PDA

View Full Version : seattle's artificial turf the best in the league?

hodgkiss
02-22-2009, 11:05 PM
maybe we can rip ors out at bmo and replace it with this???

excerpt from the link below:

As well, Sunday's game marked the team's first game on the FieldTure surface at Qwest Field. There were no complaints.

"The surface played really well. It's for sure the best turf surface in the league," Schmid said. "The surfaces in Toronto or Giants Stadium aren't even close to comparable. This place is as close to grass as you can (get)."

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090222&content_id=219267&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

deeznutz
02-22-2009, 11:07 PM
first

AL-MO
02-22-2009, 11:09 PM
I am not surprised. When I refereed an RPB intersquad game there last summer I was not impressed at all.

Whoop
02-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Part of the problem is that it takes abuse year round.

The less it's used the better shape it would be in.

AL-MO
02-22-2009, 11:16 PM
I don't know if they actually will, but after 3 years of use it should probably be changed anyways....

Or are they just waiting to take it out when we get grass?! :canada:

redcard
02-22-2009, 11:16 PM
don't worry, once his teams starts loosing matches then he will blame the turf! As i recall Mo loved our turf when TFC was all nice and new..

Sigi cant start shitting on their turf hes new to the team and the team is new.

hodgkiss
02-22-2009, 11:17 PM
i'm not as surprised to hear this as i'm surprised that it wouldn't be annouced that we have changed the turf to this new stuff. mlse has tons of money and would probably make a lot of the players a lot happier (and may even attract some better ones) if they changed it. obviously a natural surface would be best but maybe as a happy medium, they could settle on this stuff.

mo, make it happen!

Shakes McQueen
02-22-2009, 11:17 PM
If it's new, I'm not surprised. Give it a couple of years of the Seahawks and Sounders playing on it, and my guess is the rave reviews will start to go away. :D

The turf at BMO wouldn't be so bad, except it's been trampled to death.

They can have their turf. Once we get grass, we can look back and laugh.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
02-22-2009, 11:19 PM
i'm not as surprised to hear this as i'm surprised that it wouldn't be annouced that we have changed the turf to this new stuff. mlse has tons of money and would probably make a lot of the players a lot happier (and may even attract some better ones) if they changed it. obviously a natural surface would be best but maybe as a happy medium, they could settle on this stuff.

mo, make it happen!

No way they are going to blow money on putting in new, state of the art turf, when the wheels are already turning on getting grass installed sooner than later.

- Scott

colman1860
02-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Come on...you cant actually use mlsnet as a legit source. We were reading alot of the same nonsense about BMO a couple years ago..."theres hardly any difference between this and real grass" etc. Just wait until the injuries start piling up, and Seattle will be clamouring for real grass just like us. Except they have no hope since theyre not the only team in their cavernous stadium. I thought having an SSS was necessary for expansion?

dantdot
02-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Sounds like the standard line everyone gives to soften the criticism of playing on shit.

colman1860
02-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Sigi wants to attract players, because (despite all the positive publicity Seattle is getting for their ticket sales) their squad is useless. Is he really going to come out and start complaining about how shitty the field is?

Stryker
02-22-2009, 11:21 PM
No way they are going to blow money on putting in new, state of the art turf, when the wheels are already turning on getting grass installed sooner than later.

- Scott
Dear god I hope you're right. Hopefully 2010 will be the year.
Our players deserve better than green concrete!!!

drewski
02-22-2009, 11:24 PM
thats what happens when you have an NFL team as the main tenant and one of the richest men in the world as an owner

drewski
02-22-2009, 11:28 PM
No way they are going to blow money on putting in new, state of the art turf, when they are selling out the stadium and have a massive waiting list with the existing turf

fixed

Shakes McQueen
02-22-2009, 11:39 PM
fixed

I'm surprised you didn't just throw in a "ML$E" for good measure.

We have personal confirmation from Paul Beirne and Mayor Miller that they are working on getting grass sooner than later, and while you may be cynical enough to think that Paul is lying to us, I find it hard to imagine that the mayor is trying to play to the lucrative "TFC vote".

