PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Monday , Feb.23

denime
02-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Mornin'

No TFC News for now.

Believe the hype: Soccer madness hits Montreal
By GARETH WHEELER (gareth.wheeler@suntv.canoe.ca)

(gareth.wheeler@suntv.canoe.ca)Come Wednesday, Toronto FC supporters will be asking themselves: 'What if?'
What if former TFC striker Jeff Cunningham could have buried that sitter he made a meal of last July to qualify TFC for the next round of the CONCACAF Champions League?
If so, TFC might have progressed past a knockout round and a group stage to make it to the quarterfinal. And if it did, would it be playing in front of a full house at the Rogers Centre this Wednesday?
That question won't be answered for another year -- and you can blame Cunningham.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/02/23/8493896-sun.html)

Downtown stadium key to Ottawa MLS bid

Since I came to Ottawa, I’ve never developed much of an affinity for the Ottawa Senators. It’s not so much the lame results, more the location of the stadium. I don’t associate Scotiabank Place with actually being in Ottawa. I associate it more with driving to Toronto.

As an Englishman, I love the thrill of inner-city soccer stadiums, and the hustle and bustle of match day in the surrounding streets. Twenty-five kilometres from downtown, Scotiabank Place is mind-boggling far away for a sports complex. The parking lots that surrounds it takes away half the fun.

Read more (http://www.metronews.ca/ottawa/comment/article/186077)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Mark in Ottawa
02-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Honestly I am tired of all of the MLS in Ottawa rhetoric.
Ottawa as a city is a prime example of "analysis paralysis".
Everyone wants a handout and the city can't decide which group to support.
The established lobby groups have way too much sway in the city and the NIMBY factor means that long delays get introduced whenever anything is proposed.

It is just all so depressing :(

Damien
02-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Tanenbaum buys more MLSE shares
http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090219.wsptmlse0219/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home?cid=al_gam_mostview

Marco Reda (aka butter toes) signs with WhiteCraps
http://www.soccer365.com/us_news/story_20209002008.php

scooter
02-23-2009, 08:15 AM
morning all

Technorgasm
02-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Fuck Montreal.

Watching Parkis amazing movie last night, brought up that sting all over again.

Impact Director on ITS CALLED FOOTBALL:
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/185876

2009: REVENGE

Oldtimer
02-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Behind every great team is a great general manager. For the Montreal Impact, it's Nick De Santis.
The Impact surprised a lot of soccer fans when it won the Canadian club championship last summer and then defeated Nicaraguan side Real Esteli to earn a spot in the group stage of the inaugural CONCACAF Champions league.
Montreal didn't rest on its laurels, though.

Good article by John Molinaro.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/02/22/f-soccer-impact-architect.html

TFC 420
02-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Fuck Montreal.

Watching Parkis amazing movie last night, brought up that sting all over again.

Impact Director on ITS CALLED FOOTBALL:
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/185876

2009: REVENGEThanks. I've been waiting for someone to post that link.

S_D
02-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Good article by John Molinaro.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/02/22/f-soccer-impact-architect.html

"You take a guy like Matt Jordan who had a great season last year— he had interest from MLS clubs and being an American he was naturally interested in playing in that league and going home. We gave him the liberty to look at those offers, but in the end he saw the vision we had, the mentality and the structure we have in place here and that convinced him to stay."

Interesting. I wonder if the MLS offered him a dev contract knowing how cheap they are :D

Yohan
02-23-2009, 09:23 AM
first really cute SSG in a while

BFin
02-23-2009, 09:36 AM
(SSG = Very Nice)
Despite my hatred for Montreal, you can't help but respect what they have done in the past year. They have surprised A LOT of people.

flatpicker
02-23-2009, 10:42 AM
I also respect Montreal for what they have achieved (now I can't wait for Toronto to rip them apart this year!)

I am somewhat annoyed that CBC is not carrying this game on their main channel.
Bold??? Come on... this is one of the biggest soccer games Canada has witnessed.

Stouffville_RPB
02-23-2009, 10:47 AM
I also respect Montreal for what they have achieved (now I can't wait for Toronto to rip them apart this year!)

Bold??? Come on... this is one of the biggest soccer games Canada has witnessed.

I'm sure Train 48 or some other high quality Canadian show is on instead.

They are streamming it live.

