PDA

View Full Version : The (American) Conservative War on Football in America

Oldtimer
02-20-2009, 09:44 AM
The (American) Conservative War on Football in America

American Conservatives hate Football. That is no secret to many, since the internationalist, multi-lingual, team oriented approach to the game debunk the conservative notion of Americana, individualism and nativist.To a lesser extent conservatives dislike Basketball also, a more international, less violent game than the sport of American football.

But Basketball is an American game played well by the United States, so many sportswriters and fans lay off the game only complaining when it conflicts with Football and Baseball. (Something I know all too well in conservative Florida where college sports fans would rather hear about the recruitment of some 17 year old high school kid than actual meaningful games on a Basketball court. When I cover Basketball instead of Football recruiting for a local college sports site, the complaints from my readers are frequent and quite vociferous.)

The sport of American Football is a favorite in conservative parts of the nation largely because it’s a violent game and a mind numbingly simple game whose coaches lack the intellect for the most part to be creative and not copy one another. (The recent copy cat trend of spread offenses in College Football is a perfect example. The originators of the spread, such as Florida’s Urban Meyer are bright intellectuals. Those who copy him are not and generally fail) You can almost predict the politics of a state or city based on whether (American) College Football or College Basketball is a more prominent sport: with notable exceptions like Kentucky and Kansas, the more liberal an area is, chances are they take college basketball more seriously: the more conservative they follow (American) College Football religiously.

Good read. The whole article is here:

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/the-american-conservative-war-on-football-in-america/2097

We have the same ideas here: just substitute hockey for American gridiron.

canadian_bhoy
02-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Good read. The whole article is here:

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/the-american-conservative-war-on-football-in-america/2097

We have the same ideas here: just substitute hockey for American gridiron.

This right here ruins the article for me:

"The sport of American Football is a favorite in conservative parts of the nation largely because it’s a violent game and a mind numbingly simple game whose coaches lack the intellect for the most part to be creative and not copy one another."

American football coaching more than any other sport has a direct impact on the result of the game. In addition, American football coaches have been at the forefront of strategic coaching, technology and training techniques in all of sport.

Beach_Red
02-20-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm going to go read the article now, but I just wanted to say that's it not really fair to say you can simply substitute hockey.

"... the internationalist, multi-lingual, team oriented approach to the game debunk the conservative notion of Americana, individualism and nativist."

Sure, that's true, but hockey has become very internationalist and multi-lingual. Of course, that may very well be one of the reasons hockey can't really get inroads into the sun belt, the heartland of US conservatism (and I wish they'd call themselves something else ;)

Thanks for posting this link, it looks good.

Beach_Red
02-20-2009, 09:52 AM
American football coaching more than any other sport has a direct impact on the result of the game. In addition, American football coaches have been at the forefront of strategic coaching, technology and training techniques in all of sport.

Maybe that's true for college football.

The thing that turns me off the NFL the most is that it's the most-coached sport out there, it's been micro-managed to death.

I didn't follow soccer till TFC came to town but it's such a breath of fresh air to see a game where the players actually play, communicate with each other on the field and don't stop every eight seconds to go and ask the coach what to do.

Shakes McQueen
02-20-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm generally considered a liberal, but I think this article is kind of ridiculous. It's making incredibly tenuous connections between the success of American football, the relative unpopularity of association football, and conservative ideology - all hiding behind a lot of overly verbose, intellectual sounding jibber-jabber.

Lot's of ignorant fuckwads have tried to conflate soccer hooliganism and terrorism - the fact that some of the idiots at Fox News did it too, doesn't demonstrate anything regarding conservatism in America.

He further asserts that Beckham was reviled as an "unwelcome foreigner" by the media in Los Angeles, when he signed with the Galaxy, without actually sourcing any incidences of this.

The entire crux of his argument, seems to surround Fox News, and some stupid shit they said and did. And yes, it is stupid. But to then take that, and use it as proof of some larger point regarding political ideology and football, is - to be frank - fucking stupid.

He also conveniently ignores that Rupert Murdoch launched Fox Soccer Channel.

