PDA

View Full Version : An early point of comparison?

bangersandmash
02-23-2009, 05:48 AM
FC Dallas played Swedish side Hacken yesterday. TFC will be playing them today. Dallas managed a draw, lets see how we fare. :)

I'm guessing that FC Dallas plays with no keeper. I'm only guessing, of course, but they must have been doing something wierd if Jeff Cunningham was able to bag a goal.

http://www.3rddegree.net/2009/02/monday-morning-gaffer-fcd-va-bk-hacken/

Lucky Strike
02-23-2009, 08:50 AM
FC Dallas played Swedish side Hacken yesterday. TFC will be playing them today. Dallas managed a draw, lets see how we fare. :)

I'm guessing that Hacken plays with no keeper. I'm only guessing, of course, but they must have been doing something wierd if Jeff Cunningham was able to bag a goal.

http://www.3rddegree.net/2009/02/monday-morning-gaffer-fcd-va-bk-hacken/

That's probably what you meant. But still, that can't be it, Cunty misses the target too much, maybe he put it through some pointy ball uprights or something.

brad
02-23-2009, 08:55 AM
There can be no valid comparison drawn from our result vs FC Dallas's result in this match. It's pre-season, and too many other things play a factor.

Toronto Gunner
02-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Brad's right - we don't even know if we'll be playing our A-team, or even what our A-team might look like in 3 weeks. Well... we have a pretty good idea, but you know what I mean.

torfchamilton
02-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Yeah we can't compare, b/c we beat FAU 3-0 and Dallas beat them 9-0, so hopefully there is no comparison.

Nuvinho
02-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Yeah we can't compare, b/c we beat FAU 3-0 and Dallas beat them 9-0, so hopefully there is no comparison.

Dallas beat FIU, not FAU.

trane
02-23-2009, 10:16 AM
For the record, the Swedish league is not a strong league. There is not a lot of money in the Swedish league so even the average Swedish player leaves Sweden to play in Denmark, Norway, Holland ect., while the top players go to Serie A, SPain and EPL ect..

torfchamilton
02-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Dallas beat FIU, not FAU. I guess I should have checked closer, since I used to live in South Florida and have actually been to both campuses :)

Nuvinho
02-23-2009, 10:33 AM
I guess I should have checked closer, since I used to live in South Florida and have actually been to both campuses :)

I did the same thing on Saturday, I was thinking to myself, if Dallas beat them 9-0, and we only beat them 3-0....how bad are we..then I realized it was FIU...haha!!!

Pigfynn
02-23-2009, 11:53 AM
How about we had a draw and a loss to the Whitecaps last year and the Sounders just beat them 4-0. I hope this isn't an early indication or April 4th could be a wake up call.

trane
02-23-2009, 12:07 PM
^ It could be, if the Sounders have kept a substial part of their USL roster they may have the type of cohesion of play that made Montreal and the Whitecaps competitive against us.

Shaughno
02-23-2009, 12:12 PM
^ It could be, if the Sounders have kept a substial part of their USL roster they may have the type of cohesion of play that made Montreal and the Whitecaps competitive against us.

People seem to think that Seattle is in the same position as we were upon our team being founded in the MLS. Except they have had this team for quite some time. The foundations have been laid for years and they are simply trying to upgrade to a MLS level team. They took the best of what they had, including team cohesion and scouting experience, and applied it to the current squad. It's a lot easier to break in a couple guys, then to try and create cohesion out of nothing.

That said, the Sounders organization also knows Vancouver all too well. They have played each other numerous times and their staff probably know more about the Caps than anyone on this board.

trane
02-23-2009, 12:31 PM
^ Agreed. Another reason that if I were the MLS, I would look at succesfull ( of and on the field) USL franchises to bring in the league, you will have an easier time selling tickets and putting a good product on the field.

rocker
02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
They took the best of what they had, including team cohesion

What do you mean by taking team cohesion?

I remember people saying "oh, Seattle can take their USL squad and just bump the whole thing up to MLS and do well!"

But they only took 3 guys from their USL team, and probably only 1 is gonna start (Le Toux). Not sure where the cohesion part comes from.

85% of their roster has never played together, so I think they'll have difficulties with cohesion at the MLS level, when the real games are played.