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-23-2009, 10:48 AM

Hopefully if they win, they show their next match on the main CBC.

flatpicker
02-23-2009, 10:56 AM
there is a decent news story video on cbc's site covering the Montreal game.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/02/22/your-view-impact.html

rocker
02-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Ricketts is bloggin on his web site

http://blog.rohanricketts.com/2009/02/training-in-fort-lauderdale-florida.html

tlear
02-23-2009, 11:58 AM
God I hope mexicans destroy limpact on wednesday, hell even 1 away goal should finish them

rocker
02-23-2009, 12:17 PM
God I hope mexicans destroy limpact on wednesday, hell even 1 away goal should finish them

right on brother. screw the LIMP ACT!

come on LIMP ACT, why don't you beat try beating us for once... cuz you haven't done it yet.

Roogsy
02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
The wound of Cunningham's miss just keeps getting opened and re-opened.

mednus
02-23-2009, 12:26 PM

right on brother. screw the LIMP ACT!

come on LIMP ACT, why don't you beat try beating us for once... cuz you haven't done it yet.

Get over it already, We lost the TOURNAMENT hopefully we will do better this year!

To keep bringing up that the IMPACT haven't beat TFC makes us all sound like a bunch of whining school children! We (TFC) lost the CUP get your head around it.

I wish the IMPACT well, any CANADIAN club team against a CONCACAF rival in the CCL gets my support!

rocker
02-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Get over it already, We lost the TOURNAMENT hopefully we will do better this year!

To keep bringing up that the IMPACT haven't beat TFC makes us all sound like a bunch of whining school children! We (TFC) lost the CUP get your head around it.

I wish the IMPACT well, any CANADIAN club team against a CONCACAF rival in the CCL gets my support!

hahah. Glad to see you love our enemies!!! Guess you can't deal with facts (Montreal never beat us.. it's a fact... but if you don't believe in facts, then go ahead and praise our enemies)

Guess you'll be cheering for the Impact next time they come to BMO eh?

Get out your blue and white shirts! :)

BFin
02-23-2009, 12:37 PM
*My stupid argument senses are tingling*

TorCanSoc
02-23-2009, 12:45 PM
The wound of Cunningham's miss just keeps getting opened and re-opened.
Was a team effort in not making it into CCL.

keem-o-sabi
02-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Today's Daily Co-ed lovely :) (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/miss-coed/)

jloome
02-23-2009, 12:51 PM

YEah, go fuck yourself pal. Wrong team to support on this board. This isn't the Canada fucking cup, it's the Montreal Impact playing someone else. What, you're supporting them "just because they're Canadian"? They're our fucking rivals.

Some fucking TFC fan you are. Shameful.

I hope they're embarassed. I don't think they will be. But I hope it's 4-0, 5-0. Fuck them.

Roogsy
02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Tell us how you really feel Jeremy! :lol:

Might want to ease up there a little though...

Oblio2
02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Never cheer for the enemy!

Do you see Rangers fans cheering Celtic in Euro?
Do you see Tottenham fans cheering Arsenal?
Do you see Man City fans cheering UTD?

NO!!!!

A rival team is just that......they are scum. Let the wankers lose.

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
From Rohan's blog:

Time to run now...I gotta go have an ice bath...its sooooo cold but it speeds up recovery. Try it ..lol at your risk.. hahaha. Till next time...

Ice bath? That has to suck...

The Pope
02-23-2009, 12:57 PM

I bet it will be on the french CBC...they broadcast footy in HD (unlike their English couterparts)

Roogsy
02-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Was a team effort in not making it into CCL.

True...but that miss hurts more than anything else as it was a defining moment in that particular failure from '08.

Pachuco
02-23-2009, 01:09 PM
YEah, go fuck yourself pal. Wrong team to support on this board. This isn't the Canada fucking cup, it's the Montreal Impact playing someone else. What, you're supporting them "just because they're Canadian"? They're our fucking rivals.

Some fucking TFC fan you are. Shameful.

I hope they're embarassed. I don't think they will be. But I hope it's 4-0, 5-0. Fuck them.

I'll be chearing for Montreal. You don't like it, fuck off. You really need to get a life as you are now officially an internet tough guy.

BleedRed
02-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Fuck the Impact. Period.

Flashman
02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Never cheer for the enemy!

Do you see Rangers fans cheering Celtic in Euro?
Do you see Tottenham fans cheering Arsenal?
Do you see Man City fans cheering UTD?