Here's a good primer on the intellectual merits of his argument. The first paragraph:

American Conservatives hate Football. That is no secret to many, since the internationalist, multi-lingual, team oriented approach to the game debunk the conservative notion of Americana, individualism and nativist.To a lesser extent conservatives dislike Basketball also, a more international, less violent game than the sport of American football.Yeah, he really says that American conservatives hate association football, because of the team play. Since American football isn't played by teams, apparently.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
02-20-2009, 10:01 AM

"The sport of American Football is a favorite in conservative parts of the nation largely because it’s a violent game and a mind numbingly simple game whose coaches lack the intellect for the most part to be creative and not copy one another."

That quote is just one of many where the writer pretty transparently substitutes factual statements, for his own personal bias. The entire article is riddled with this kind of stuff.

- Scott

Steve
02-20-2009, 10:05 AM

The thing that turns me off the NFL the most is that it's the most-coached sport out there, it's been micro-managed to death.

I didn't follow soccer till TFC came to town but it's such a breath of fresh air to see a game where the players actually play, communicate with each other on the field and don't stop every eight seconds to go and ask the coach what to do.

Yes, but the article is trying to say that the game of american football is simple and the coaches stupid. Sorry, but that isn't the case at all. Sure, it can be said that many PLAYERS on a football team don't need to have much sense or creativity (just because of how micromanaged it is) but the coaches have to have much more during the game. I mean, for soccer, the coaches job is almost over by gametime. Sure he can give a rousing speech, and yell at his players (if they can hear him) but at most he can make three real changes in the game, and as often as not those changes are made for the sake of injecting new legs instead of altering the strategy. In american football, the coaches have a direct radio connection to the field. They create the plays, they drill the players on the plays, and they tell them exactly when to execute them. It's like a big game of chess played by the opposing coaches.

I'm not making a value judgement on the sport, but those who call american football nothing but mindless violence are no better than those who call soccer boring and sissy.

NF-FC
02-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Did anyone watch the link to the Fox News video? It's crazy, they actually said "by hosting the world cup we bring in greasy foreigners, and they bring their greasy money" and "soccer players are terrorists". How can Fox get away with being so blatantly racist?

drewski
02-20-2009, 10:08 AM

all very true.

and as somebody who has spent time teaching his g/f the game, its far from simple LOL

quote from her, "why couldn't it be simple...like soccer"

canadian_bhoy
02-20-2009, 10:08 AM
On the other side of the coin - the film "Soccer in the New World" suggests that the sport "failed" in America not because of conservatism and underlying racism towards ethnic minorities, if failed because during the first world war baseball became a rallying point for "america"...in order to survive, soccer began marketing itself as a sport for ethnic minorities and in a roundabout way, pushed away the average american.

Shakes McQueen
02-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Did anyone watch the link to the Fox News video? It's crazy, they actually said "by hosting the world cup we bring in greasy foreigners, and they bring their greasy money" and "soccer players are terrorists". How can Fox get away with being so blatantly racist?

Have you ever watched Fox News before? haha.

Of course, the way to fight ignorance like this, is not to go off and write an equally ignorant article about how conservatives just hate soccer because they are all backwards, militaristic, racist hicks who hate team play sports.

- Scott

canadian_bhoy
02-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Yes, but the article is trying to say that the game of american football is simple and the coaches stupid. Sorry, but that isn't the case at all. Sure, it can be said that many PLAYERS on a football team don't need to have much sense or creativity (just because of how micromanaged it is) but the coaches have to have much more during the game. I mean, for soccer, the coaches job is almost over by gametime. Sure he can give a rousing speech, and yell at his players (if they can hear him) but at most he can make three real changes in the game, and as often as not those changes are made for the sake of injecting new legs instead of altering the strategy. In american football, the coaches have a direct radio connection to the field. They create the plays, they drill the players on the plays, and they tell them exactly when to execute them. It's like a big game of chess played by the opposing coaches.

I'm not making a value judgement on the sport, but those who call american football nothing but mindless violence are no better than those who call soccer boring and sissy.

I agree.

Beach, I hear what you're saying in terms of micromanaging, but my comment was in response to the article saying that American football coaches are idiots.

In addition to Steve's points, American football has also been at the forefront of technology in coaching. They were the ones who brought in the headsets to communicate with coaching taking a "bird's eye view". You now see people like Sam Allardyce using an ear piece and I'm sure there are lot of others.

