PDA

View Full Version : Shakespoll: Are you pleased with the off-season?

Shakes McQueen
02-23-2009, 07:06 PM
The thread title says it all: Given our obvious roster needs at the conclusion of the 2008 season, are you satisfied with everything that has transpired to date?

- Signed Pablo Vitti on loan from Independiente
- Drafted Stefan Frei, Sam Cronin, O'Brien White, and Kyle Hall.
- Traded Julius James and allocation for DeRo
- Traded Tyrone Marshall for allocation
- Re-signed Ricketts, Robinson, and Dichio.
- Traded ??? for Adrian Serioux (lets just assume this for conversation's sake, since it appears to be imminent)
- Did not use our Designated Player slot

With all of this in mind - are you satisfied? What specifically would you have done differently? Are you upset that Mo didn't use our DP slot?

As our roster starts to stabilize, what do you think are our prospects for this season?

- Scott

supernothingman
02-23-2009, 07:20 PM
I wanted DP.

Hold on, that didn't sound right...

MartinUtd
02-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Only thing that prevented me from strongly agreeing is the CB situation. Assuming Serioux is in, we still need one more.

All in all I'm happy with the draft and the trades. I still think the DP might be an option after half way point, but I'm not holding my breath.

mclaren
02-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Can't say we've had a terrific off-season. Our off-season has been OK. We have added an excellent player in DeRo but our central defence is still very weak and we don't have what you could consider a proven top goalscorer in this league. Maybe Barrett will turn into this but maybe he won't. We also haven't bought a DP who, if purchased wisely, would add strength to the squad and that extra bit of class that we sorely needed last season.

Stouffville_RPB
02-23-2009, 07:40 PM
With all the limitations of MLS, yes, we had a terrific offseason. No team had a better off-season than us.

Shakes McQueen
02-23-2009, 07:40 PM
I was really disappointed that Mo didn't use our DP slot, right up until we finalized the deal for Vitti. I've seen footage of Vitti, and the kid really is a tremendous talent. Couple that with his performance in our exhibition matches, and I'm really satisfied with our offensive acquisitions.

I also think Mo has it right, in waiting to see what is available during the summer transfer window. All of the best DP options aren't going to be sitting at home unsigned, during the winter. They are going to be playing, and signed to contracts. Come the end of the season for the European leagues, perhaps we can land a real impact player.

Nonetheless, I picked "agree" - our defense lacks a bit of depth, but I still think it has gotten BETTER since last year, assuming Serioux lands here. Couple that with the shot in the arm our attacking positions have gotten, and I expect a marked improvement.

- Scott

BuSaPuNk
02-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Overall big improvements up front with the addition of Vitti. Give us more options and hopefully a true striker that can bag some goals for us. DeRo and Cronin in the middle makes our midfield probably the best in the leauge. (Even though I think it already was) With the (most likely) aquisition of Serioux our backend is better but there is room for improvement. Overall if the trialist from Portugal stays and starts we I beileve from front and back are made to make a long run in the postseason this year.

If we keep this group of players and land a DP in the offseason from overseas we will be a force in this leauge for a while.

Pachuco
02-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Sign one CB and I'll be somewhat pleased with the offseason. Signed Two and I'll be extatic.

Marco2K
02-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Hey i am not a MO Lover but i voted for STRONGLY AGREE

We got Dero
We got Vitti.
And this was done before March.

Think about where we were last year.

last year i would have voted for STRONGLY DISAGREE

Brooker
02-23-2009, 09:04 PM
the off season isnt over.... im confused

we have DeRo, Vitti, and 3 good looking draft picks.

so far so good. just need that CB and i'll be more than satisfied.

Yohan
02-23-2009, 09:08 PM
With all the limitations of MLS, yes, we had a terrific offseason. No team had a better off-season than us.
what he said

egoodwin
02-23-2009, 09:12 PM
how could you not be pleased?

mighty_torontofc_2008
02-23-2009, 09:12 PM
the off season has gone well, and has the prospect of a playoff spot more likely.

canadian_bhoy
02-23-2009, 09:13 PM
I think we had a much improved offseason from last year. DeRo is the clubs biggest signing ever and you have to give credit to Mo, who has been chasing this deal for 2 years.

I also think the Vitti deal is a tremendous piece of business. I'm confident that he will do well for us and it seems like a win win situation the way the club has negotiated the deal.

Dissapointed that we didn't get a CB, but all indications are that the player kinda "screwed" us. However, I think that the "putting all your eggs in one basket" approach leads to these type of situations. We needed more than one CB option, now it looks like we will settle for some mid-high range current MLS player.