NO!!!!

A rival team is just that......they are scum. Let the wankers lose.

I too, will be watching and cheering for the L'Impact...this is a great boon for football (as opposed to throwball) in Canada:canada:

I could very well see myself unable to cheer for them in a few (maybe even a couple) of years. I could never cheer for the Habs. But for now, they haven't pissed me off much (after all we beat and tied them). It also reflects on the quality of the team that did beat us out of the Canadian Championship, so we don't have to hang our heads quite as low.

I will also be cheering for the Dynamo and the Islanders, as they also represent the state of football in North America (and MLS in the case of the Dynamo), and that is the league we play in.

P.S. Couldn't bring myself to cheer for the LA Gals

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-23-2009, 01:26 PM
I'll be chearing for Montreal. You don't like it, fuck off. You really need to get a life as you are now officially an internet tough guy.
Block button comes in handy...

I'm pulling for the Impact. Canada's soccer landscape can't be compared to the likes of Scotland, England and Italy, where I can fully understand people not pulling for rivals in continental competition.

This is Canada, we have three professional clubs. Any exposure that ANY of them get is good for the game in this country.

Pachuco
02-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Block button comes in handy...

I'm pulling for the Impact. Canada's soccer landscape can't be compared to the likes of Scotland, England and Italy, where I can fully understand people not pulling for rivals in continental competition.

This is Canada, we have three professional clubs. Any exposure that ANY of them get is good for the game in this country.

Absolutely, and I for one, care alot about this sport growing in Canada. Put it this way, I was in Montreal last week teaching a course. I wore my tfc hoodie just to get to the customer's office. One of the ladies saw me take it off and this is how the conversation went:

She says: "did you hear about the Montreal team that is playing in some big game?".

I said: of course, and I'm proud that they've made it to where they are. I then asked her if she followed soccer

She says: Before reading about that game in the news I didn't even know Montreal played soccer

That to me, is mission accomplished right there. This is advertising for soccer in Canada at it's best. We sure can't rely on the CSA to advertise it.

BFin
02-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Absolutely, and I for one, care alot about this sport growing in Canada. Put it this way, I was in Montreal last week teaching a course. I wore my tfc hoodie just to get to the customer's office. One of the ladies saw me take it off and this is how the conversation went:

She says: "did you hear about the Montreal team that is playing in some big game?".

I said: of course, and I'm proud that they've made it to where they are. I then asked her if she followed soccer

She says: Before reading about that game in the news I didn't even know Montreal played soccer

That to me, is mission accomplished right there. This is advertising for soccer in Canada at it's best. We sure can't rely on the CSA to advertise it.
Absolutely bang on.
Personal opinions aside, ones desire to cheer for a Canadian team to advance the sport and grow even the MLS to bigger and better things might not say as much about their hatred for rival clubs (in different leagues), but it says a lot more about their desire to see the MLS and soccer succeed in Canada and us to continue to have a great team like TFC to get behind every gameday.

flatpicker
02-23-2009, 01:37 PM
^^ Good story.

I really illustrates how important the success of any of the Canadian teams is to the sport in this country.
It's all about growing awareness.

Pigfynn
02-23-2009, 01:49 PM
I can see that it's a good thing that they made it as far as they have in this competition. This is all I will concede, to say you'll be cheering for the Impact is a disgrace. The argument that this isn't Spain or England is stupid.

How many of you who are going to be cheering for the Imapact were at BMO when their fans jeered and threw things down at us as we approached our own ground?

But ya, Go Impact! :rolleyes:

flatpicker
02-23-2009, 02:05 PM
^ from my point of view, this isn't about cheering for the Montreal "team"

this is about cheering for the growth of soccer within Canada.

the sport is still scratching and clawing its way into the minds of Canadians.
It needs all the assistance it can get.

Obviously I am not a Montreal fan.
I would wish the worst for them in any competition or league that included Toronto.

But this goes beyond just the Impact.
And those of you who can't see beyond the blue and white shirts need to take the blinders off.

A positive result for Montreal will even increase interest in TFC.
The more people paying attention to soccer:
- the more people pay attention to Canadian teams (club and country)
- more people pay attention to the Voyageurs Cup.
- the more people start watching soccer on television.
- the more television stations that actual carry soccer (and not tape-delayed)

Shaughno
02-23-2009, 02:08 PM
My blinders are off. Sure I want the sport to progress in Canada. Doesn't mean I should cheer for a rival team. Especially one with so much recent history between our clubs.

