PDA

View Full Version : No Freddie for TFC Home Opener

Damien
02-20-2009, 11:05 AM
I know how many of you will be upset about this... ;)

http://24thminute.blogspot.com/2009/02/no-freddie-for-opener.html

flatpicker
02-20-2009, 11:07 AM
I want a refund on my season tickets!

sully
02-20-2009, 11:08 AM
who cares.. we get to see Brennan, DeRo, Vitti, mystery CB, etc..!

Stouffville_RPB
02-20-2009, 11:09 AM
THEY ARE AFRAID OF US ALREADY!!!

Good work RPB's!!!

REDJUVE
02-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Better for us.

Nuvinho
02-20-2009, 11:10 AM
I hope both Freddie's don't play

Stryker
02-20-2009, 11:19 AM
No Freddie for TFC Home Opener

That sucks

for Seattle.

:lol::lol::lol: :dita:

TorontoBlades
02-20-2009, 12:00 PM
The most telling comment...

Meanwhile Seattle fans are left to reflect on why it is that MLS punishes teams that take the risk of signing a DP.

...something that I'm hearing more often than I thought I would. And I was (still am) a heavy believer that we need a DP.

rocker
02-20-2009, 12:05 PM
suck that Seattle! :)

you didn't just sign a DP, you signed a DP who already had injury issues. This isn't MLS's fault (even though I'd like to see the DP rules relaxed).. yes, it's risky thanks to MLS to sign a DP at all. But you're just adding risk to risk when you sign a guy who already had injuries.

TorontoBlades
02-20-2009, 12:10 PM
can't blame the MLS. Those are the rules, Seattle might have been better suited to note that with all those season tix already sold, you might want to take a page out of Mo's books and develop a culture and team first before you decide where to stick the crown jewel.

bee dubya
02-20-2009, 12:36 PM
It seems that Seattle have made some good moves, with the exception of signing Freddie L. I think they're going to surprise people this year and with their excellent ticket sales, they should enjoy some serious home field advantage. I think we can only hope that more of the new expansion teams are run like TFC and Seattle, it will only make the league better as a whole.

rocker
02-20-2009, 12:58 PM
i didn't like Seattle's expansion draft though. too many weird/surprising picks.

Lucky Strike
02-20-2009, 01:02 PM
i didn't like Seattle's expansion draft though. too many weird/surprising picks.

Yeah they had a chance of building something really good; it was a very deep expansion draft but at least half of those picks puzzled me.

Oblio2
02-20-2009, 01:09 PM
F -Freddie...ex-Gooner scumbag :)

loconet
02-20-2009, 01:28 PM
I had completely forgotten about Freddie. lol.. These pretty DPs are afraid of BMO field.

rocker
02-20-2009, 01:49 PM
don't forget Seattle has a load of allocation money, and clearly they are spending it.
I'd like to see what happens in years 2 and 3, as that money pool dries out.

speaking of expansion teams and signing/drafting strategy, did you guys see that the first of San Jose's 2 Superdraft picks just had surgery and will be gone for the season. Doh! I bet they'd like that #2 pick back that got us Cronin. I don't really understand what San Jose is doing. They knew the draft pick had injury probs but took the word of his college coach that it was nothing.. then they do an MRI and the guy is gonzo for a year.

jabbronies
02-20-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't really understand what San Jose is doing. They knew the draft pick had injury probs but took the word of his college coach that it was nothing.. then they do an MRI and the guy is gonzo for a year.

Kinda like how we took o'brien white...but I guess that was less risky cos we got him so late in the draft.

rocker
02-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Kinda like how we took o'brien white...but I guess that was less risky cos we got him so late in the draft.

TFC knew White was hurt (indeed, that's why he dropped as far as he did so TFC could take him after they picked Cronin). San Jose didn't know this guy would miss even 1 game of the season, and he was their #1 pick.

TFC picked White with eyes wide open.. San Jose had no clue.

Hitcho
02-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I want a refund on my season tickets!

:rofl:

This is great news. I want that home opener to be a rampaging win for TFC, set the benchmark for the season.

THIS IS OUR HOUSE!!!

Damien
02-20-2009, 04:59 PM
I have a feeling Seattle will still end up higher on the table than say San Jose/Colorado/Dallas & maybe even the LA Gals.