- Scott

drewski
02-22-2009, 11:45 PM
to be honest I havne't been around long enough to read about anything mr beirne has said. in general, I'm very cynical of MLSE (never seen ML$E, will have to use that, thanks) and i'd be far more likely to a a piece of dirt then I would miller in regards to anything.

Stryker
02-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Whenever the day does come that the turf at BMO is ripped up to make way for grass I think it would be a nice touch for the club to invite the supporters groups.
A ceremonial massacre if you will. :D

loconet
02-23-2009, 12:28 AM
I want..
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3197/2989963776_392cb4be35.jpg?v=0

Stryker
02-23-2009, 12:35 AM
I want..

Red seats? We have those. Duh. :D

cy43
02-23-2009, 12:37 AM
This is like being the tallest of the 7 dwarves.

I want grass.

Marc"2L"
02-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Can the club at least make some sort of announcement about progress, plans, etc. etc. If supporters should be doing anything "active" and a wee bit insurgent, a grass campaign could be a theme for the season.

The problem I think, is the times.

tfcmanu
02-23-2009, 01:10 AM
I want..
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3197/2989963776_392cb4be35.jpg?v=0

http://www.salem-news.com/stimg/october112007/marijuana310.jpg

Cashcleaner
02-23-2009, 02:03 AM
Does anyone know how long the Sounders intend on playing at Qwest Field? It's an open-ended agreement they have, isn't it?

Mark in Ottawa
02-23-2009, 07:44 AM
I want..
Yeah... a roof wouldn't be a bad addition at all. ;)

joel
02-23-2009, 09:07 AM
That's so funny he mentions Toronto and Giants Stadium in the same sentence, it just indicates he has no clue. Giants Stadium is concrete with carpet, I've played on it. It is nothing like the BMO FieldTurf. QWEST was given a turf update last spring, I highly doubt it is much different than the BMO turf, other than the maintenance possibly. I would assume the Seahawks would spend a lot more of ground care.

Oldtimer
02-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Whenever the day does come that the turf at BMO is ripped up to make way for grass I think it would be a nice touch for the club to invite the supporters groups.
A ceremonial massacre if you will. :D

A great idea. We could all rip it up with our bare hands, we hate it so much. or even better, melt it with flares!

drewski
02-23-2009, 09:31 AM
A great idea. We could all rip it up with our bare hands, we hate it so much. or even better, melt it with flares!

or sell it

or give it to a high school

Mikey
02-23-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm sure that if we get the 2015 Pan Am games that it would be an opportunity to expand BMO field with public money and put in real grass at the same time....:rolleyes:

Cashcleaner
02-24-2009, 02:09 AM
^ I was thinking of that today as well. Quite a few existing facilities across the GTA could be renovated or expanded to make way for Pan-Am events, and I think it would be a great opportunity for us to see some extra seats and amenities built at BMO Field.

Dirk Diggler
02-24-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm sure that if we get the 2015 Pan Am games that it would be an opportunity to expand BMO field with public money and put in real grass at the same time....:rolleyes:

I don't think BMO Field would be expanded. 20,000 is quite big enough for whatever events they have planed for BMO. The primary athletic stadium will be in Hamilton where as the opening and closing ceremonies will be at Skydome.

drewski
02-24-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't think BMO Field would be expanded. 20,000 is quite big enough for whatever events they have planed for BMO. The primary athletic stadium will be in Hamilton where as the opening and closing ceremonies will be at Skydome.

according to the plans, football is the only sport they have planned for BMO

druid
02-24-2009, 05:32 PM
maybe we can rip ors out at bmo and replace it with this???

excerpt from the link below:

As well, Sunday's game marked the team's first game on the FieldTure surface at Qwest Field. There were no complaints.

"The surface played really well. It's for sure the best turf surface in the league," Schmid said. "The surfaces in Toronto or Giants Stadium aren't even close to comparable. This place is as close to grass as you can (get)."

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090222&content_id=219267&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Not surprising. BMO isn't even the best artificial surface in Toronto.