The sport will still grow, regardless of whether Limpact wins or loses, so why cheer a rival??????

To use a shitty but applicable comparison. Would you cheer the US in the World Cup?

I mean technically somewhere down the line, it would be better for TFC and Canada as a whole, then Limpact winning this game, would it not?

flatpicker
02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
^ ah fer fux sakes!

I just said that my interest in Montreal winning has nothing to do with liking the Impact team!

Yes, the sport will grow... but it will grow faster with better results, and better exposure.

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
My blinders are off. Sure I want the sport to progress in Canada. Doesn't mean I should cheer for a rival team. Especially one with so much recent history between our clubs.

The sport will still grow, regardless of whether Limpact wins or loses, so why cheer a rival??????
Another sold-out game in the next round would make people take that much more notice though, no? ;) The Champions League is the best way for our teams to get exposure. I don't pull for Montreal in USL, and I obviously won't once they get to MLS, but at this point in time, it's great exposure.

Pigfynn
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM
The converting of non soccer fans into soccer fans is and has been a failed venture. The MLS has only just started to come to this conclusion.

The future of soccer in Canada will benefit far more from converting Canadian European soccer fans to domestic fans than it will from trying to get into the minds of Canadians as a whole. Hockey owns that spot.

In my mind, TFC is involved in this competition, just in an earlier qualifying stage of it. So, I feel it's like cheering for Man Utd in the Champions League once Arsenal go out. Not something I'd do as a Man Utd supporter (if i was one)

Shaughno
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
^ ah fer fux sakes!

I just said that my interest in Montreal winning has nothing to do with liking the Impact team!

Yes, the sport will grow... but it will grow faster with better results, and better exposure.

Read the second part of my post. ;)

Another sold-out game in the next round would make people take that much more notice though, no? ;) The Champions League is the best way for our teams to get exposure. I don't pull for Montreal in USL, and I obviously won't once they get to MLS, but at this point in time, it's great exposure.

Sure it's great exposure... in Montreal. People in Toronto have no clue that Montreal is even in that competition... aside from people on the boards. How does that raise any awareness outside of Quebec?

To go back to my point. If the US does well in International competition, I think that would affect the growth more, than Montreal progressing.

My $0.02

Pachuco
02-23-2009, 02:18 PM

To use a shitty but applicable comparison. Would you cheer the US in the World Cup?

I mean technically somewhere down the line, it would be better for TFC and Canada as a whole, then Limpact winning this game, would it not?

Your comparison is not applicable. Because you would be asking me to cheer for another country. In this case, I want the Impact to do well for the good of MY country. Anyways, I'm not telling anyone to cheer for the Impact if you don't want to. I just can't stand it when some internet tough guy on this site starts calling us none supporters because we are rooting for Montreal. It's stupid and childish. I'll cheer for who I want to. I give alot of money to MLSE every year to be called a none supporter.

flatpicker
02-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Read the second part of my post. ;)

that's what happens when posts get edited afterward! :)

Sure it's great exposure... in Montreal. People in Toronto have no clue that Montreal is even in that competition... aside from people on the boards. How does that raise any awareness outside of Quebec?

To go back to my point. If the US does well in International competition, I think that would affect the growth more, than Montreal progressing.

My $0.02

Well the story is on the front page of the CBC website, and I'm sure it's not just those in Quebec that visit cbc.ca

And sure... USA doing well internationally is probably good as well.
So what the hell... Go USA GO!

Shaughno
02-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Your comparison is not applicable. Because you would be asking me to cheer for another country. In this case, I want the Impact to do well for the good of MY country. Anyways, I'm not telling anyone to cheer for the Impact if you don't want to. I just can't stand it when some internet tough guy on this site starts calling us none supporters because we are rooting for Montreal. It's stupid and childish. I'll cheer for who I want to. I give alot of money to MLSE every year to be called a none supporter.

I personally, don't give a fuck who you cheer for.

My arguement is quite valid as the progress of the USMNT affects the growth of the sport in our region 10x more than Montreal's games ever will. Fact.

werewolf
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I remember chatting up a girl at a party a few years back. She told me her dad supported both Rangers and Celtic.