American Football coaches were breaking down game/practice film back in the 60's - you didn't see that in Hockey until the 80's and now you're seeing things like ProZone and such.

My only disagreement with Steve's post would be that soccer coaches do have more influence than just making subs. Look at TFC and some of the rotating and switching flanks we see with our players...that's all carver playing with the formation in game.

Beach_Red
02-20-2009, 10:22 AM
In addition to Steve's points, American football has also been at the forefront of technology in coaching. They were the ones who brought in the headsets to communicate with coaching taking a "bird's eye view". You now see people like Sam Allardyce using an ear piece and I'm sure there are lot of others.

American Football coaches were breaking down game/practice film back in the 60's - you didn't see that in Hockey until the 80's and now you're seeing things like ProZone and such.

All true. And all problems for me. None of that technology really improved the game on the field.

Better training and prep, sure, that made huge improvements.

It's really a personal preference, but what I like about soccer is that the coaches job IS pretty much over when the game starts. I just like a sport that comes down to the players.

None of us think it would be a good idea to involve the coaches more in a soccer game - unlimited substitution, time outs all over the place, specialized players that go in for a set-play and then come out again.

American football didn't use to have those things either. Chuck Knoll, my favourite coach of all time let Terry Bradshaw (Terry Bradshaw?!?!) call his own plays. Knoll said when the game starts it's up to the players. But it isn't anymore.

And, there is a case to be made for equating it with the rise of American Conservatism (which is pretty far from what I'd call real conservatism, but that we need to take to off topic ;)) which is a very top-down, boss in charge kind of view (which makes it different from real conservatism, but again... ;)).

The article also makes the point that Americans aren't interested in international events that they don't win. But that's changing. US conservatism is on the run, they can't get any new customers to buy their product. And soccer is becoming more popular. It was clearly sneered at by conservatives, calling people, "Soccer moms," as a negative as opposed to tough, gritty, "hockey moms."

as "liberal" America starts to reassert itself as the majority it really is, you'll see America start to be more involved in the rest of the world and soccer will gain in popularity.

druid
02-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Aren't both American Football and Basketball Canadian games?

drewski
02-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Aren't both American Football and Basketball Canadian games?

basketball was invented by a Canadian but it was invented in America for Americans, and thats where it was popularized, so really, its an American game

as for football, I don't know of anything that would tie it to being a Canadian sport

Steve
02-20-2009, 10:39 AM
All true. And all problems for me. None of that technology really improved the game on the field.

Better training and prep, sure, that made huge improvements.

It's really a personal preference, but what I like about soccer is that the coaches job IS pretty much over when the game starts. I just like a sport that comes down to the players.

None of us think it would be a good idea to involve the coaches more in a soccer game - unlimited substitution, time outs all over the place, specialized players that go in for a set-play and then come out again.

Exactly. Personally, I see the up sides of both. In american football, essentially a coach is a "player" in the game. They're like the general, they control the entire game. Sure, if you're used to games like soccer, it can feel a little like too much control, but to me it's just a different aspect of the game. The coaches are pitting their minds directly against each other. Offencive and defensive coaches have a player on the field they're in constant communication with. They have to understand the play on the field, the flow of the game, and perhaps more importantly, outguess the opposing coach. Then, even if the coach does all that, the players need to come through. In american football the coaches aren't just someone to train the team and get them ready for the game, they're members of the team. That being said, I still enjoy soccer much more, but I've recently started to appreciate american football more than I ever have before (just like before TFC started, I didn't understand/enjoy soccer at all).

drewski
02-20-2009, 10:43 AM
as "liberal" America starts to reassert itself as the majority it really is, you'll see America start to be more involved in the rest of the world and soccer will gain in popularity.

politics is a pendulum that goes back and forth between conservatism and liberals (there only but a few times, usually during wars) that either "side" has held power for more then 8-10 years

given that, I don't think the growth rate will increase all that much more then it would given a conservative administration given the growth of the sport during past liberal and conservative power periods (assuming a typical exponential growth pattern)

Beach_Red
02-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Exactly. Personally, I see the up sides of both. In american football, essentially a coach is a "player" in the game. They're like the general, they control the entire game. Sure, if you're used to games like soccer, it can feel a little like too much control,

Or if you're really old and remember the way American football used to beplayed :D.