All in all, I'm pretty excited for the new season. We may be slightly weaker defensivly, but we now have a team that can score 3 or 4 goals in a match. I think more than anything, matches will be more fun to watch this season.

trane
02-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I think we had a good of season, terrific is too strong of a word. I think that De Ro was a terrific signing and Vitti was a good signing, or at least looks good, but I am uneasy about the back, which makes me have to say that I disagree that it was terrific. However, it has been good.

peter_tfc
02-23-2009, 09:21 PM
To those that put Agree I have to ask: How can it possibly have been better considering that the coveted Centre Back we've been lacking is the same Centre Back every other team is looking for.

Super Cereal
02-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Agreed.

I wanted a DP, and a good CB.

Loved the signing of Pablo Vitti, hope he does well, DeRo is great. Liked our draft picks, O'Brian White I strongly believe will be a very good striker. I'm also a Serioux fan, so that's another positive.

Wasn't perfect, but no offseason ever is. Mo exceeded expectations in my eyes, so I definitely agree.

GuelphStorm2007
02-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I am happy with the way the off season turned out. I still think the position of Centre Back still needs to be addressed . I do not know anything about Garcia. and I am not sure if the rumours of Serouix are true. But non the less lets hope for the positive.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-23-2009, 10:27 PM
so far so good, id like to see two (at least one) CB signed but yes things have been better than both previous preseasons, definitely more promising

Ossington Mental Youth
02-23-2009, 11:43 PM
couldnt give a shit about a dp signing provided we have non dp players that do the same amount of good work

Dre
02-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Very pleased with the offseason so far. Need a CB (or two), but hopefully that gets sorted out. Not concerned about the DP. Would love to have one, but not just for the sake of filling the spot. I'd be happy to wait and get the right person to fit the team. (That does not mean stop looking though Mo!)

JDG
02-24-2009, 12:26 AM
If there is a direct relationship between the improvement of the quality of our off season to the quality of our season, we'll be in the final for the cup this year.

I'd have said winning the cup, except I'm still not 100% sure about our back line. Improved? Yes. Solid? That remains to be seen.

GuelphStorm2007
02-24-2009, 01:08 AM
Now that the Seroux deal is about 90% confirmed.
Hopefully TFC will have a good year. With both the Leafs and Raptors both having miserable seasons. The Blue Jays have already starting to look ahead to 2010, and who knows about the Argos. This could be a good chance for
TFC and Soccer to get the Lions Share of the Mainstream media coverage in Toronto. lets Hope.

Laurignano
02-24-2009, 01:56 AM
We will see.. I mean everything seems good. First, we have to see if all the players play well together and buy into Carver's system.

Also, everything seems good on paper (look at what happened to the Raptors)..I refuse to get too excited ever again about a sports team. In side I am jumping for joy, but until I see our first game will I rate how well did Mo did in the preseason.

Cashcleaner
02-24-2009, 02:11 AM
Agreed...

Though it was kind of an odd off-season wasn't it? Who we managed to pick up in the draft was a bit of a (pleasant) surprise. DeRo's signing was obviously big deal as well, though I'm still a bit disconcerted that the DP slot is still unused.

Laurignano
02-24-2009, 02:27 AM
Cashcleaner it is funny how fast people forget the promise of the DP slot.

If they use it or not does not bother me, if they can sign a quality defender I would be extremely happy. I think defense is our weakest link right now for TFC (as everyone knows) and if we can address it in the winter transfer window when some MLS Star quality players become free agents who would be worth the DP money to come and beef up our back line, and help us make a playoff push, win Canadian cup, and also a push us deep into CONCACAF champions league.

mclaren
02-24-2009, 07:56 AM

If they use it or not does not bother me, if they can sign a quality defender I would be extremely happy. I think defense is our weakest link right now for TFC (as everyone knows) and if we can address it in the winter transfer window when some MLS Star quality players become free agents who would be worth the DP money to come and beef up our back line, and help us make a playoff push, win Canadian cup, and also a push us deep into CONCACAF champions league.

agreed - MLSE is very clever in its messaging.

Oldtimer
02-24-2009, 08:34 AM

Don't worry, the promise of a DP player will come around again... at season ticket renewal time.

tfc
02-24-2009, 08:56 AM
I doubt the DP slot will be used in the summer transfer window unless some guys are seriously underperforming. Hopefully at the talks next year they cut out the impact of the DP slot on the cap, because as it stands now we would probably have to drop a few key players (or depth) to bring someone in - and considering how good our team looks I wouldn't want to drop anyone!

daner90
02-24-2009, 08:58 AM
I said strongly agree...