It's a shame, she was cute.

Pachuco
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM

My arguement is quite valid as the progress of the USMNT affects the growth of the sport in our region 10x more than Montreal's games ever will. Fact.

Well that's why I was hoping the U.S would do well in the world cup. So now what? do you care who I chear for? :)

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Um, flatpicker, I wouldn't go THAT far. :p

I don't think it would help soccer in this country, personally, it would just put us deeper into the Americans' shadow. The Americans have been around the top 20 in rankings for a while and it doesn't seem to have helped us out much. The other day I was talking to people I know from an English football forum I visit about our qualifying flop and a couple of them didn't realize we even had a team.

Pachuco
02-23-2009, 02:26 PM

I don't think it would help soccer in this country, personally, it would just put us deeper into the Americans' shadow. The Americans have been around the top 20 in rankings for a while and it doesn't seem to have helped us out much. The other day I was talking to people I know from an English football forum I visit about our qualifying flop and a couple of them didn't realize we even had a team.

I do think though that as talent grows in the U.S then the MLS gets better. We are part of the MLS and I want the level of play to grow here. Unfortunatley for us that means growing the sport in Canada AND the U.S.

Shaughno
02-23-2009, 02:27 PM

It would greatly help the status of the MLS which directly helps the status of TFC. Which, in turn funnily enough, effects us directly and the growth of the sport in Canada.

If the USMNT hadn't progressed to where they are now, I highly doubt the MLS would have been a success period.

Like I said, IMO, it effects Canada's growth of the sport more in the short run, long run, or however you look at it.

Shaughno
02-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Well that's why I was hoping the U.S would do well in the world cup. So now what? do you care who I chear for? :)

Cheer for TFC? That's all that matters. After that, it's your problem not mine. ;)

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
It would greatly help the status of the MLS which directly helps the status of TFC. Which, in turn funnily enough, effects us directly and the growth of the sport in Canada.

If the USMNT hadn't progressed to where they are now, I highly doubt the MLS would have been a success period.

Like I said, IMO, it effects Canada's growth of the sport more in the short run, long run, or however you look at it.
Yeah, it helps the MLS grow, you do have a point. But that helps TFC more than it helps the game in Canada, I think. Just my 2 cents.

flatpicker
02-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Go Austin Aztex Go!!!

Shaughno
02-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah, it helps the MLS grow, you do have a point. But that helps TFC more than it helps the game in Canada, I think. Just my 2 cents.

Right now TFC is the highest level of football in Canada. So it definitely does help, quite a bit.

Mojo
02-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Today's Daily Co-ed lovely :) (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/miss-coed/)

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Rohan mentioned having to take an ice bath... I think I just might have to do that myself :willy_nilly:

BFin
02-23-2009, 03:09 PM

source?

BFin
02-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Can't we all just agree we hate Columbus and be done with it?

Shaughno
02-23-2009, 03:11 PM
source?

Find me an academy that has started up since Montreal has won anything.

Our academy is a direct result of the MLS. The MLS is the result of interest in the sport in the grand ol' USA.

BFin
02-23-2009, 03:21 PM
That's not a source.

It's an opinion. It's also not a fact without evidence.

flatpicker
02-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Find me an academy that has started up since Montreal has won anything.

Our academy is a direct result of the MLS. The MLS is the result of interest in the sport in the grand ol' USA.

I wouldn't disagree with that.

But as I said... any little bit helps in the promoting of soccer in Canada
Thus...

BFin
02-23-2009, 03:30 PM
We're talking about it in the Toronto FC portion of the forum, but anyone find a live blog, or updates maybe from todays game?

Shaughno
02-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Our academy is a direct result of the progress of the MLS, correct?

What direct impact has the Limpact had on the growth of the sport?

Shaughno
02-23-2009, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't disagree with that.

But as I said... any little bit helps in the promoting of soccer in Canada
Thus...

I agree. Look, I never said I had a problem with it. I simply said that you might as well support the USMNT as they have done more for the sport in Canada than Montreal probably ever will.

Marc"2L"
02-23-2009, 03:42 PM
You don't have to cheer for the impact to support the sport.

Just watch the fucking game! That's all. You know why it's being shown on cbc bold and taped delayed. Because CBC knows they can't turn a profit (or the right profit) by showing it live.

Want more coverage of the sport? Then tune the fuck in.