Toronto Gunner
02-20-2009, 05:03 PM
I hope he comes to see the fans at least, maybe I can get him to sign an old Arsenal shirt... naw. He was good in his prime, but there's no way I could put up a freddie jersey in my office now, it would seem traitorous.

Broadview
02-20-2009, 06:59 PM
As long as Jarrod Smith makes it.

akoto
02-20-2009, 08:14 PM
I hope he comes to see the fans at least, maybe I can get him to sign an old Arsenal shirt... naw. He was good in his prime, but there's no way I could put up a freddie jersey in my office now, it would seem traitorous.

Don't do it! I'm a huge Arsenal fan but I would rather have a Cashley Cole Jersey up in my Office then a Ljungberg one now.

Canadian Blue
02-20-2009, 09:29 PM
DP's don't play in T.O

we need a massive banner thats says "DP free Zone"

TFC 420
02-20-2009, 09:35 PM
DP's don't play in T.O

lol. That would be a good banner for opening day.

twistedchinaman
02-20-2009, 09:37 PM
I know how many of you will be upset about this... ;)

http://24thminute.blogspot.com/2009/02/no-freddie-for-opener.html

We're heartbroken. :D

rocker
02-20-2009, 09:42 PM
DP's don't play in T.O

I`d prefer a banner like

``De Ro is Our DP!``

or ``Who Needs a DP When Ya Got DeRo!``

billyfly
02-20-2009, 10:55 PM
DP's don't play in T.O

We in aisle 15 will help you hold it up!

Fiin
02-21-2009, 06:21 PM
LOL @ the part where he crosses out gimpy

mighty_torontofc_2008
02-21-2009, 06:44 PM
i want the three points if he is here or not..Seattle will be tough this season..but like TFC ints first season will also struggle.

Pachuco
02-22-2009, 12:55 AM
can't blame the MLS. Those are the rules, Seattle might have been better suited to note that with all those season tix already sold, you might want to take a page out of Mo's books and develop a culture and team first before you decide where to stick the crown jewel.

For all you know Seattle finishes higher in the standings this year then we did our expansion year. They sure do seem to be off to a better start, WITH or without a DP.

rocker
02-22-2009, 10:20 AM
For all you know Seattle finishes higher in the standings this year then we did our expansion year. They sure do seem to be off to a better start, WITH or without a DP.

what do you mean by "off to a better start"? season hasn't even started yet.. not sure where you came up with that assessment.

Pachuco
02-22-2009, 10:49 AM
what do you mean by "off to a better start"? season hasn't even started yet.. not sure where you came up with that assessment.

You can't tell me that they seem a hell of alot more organized then we were in our first offseason. They have a better roster compared to that pathetic roster we had going into game 1.

Sure, the fact that they were a USL team before hand gives them a head start, and all I'm saying is that this guy is writing off Seattle because their DP is hurt for the first month of the season. Maybe he should wait until they actually play a game before he writes them off.

ensco
02-22-2009, 10:52 AM

I agree with this. Way too much hype around what a great start Seattle are off to.

At this point in 2007 TFC had 3/4 cornerstone/valuable players:
Brennan, Robinson, and O'Brien, and maybe Sutton

plus a bunch of guys who didn't work out:
Mulrooney (turned into Dunivant), Welsh, Braz, Reda, Casey, Pozniak,

plus a number 1 overall pick (Edu)

Now look at Seattle's roster. Obviously no one knows how this will work out, and they have a nice group of prospects (King, Evans, Ianni, Nyassi)....but are there 3/4 cornerstone players, who will be there in two years, on this list? I would bet against it.

http://www.soundersfc.com/Team/Roster.aspx

Pachuco
02-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Kasey Keller, Nate Jacqua, Tyrone Marshall and I have no idea how you don't mention Freddy Montero or Zakuani who was 1st overall pick.

On paper, this is by far a better roster then we had our first year. If you disagree that's ok, we'll just have to wait and see.

Nuvinho
02-22-2009, 12:50 PM
I rather have Ljumberg play, and have Montero sit out. Montero has the ability to tear our backline apart (our current backline I mean).

ensco
02-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Kasey Keller, Nate Jacqua, Tyrone Marshall and I have no idea how you don't mention Freddy Montero or Zakuani who was 1st overall pick.