With the addition of Dero and Vitti alone i think this was a great offseason, factor in the potential of Cronin Frei and White and what they could do in the future, and I think if we have landed Serioux it is a huge step up.

What reminds to be seen is what Mo can do with the goaltending depth we have now. With a couple of highly touted keepers like Frei and Edwards can he turn that it into another CB and sure things up on the back end,

giambac
02-24-2009, 09:32 AM
The thread title says it all: Given our obvious roster needs at the conclusion of the 2008 season, are you satisfied with everything that has transpired to date?

- Signed Pablo Vitti on loan from Independiente
- Drafted Stefan Frei, Sam Cronin, O'Brien White, and Kyle Hall.
- Traded Julius James and allocation for DeRo
- Traded Tyrone Marshall for allocation
- Re-signed Ricketts, Robinson, and Dichio.
- Traded ??? for Adrian Serioux (lets just assume this for conversation's sake, since it appears to be imminent)
- Did not use our Designated Player slot

With all of this in mind - are you satisfied? What specifically would you have done differently? Are you upset that Mo didn't use our DP slot?

As our roster starts to stabilize, what do you think are our prospects for this season?

- Scott

Fact that we still a haven't got our DP after Mo promised us for the 3rd year now, more than offsets all the other positive signings in the offseason.

If the season begins as is then I'm disappointed. The team ha simprove dbut not at the level it should be or could be. What is Mo waiting for.

Shaughno
02-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Despite Mo's comments about a DP or not, how does that take away from what looks to be a fairly decent off season for TFC? I mean, sure he could have signed someone as a DP. Would you be happy if DeRo ended up as a DP and everything else was identical to our current situation?

tfc
02-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Fact that we still a haven't got our DP after Mo promised us for the 3rd year now, more than offsets all the other positive signings in the offseason.

If the season begins as is then I'm disappointed. The team ha simprove dbut not at the level it should be or could be. What is Mo waiting for.

are you freaking kidding me? I know I shouldn't even bother responding to your idiotic posts, but come on.

One DP would offset: DeRo, Vitti, Serioux, White, Cronin, and Frei? You are seriously on crack.

anto7
02-24-2009, 09:56 AM
With all due respect to everyone who offers their opinion on this question I do not think that any of us can really know what it is like to have to work within the constraints of the MLS structure. Based on what Mo has done so far(building for the future and not just for instant short term sucess) he seems to have done an excellent job. Sure I would like to see a big name player in the TFC colours but at the same time I can live without one if it means building a better all round team. It also appears that Mo did try to look for a DP but none really panned out which probably was not his fault.
Overall I am very pleased with what he has done this off season and I am confident that there will be one or two more good signings to come before the start of the action. If this happens we will be in good shape.

djking2
02-24-2009, 10:34 AM
With all due respect to everyone who offers their opinion on this question I do not think that any of us can really know what it is like to have to work within the constraints of the MLS structure.

I agree. You could add it's a moving target as well. Is there anybody here that wouldn't bet next year we see a pretty large increase in salary cap room and roster size. I mean after the new CBA is done it's gonna be a whole new ballgame.

Steve
02-24-2009, 11:09 AM

I'm confused, are you more concerned with a DP, or with winning? I mean, would you rather have a team like LAG, finishing 2nd last in the league with 2 DPs, or a team like the 2008 crew, or 2006-2007 Dynamo, who won the league without a DP at all? I'm not saying a DP is necessarily a bad thing, but I'd rather Mo keep his eyes open and only sign one who will make a big enough difference to justify the cap hit, than sign one because some fan on a message board demanded it, and end up with a $400k injury prone bench warmer.

I'm just trying to figure out your motivations. As far as I can tell, you've either taken a dislike to Mo at some point and want him to fail, or you just enjoy being the voice of negativity. I'm not terribly bothered by either, merely curious.

loconet
02-24-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm satisfied, one or two CBs and I'll be happy.

Forget the DP if it means a more complete winning team. That is more important

With a well thought out squad that addresses all the various problems we had last season, there is no need shiny ornaments.