Shaughno
02-23-2009, 03:43 PM
^^ Somebody gets it!

Marc"2L"
02-23-2009, 03:48 PM
^^ Somebody gets it!

The only reason I want Montreal to win is because it would mean there's another game for us and the country to watch.

If Montreal gets to the final, I hope CBC puts a bit of money behind it.

Pigfynn
02-23-2009, 03:49 PM
^^Wait a minute! I get it also. :)

BuSaPuNk
02-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Just watch the game!! That is what i'm going to do. Don't really care who wins just want a good game. The better the game the more fans they might attract in the Montreal area, and that would go a long way to getting them back into the MLS expansion race. Also as long as it isn't a cake walk and Montreal plays a tough game it will boost crediblity throught CONCACAF.

ginkster88
02-23-2009, 04:01 PM
I won't be "cheering for" the Impact, but I will certainly be interested in their performance, so I will watch the game. I don't care if they win or not, but I certainly don't hate them enough to wish them to lose. When the Senators play anybody in the playoffs, they must lose. I hate them. That level of contempt hasn't yet been established as far as the Impact go, really. Sure, emotions ran high when they came to BMO, but it will be a few more games before everybody universally hates their blue and white. I'm hoping for some entertaining football tomorrow, and am interested to see how the big O looks on television when booked for football instead of baseball. If anything, it's some geographically relevant football at a dead time of year, which is just fantastic.

flatpicker
02-23-2009, 07:45 PM
I won't be "cheering for" the Impact, but I will certainly be interested in their performance, so I will watch the game. I don't care if they win or not, but I certainly don't hate them enough to wish them to lose. When the Senators play anybody in the playoffs, they must lose. I hate them. That level of contempt hasn't yet been established as far as the Impact go, really. Sure, emotions ran high when they came to BMO, but it will be a few more games before everybody universally hates their blue and white.

well said...

The Sens are a perfect example of unconditional hate for a team!
No matter the situation... I will always hold a great contempt for Ottawa.
They are the dirt that sticks to the gum that is stuck to the bottom of my shoe.

As far as the Impact are concerned... My hatred has not had enough time to fully develop.
I'm sure in time it will blossom into a full blown disgust... but for now I am more civil about it all.

Toronto FC is the one and only football club that I support.
But the sport of soccer as a whole means a lot to me (I have no problem watching any game on tv)
If Montreal winning is good for the exposure of soccer in Canada... then I prefer they succeed.

rocker
02-23-2009, 08:05 PM
w
As far as the Impact are concerned... My hatred has not had enough time to fully develop.

ya, cuz you are willing to root for them in Champions league ;)

don't root for them and then you'll have no problem hating them. ;)

Waggy
02-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Since when does CBC care about turning a profit with ratings? And if they DO care, they need to fire basically everyone who works there except for the hockey people (and the soccer writers of course! Don't need Jeremy going all Impact fan on me)

My .02? It doesn't matter who any of us cheer for in the game. It matters that we're WATCHING the game. I'm going to be watching every game they play and cheering for who-ever Montreal is playing. But if Montreal wins I won't be upset. Its a win win for us. Either 1) Montreal gets embarrassed at home, or 2) something good happens for the ROYAL we (Canadian Soccer). Those are the only options. So while I'm not going to be cheering FOR Montreal, I won't exactly be cheering against them. Simply enjoying a big footy match involving a Canadian team in front of 40 000 Latinos and 5 000 Frenchmen. Is that too much to ask?

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-24-2009, 12:01 PM
well said...

The Sens are a perfect example of unconditional hate for a team!
No matter the situation... I will always hold a great contempt for Ottawa.
They are the dirt that sticks to the gum that is stuck to the bottom of my shoe.

I'm sure in time it will blossom into a full blown disgust... but for now I am more civil about it all.

Toronto FC is the one and only football club that I support.
But the sport of soccer as a whole means a lot to me (I have no problem watching any game on tv)
If Montreal winning is good for the exposure of soccer in Canada... then I prefer they succeed.
Aye. If it were the Sens (or Inter for that matter) I'd want them to lose whenever they played. I was laughing my ass off and loving every minute of their annihilation at the hands of Anaheim in the finals a couple years ago.

Having only played them twice, I haven't got that same level of contempt for L'Impact yet. At the moment the only team we've played I really can't stand are the Krew.