I can still watch American football and enjoy some games. One thing I really noticed, though, was the best high lights from a soccer game are when a play goes perfectly, the great passes, the great cross, the great finish. the best high lights from American football are the broken play, the one goes badly, quarterback forced out of the pocket, desperate pass to the third receiver on the play, way overthrown but he catches it anyway.

Odd, how the soccer coach seems to be getting very little credit for the play that worked and the football coach is getting a lot of credit for the play that didn't ;).

Beach_Red
02-20-2009, 10:46 AM
politics is a pendulum that goes back and forth between conservatism and liberals (there only but a few times, usually during wars) that either "side" has held power for more then 8-10 years

And pendulums within pendulums. I'm like a lot of people, I want the pendulum within the conservatives to move back to where it used to be.

ExiledRed
02-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Sure, that's true, but hockey has become very internationalist and multi-lingual. Of course, that may very well be one of the reasons hockey can't really get inroads into the sun belt

I think more likely, it's because the sun belt isn't a natural environment for ice.

The same reason that beach volleyball never really took off in Norway :noidea:

trane
02-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Thats funny because that is probably my biggest problem with the MLS, that the teams are not well coached, and look like they undercoached, or sometimes not coached at all. Which for me makes it very hard to watch at times. That is why I was happy with Carver comming over to hopefully chance this at least for TFC.

Fort York Redcoat
02-20-2009, 10:56 AM
I don't agree with some of the article facts to back it but the message rings true.

flatpicker
02-20-2009, 10:59 AM
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jyR-huKWmqw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jyR-huKWmqw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

ExiledRed
02-20-2009, 11:13 AM
^^

Posting vids of useless people jerking each other off, is wholly inappropriate for this board I think.

shame on you flats.

flatpicker
02-20-2009, 11:17 AM
you're really giving me a hard time lately Exiled!

sheesh! I think I might cry!

Super Cereal
02-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Not a fan of the article really. The quote about football's simplicity, and unintelligent coaches really turned me off. Football is one of the sports where a team's play is heavily influenced by coaches. Most coaches are intelligent, and great at their trade, and very few suffer from lack of creativity. The simplicity of it, is really just a stupid line. Any sport can be broken down to be considered simple if you try hard enough.

I don't see the comparison of hockey at all. Believe it or not, hockey shares many things with soccer. Hockey, like soccerm has a heavy European influence, and many dressing rooms are not only bilingual, but even trilingual. As well, hockey is similar to soccer in that both sports have meaningful international play. Most soccer fans I talk to enjoy soccer, and it's no secret many hockey players (especially NHL teams) warmup by playing soccer in the halls of their arenas a few hours before games. The hockey comparison doesn't really fit at all.

pubboy
02-20-2009, 11:43 AM

The thing that turns me off the NFL, is that its crap. The sport is crap.
Football all the way (proper football that is !):smilewinkgrin:

Laurignano
02-20-2009, 11:43 AM
nothing pisses me off more then these american conservatives. I want to do a Video conference call to these guys with Nigel and rip them apart on national t.v.

Super
02-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Oh for fucks sake, people. Red Eye is a tongue-in-cheek politics/comedy show. They're always outrageous on that show. But I guess the Daily Show is also considered serious journalism and the real news?

COME ON!!!!

Let me know when Hannity says anything like this and we can talk Fox News.

T_Mizz
02-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah did you hear that guy talk about how Obama has everything to do with the world cup? also the guy who said we have a 100% mortality rate the show's clearly having a laugh, now O'reilly on the other hand...

TFC07
02-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Well written article. I agree with it 100%. Majority of American and Canadian right-wings I have met in the past hate soccer and basketball a lot. According to them (the ones I have met), only wimps play basketball and soccer.