DRock
02-24-2009, 11:18 AM
I think Mo did an excellent job, assuming we get Serioux and hopefully another CB before season start, but even if it's just Serioux I can understand. We've been trialing defenders and apparently got screwed by another CB (nevergonnaplayforuski) so it's not like he hasn't been trying. Serioux is also a damn good addition, since he's Canadian, and he's a good player (and has a cannon of an arm). He's proven that he's been scouting more than just European talent by trialing Gambians, and signing Vitti to a loan. We've resigned the core of our team (Robbo, etc) even though some had to take a PAY CUT. We've got 3 excellent prospects for the future, and it's said we had the best draft and got the 3 best selections. We signed DeRo, which is huge. My favourite part of this whole thing is that people say that we didn't get a DP which is the reason for them not being happy, but many people were saying that they would be happy with DeRo as DP, but instead Mo was able to get him for NONDP money and kept our DP slot open if we want to use it during the summer or next season after Dichio's gone. So to all the naysayers, i say nay to your say!

Stryker
02-24-2009, 11:21 AM

Giambac usually I just read your posts and laugh put I have to ask... are you seriously stupid or do you just like to bitch alot?
Mo has been nothing short or brilliant this off season!
He's improved this team from front to back and given us the best middle in the league hands down.
I supose you'd be happier though if we signed Del Piero and the rest of the team stayed pat. Then he gets injured for 4 months and what do you have?
One player... even a DP does not make a team. See Galaxy for reference.

S_D
02-24-2009, 11:23 AM

Don't get your hopes up. I can't see a DP as long as Vitti is here as money has to be set aside for a potential transfer fee at the end of the loan agreement.

If he is crap and Mo intends on returning him after the loan I can see a DP maybe, but if he is working out and popping in the goals, I can't see it.

If you read that article on foriegn player acquisitions, transfer fees even if paid down with allocation cash still count against the cap. So lets say he has a $500,000 transfer fee you are essentially using cap space that would be for a DP on him, and you still have to pay the guy his wages on top of that.

So Giambac, we may already have our DP. We just don't know if he is the one TFC wants to keep or not. :)

Don Julio
02-24-2009, 12:13 PM
The off season sucked, as it always will, because there were no games.

poppamidnight
02-24-2009, 12:19 PM
I voted 'agree'

didnt say 'strongly agree' simply due to two things, which - in my opinion- warrent it not being considered worthy of such praise:

1 - One CB was brought in with one going out - We needed two, this was (along w/ scoring) our biggest problem last year. So technically we still need 1/2 of our biggest problem fixed.

2 - We brought in National team players, and im frankly worried when their national teams call them for duty....
....we had an unusually high # last year, and it appears we slightly gained on it (im not including carlos Ruiz in last years int. #'s cuz we was barely w/ us to effect it)
-Specifically in relation to this, is the fact the national team players we have are in key spots where our depth is thin...
...you've got Cronin for Welsh's callup
...and the two keepers for Sutton,
...And Attakora for Wynne

but after that? - Amado? De-Ro? (Johann...sorry buddy, but ur not worth replacement)
Jimmy B?
Serioux? (velez...sorry buddy, your a 80-minute sub)

Thats 4 significant holes when National Team Duties call (assuming Jimmy B goes back to CMNT) - 3 w/o jimmy playing for Canada

Fix those two issues and 'strongly agree' is a fair assessment

NF-FC
02-24-2009, 12:34 PM
I think Dero is done for the national team until Mitchell is axed

S_D
02-24-2009, 02:03 PM
and harmse maybe called up too.

Northern Soul
02-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Oh please. And if the DP is from anywhere else other than South America, you'll moan all year long anyway.

Northern Soul
02-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Anyway, I voted agree, because I still think we need one more CB, which Mo is apparently working on.

Crazy Canuck
02-24-2009, 06:26 PM
I would of Strongly agreed if Toronto picked up De Guzman as a DP.
I know, I know not happening but that would be sweet. I don't like the idea of buying an old DP. Buying a young DP would be great the next best thing seems to be Pablo Vitti.

Good job MoJo

NF-FC
02-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by giambac

Shut your cranky fuckin piehole you crusty old douche!

You do nothing but bitch and moan about everything Mo does. So what if we don't have a magical, all conquering DP. We have a balanced team with lots of attacking potential and depth. If you look at our line up man for man with the rest of the league we're right at the top with Columbus and Chicago.

So stop being a fucking cry baby, Figo isn't coming!

Redcoe15
02-24-2009, 06:43 PM
With Serioux now in Toronto, I say TFC has gone from "agreed" to a great off season to "strongly agreed". :canada: :D

Redcoe15
02-24-2009, 06:44 PM
The off season sucked, as it always will, because there were no games.
Hang in there, buds. The season's a-comin'! :D

James Oliphant
02-24-2009, 06:45 PM
NF-FC: Add to that the fact that Mo never once promised a DP. His mantra has been "right player, right time" since day one.

