlades
02-24-2009, 11:44 PM
^ Vitti has shown so far in the pre season that he has skill in the air....plus apparently we have Jackie Chan on trial....imagine that shit off a throw in :)

giambac
02-25-2009, 11:31 AM

Where does DD fit?
Where does DD sit ?

Hope about pegged down on the bench.

Old , slow and injury prone. Use hima as an assitant coach to help the younge rplayers.

ExiledRed
02-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Where does DD fit?
Where does DD sit ?

Hope about pegged down on the bench.

Old , slow and injury prone. Use hima as an assitant coach to help the younge rplayers.

Come on now, he is technically Italian.

ExiledRed
02-25-2009, 11:43 AM
T-NfJCveHdA

Giambac, this video is especially for you. Hope you enjoy the accompanying rap music.

Damien
02-25-2009, 11:43 AM

QFT!

Hitcho
02-25-2009, 11:50 AM
WTF??!! Way too many people on here have written DD off and have him down as a guaranteed bench warmer, only coming on for the last 20 or 30 mins of games to defend a slender lead. Sorry guys, but that's bullshit!

1. What he actually said was he wouldn't have come back if he didn't think he could do a job for the team and be pushing for a starting place. He can, and he will.

2. He's not the "third striker", he is one of three main strikers. There's a big difference. DD will start plenty of games. You don't go into a season with just two strikers, that's madness, and neither OBW nor Fuad are ready to be first choice starters yet.

3. He's already bagged a brace in pre-season and he'll have much better service this year than he has ever had at TFC. He'll get goals, and may even end up as our top scorer. He knows the league and has shown in the past he can deliver when it matters.

4. He offers something that none of our other strikers do - a big physical presence, significant aerial threat and the ability to dictate play with his back to goal. This alone will see him start some games just from a tactical perspective, especially away from home.

Don't write Dichio off yet guys. I have a feeling we'll be seeing plenty of him and will get more than a few chances to sing the Dichio song outside of the 24th minute.

Carts
02-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Dichio may be more valuable as a sub in some circumstances / starter as others / with Vitti or with Barrett etc...

Remember Barrett has had 'gramping' problems in the past (some say that's bad fitness)... Dichio, is getting up there in years... So, Barrett plays a hard 60-minutes, and Dichio comes in and plays a hard 30-minutes...

Dichio starts and is starting to fade on a hot day as the game goes on, a fresh Barrett comes in...

One is slumping? The other is starting...?

A certain game Vitti is not affective as a veteran defender has shut him down, a physical Dichio comes in and has the experience to work through him...

A team has good size on the backline - Dichio starts to battle with them in the air...

I actually see this as a good thing - options. Base the pairing on the opponent and circumstances...

A one trick pony is easy to figure out... Keep'em guessing...

Carts...

Hitcho
02-25-2009, 11:57 AM

I'm surprised at this comment from you Oss! I definitely don't agree with it and we often see things the same on these boards, but more importantly DD has NEVER acknowledged that he "doesn't mind" being a bench player, nor would he! He actually said he would have retired if that was the case - you're usually better informed than that mate! ;) :D

Hitcho
02-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Dichio may be more valuable as a sub in some circumstances / starter as others / with Vitti or with Barrett etc...

Remember Barrett has had 'gramping' problems in the past (some say that's bad fitness)... Dichio, is getting up there in years... So, Barrett plays a hard 60-minutes, and Dichio comes in and plays a hard 30-minutes...

Dichio starts and is starting to fade on a hot day as the game goes on, a fresh Barrett comes in...

A certain game Vitti is not affective as a veteran defender has shut him down, a physical Dichio comes in and has the experience to work through him...

A team has good size on the backline - Dichio starts to battle with them in the air...

I actually see this as a good thing - options. Base the pairing on the opponent and circumstances...

Carts...

EXACTLY. That's where all of our three main strikers fit in. None of them are guaranteed a starting spot, or even a spot on the bench, and neither JC nor DD would have it any other way.

Horses for courses. TFC will be a different proposition this season, and DD will be a part of that for sure, as a starter and as a sub.

Ossington Mental Youth
I'm surprised at this comment from you Oss! I definitely don't agree with it and we often see things the same on these boards, but more importantly DD has NEVER acknowledged that he "doesn't mind" being a bench player, nor would he! He actually said he would have retired if that was the case - you're usually better informed than that mate! ;) :D

HAHAHA
we can let this one slip right?:)
I guess if anything I see Vitti and Barrett taking the lions share of first 11 play, i wont be disappointed if our Dichio gets in there by anymeans
perhaps its projection on my part?

massive_magpie
In due respect to Danny. where-ever the fuck he wants.

and I also think he knows what makes sense at this point

agreed; even after he decides to retire they should build a throne at the end of the bench and pay DD a token salary to sit there for each home game and spur our boys on.

werewolf
02-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Dichio fits ahead of a player that has 14 goals in 97 league games, and another that has 22 goals in 95 league games plus this video;

G-NzDwwTb6o

(though I hope with all my heart those stats are indicative of whats to come)

Pachuco
02-25-2009, 12:05 PM

I could see Ibby playing more on the wing this year. Seems like he's more likely to get playing time there since the wings aren't as saturated as the strikers. He played there last year and was decent.