LucaGol
02-20-2009, 12:37 PM
I've been making this argument for years.

drewski
02-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Oh for fucks sake, people. Red Eye is a tongue-in-cheek politics/comedy show. They're always outrageous on that show. But I guess the Daily Show is also considered serious journalism and the real news?

never heard of Red Eye before, then again, I keep a good distance from Fox News in general

TFC07
02-20-2009, 12:43 PM
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jyR-huKWmqw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jyR-huKWmqw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

fucking americans!!!

oxygenatedbrain
02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
You know what I hate about "stupid Americans"? Huh? How they post the same YouTube clips on every page of a thread!!! Oh I hate that...

trane
02-20-2009, 01:14 PM
There is a major difference between Red Eye and the Daily Show; the Daily Show is funny.

JonO
02-20-2009, 01:22 PM
There is a major difference between Red Eye and the Daily Show; the Daily Show is funny.
Beat me to it trane

trane
02-20-2009, 01:27 PM
^ I new someone would say it, I figured I might as well step up.

Keystone FC
02-20-2009, 01:28 PM
I think I may be an exception to this rule of conservative Americans hating soccer. I'm an American and a conservative and I love the sport. I like most sports with the exception of baseball...maybe it's time for me to go back to my re-education center on American culture.
Kartik Krishnaiyer is a wack job and contradictes himself at all turns. He says that conservative Fox News is TOTALLY against soccer and if you are a fan then you support terrorist and illlegals. Well I guess I'm off to Gitmo.
Then he does an 180 and mentions Keith Olberman (formally of ESPN and a bed wetting pinko liberal) also hates soccer. How can this be?
Not to mention, like some have, that Rupert Murdoch (owner of Fox News) started Sky Sport and Fox Soccer Channel...and here's the kicker Rupert is Australian.
A Australian conservative who likes soccer!? The man is to be shot on site.
Than he tries to make a point at saying that most of the sports journalists in America never played soccer and that they come from a single minded orientation of America first and the world...there's a world out there?
What he fails to see is that these sports journalists write for American newspapers and television....which a majority are LIBERAL!
Then he mangles it up even more about the spew that was heaved at Beck's by sports writers and fans alike for being a foreigner...news flash...EVERYONE spewed on Becks not because he was a foreigner but because he was a high profile target and most fans saw this as the MLS trying to get more glam and less gut in the league. He should see what we did to Landycakes...(the nickname says it all).
This is just Liberal drivel aimed at conservatives who are being blamed for everything right now. I notice more and more articles like these come out when there is a Demoncrat in the House. Not to say the Repuklicans are any better.

flatpicker
02-20-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm an American and a conservative...

I think that's grounds for having your RPB membership revoked!

;)

Beach_Red
02-20-2009, 02:31 PM
This is just Liberal drivel aimed at conservatives who are being blamed for everything right now. I notice more and more articles like these come out when there is a Demoncrat in the House. Not to say the Repuklicans are any better.

You're right.

I think the definitions are messed up. There really should be a different word for Americans who are xenophobic, racist jerks. Just because they call themselves conservative doesn't make them real conservatives.

The article made some reasonable points about some attutudes towards soccer, but drew the analogy out too much. He should also relax when people call it, "soccer."

I'm pretty liberal, but I think real conservatives are getting the worst deal right now. They're all being lumped together. It's as ridiculous as calling a center-right politician like Obama a Marxist.

And, of course, it's possible you're not as conservative as you think ;).

Super
02-20-2009, 03:13 PM

So what? The point is still valid. Red Eye is not to be taken seriously, not meant to be either, and nor is the Daily Show. Its purpose is to be politically incorrect. Just like the Daily Show.

Super
02-20-2009, 03:17 PM
I think I may be an exception to this rule of conservative Americans hating soccer. I'm an American and a conservative and I love the sport. I like most sports with the exception of baseball...maybe it's time for me to go back to my re-education center on American culture.