But this is why I have giambac on ignore...he acts as if he knows what's going on, when he's really just making it all up as he goes along. So please....

STOP QUOTING THIS IGNORANT FUCKING PRICK

The only reason he still posts here is because people pay attention to him...something I'm sure he's not used to in any other area of his life.

daner90
02-24-2009, 06:48 PM
wow Giambic are you leaf fan expeciting them to sing Crobsy and Ovechkin in the offseason?

Brutal

NF-FC
02-24-2009, 06:51 PM
NF-FC: Add to that the fact that Mo never once promised a DP. His mantra has been "right player, right time" since day one.

But this is why I have giambac on ignore...he acts as if he knows what's going on, when he's really just making it all up as he goes along. So please....

STOP QUOTING THIS IGNORANT FUCKING PRICK

The only reason he still posts here is because people pay attention to him...something I'm sure he's not used to in any other area of his life.

I have him on ignore too. the only reason i saw his comment was because someone else quoted it.

ExiledRed
02-25-2009, 12:47 PM
I've decided I don't want a DP until the $400,000 cap hit is eliminated.

It's silly anyway, and defeats the object of getting a DP in the first place.

Beach_Red
02-25-2009, 01:28 PM
I've decided I don't want a DP until the $400,000 cap hit is eliminated.

It's silly anyway, and defeats the object of getting a DP in the first place.

I agree with this.

How do you feel about a player moving into the DP after he's been with the team a year?

poppamidnight
02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
With Serioux now in Toronto, I say TFC has gone from "agreed" to a great off season to "strongly agreed". :canada: :D

You didnt complete the equasion:

With serioux now in Toronto, I say TFC has gone from "agreed" to a great offseason to "strongly agreed",
but then factor in the fact we traded our only other startable CB (Marshall) and it goes back from "strongly agreed" to "agreed"

Since we're still missing 1/2 of our biggest problem from last year (the CB position)

Don't jump the gun,
50% of a position being filled is not worthy of full praise

ManUtd4ever
02-25-2009, 05:04 PM
At the very least, MoJo has assembled a squad that will compete for home field advantage in the MLS playoffs and qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League. The additions of 2 homegrown all stars and 3 solid prospects can't be viewed as anything less than a terrific offseason. DP or no DP, I'm pumped for 2009!

Nodoubtguy
02-25-2009, 05:53 PM
First off, hats off to Mo for keeping the guts of last season together. Barrett, Rohan, Carl, Danny all back (some for less money). Add in the aquisition of Dero....already a good year. Then think about the draft.....Everyone went in expecting Mo would deal. We needed a CB, so Serioux seemed like a good deal. instead Mo holds his picks, get probably the best draft group of the year in Frei, Cronin, and White, goes on to sign Vitti (if it works good, its great because MLS loans need to have an option to buy), and eventually gets Serioux for a future pick in a year where that pick could have been worst then anyone we got this draft. After all that, it seems we still have some money left for another CB??

wow.....

Beach_Red
02-25-2009, 06:50 PM
So Giambac, we may already have our DP. We just don't know if he is the one TFC wants to keep or not. :)

This would be the most logical way to deal with the DP. I hate to give them any credit, but look at what Columbus did with Schelloto. How did that work out for them?

Shakes McQueen
02-25-2009, 08:40 PM
I think it's funny how so many people are hung up on insisting that we find SOMEONE to waste the DP designation on, and consider the off-season a disappointment otherwise.

I wanted us to sign a DP at the end of last season, because I thought we needed a scoring touch, improved defense, and some veteran leadership. Then we got DeRo, Vitti, Serioux, Cronin, Frei... and on, and on.

Sometimes I think people like Giambac think there is some young South American superstar just waiting to be signed by the likes of an MLS team. And he would literally have to be sitting there doing nothing, as transfer fees are paid by allocation - meaning we aren't going to get someone in contract.

Signing a great DP isn't as easy as you think.

I say we wait to see how Vitti does, and if he performs, try to work out a deal to have him as our DP.

Of course, in the case of Giambac, he will always find something to bitch about. First it's not having a DP, then it'd be not having one from South America, then it'd be not having one from the right part of South America

- Scott

ExiledRed
02-25-2009, 09:36 PM
I agree with this.

How do you feel about a player moving into the DP after he's been with the team a year?

If you're talking about DeRo, it wont make a blind bit of difference to the cap, seeing as he's getting about $400k anyway.

Anybody else upgrading to that kind of money will force other players from the team and prevent decent replacements.