Section 117
02-25-2009, 12:08 PM

Carts...

Completely agreed. Best post in a while.

When I met him at one of the pub crawls we discussed his role going forward and he understands that he won't be starting every game. He spoke about giving his knowledge and understanding of the game to the younger players.

Also, it depends on who we play. If a team we play has very physical CB DD will probably play cause Barret and Vitti are on the smaller size.

If the team we play has quick CB then I can see him coming off the bench.

Hitcho
02-25-2009, 12:12 PM
HAHAHA
we can let this one slip right?:)
I guess if anything I see Vitti and Barrett taking the lions share of first 11 play, i wont be disappointed if our Dichio gets in there by anymeans
perhaps its projection on my part?

Hehe, I've already forgotten about it mate!

I think DD will surprise a few people this season. I think the combination of Vitti arriving to great fanfare and DD being out with concussion for a lot of last season has left people looking past Dichio when it comes to the starting XI, but I'm pretty sure JC isn't thinking that way. He would never want any player to be comfortable that they will always start, and JC and Mo would not have re-signed DD this season to be a fondly remebered bench warmer - they would have let him go from the roster and brought in someone else.

If he stays injury free, then I think Dichio will be working some more magic this season. Would you honestly bet against him getting a late goal in our first ever post season game at BMO Field (a la NER in the final game of 2007)? I wouldn't!!

Ossington Mental Youth
02-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Good points McCartney/117 and Hitcho

Ossington Mental Youth
02-25-2009, 12:13 PM
God i cant wait to fucking see!!!!

Mark in Ottawa
02-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Danny D. is gonna do what he does best... strike fear! :eek:

He will work his socks off and strike fear into the other strikers that if they don't do the same he will take their spot!

He will sit on the bench and strike fear into his team mates on the field that if they don't give it there all they may have to answer to him later!

He will strike fear into the opposition that he may come off the bench with something to prove!

And lastly he will strike anything but fear into the hearts of TFC fans who know he is always gonna give the honest effort, be a mentor for those teammates who need it and keep providing us with that cue to get singing every game at the "magic time".

Hitcho
02-25-2009, 12:36 PM
^ agreed, but again - don't assume DD will just be a bench player and only start games if vitti or CB are not performing well enough. I would expect him to start games based entirely on merit. Not all of them, but then none of the three main strikers will do that. The point is, they're a trio and all are of equal value to the team this season on paper because they all have different strengths and assets.

Hitcho
02-25-2009, 12:37 PM
God i cant wait to fucking see!!!!

Yeah me too - I think this is another situation though where we can sit back and safely say "In Carver We Trust". He'll get the homework done and decide who should start up front for any given game. And if it doesn't go according to plan, we'll have one of Vitti, CB and Dichio on the bench to shake things up, alongside Ibby and later in the season OBW. How amazing is that compared to previous seasons?! :hump:

ExiledRed
02-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Dichio has scored more goals for TFC than any other player, he's also set up more than a couple. His plays are intelligent, his goals are usually attractive, and his passing is excellent.

There is not a member of our squad (except maybe DeRo) who can read the game as well he does and the team plays much better when he is on the pitch.

Despite missing a shitload of games in both seasons, he still came out as our top scorer both times and it pains to me to think how many he would have bagged for us were it not for the concussion.

The man is not done yet, he'll win that spot, he's got a massive heart, and I expect to see more of those elegant, well placed goals this season.

Hitcho
02-25-2009, 12:53 PM
^ QFT x 1,000,000,000,000

Luanda
02-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Point is, whether DD starts or not, we have options! And that is plural, not singular!
He will start some and sub some, depending on the particular context.

nascarguy
02-25-2009, 01:06 PM
here guys look at this

------- Robbo---Schelotto---------
-------- Dichio -- Vitti

...lol come on mo get to work

ExiledRed
02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
here guys look at this

-------- Dichio -- Vitti

easy on the crack boy.

Cambridge_Red
02-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Just glad we have some depth.

Hitcho
02-25-2009, 01:21 PM
here guys look at this

-------- Dichio -- Vitti

wtf? either we're playing without a keeper or you're going to try and pull a fast one by starting 12 players every game nas!

either way, get rid of the diving whore and replace velez with another CB at least as good as Serioux (or ideally better). then watch us go.