Please don't forget that this board is full of left-wingers. The idea that your politics dictates your love for a particular sport is as weak as the NDP party platform. Oops, just offended 90% of the RPB's :D

Redcoe15
02-20-2009, 03:20 PM
There is a major difference between Red Eye and the Daily Show; the Daily Show is funny and smarter.
Fixed! :D

TFC Via Buffalo
02-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Kartik Krishnaiyer is a wack job and contradictes himself at all turns. He says that conservative Fox News is TOTALLY against soccer and if you are a fan then you support terrorist and illlegals. Well I guess I'm off to Gitmo.
Then he does an 180 and mentions Keith Olberman (formally of ESPN and a bed wetting pinko liberal) also hates soccer. How can this be?
Not to mention, like some have, that Rupert Murdoch (owner of Fox News) started Sky Sport and Fox Soccer Channel...and here's the kicker Rupert is Australian.
A Australian conservative who likes soccer!? The man is to be shot on site.
Than he tries to make a point at saying that most of the sports journalists in America never played soccer and that they come from a single minded orientation of America first and the world...there's a world out there?
What he fails to see is that these sports journalists write for American newspapers and television....which a majority are LIBERAL!
Then he mangles it up even more about the spew that was heaved at Beck's by sports writers and fans alike for being a foreigner...news flash...EVERYONE spewed on Becks not because he was a foreigner but because he was a high profile target and most fans saw this as the MLS trying to get more glam and less gut in the league. He should see what we did to Landycakes...(the nickname says it all).

I agree. To say that it's a conservative thing is garbage, I'd call myself a Democrat. I agree with the Republican stance on some stuff, but I'm not some insane liberal either who's feelings get hurt when someone says something mean or that I disagree with.

I always liked the soccer/football, but just recently became a hopless addict. (Thanks TFC) However, I will love my American Football more. It's what I was raised on and it will never be replaced as my favorite sport. Soccer has leap frogged to #2 because it is a phenomenal game. College Basketball is #3 and baseball doesn't even register. It doesn't matter your political stance, it's about your openess to learn and understand something new. I used to think Golf was dumb. I love it now since I watched it and understand it without just saying, "Duh, this is boring. No one's being hit." Soccer will always be on an uphill struggle because it has never really been drilled in and made part of American culture the way football and baseball and basketball have been. Can it make it's way up there? Sure. The "beautiful game" speaks for itself. I've converted friends after they finally went/watched a game and I've explained the rules and such. The main goal of MLS and soccer in the US in general should not to replace other sports as being someone's favorite, but to bring them to that type of passion where they honestly give a dam nyou exsist and want to watch.

Beach_Red
02-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Please don't forget that this board is full of left-wingers. The idea that your politics dictates your love for a particular sport is as weak as the NDP party platform. Oops, just offended 90% of the RPB's :D

Why, is there some connection between the NDP and the left?

:D

alexintoronto
02-20-2009, 05:39 PM

COME ON!!!!

Let me know when Hannity says anything like this and we can talk Fox News.

Only one of the shows has any humour.

olegunnar
02-20-2009, 06:01 PM
We already know Americans on the whole are xenophoic. Why do we need another article on that?

TFC Via Buffalo
02-20-2009, 06:20 PM
We already know Americans on the whole are xenophoic. Why do we need another article on that?

Because the author is probably trying to be "Dochey, too hip for the room, I watch soccer, i'm better then the typical American neanderthal" guy.

Technorgasm
02-20-2009, 06:47 PM
xyWZyGEh5DY

I make no quams about how I loath NFL.

I am saturated with it by my sisters in-laws. and a large part of my friends, who do nothing but Diss REAL footy to no end.

I couldnt even stay awake for the super bowl, and it was a VERY exciting game.

Not my game, I dont see all this creative stuff

mclaren
02-20-2009, 06:49 PM
What a load of crap that article is.

Technorgasm
02-20-2009, 06:50 PM
I will continue. .every year, the day after the Shite bowl, I drag a small balck plastic coffin around my kitchen with an NFL sticker on it.

Even posting in this thread now that, that shite is happily behind us for the season is gross.

Cashcleaner
02-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Blah, blah, blah. Some people like soccer, some don't. Are we that insecure that we have to defend our sport everytime someone says a disparaging word about it?

Sorry, but I got bigger things to worry about...

Super Cereal
02-20-2009, 06:53 PM
I will continue. .every year, the day after the Shite bowl, I drag a small balck plastic coffin around my kitchen with an NFL sticker on it.

Even posting in this thread now that, that shite is happily behind us for the season is gross.

We heard you the first time.

Keystone FC
02-21-2009, 05:41 AM
I think that's grounds for having your RPB membership revoked!