On paper, this is by far a better roster then we had our first year. If you disagree that's ok, we'll just have to wait and see.

Only guy who excites me on your list is Montero. You're right - typo on my part. We had nothing like that (not sure any other MLS team ever has either, I'll give you/them that). But as for the rest? meh. Jaqua and Marshall are journeymen. Keller will only be useful for a year or two - he's a stopgap.

rocker
02-22-2009, 01:18 PM
seattle has a bunch of nobodies and castoffs as a central core, with a few old, formerly star players sprinkled in with a couple good prospects.

they have to prove themselves capable first.

Pachuco
02-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Sounders FC shuts out Whitecaps 4-0
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420ap_soc_whitecaps_sounders.html

I have no doubt that seattle will prove this year that they are a better team then we ever were our first year. How anyone can argue that they aren't better on paper is beyond me.

Nuvinho
02-22-2009, 08:20 PM
^^ I am one to agree with you. Seattle looks good on paper.

ensco
02-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Sounders FC shuts out Whitecaps 4-0
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420ap_soc_whitecaps_sounders.html

I have no doubt that seattle will prove this year that they are a better team then we ever were our first year. How anyone can argue that they aren't better on paper is beyond me.

Well, you're including Nate Jaqua and Tyrone Marshall on your list of big-time names, and some other people aren't buying it.

Toronto_Bhoy
02-22-2009, 10:14 PM
People! Is anyone surprised?

Seattle are fools.

rocker
02-23-2009, 01:38 AM

My issue is not with whether Seattle is gonna be better than TFC's 25-point first season. If they don't get 25 points they are pathetic. We had lots of injuries, and then San Jose bested our total yet still finished last. Finishing last is finishing last, no matter how many points you get.

My problem is with people who are predicting Seattle will be a good team (not in the bottom or last place). I've seen people think Seattle will grab that 8th playoff spot! Those people are assessing Seattle too much on hype and not on reality... the reality is Seattle has almost no proven players... Even on paper, Seattle's team still looks like shit. Let me explain:

Proven players you can count on (if not injured)
----------------------------------------------------
Marshall
Keller
Ljungberg
Vagenas -- let go in expansion draft by worst team in league (tied)
Riley -- let go in expansion draft by worst team in league (tied)

These guys have played significant numbers of games and have been starters. But you need more than 5 guys to field a team... so....

Unproven players you can't count on yet
------------------------------------
Eylander -- backup keeper to Keller with no MLS experience, just USL
Evans -- played only 1 full season in MLS, let go in expansion draft
Ianni -- played about 10 games a year in his MLS career
Wahl -- played about 10 games a year in his MLS career
Alonso -- cuban defector who has never played in MLS, just 1 season of USL + Cuban league
Le Toux -- never played in MLS, but very good in USL
Sturgis -- played about 10 games a year in his MLS career, let go in expansion draft
Smith -- played on one season in MLS, mostly as an ineffective sub with TFC, let go in expansion draft and most TFC fans laughed that he was chosen over the other Smith
King -- one season in MLS, mostly as a sub, let go in expansion draft
Montero -- never played in MLS, but has great promise
Zakuani -- college player in a league where college players almost never make an impact right away, never played in MLS yet
Jacqua -- journeyman striker, 1 goal every 3.78 games in his career, which ain't top notch, let go in two different expansion drafts
Nyassi -- a kid who's hardly played pro ever
Graham -- USL player, failed to stick with MLS, playing just 29 MLS games over 3-4 seasons before retreating back to USL twice

This is just a quick glance at the resumes of these guys. Honestly I have seen almost none of them play with my own eyes. But there's a lot of risk in that group. My guess is most of these guys will not improve significantly, but they'll get playing time cuz Seattle has no choice. But if you're starting unproven players at 6 positions every night, you're screwed. And if, god forbid, Ljundberg gets hurt (he's already missing the first few games of the season) and another of the "proven" guys.. then you are going to have to go down the depth chart and play guys who aren't even deserving of sitting on an MLS bench.

I think their best hope is they find chemistry fast, all the "provens" play all season and perform well, Montero proves himself to be a great scorer, Jacqua increases his scoring rate, they find 4 other guys from the "unprovens" who are solid MLS starters, and they don't have any injuries. Even if that's the case, they'll still be near the bottom. If some of these things don't come true, they'll be at the bottom like every other expansion team recently.