Yohan
02-25-2009, 01:27 PM
lol@schelotto comment

ensco
02-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Dichio has scored more goals for TFC than any other player, he's also set up more than a couple. His plays are intelligent, his goals are usually attractive, and his passing is excellent.

There is not a member of our squad (except maybe DeRo) who can read the game as well he does and the team plays much better when he is on the pitch.

Despite missing a shitload of games in both seasons, he still came out as our top scorer both times and it pains to me to think how many he would have bagged for us were it not for the concussion.

The man is not done yet, he'll win that spot, he's got a massive heart, and I expect to see more of those elegant, well placed goals this season.

If we have a poll on who scores the most goals this season (not who plays the most minutes, or who starts the season), DD will get my vote.

He's the man, until someone else takes it from him.

anto7
02-25-2009, 01:57 PM
If we have a poll on who scores the most goals this season (not who plays the most minutes, or who starts the season), DD will get my vote.

He's the man, until someone else takes it from him.
O.K. , start up that poll ensco !

mastermixer
02-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Dichio was the master of receiving the long-ball feeds, and now that we got a solid midfield I think this will make him even more effective. Bottom line is I can't wait to see this team go at it this season!

BoltonTFC
02-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Super sub and spot starter on occasion. As said above he can be a nice change of pace to throw at the other team.

trane
02-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Dichio belongs in front of the opposing net, until someone proves otherwise he is still our best striker. He is injury prone, and he may have to spend time on the bench, but if you need a goal DD needs to be in the game.

AL-MO
02-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Realistically Dichio may start here and there. Can't expect both Vitti and Barrett to be healthy and to play every game.

Having said that, I say, whoever is scoring goals plays. Let Carver make the decision as to who's starting game 1 based on preseason. At that point, it's the 2 starters job's to not lose their starting role. You never know, you could see barrett or Vitti on the bench to start the season.

I agree with this. I see him starting some games, coming off the bench in others depending on the situation.

trane
02-25-2009, 06:24 PM
^ I did not read it initialy but I agree with this as well, when it come to strikers forget, who looks like what on paper, it is all very simple; who puts the ball in the back of the net plays. BOTTOM LINE.

Kooper
02-25-2009, 08:28 PM

I think Ibby will be the sub this year and play more reserve games than senior team games. He is still very young and needs to develop. He played so much last year because we were so short of forwards. He looked a boy among men during the late season games.

Kooper
02-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Hehe, I've already forgotten about it mate!

I think DD will surprise a few people this season. I think the combination of Vitti arriving to great fanfare and DD being out with concussion for a lot of last season has left people looking past Dichio when it comes to the starting XI, but I'm pretty sure JC isn't thinking that way. He would never want any player to be comfortable that they will always start, and JC and Mo would not have re-signed DD this season to be a fondly remebered bench warmer - they would have let him go from the roster and brought in someone else.

If he stays injury free, then I think Dichio will be working some more magic this season. Would you honestly bet against him getting a late goal in our first ever post season game at BMO Field (a la NER in the final game of 2007)? I wouldn't!!

We are blessed with 3 very different strikers. Vitti is more skill and speed, DD is power and Barret is a bit of both. Carver will make them work and play them as needed and depending on the opponent. I still think it will be Vitti and Barrett as the main strike force.

AL-MO
02-25-2009, 08:39 PM
I think Ibby will be the sub this year and play more reserve games than senior team games. He is still very young and needs to develop. He played so much last year because we were so short of forwards. He looked a boy among men during the late season games.

The reserve league is not longer....(as far as I know)

Shakes McQueen
02-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Dichio will probably play a mix of super-sub, and starter when the tactics call for it.

Fuad, White, and Hall will probably be late subs, when we have games in the bag.

I suspect Vitti and Barrett will get the majority of starts, however. Vitti is for sure going to start most games, and Carver has said he thinks Barrett can get over 20 goals this season - which indicates starting a lot of games.

- Scott

Derko
02-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Dichio fits ahead of a player that has 14 goals in 97 league games, and another that has 22 goals in 95 league games plus this video;

G-NzDwwTb6o

(though I hope with all my heart those stats are indicative of whats to come)

It appears that most of those missed chances came from very uncomposed and rushed strikes, perhaps this year not so much.
I see Chad Barrett gaining more confidence and therefore scoring more goals. Hell Cunningham had a hard time scoring on the doorstep and that was from a supposed League leading veteran. I am willing to be optimistic.
And yes I think D.D. will score his share as well.

druid
02-26-2009, 07:33 AM
Dichio's getting on and the artificial turf doesn't do him any favors.

Resting him more often and letting him recover fully after games and injuries might do him a world of good.