;)

I had a feeling that this might be my last will and testament as a RPB as I was writing it.
:D

Keystone FC
02-21-2009, 06:09 AM
You're right.

I think the definitions are messed up. There really should be a different word for Americans who are xenophobic, racist jerks. Just because they call themselves conservative doesn't make them real conservatives.

The article made some reasonable points about some attutudes towards soccer, but drew the analogy out too much. He should also relax when people call it, "soccer."

I'm pretty liberal, but I think real conservatives are getting the worst deal right now. They're all being lumped together. It's as ridiculous as calling a center-right politician like Obama a Marxist.

And, of course, it's possible you're not as conservative as you think ;).

You've touched on a very interesting topic that has gone away with this past election. I remember people using political terms such as Liberal Republican and Conservative Democrat but that has gone by the wayside. You're either Liberal or Conservative which doesn't fly with me. Americans are supose to live in a land full of opprotunites and choices and we are then told you are either an Elephant or a Donkey?
This also goes along with how people think and feel. You are right I am a Conservative but I can be Liberal on other issues. It just goes back to how I was brought up and how I think and feel. To blindly say that you are such and such because you are a Conservative or a Liberal is like saying Toronto can't support a soccer team because they follow EPL or the SPL too closely.....see how that statement turned out.;)
Like you said he did make some interesting comments but it was blown out of the water by attaching it to a conservative base.
Now if he said Why is Xenaphobia destroying soccer and not other sports, then we have a article that can be looked at without baiting.

Keystone FC
02-21-2009, 06:17 AM
I know. I joke with some of my friends down here when they ask me, with wide-eyed curiosity, if everyone in Canada is a Socialists. I answer, 'Let's just say that the KFC in Toronto only serves left wings.'. They look at me and say, 'Really?'....... :rolleyes:

Keystone FC
02-21-2009, 06:23 AM
I agree. To say that it's a conservative thing is garbage, I'd call myself a Democrat. I agree with the Republican stance on some stuff, but I'm not some insane liberal either who's feelings get hurt when someone says something mean or that I disagree with.

And that's just it. Just because we call ourselves something or align ourselves with a group doesn't mean we are totally under it's control or agree with everything it stands for.
The RPB is a good example of that. There are those who are fully behind in what we do and then there are those who question some of the actions taken in certain circumstances. We are free to change our minds whenever for whatever reason.

Keystone FC
02-21-2009, 06:32 AM

Bill Archer....paiging Bill Archer....you are needed in the Thread Room.

Keystone FC
02-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Blah, blah, blah. Some people like soccer, some don't. Are we that insecure that we have to defend our sport everytime someone says a disparaging word about it?

Sorry, but I got bigger things to worry about...

I wouldn't be any different form another America just doesn't get soccer article but this one wants to actually say that a certain sect of American mentality are to blame for soccer not 'making it'. Even tough it's a blog it still means that there is a mind set out there that thinks this way as well.
That's what makes this article a bit different from all the rest.

Cashcleaner
02-21-2009, 11:34 AM
You've touched on a very interesting topic that has gone away with this past election. I remember people using political terms such as Liberal Republican and Conservative Democrat but that has gone by the wayside. You're either Liberal or Conservative which doesn't fly with me. Americans are suppose to live in a land full of opportunity and choices and we are then told you are either an Elephant or a Donkey?

Oh man, so very true. Having a two-party system doesn't help matters, but the current polarization going on is really too much. This whole mentality of us vs. them has thrown proper political debate right out the window.

Heathen
02-21-2009, 05:21 PM

I don't know why you're getting so upset over this, from what I see no one is saying conservatives can't like soccer what's being said here is that conservatives tend to be more into traditional North American sports. i mean conservatives are by definition are traditionalists in terms of their values so why wouldn't that apply to their taste in sports :noidea:

koryo
02-21-2009, 06:41 PM
So let me get this straight: some people like football and some don't.

Next please...

GuelphStorm2007
02-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I notice people who slag on Soccer really do not know anything about the sport to be begin with any way. Whether there political leanings are Left or Right. I will say this though I notice people who are more leaniing to the left are more open minded to the sport. while people who are in the right still knock the game with the same dribbel, that is just my observation.