Pachuco
02-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Well, you're including Nate Jaqua and Tyrone Marshall on your list of big-time names, and some other people aren't buying it.

Yeah right, that's exactly what I said. That these guys are big time players and they'll take Seattle to a cup this year.

If you just read the fucking thread you'll realize that my only argument is that they are off to a better start then we ever were in year 1. People are crucifying Seattle because they signed a DP who could be hurt all season. All I'm saying is that it's their first year in the MLS, they have promising stars, and they have done a better job at signing players then we did our first year. Even if Ljunberg doesn't play a single game in the MLS.

BTW - Seattle is 5-1 in pre-season action. On paper, AND pre-season stats show that they would've crushed our first team ever.

ensco
02-23-2009, 12:09 PM
I read your thread. I say Brennan, Robinson, O'Brien and Mulrooney are as good as the top 4 or 5 guys on Seattle, which includes Jaqua and Marshall, neither of whom I think much of. You seem to think this is insane, and are going over the top about the whole thing. I got it.

TorontoBlades
02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Yeah right, that's exactly what I said. That these guys are big time players and they'll take Seattle to a cup this year.

If you just read the fucking thread you'll realize that my only argument is that they are off to a better start then we ever were in year 1. People are crucifying Seattle because they signed a DP who could be hurt all season. All I'm saying is that it's their first year in the MLS, they have promising stars, and they have done a better job at signing players then we did our first year. Even if Ljunberg doesn't play a single game in the MLS.

BTW - Seattle is 5-1 in pre-season action. On paper, AND pre-season stats show that they would've crushed our first team ever.

....if a team being good on paper meant half a shit...Spurs would be playing in Europe every year :D

rocker
02-23-2009, 12:38 PM

pre-season scorelines never mean anything...

I mean, TFC played two 50 minute games and then played a college team.. yet somehow the scores mean something???

Even the biased journalist who does the video reports for the Sounders said that Vancouver clearly did not look fit enough yet to really challenge.

Anyhow, call me when Seattle is winning games that count :)

Oblio2
02-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Pre-season?
HA HA HA HA

Pre-season means NOTHING

rocker
02-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Pre-season?
HA HA HA HA

Pre-season means NOTHING

yup... don't forget the winner of the Charleston Challenge Cup last year, finishing ahead of NYRB and TFC was.................. San Jose Earthquakes!!!
6 goals for, 1 against... undefeated... They even beat the Red Bulls 3-0 in that cup... sadly, it did not lead to expansion team greatness.

Pachuco
02-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I read your thread. I say Brennan, Robinson, O'Brien and Mulrooney are as good as the top 4 or 5 guys on Seattle, which includes Jaqua and Marshall, neither of whom I think much of. You seem to think this is insane, and are going over the top about the whole thing. I got it.

You are right, they are as good. No one is arguing that. It's the rest of the roster that makes them better then TFC's in year 1. Aside from the names you just named on TFC, who else is still on the team? probably no one. The rest of our roster was made up of loser USL players with no promise. Seattle has some prospect in there that we wish we had in year 1.

Pachuco
02-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Pre-season?
HA HA HA HA

Pre-season means NOTHING

Our first TFC team would'nt have beat orange pilons. THAT means something.

Pachuco
02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
yup... don't forget the winner of the Charleston Challenge Cup last year, finishing ahead of NYRB and TFC was.................. San Jose Earthquakes!!!
6 goals for, 1 against... undefeated... They even beat the Red Bulls 3-0 in that cup... sadly, it did not lead to expansion team greatness.

They sure did better then we did our first year didn't they?

TorontoBlades
02-23-2009, 02:24 PM
They sure did better then we did our first year didn't they?

No we both didn't qualify for shit. I would say they actually did worse, mortgaging their future (draft picks) for players to make them marginally better and still out of the playoffs in their first year. Although we were crap in our first year, we laid down a foundation and a plan that would make us solid going forward...

Tintin
02-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Zakuani -- college player in a league where college players almost never make an impact right away, never played in MLS yet

What about Edu and Wynne?

migo073
02-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Freddy is damaged goods ... he will play 1/3 of the season & get paid all $. Remind you of someone? He's too sexy for Milan (I know bad hint)

Peace:noidea: